Using SONAR x1 LE and cant get my STEAM bought Rapture to recognizse the SteamREg.exe file

Author
AdeptErik
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2016/01/03 21:09:15 (permalink)

Using SONAR x1 LE and cant get my STEAM bought Rapture to recognizse the SteamREg.exe file

It says to re-install...done that 4 times now, and restarted with varying results...sometimes its worse and the VST wont even load or be recognized on SONAR startup. I am sure I moved the file with all the others each time. ITs there, just not recognising that it is there.

any help or thoughts would be appreciated as I have a demo only mode and it cuts out the soudn all the time...massively annoying just for fooling around with presets let alone doign anythign for real of course. I ahve a similar request for help on steam but over a day now and crickets over there.

3 Replies Related Threads

John Joseph [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re: Using SONAR x1 LE and cant get my STEAM bought Rapture to recognizse the SteamREg.exe 2016/01/05 12:01:04 (permalink)
    So, just to make sure I'm following, you own Sonar X1 LE and you bought Rapture (Pro or Session?) on Steam, and you can't get out of Demo Mode because it says SteamReg.exe is missing?

Can you walk me through your process? It sounds like you may be copying the plugin manually, which probably won't work. 
    AdeptErik
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Using SONAR x1 LE and cant get my STEAM bought Rapture to recognizse the SteamREg.exe 2016/01/05 23:42:09 (permalink)
    thanks for your reply.

yes you understand perfectly and indeed I tried to cut and paste files and messed things up way worse as a result. My problem is I followed allthe directions on the steam message board site and yet there were no step by step direction to use the launch method, only recommendations. I launced each and every time, was never prompted to do anythign further and yet the demo mode was the only thing that resulted. I could load the steam cakewalk vst file manager, but yhen it asks me to browse for destination locations to link I assume, one 64 and one 32...but i hve no idea what folders to assign there as I cant assign the sonar vst folder to both....at least one has to be different and i have no idea where I should assign either of the 32 or 64 locations.

seth, the guy who sets up the stean versions of your products said that I should automatically get a "microhost." Please describe what this is as I dont beleive I have ever encountered it, and it may be why my installation is failing. A reminder that I treid to follwo the directions FIRST each time before medddlign with files, so the meddling with files just created worse problems, not the inital problem...two times after starting form scratch I could get the demo mode working in the my cakewalk vst folder but it was the demo mode..this is the main problem, not recognizing the steamreg.exe file immediately after initial launch. 
    John Joseph [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re: Using SONAR x1 LE and cant get my STEAM bought Rapture to recognizse the SteamREg.exe 2016/01/06 09:33:43 (permalink)
    Let me answer what I can. 

The microhost is a mini program designed to let you use the synth outside of a DAW like Sonar. To use that from Steam, double click the product in your account. You should have three options - the two that say "Launch Z3TA 2" will launch the microhost and let you use the plugin. 

The plugin manager is a program we've written that allows you to create "symbolic links" to your plugins inside the folders checked by the DAW you're using. If you run that program, you must specify the 32 bit or 64 bit plugin folders scanned by Sonar. When you specify those folders and press "Link All 32/64 bit Plugins", it should create symbolic links in those folders. Then, when you scan for plugins in Sonar, the scanner will see the link and treat it as a plugin. 

The reason this is important is that the SteamReg program needs to exist within the steam folders; by making the link, you let it stay inside those folders and allow it to work properly. We do this sort of thing all the time in development while we're building and debugging plugins. 

As for Sonar X1, I have no experience with that program and don't know where it looks for plugins / how to rescan plugins, but I'd guess that the folder is something like

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins
    or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins\Cakewalk

Maybe someone else on these forums can tell you how to kick off a rescan. 

Now, with all that said, I can't really guarantee any of this will work. If you've really cut and pasted files from the steam folder to another location, you're in somewhat uncharted territory. My suggestion would be to delete the files you've pasted elsewhere and ensure that Z3TA+ 2 no longer appears in Sonar as an instrument. Once you're certain Sonar no longer knows about Z3TA+ 2, right click Z3TA+ 2 in Steam and select "Delete Local Content". Then reinstall the plugin and set up your links using the plugin manager and rescan.

That "should" work, but I'm not sure exactly what you did when you moved the plugin, so I say again that behavior is at this point undefined. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1