Helpful ReplyLockedWhere are the Windows 10 drivers?

Author
frimpitsky
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2016/01/25 06:21:55 (permalink)

Where are the Windows 10 drivers?

I'm not going to renew my subscription for Sonar Platinum until I see some Windows 10 drivers for my V-studio 20. Heck, this is a hardware device I bought specifically from Cakewalk, for Sonar, just a few years back, and Cakewalk isn't keeping the product drivers current? I am currently not even able to use the V-studio now because I have Windows 10. Inexcusable, Cakewalk!!  You guys oughta be ashamed!!! 
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Where are the Windows 10 drivers? 2016/01/25 07:01:47 (permalink)
The V-studio series was created by Roland when they owned Cakewalk.  Even if Cakewalk could create Win10 drivers for it, they probably wouldn't be allowed to.
Check the Roland site (or other similar threads here) for current drivers/workarounds.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

garybrun
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 436
Re: Where are the Windows 10 drivers? 2016/01/25 08:02:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bernthchr 2016/11/22 14:10:32
There are workarounds to get your product working with Windows 10.
I am using the VS 700 system myself on Windows 10.

Not renewing your subscription will make the company go bankrupt (excuse the sarcasm)  :-)

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Win 10 64 bit, English,
Intel Core i7 4960X @ 3.67GHz, ASRock Motherboard, 48GB DDR3 1600MHz, Nvidea NVS 510, Intel 750 1.2 SSD, 488GB SSD, 300GB SSD, 22TB in SATA
Hardware: VS-700 set ASIO, Presonus RM32ai, Studio Live III 32, Studiolive 32R,  RME Fireface 800, Matrox MX02 Rack, Roland Integra 7, Roland A-88, Edirol R-4 Pro, Focusrite Liquid Channel x 2, Jomeek Studio Channel VC1Qcs, Ultra Dyne 9024, TD30KV, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Monitors: Focal TRIO6 BE, JBL Studio Monitor 4412, SE Monroe Egg 150, Avantone x 2.
Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: Where are the Windows 10 drivers? 2016/01/25 11:20:20 (permalink)
frimpitsky
I'm not going to renew my subscription for Sonar Platinum until I see some Windows 10 drivers for my V-studio 20. Heck, this is a hardware device I bought specifically from Cakewalk, for Sonar, just a few years back, and Cakewalk isn't keeping the product drivers current? I am currently not even able to use the V-studio now because I have Windows 10. Inexcusable, Cakewalk!!  You guys oughta be ashamed!!! 

Follow the instructions in this thread http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3267234 and you will get it working.  I know because I got my friends V20-Studio working under win 10 by following the information provided in that thread.

In answer to your unnecessary rant.

Roland made the hardware not Cakewalk, Cakewalk have nothing to be ashamed about.

Roland provided the Driver Not Cakewalk, again Cakewalk have nothing to be ashamed about.  

On the other hand I  do believe that Roland's actions are questionable and perhaps they should be very very very ashamed.

But how many hardware companies are there that just drop support for a product that is only a few years old but works perfectly if only for a driver.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
Karyn
Ma-Ma
Re: Where are the Windows 10 drivers? 2016/01/25 11:23:09 (permalink)
Wookiee
But how many hardware companies are there that just drop support for a product that is only a few years old but works perfectly if only for a driver.

Is that rhetorical or do you want the full list?

Mekashi Futo
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

frimpitsky
Re: Where are the Windows 10 drivers? 2016/01/26 02:09:27 (permalink)
Just because this "dropping the ball" on drivers phenomenon is quite common doesn't make my rant "unnecessary". And the whole "blame game" on Roland is bologna, because when my actual piece of hardware says CAKEWALK on it (yes, "Cakewalk by Roland") that means that Cakewalk was making an additional statement of their support of that hardware by having their name stamped on it. I don't think it'd start WW3 for Cakewalk to call up Roland and ask for a driver to be written, even if it's going to cost Cakewalk money. Hell, with all the thousands of dollars I've paid to Cakewalk for software over the years (and I'm sure I'm not the only one), you'd think it'd be important to Cakewalk to invest in long term customers by going the extra mile and pulling a few strings to keep the hardware they sell viable for at least a few years. Companies who partner need to see potential ties being severed at some point and, at the very least, make working contracts which ensure customer support for hardware for a reasonable amount of years. That's simply good business. The V-Studio 20 was released in March of 2010. Six years is not an unthinkable period to expect driver support for a product, especially when the product was available for sale for several years after that. Remember, I myself, and I'm sure quite a few others, did not buy the v-studio 20 and then look for software to run it with. We were long term Cakewalk Customers who bought a new device to use with SONAR, and a device that was advertised and sold by Cakewalk itself.  Now, does Roland suck too for doing this? Absolutely. And as far as the bankruptcy comment, well, my guess is I'm not the only person who purchased the v-studio 20 who feels this way. The software business is getting harder and harder and it never pays to piss off customers.
post edited by frimpitsky - 2016/01/26 04:47:11
Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: Where are the Windows 10 drivers? 2016/01/26 05:59:48 (permalink)
Karyn
Wookiee

