Selecting an external Hard Drive for Laptop

Author
ricoskyl
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 327
2016/01/18 15:52:01 (permalink)

Selecting an external Hard Drive for Laptop

I'm planning to buy an external drive for my laptop.  I'll use it for project files and periodic backups.  The problem is that there are a lot of different specs and I'm not sure how these work with Sonar.

First of all, I did review the resources I could find on the Cakewalk forums, but the ones I encountered were 5 to 10 years old and iu know a lot of the technology has changed since then.  I have a relatively new laptop with Win 10, an i7 (5550) cpu, 12 gb RAM, an upgraded NVidia Geforce GPU, and an a 1Tb internal drive.  Most important for this issue is that it supports USB 3.0 which I know will increase disk throughput.  Here are my issues:
  1. This is the computer I use most of the time, and I often work with Sonar away from the studio.  I don't want my drive install to create confusion when I boot SONAR without the drive attached.  Is there any good way to handle this?  For instance, does Sonar support cascading file location assignments?  
  2. What specs are most important for this application?  I know there are different file formats (NTFS?) and bus technologies (SATA? RAID? etc?) Are these relevant if I'm connecting via USB?
  3. Is there a reliable indication of disk performance?  Does RPM correlate directly to performance?
There are so drives on the market, and the prices are pretty competitive.  I don't want to skimp on something important, but I'm also not using the system for professional work where I'll have the luxury of a return on this investment.  I don't need to archive someone else's data forever and ever, either.

Any suggestions?

If you want to make enemies, try to change something. -Woodrow T. Wilson
Turbulence is a life force. It is opportunity. Let’s love turbulence and use it for change. -Ramsay Clark
----------------------
Sonar Platinum Win 10 x64 on HP Pavilion i7 5500 12Gb RAM, Tascam US-16x08, NVidia 840 8Gb vram, Multi-Screen, Multi-Touch

13 Replies Related Threads

Zargg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: Selecting an external Hard Drive for Laptop 2016/01/18 16:08:44 (permalink)
    Hi. If you can within your budget, I would get an USB3 HD or SATA (if available), with 7200 RPM. Other will know more about HD RAM.
    But I ran my projects (a few years ago) from an USB external HD, with few problems.
    The problems I had was due to my external HD being to slow (5400 rpm green HD).
    I have one USB3 HD now, that is used for simple projects between my laptop and studio pc, without any issues.
    Hope it helps.
    Best of  luck.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Fred Holmes
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 376
    Re: Selecting an external Hard Drive for Laptop 2016/01/18 16:12:29 (permalink)
    My question would be what are you planning to put on the disk? Programs, data, samples, ...

I use an external usb HD on my laptop strictly for my sample files. Its a USB 3 Western Digital 07A8 My Passport device (now almost 2 years old).

To avoid hard disk naming issues I initiated it as drive S: SampleDisk so it never conflicts with any other disk. I only use it when creating music that requires samples external to Sonar Platinum.

I'd go for a usb3 device (if your laptop has it). Disk rpm is a factor but I don't think you'll find a 7200 external rpm disk(at least I couldn't when I was looking for one)

Fred
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Selecting an external Hard Drive for Laptop 2016/01/18 17:56:46 (permalink)
    Fred Holmes

I'd go for a usb3 device (if your laptop has it). Disk rpm is a factor but I don't think you'll find a 7200 external rpm disk(at least I couldn't when I was looking for one)

There are dozens of 7200 rpm external drives available, just not all in a credit card form factor. A search at Newegg.com specifying 7200 rpm in the filter yields 283 hits. But finding out what the drive in the box actually is can require opening the case (voids the warranty) or connecting it and using the properties page to find the model number. The manufacturer's spec sheets tend to treat the actual drive as a mystery. You are much more likely to get a slow drive if you buy small size or a USB powered model, because battery/power saving is the only good reason that 5400 drives are still on the market. The main issue, once you have the drive you want is to make sure it is not a "green" drive or a power saving drive controller if you are doing live recording to it. If it spins down or powers off that can get bumpy. You can take complete control of the situation by buying a well specced drive housing and putting your own full sized (not notebook) drive into it. 

orangesporanges
    • Total Posts : 342
    Re: Selecting an external Hard Drive for Laptop 2016/01/18 21:00:47 (permalink)
    I concur with Zargg and Fred, USB 3, 7200 rpm is the way to go. FWIW, I put all the audio on one drive OS and all programs on the other. Having the one head dedicated to reading audio and the other running the program takes a lot of the strain of read /write off of  just trying to make one hdd do it all.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 64bit, 3.4ghz i7CPU,  16gigs RAM, 1x 1TB SSD system drive 1 x 1TB HDD ( audio only)
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re: Selecting an external Hard Drive for Laptop 2016/01/18 22:20:59 (permalink)
    Nope, these guys are in the past.  I use a Samsung Evo 850 SSD with a Nexstar Case-this is connected via USB 3.  I can easily run 50 tracks of audio, with instruments and effects and all low-latency.  I only use it for recording, and video work and transfer files onto other media for storage so it's only 128 gigs and this only cost me 150 bucks.  

Honestly using spindle harddrive these days for audio and video will only create headaches.

Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    ricoskyl
    • Total Posts : 327
    Re: Selecting an external Hard Drive for Laptop 2016/01/18 22:35:33 (permalink)
    So solid state is the smart of it's combined with a generic HD. At that point, it seems the HD specs would be a lot less important. Interesting.

