Helpful ReplyFace to Face with Rick Wakeman

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Jonbouy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/11 16:20:15 (permalink)
jamesg1213
Jonbouy
Ahh, a passionate debate about prog. rock and a fallout as to whether Russ Conway or Rick Wakeman were the greater of the 20th century keyboard innovators.

This must be the Sonar forum I know and love.

Joe Bravo, Mike McCue and Roflcoptor will be along any minute to have a protracted argument on a point-by-point basis with you about that.

Or will they....

Who is/was Joe Bravo, or should I even ask?

Anyhow to the matter at hand to my mind I guess Rick Wakeman joining Yes would have been analogous to Vannesa Mae joining Curved Air and replacing Daryl Way.

A huge and influential change no doubt but not one that would have suited all of Curved Air's following.

For me Close to the Edge was the definitive Yes album and I didn't like anything much that followed and I'm pretty sure that had to do with personnel changes Wakeman's arrival and Brufords departure more than anything else and of course not everyone agrees with me.  And whilst I respect Rick's undoubted ability I've not personally enjoyed anything else he's done.

post edited by Jonbouy - 2016/02/11 16:28:10

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/11 18:23:43 (permalink)
Jonbouy
Anyhow to the matter at hand to my mind I guess Rick Wakeman joining Yes would have been analogous to Vannesa Mae joining Curved Air and replacing Daryl Way.

Hi, 

Or Steve Hogarth taking over for Fish in Marillion? 

Actually, I thought the weirdest was when the two guys who made up the Buggles (Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes) replaced Wakeman and Anderson in Yes.

Good times!

:-)

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/12 08:24:56 (permalink)
craigb
Jonbouy

Hi, 

Or Steve Hogarth taking over for Fish in Marillion? 

Actually, I thought the weirdest was when the two guys who made up the Buggles (Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes) replaced Wakeman and Anderson in Yes.

Good times!

:-)

Ya.

Close to the Editdge

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
craigb
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/12 10:54:59 (permalink)
Think I want to dance now! 

Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/17 16:24:33 (permalink)
Hi,

I kinda wish there was more critical works/studies about more musicians. Too many of these is all about the fame and nothing else, and too many folks get left behind. Here's is my list, that I would like to listen to and yap with:

Manuel Gottsching (Ash Ra Tempel/AshRa/Cosmic Couriers) There are a couple of bits and pieces in the net, but no one talks about his music and story.

Mani Neumeier (Guru Guru)

Christian Decamps (Ange) Incredible number of albums and stories and was doing theatrical music before Peter Gabriel found a costume. Was inspired by Jacques Brel and Weill/Brecht.

Mike Heron/Robin Williamson (Incredible String Band) Probably one of the least known of all the folks crazies, and yet, they were the most psychedelic and progressive of them all. They mixed and matched music, theater and poetry, not to mention 100 eastern instruments, to create some fun, strange, and awesome works.

Manfred Mann (Earth Band) Well known keyboard player that became an institution for making hits of other' work. Bob Dylan, Mike Heron, Bruce Springsteen, had their music turned into massive hits by Manfred Mann, and the band is still around.

Neil Innes (Bonzo Dog Band, Grimms, Monty Python) The history needs to be taken into consideration, but no one knows him from the two groups before Monty Python, and the work there was massively better, than MP's stuff. (Have not seen Rick's version yet!)

Vangelis Nothing else needs to be said, but the two albums that were released for radio stations promotional work, are still not available for folks to hear and learn about this guy and his music. And Bapu and Craig probably don't believe me about the spoons! And this needs to be thrown to a Rick Wakeman, who will never talk to Vangelis, because originally, Vangelis was rumored to have replaced him in YES.

Patrick Moraz (Refugee, YES, Moody Blues) In some ways, he never got credit for his work in any band, and he always did a really good show and had quality to his part of the equation. I am not sure that YES, could have toured with him playing Rick Wakeman's parts, specially TFTO, but it would have been definitly different!

Renate Krotenschwans (Amon Duul 2) Has appeared briefly in the English special about the German music at the time, and her comments show that she is much more intelligent and capable, than what we heard. Considering the many themes and ideas that their music offered, the amount of work put together and how it used satire (check out De Guadaloop, an anti-femisomething or other), this would become a very strong discussion and tribute to a great band's work.

Damo Suzuki (Can) Has never discussed his work, and sadly, there are a lot of similarities to it and the scene in the German Theater and Film at the time. I would like to see if he is capable of discussing more than some kind of ... sub-conscious ... idea for improvisation, which he has failed to replicate its immediacy and excitement. But his stuff with CAN is incredible, and not something that "rock singers" would normally consider.

Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane) She has told a story in her bio, that is incomplete, and even stated that she did not want to be some kind of a geriatric hippie trying to sing in her 60's. But there was a lot more to Grace than just ... whatever ... that helped create music and make their band sound so unique and strong for so long, and then the work with Paul Kantner, at the time her husband (I think), with whom she obviously could easily harmonize with. There might be some anger here, but the amount of history, deserves to be out in some form.