Is that rhetorical or do you want the full list?

I think you know Karyn, but list away if you want I will start the list for you if you like

1. Focusrite Saffire Pro 26i/o the original model.

frimpitsky

Just because this "dropping the ball" on drivers phenomenon is quite common doesn't make my rant "unnecessary". And the whole "blame game" on Roland is bologna, because when my actual piece of hardware says CAKEWALK on it (yes, "Cakewalk by Roland") that means that Cakewalk was making an additional statement of their support of that hardware by having their name stamped on it. I don't think it'd start WW3 for Cakewalk to call up Roland and ask for a driver to be written, even if it's going to cost Cakewalk money. Hell, with all the thousands of dollars I've paid to Cakewalk for software over the years (and I'm sure I'm not the only one), you'd think it'd be important to Cakewalk to invest in long term customers by going the extra mile and pulling a few strings to keep the hardware they sell viable for at least a few years. Companies who partner need to see potential ties being severed at some point and, at the very least, make working contracts which ensure customer support for hardware for a reasonable amount of years. That's simply good business. The V-Studio 20 was released in March of 2010. Six years is not an unthinkable period to expect driver support for a product, especially when the product was available for sale for several years after that. Remember, I myself, and I'm sure quite a few others, did not buy the v-studio 20 and then look for software to run it with. We were long term Cakewalk Customers who bought a new device to use with SONAR, and a device that was advertised and sold by Cakewalk itself.  Now, does Roland suck too for doing this? Absolutely. And as far as the bankruptcy comment, well, my guess is I'm not the only person who purchased the v-studio 20 who feels this way. The software business is getting harder and harder and it never pays to piss off customers.

I hear you and feel your frustration as I note above I have a perfectly good Saffire Pro I can not use under windows 10, for two reason, Focusrite does not supply a driver for Win 10 and Microsoft have not included Legacy Firewire support.

But try as suggested here I know it will work

Follow the instructions in this thread http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3267234 and you will get it working. 
If you do not understand how then PM me and I will see what I can do to help.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Where are the Windows 10 drivers? 2016/01/26 16:54:34 (permalink)
frimpitskyJust because this "dropping the ball" on drivers phenomenon is quite common doesn't make my rant "unnecessary". And the whole "blame game" on Roland is bologna, because when my actual piece of hardware says CAKEWALK on it (yes, "Cakewalk by Roland") that means that Cakewalk was making an additional statement of their support of that hardware by having their name stamped on it. I don't think it'd start WW3 for Cakewalk to call up Roland and ask for a driver to be written, even if it's going to cost Cakewalk money. Hell, with all the thousands of dollars I've paid to Cakewalk for software over the years (and I'm sure I'm not the only one), you'd think it'd be important to Cakewalk to invest in long term customers by going the extra mile and pulling a few strings to keep the hardware they sell viable for at least a few years. Companies who partner need to see potential ties being severed at some point and, at the very least, make working contracts which ensure customer support for hardware for a reasonable amount of years. That's simply good business. The V-Studio 20 was released in March of 2010. Six years is not an unthinkable period to expect driver support for a product, especially when the product was available for sale for several years after that. Remember, I myself, and I'm sure quite a few others, did not buy the v-studio 20 and then look for software to run it with. We were long term Cakewalk Customers who bought a new device to use with SONAR, and a device that was advertised and sold by Cakewalk itself.  Now, does Roland suck too for doing this? Absolutely. And as far as the bankruptcy comment, well, my guess is I'm not the only person who purchased the v-studio 20 who feels this way. The software business is getting harder and harder and it never pays to piss off customers.