If you want to make enemies, try to change something. -Woodrow T. Wilson
    Turbulence is a life force. It is opportunity. Let’s love turbulence and use it for change. -Ramsay Clark
    ----------------------
    Sonar Platinum Win 10 x64 on HP Pavilion i7 5500 12Gb RAM, Tascam US-16x08, NVidia 840 8Gb vram, Multi-Screen, Multi-Touch
    patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re: Selecting an external Hard Drive for Laptop 2016/01/19 09:38:37 (permalink)
    Been using Spindle drives to capture Live audio for YEARS.  No issues.  USB 2.0 and old 7200 RPM (some even IDE).

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Selecting an external Hard Drive for Laptop 2016/01/19 10:32:53 (permalink)
    If you laptop already has 1TB then I don't see a need for the external other than for back up. 
    I just use those $100 1 TB type that are USB3. Toshiba makes good ones.  I have 3 of them, each for differrent back up. One is a 2 TB and has a back up of everything possible on all our computers. Thats the one I grab when the aliens attack. 
    I also have a few old school drive enclosers , they cost around $25 but need a power supply. They are back ups of the back ups. I never through hard drives away. I still have my original 5 GB drive from 1999. It still works( I think?) 

My laptop has a 256 GB SSD drive and I record our band every gig. I then copy to my External where it will stay forever untouched. Then tha get copied to my main DAW where I edit and mess around. I then delete the folders from the laptop and make fresh ones for the next gig
    post edited by Cactus Music - 2016/01/19 10:49:47

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Selecting an external Hard Drive for Laptop 2016/01/19 15:00:17 (permalink)
    If you plan on using the drive for more than backup or just want to know the performance characteristics of the drive, consider buying the enclosure and drive separately. If you change the project folder in SONAR preferences and the drive is not available when SONAR starts up, the program will change the preference setting back to the default "C:\Cakewalk Projects" and use the path until you manually change the preference setting.
    olemon
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 768
    Re: Selecting an external Hard Drive for Laptop 2016/01/19 20:28:20 (permalink)
    I won't/can't speak to the finer technical points, but what I did, about a year now, was purchase a USB 3.0 compatible 7200 rpm external drive and a Cool Max enclosure - from NewEgg I believe.

The advice here about leaving Sonar installed on my laptop's internal drive and using the external drive for project files and audio is exactly what I did.  Works great.

https://www.reverbnation.com/scottholson

Platinum, Studio One 3 Pro, Win 10 (x64), AMD FX-8350, ASUS M5A97 R2.0, 16GB, RME UCX, Digimax DP88, Faderport 8, Revive Audio Mod Studio Channel, Vintage Audio M72, Summit Audio TLA-50, KRK Rokit 5 G2 Monitors, Guitars

"If you wait till the last minute, it only takes a minute."
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re: Selecting an external Hard Drive for Laptop 2016/01/20 02:21:37 (permalink)
    ricoskyl
    So solid state is the smart of it's combined with a generic HD. At that point, it seems the HD specs would be a lot less important. Interesting.

Sorry, I don't check this forum everyday.  A lot of the stuff your talking about is now obsolete.  Raid, NTFS, FAT. Honestly just buy a smallish SSD drive whatever you need, perhaps buy a second storage drive.  They're so cheap now, we're in a different time now.  Gosh most of the advice in this post is last decade, and I should know I've been in this caper now since 1999.  All hard drives these days' are NTFS, FAT 32 was the old standard and meant that you couldn't haven't have files any bigger than 4gig.

I run massive video files off my hard drive and I'm only just reaching the limit.  And by massive video files, we're talking 50fps and 60fps over laid on top of one another...so 6gig and more going through the pipe at one time.  Music wise, I was pushing 48 tracks of audio, effects and 10 VSTi's last year and only at the very end did I need to increase the latency.  All through the recording I was able to use Guitar Rig 4, whilst recording-and not have any audible latency until the very end.

A swapable HD wont effect Sonar, I've run a swapable HD system since 2010.  If you run into any problems just clear the INI file.  Don't ask me off the top of my head about the details.

Just run Sonar off the laptop drive, along with samples and the like and everything will be fine.

Cheers Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    orangesporanges
    • Total Posts : 342
    Re: Selecting an external Hard Drive for Laptop 2016/01/21 16:11:15 (permalink)
    Ben is right, IF you want a 128GB drive. there is no denying that SSD is way faster, as they have no moving parts. If you want higher storage capacity, you may find SSD to be a little cost prohibitive, in which a higher capacity HDD may be a little more forgiving on the wallet. If you decide the latter, the 7200 rpm USB3 advice still stands.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 64bit, 3.4ghz i7CPU,  16gigs RAM, 1x 1TB SSD system drive 1 x 1TB HDD ( audio only)
    denverdrummer
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 278
    Re: Selecting an external Hard Drive for Laptop 2016/01/25 16:05:20 (permalink)
    SSD prices have come way down.  Yes spindles are way cheaper, but now USB 3.0 SSD is the way to go, and  I even use a USB 3.0 thumb drive that's 128G for recording sessions that I got for around $50.  Makes it so easy with portability and ease of use, and the write speeds are close to SSD.

If you have to buy a mechanical hard drive, I'd recommend one for backing up projects to, but use SSD or flash storage for writing I/O.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1