LockedAllow tempo change but retain audio clips absolute sample position (Workaround is OK)

Author
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
2016/01/28 10:03:47 (permalink)
5 (1)

Allow tempo change but retain audio clips absolute sample position (Workaround is OK)

Currently, whenever I change the tempo, all audio clips are repositioned relative to beat/bar positions, resulting in gaps between the clips.

If the ruler is set to Samples, one can see that the clips no longer start at the same sample position.

User bitman pointed out that the current behavior makes sense in terms of Midi clips, but it is a problem if one wants to decide on a tempo after having split free-time live recorded tracks, as has happened to me now.

Please make it possible to adjust the tempo whilst retaining absolute sample position for the audio clips.

I realize this then raises the issue of what to do with any accompanying Midi clips, but so many of us use Sonar like a digital tape recorder exclusively.

Perhaps it might suffice to display a clear warning that if this feature is used, any Midi clips, having no concept of sample position, will therefore move (or more correctly, retain) their beat/bar position whilst the audio clips will not.
post edited by jpetersen - 2016/01/28 10:35:12

1 Reply Related Threads

jpetersen
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1499
    Re: Allow tempo change whilst retaining audio clips' absolute sample position. 2016/01/28 10:33:51 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    User gswitz pointed out that one can select all clips in the entire project, set the "Clip" properties from Musical to Absolute (and perhaps Time Format from M:B:T to Samples? My own theory), and this will then do what I need.

Afterwards I have to put everything back.

This is a fair amount of work for an entire multitrack song, but thinking about it rationally, for the rare occasion where I need to do one-time tempo adjusting, this really is a good enough solution.

So in other words, never mind. The workaround is fine.
    Once again, the depth of Sonar gives the user a way out.
    post edited by jpetersen - 2016/01/28 10:41:39
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1