Really? You're blaming the wrong person here. Cakewalk doesn't do hardware. They are a software company who happened to be owned by Roland at the time and they thought it was a good idea to release hardware that worked specifically with the product they at the time owned. Cakewalk had very little to do with the hardware. If you want to post the blame somewhere, it needs to be on Roland. Many of us have been pushing for new drivers since Windows 10 came out. Hell, we had to push for Windows 8 drivers as well because Roland was uninterested in doing anything but sitting on their own thumbs which is still the case now as the only drivers they have released for the V-Studio for Win10 was for the VS-100.

If you want to complain to someone about it, complain to Roland. Send them emails, contact their executives, make yourself be heard to the people who can actually do something about it because something tells me Roland and Cakewalk left on not-so-good terms and they could care less about each other.

Frankly, you bought the cheapest interface out of all of them. If anyone has a right to be pissed off it's those of us who dumped THOUSANDS into the VS-700 which they now refuse to support. None of us are blaming Cakewalk for this as it's not their fault; you shouldn't be either.
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Where are the Windows 10 drivers? 2016/01/26 22:09:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2016/01/28 17:21:13
frimpitsky

It's time for a reality check. I understand your frustration, but you paint a picture that implies the solution is simple - just have Cakewalk call up Roland, or spend a few bucks. This is naive.

The VS-series products were designed, engineered, and manufactured by Roland. They are based around Roland's proprietary intellectual property, including custom hardware which was also designed, engineered, and manufactured by Roland. Although Gibson and Roland are on good terms, one never knows when winds will shift, and it's not prudent to give your proprietary technology to a company that may someday be a competitor.

If you read the EULA for virtually any software, there are constraints against reverse engineering. There are also non-disclosure agreements in place at companies. Unless the relationship between Cakewalk and Roland was extremely unusual, Cakewalk cannot reverse-engine Roland's software (not that Cakewalk's software expertise is drivers; that's a whole other type of code), nor solicit the IP behind those drivers. Those drivers no doubt touch on elements that Roland considers proprietary. So if Roland isn't going to write drivers, and Cakewalk doesn't have the expertise to write drivers, then Cakewalk would have to hire some third party and it would be even less likely that Roland would want to expose their IP.

As to the idea that it's Cakewalk's responsibility to cover the expenses of Roland developing drivers, that too is unrealisitic. Resources Cakewalk devotes to fixing another company's product diverts resources from supporting customers of products that are actually made by Cakewalk. Sure, Cakewalk could probably fire a bunch of people in support, and pay Roland to develop drivers for a product from six years ago not made by Cakewalk, and when Cakewalk was under different ownership. That does not benefit the people who want Cakewalk support for Cakewalk products that they are using right now.

frimpitskyCompanies who partner need to see potential ties being severed at some point and, at the very least, make working contracts which ensure customer support for hardware for a reasonable amount of years. That's simply good business.

Roland purchased Cakewalk, not the other way around. Therefore it was up to Roland to dictate the terms of what happens with their intellectual property; Cakewalk was in no position to demand that Roland support complementary software, or operating systems made by neither Roland nor Cakewalk, for "x" number of years.