Ryuichi Sakamoto (Yellow Magic Orchestra) Now famous, and with an Oscar in his closet, he has not really, ever, discussed his work with anyone. And considering he also did many movies, acted in them, and provided music for it, we have the makings of someone either super talented, or just simply crazy ... I think he would tell you he was a Japanese David Bowie? His solo work is stupendous. His classical works are insanely beautiful. His soundtracks have magic all over it. And he did the western music to David Byrne's Oriental music! And they both got the Oscar! Go figure what talent can do!

Klaus Schulze Needs a "real" interview, with someone that knows his music, and let him simply discuss what he sees in it ... with a career that huge, it's almost like a Picasso, with so much work that no one could figure out how to identify it any more. The interview that Steven Wilson has in "Rheingold" is nice, but not knowledgeable enough, and he didn't really know anything about the early music scene that brought him and Tangerine Dream and others out. However, Klaus is picky and his "manager" is pick'ier and getting this done before Klaus leaves us ... is not likely ... and it will be sad. he has stories and a lot of art inside of him that helped create so much music!

Todd Rundgren The "runt" is probably not a good one to interview, but if someone knows the music and his history and the music he produced, the interview would be a nice and fun one ... so we want to make sure we ask about Jean Yves Labat and the M.Frogg fun dates, which would lighten up the whole thing. But him talking about his duality ... the star and the wizard, would be nice, and I think that by now, he has grown up enough that he should have mellowed out his silly fights with that Ted guy! 

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
craigb
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/17 16:42:36 (permalink)
I would like to have interview with Carrie Brownstein of Sleater-Kinney and Portlandia.

Moshkito
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/22 16:09:09 (permalink)
Hi,

Just watched the Jon Lord episode and then the Ian Anderson episode.

Both excellent in every way.

And it was nice to see these done so wide open and with a lot of historical bits and pieces in them, which helps identify the history of the form even better. 

Ian has shown many times an opinionated side of things, but I tend to agree with a lot of it. Albeit when it comes to composing and putting things together, it's harder to listen to the outside when you are doing your thing ... you can not be considering an audience when you are trying to identify what it is that is coming down from your inner self ... it's later during the presentation that some of this material may incur changes for its performance abilities and appreciation.

Could not find the one on Chappo (Roger Chapman) and Neil Innes ... the two I wanted to watch the most ... still looking .. if anyone finds those links please let me/us know.

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
SF_Green
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1403
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/23 02:29:07 (permalink)
bitflipper
Tangent: while searching for someplace that might have archived these interviews (they were apparently offered for sale at one time), I ran across this quote from Wakeman:

I learned an invaluable lesson from a kid in Argentina when we were playing Buenos Aires in 2002. I came out of the hotel and this 16-year-old-boy asked me to sign his copy of my Six Wives of Henry VIII album. As I was signing it I asked him ‘what does a 16 year-old like about this old music?’ and he looked at me, quite hurt, and said, ‘it might be old to you, Mr Wakeman, but I only heard it for the first time last week. When you hear something for the first time, it’s new.’ I’ve never forgotten that.

This was in the context of an article about Rick's top 10 prog albums of all time. In the Court of the Crimson King tops his list, as it would my own. I would have included Six Wives.

In the Court of the Crimson King
Vanilla Fudge
The Wall
The Origin of Symmetry (Muse)
Shades of Deep Purple
Nursery Crime - Genesis
Battersea Power Station  (Junior's Eyes, their only album)
Ozzmosis (Ozzy Osbourne) (Wakeman played on this album)
Yes (the first album, also one my faves)
Tarkus (oh, yeh!)

Love all those, but Close to the Edge is my favorite.  It has been blowing my mind every time i listen to it for decades. Tarkus, 6WOH8, and ITCOTCK are truly great albums also!

AMD FX-8370, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3,  Win7x64 SP1, 16Gb CorsairDDR3-1600, GeForce GTX 950 (390.65), SSD 525Gb (OS), SATA 3 & 1.5Tb, MOTU microlite, RME FireFace 800 (D 3.124, fw 2.77), UAD-2Q, Adam A7X, A-800 PRO, CC121
Cubase Pro 10.0.5, SonarPt-2017.10 (x64), Reason10.2, Live 10.0.5 Suite, Wavelab Elements 9.5.40, Komplete10Ult, POD Farm2.5, Omnisphere2.5, BFD3, Alesis QS7.1, Arturia BeatStep Pro, POD HD500, Alesis ControlPad, ARP Omni, many things with strings. GrSltz My Studio
SF_Green
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/23 02:31:13 (permalink)
As for Pink Floyd, I always loved Meddle.  Thought it was always underrated. Nursery Crime is excellent, but also love Selling England by the Pound. Trick and Wind not bad either.