Finally you're overlooking another reality, which is you can get the V-series hardware working under Windows 10. In fact it was people at Roland who described a workaround for getting the V-Studio to work with Windows 10.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
frimpitsky
Re: Where are the Windows 10 drivers? 2016/01/26 22:19:58 (permalink)
TerraSin, quit being silly. What I am suggesting would actually help CAKEWALK in the long term, unless they are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN they will NEVER AGAIN sell hardware. It would benefit CAKEWALK to BEG Roland for those driver rewrites, or hire someone themselves to rewrite the drivers and pay them to do it. Roland is a mega millions corporation and, as huge pricks as they apparently are, they stand almost nothing to lose by not rewriting a driver for an updated operating system. Cakewalk, on the other hand, is a far smaller company who obviously needs some sort of parent company to even stay afloat. Now they are owned by Gibson, and if Gibson sells some sort of hardware through the Cakewalk website, are you going to buy it? Something tells me your answer would be a resounding "NO". I know that would be my answer. And don't think I am not in the process of ruffling whatever feathers I can on the Roland websites, but that doesn't mean I am not going to voice my opinion here. I will not stay silent simply because I didn't get quite as "ripped-off" as you did with my purchase. That's your problem if you value protecting a company's reputation over your true experience with that company. And I just don't think a driver rewrite would be as terribly complicated a solution as everyone is making it out to be. Perhaps I am wrong. Regardless, companies need honest feedback from customers, even if that means hearing an angry voice once in a while. Your denial to face reality means you will likely get ripped off on something like the VS-700 again in the future. I have tremendous respect for Cakewalk and have been a loyal purchaser since 1998. I would have to do a tally, but my guess is I have spent upwards of 3 or 4 thousand dollars on Cakewalk products in nearly a 20 year period, and I feel that is a conservative estimate. I am no expert in how separate companies join together for business in the fashion which Roland and Cakewalk did for whatever period of time they did business, but I DO know that, if they were indeed partners, BOTH partners had responsibility in this current predicament. If I marry a pregnant woman and decide to adopt her child as my own, a few years later, if things don't work out and I leave, I don't get to say "well, someone else knocked her up." Nor does the mother get to say "I'm gonna leave our child also, because YOU left!" They are BOTH responsible for that child's well-being and will BOTH BE HELD responsible if the child is neglected. Now, admittedly, it's a stretch in terms of the direness of the related situations, but I hope you can at least make the connection. The "blame game", solely on Roland, which you continue to play may shut most people up, but it still doesn't help the fact that anyone who got screwed with the driver situation is NOT going to ever buy any hardware from Cakewalk, or through Cakewalk, ever again. Case closed.
frimpitsky
Re: Where are the Windows 10 drivers? 2016/01/26 22:30:59 (permalink)
So, in response to Mr. Anderton's comments, I will say this. What this teaches me is to NEVER purchase hardware from a company who does not make both the hardware and software under a single name and ownership of complete rights to BOTH products. And I better buy and use the SOFTWARE from that company also!! This seems to be the only solution. I suppose studying the track record for driver support on any hardware is also a prudent thing to do. But all the legalities, etc. in the world don't help someone who has lost money in such a fashion. I will use any remaining arguments I have to help potential customers beware of the realities of purchasing hardware from a company who does not also make the software they are using. This is something I never really thought of before.
frimpitsky
Re: Where are the Windows 10 drivers? 2016/01/27 00:03:43 (permalink)
UPDATE: I have tried the solutions offered on the above link. None of them work. I really don't like fixes as such anyway, as there is no guarantee of stability in such situations. Whether the software to run the built in effects on the V-Studio 20 would even work on Windows 10 is another question, and yet that is the can of worms I may have to open even if I am ever successful getting the unit itself running again. I apologize if my comments seemed inflammatory to some...not my intention at all. But there is definitely a paradigm that exists within the reality of how the tiny consumer gets stomped in the dealings of the very corporations and companies we support. One would think that the companies who represent music (itself being an art form) would desire to shift this paradigm. It is sad that people think the current reality is somehow acceptable. Things will actually get much worse before they become better. Interestingly, I did a google search to see if there were any class action lawsuits regarding the premature obsoleteness of drivers for certain hardware. Surprisingly, I found nothing. This may be the entire problem...consumers are willing to sit back and get screwed over again and again, and because of that, they will continue to get screwed. As for me, I will focus on my Ableton software, which admittedly lacks some of the bells and whistles of Cakewalk, but is unfailingly stable. Also, Ableton is a company which continues support for it's hardware even when sold under it's own name but made by a different company (ie.PUSH 1, as PUSH 2 is made by Ableton itself, and yet Push 1, which was made by Akai, is still being thoroughly supported). I will sorely miss SONAR's audio editing capabilities, which Ableton lacks, but I miss having an operable audio interface even more. I refuse to experience this ever again and hope, at the very least, that the next time Cakewalk decides to sell hardware made by a partnered company, which it obviously has no REAL legal ties to (as I suppose is also the case with Gibson) that they won't stamp their name on the product and that they won't sell the product on their website, hailing its perfect compatibility with its own software. It's very misleading if, in the end, all the other company has to do is walk away and then my product is obsolete. Bad business.  
Atsuko
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 365
Re: Where are the Windows 10 drivers? 2016/01/27 11:00:35 (permalink)
frimpitsky
UPDATE: I have tried the solutions offered on the above link. None of them work. I really don't like fixes as such anyway, as there is no guarantee of stability in such situations. Whether the software to run the built in effects on the V-Studio 20 would even work on Windows 10 is another question, and yet that is the can of worms I may have to open even if I am ever successful getting the unit itself running again. I apologize if my comments seemed inflammatory to some...not my intention at all. But there is definitely a paradigm that exists within the reality of how the tiny consumer gets stomped in the dealings of the very corporations and companies we support. One would think that the companies who represent music (itself being an art form) would desire to shift this paradigm. It is sad that people think the current reality is somehow acceptable. Things will actually get much worse before they become better. Interestingly, I did a google search to see if there were any class action lawsuits regarding the premature obsoleteness of drivers for certain hardware. Surprisingly, I found nothing. This may be the entire problem...consumers are willing to sit back and get screwed over again and again, and because of that, they will continue to get screwed. As for me, I will focus on my Ableton software, which admittedly lacks some of the bells and whistles of Cakewalk, but is unfailingly stable. Also, Ableton is a company which continues support for it's hardware even when sold under it's own name but made by a different company (ie.PUSH 1, as PUSH 2 is made by Ableton itself, and yet Push 1, which was made by Akai, is still being thoroughly supported). I will sorely miss SONAR's audio editing capabilities, which Ableton lacks, but I miss having an operable audio interface even more. I refuse to experience this ever again and hope, at the very least, that the next time Cakewalk decides to sell hardware made by a partnered company, which it obviously has no REAL legal ties to (as I suppose is also the case with Gibson) that they won't stamp their name on the product and that they won't sell the product on their website, hailing its perfect compatibility with its own software. It's very misleading if, in the end, all the other company has to do is walk away and then my product is obsolete. Bad business.  

Hi, William,
I have an audio interface Guitar Port that Line 6 made available Win 10 drivers but, even so, I coudn't make it work under Win 10! I've had a 2 week conversation with the support to no avail, they seemed not to understand what was happening and it was very visible their poor knowledge about this new Microsoft system.  So, I decided to roll back to Win 7 until I finish the work I'm doing.  I'm telling it to you because, even if you buy the hardware from a different company of the software, that will not garantee that they'd stay with you till the end.  My other interface from M-Audio also doesn't have drivers for Win 10 and they told us that it's not supported anymore...  Probably, Akai may have a different philosophy. Please, don't punish yourself.  Wookie has offered to help you if you PM him. Why don't you try it? Wish you all the best!

Desktop Intel I7 12GB RAM Win 10 64bit - Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen - Roland A-300 PRO - Yamaha HS50M speakers - Sonar Platinum/CbB - Samplitude Pro X3 - Studio One 4 - Melodyne 4 Studio - Ozone 8 Adv - Neutron 2 Adv - RX7 Adv - ARC2 // Notebook Dell I7 8GB RAM Win 10 64bit
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Where are the Windows 10 drivers? 2016/01/27 11:25:06 (permalink)
frimpitskyTerraSin, quit being silly. What I am suggesting would actually help CAKEWALK in the long term, unless they are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN they will NEVER AGAIN sell hardware. It would benefit CAKEWALK to BEG Roland for those driver rewrites, or hire someone themselves to rewrite the drivers and pay them to do it. Roland is a mega millions corporation and, as huge pricks as they apparently are, they stand almost nothing to lose by not rewriting a driver for an updated operating system. Cakewalk, on the other hand, is a far smaller company who obviously needs some sort of parent company to even stay afloat. Now they are owned by Gibson, and if Gibson sells some sort of hardware through the Cakewalk website, are you going to buy it? Something tells me your answer would be a resounding "NO". I know that would be my answer. And don't think I am not in the process of ruffling whatever feathers I can on the Roland websites, but that doesn't mean I am not going to voice my opinion here. I will not stay silent simply because I didn't get quite as "ripped-off" as you did with my purchase. That's your problem if you value protecting a company's reputation over your true experience with that company. And I just don't think a driver rewrite would be as terribly complicated a solution as everyone is making it out to be. Perhaps I am wrong. Regardless, companies need honest feedback from customers, even if that means hearing an angry voice once in a while. Your denial to face reality means you will likely get ripped off on something like the VS-700 again in the future. I have tremendous respect for Cakewalk and have been a loyal purchaser since 1998. I would have to do a tally, but my guess is I have spent upwards of 3 or 4 thousand dollars on Cakewalk products in nearly a 20 year period, and I feel that is a conservative estimate. I am no expert in how separate companies join together for business in the fashion which Roland and Cakewalk did for whatever period of time they did business, but I DO know that, if they were indeed partners, BOTH partners had responsibility in this current predicament. If I marry a pregnant woman and decide to adopt her child as my own, a few years later, if things don't work out and I leave, I don't get to say "well, someone else knocked her up." Nor does the mother get to say "I'm gonna leave our child also, because YOU left!" They are BOTH responsible for that child's well-being and will BOTH BE HELD responsible if the child is neglected. Now, admittedly, it's a stretch in terms of the direness of the related situations, but I hope you can at least make the connection. The "blame game", solely on Roland, which you continue to play may shut most people up, but it still doesn't help the fact that anyone who got screwed with the driver situation is NOT going to ever buy any hardware from Cakewalk, or through Cakewalk, ever again. Case closed.

Well you're correct about one thing: you are certainly no expert on how the business side works. Your analogy is so far off and far fetched that it makes my head hurt trying to compare the two situations.

The reality is that Roland owned Cakewalk for a time. They could use the name in any way that they chose to which in this case was putting it on a piece of hardware they were selling for a product they at the time owned. This had/has nothing to do with Cakewalk who is now owned by Gibson. Cakewalk has no rights to the V-Studio series for any purpose as it's a Roland product despite the Cakewalk name being on it. They also aren't going to waste their time "begging" Roland to make new drivers. The ownership is terminated. End of story. It's now up to the users who still want their product to work properly to push Roland to do something about it. It doesn't have anything to do with Cakewalk not caring about customers but there is literally nothing they can do about it and they have to focus on other things... like Sonar.

And you are correct on one thing: I learned a valuable lesson from buying the V-Studio which is to say I will never buy hardware made specifically for a branded piece of software ever again because of this. It's not limited to Cakewalk. Native Instruments (Kore), Steinberg (CMC Series), Propellerheads (Balance), etc. all have defunct hardware that was designed to work with their programs that got pulled and lost support. Lesson learned, time to move on with life.

Right now until Roland decides to stop screwing around, your only option is to figure out a way to get it working in 10 or revert back to the latest supported OS. Cakewalk isn't going to do anything about it as they have no control over it so complaining about them on their forum isn't going to help, making threats about not buying their products if they don't help isn't going to help, inability to understand how businesses work isn't going to help. What will help is you getting involved and pushing Roland to get these drivers made you through the proper channels and with a level head when you do address them so they give you the time of day. If you address them in the same way that you presented yourself here, chances are your complaint will go directly to the trash. You can be angry and yet civil with an intelligent argument and it will get you a lot further.

My understanding from the times I've talked to Roland is that Roland Japan is the one who halted the drivers as they are the ones that code them. That would be the place to contact as Roland US simply makes the drivers that Roland Japan creates for them available online and they themselves have no control over which ones are made and supported.

Edit: By the way, I'm extremely angry with the issue myself. Even with the modified drivers, I continue to have crashes on projects. It's not a fun situation but I'm not going to blame a company not at fault.
post edited by TerraSin - 2016/01/27 12:07:54
Karyn
Ma-Ma
Re: Where are the Windows 10 drivers? 2016/01/27 12:05:30 (permalink)
frimpitsky
So, in response to Mr. Anderton's comments, I will say this. What this teaches me is to NEVER purchase hardware from a company who does not make both the hardware and software under a single name and ownership of complete rights to BOTH products. And I better buy and use the SOFTWARE from that company also!! This seems to be the only solution.

So what you're saying is...

Buy a Presonus interface (let's say FireStudio 2626) designed, built and sold by Presonus.
Buy a PreSonus DAW (Studio One?) Designed, coded and sold by Presonus.  (Free version included with FS2626)

Everything will work happily ever after..

Until Windows 8 and Presonus say there will never be a driver update beyond Windows 7 for the Firestudio.
And we're now on Windows 10 and Microsoft don't support legacy firewire, and Presonus still refuse to support the FireStudio beyond Win7...   Infact the official line for using a still perfectly functioning FireStudio with Windows 10 is.....  

... use Windows 7.

Roland owned Cakewalk,  they could (and did) do whatever they wanted with the Cakewalk name.  They put it on a whole load of their hardware.  Is it up to Roland to support it.

Mekashi Futo

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Where are the Windows 10 drivers? 2016/01/27 23:05:43 (permalink)
I have an Apple tower that was produced a few weeks before the cutoff date after which the computer could not go past the Lion OS. There is absolutely no technical reason why the computer can't run a 64-bit operating system, and there are relatively simple hacks to make it happen. Apple could sell a $200 update kit and it would have a really nice profit margin. But they make a better profit margin if I buy a new computer.

I have a dual G5 that works just fine, but I can't even surf the internet with it because too many sites say "we don't support your browser" and there are no updated browsers.

A motherboard got fried on one of my Windows machines after a nearby lightning strike. The computer was two years old. The only possible way to get a replacement motherboard was finding someone selling a used one on eBay.

Anyone with a Venom synth? A great synth. When inMusic bought M-Audio, they abandoned it and just prior to inMusic buying M-Audio, M-Audio made a firmware change so the last editor program - which is essential for Venom - no longer worked. The company that wrote the editor couldn't afford to write a new one for free.

Ask Pro Tools users whatever happened to their investment in RTAS and TDM plug-ins. And good luck finding an LCD replacement screen for any one of a number of devices.

That VS-20 delivered unprecedented value compared to what it would have taken to create the same results only a few years before. People are more than happy to enjoy the upside of technological advancements, but then expect that there is no downside to a rapid rate of technological change. There is. You either grow up and accept it, or don't use high-tech gear.

Do I like it that things become unsupported? Of course not. This is why I advise people to consider any purchase of tech gear as something to be amortized over a period of time, because it will have a finite life span. Anyone who is not aware of that has not been paying attention.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Karyn
Ma-Ma
Re: Where are the Windows 10 drivers? 2016/01/28 08:03:00 (permalink)
In the olden days things were built to last.  Value for money was based on something still working when you passed it down to your grandchildren.  If it broke, you repaired it. (usually yourself).

Today, technology is advancing way way faster than "old" stuff is breaking.  Most hardware, given the chance, will have at least a 30 year lifespan, but most hardware will be superseded by "better" models of the same, long before then.  As technology improves, the time before a new release is getting shorter.

The singularity is fast approaching, it's the point that new models can be developed faster than the previous model can be made and shipped. So by the time a "new" model is designed, tested, factory altered for production, production run complete and in the shops...  It's out of date because the next, improved version is not just in development, but is ready....

Mekashi Futo

frimpitsky
Re: Where are the Windows 10 drivers? 2016/01/28 08:48:21 (permalink)
Wow. What an excuse-crippled bunch. You are exactly the shattered, beaten masses these corporations, with all their conveniently crippling self created legalese, love to take advantage of. Quit making excuses for bad business, or partner companies who enable bad business. I don't give a crap if everyone in the world is doing bad business, it is still WRONG to screw people over. No, I am not going to PM anyone to do a driver hack so I can have an artificially running, unstable system. That isn't a solution, it's bullcrap. I appreciate the offer, but no can do. But here's an idea I have that perhaps Cakewalk could do. Maybe, just maybe, they could offer me a price discount on my Sonar Platinum renewal for the fact that the hardware I bought through their site no longer works. There's a solution that maybe won't seem like rocket science or a mad pipe dream to some of you on here. Oh, and I think it's a fair solution, because it divides the cost of the rotten luck Roland apparently caused (according to all of you) to BOTH Cakewalk and myself, rather than just screwing me. How does that sound, oh wise men of the Cakewalk Forum? 
Karyn
Ma-Ma
Re: Where are the Windows 10 drivers? 2016/01/28 08:55:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2016/01/28 17:25:32
I feel for you, I truly do.  I'm in exactly the same position with my Presonus interface.  But getting angry and insulting users on a forum that are trying help you and have actually offered a working solution serves no purpose.

Thread closed.

Mekashi Futo

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1