AMD FX-8370, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3,  Win7x64 SP1, 16Gb CorsairDDR3-1600, GeForce GTX 950 (390.65), SSD 525Gb (OS), SATA 3 & 1.5Tb, MOTU microlite, RME FireFace 800 (D 3.124, fw 2.77), UAD-2Q, Adam A7X, A-800 PRO, CC121
Cubase Pro 10.0.5, SonarPt-2017.10 (x64), Reason10.2, Live 10.0.5 Suite, Wavelab Elements 9.5.40, Komplete10Ult, POD Farm2.5, Omnisphere2.5, BFD3, Alesis QS7.1, Arturia BeatStep Pro, POD HD500, Alesis ControlPad, ARP Omni, many things with strings. GrSltz My Studio
SF_Green
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/23 02:35:24 (permalink)
Moshkito

Patrick Moraz (Refugee, YES, Moody Blues) In some ways, he never got credit for his work in any band, and he always did a really good show and had quality to his part of the equation. I am not sure that YES, could have toured with him playing Rick Wakeman's parts, specially TFTO, but it would have been definitly different!

Patrick did tour with Yes.  He's on Yesshows

Moshkito
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/23 09:29:03 (permalink)
SF_Green

Patrick did tour with Yes.  He's on Yesshows

I have the triple album from the early days (Yessongs), not that one, and never noticed that ... I'll have to listen to that part, though, this would not be a complete version of the side 4 which is 21 minutes long ... so it was likely towards the end when it becomes all melodic, I bet. Which would be easier to duplicate.
post edited by Moshkito - 2016/02/24 11:42:52

Moshkito
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman//Ian Anderson 2016/02/24 11:27:49 (permalink)
Hi,

Ian Anderson's comments on Face to Face with Rick Wakeman, which is a magnificent interview, btw!

There is a part in that nice interview that is scary ... for me. When Ian Anderson states that pretty much everything and anything that can be done with the medium of rock music has been done in the 40 or 50 years of its time ... it sends a strong message to you and I. Basically, the medium, is over, and the ability to do anything new is getting to be nearly impossible, and I can see this, specially in a commercial sense of the music ... it now becomes this and that, and tomorrow, yet another half nude body and what not.

But, this is also likely to be a way of saying that the design of rock music, and its history, let's say the classic 4 folks - guitar, drums, bass and keys - is over and that combination needs to change and stop altogether until folks learn something new to change and help develop the next 50 years in music history.

In looking at music history, one can see how something like this might have been an issue ... somewhere along the way, in Bach's time, someone must have said that any music with a harpsichord was now redundant and boring. Now comes Mozart, and after so many violin concertos, and pieces of music that showed more cleverness than ability, it was also thought that a lot of that "chamber music" thing was over. And now comes the orchestral music ... and by the time we get to Beethoven and Tchaikovsky, we have to have more violins and strings ... orchestras double in size! And 100 years later, composers have already gotten the most out of that combination they could ... and the new breed arrived. 50 years later, it was not enough and electricity gave us the "new music" with jazz and rock. And of course, in the late 60's, this all exploded into a commercial definition that blew out into something else ... everyone and every kitchen sink, was an artist!

Needless to say, this changes the ideas and the specs of music and its history, if Ian is right about his assessment ... and he has already been right about one of them, at least ... when the cover of "A Passion Play" kinda suggests that classical music and arts are over ... and of course replaced by rock/jazz as we knew it at the time, and 40 years later ... are totally bored with! THE NEXT PICTURE/COVER, of course,  IS A MELTING MARSHALL STACK? (Rain is gonna kill me!)

This brings out ... something I have been listening to recently ... 200 Motels - The Suites ... and it is an astounding piece of music, that Frank Zappa could only relate to his folks and musicians with the context he did, because most of them did not even understand, or care about a lot of modern music and Varese and others ... and this double CD, shows what is likely to be Frank's greatest composition ever ... in its totality, but sadly, it will not be appreciated as much because so many folks only think of Frank as a rock icon, and not a composer of serious music. If you are not convinced by the end of this CD, you are not listening. And hearing a chorale and others go through the lines, and sing them, you get the feeling that this Chorale is doing is as a way to make fun of all the music they had done before that was "serious" and was not half as good as this stuff they are having a great time with! Maybe the words are important after all!

in many ways, it is a hugely BOLD comment by Ian, but historically, it is accurate because every 40 to 50 years things change to something else as the older stuff becomes either "golden" and "historical", and the rest dies ... as nothing. From a commercial standpoint, this makes sense, since the top ten thing has always been about copy/copy/copy and not talent or originality. And maybe, it is for us, to open up the ears and minds to that thought in order to see/learn some new things about ourselves and its derivatives in any art forms. This is, for me, one of the reasons why I find it so weird that musicians are so afraid to try experimental and other exercises to improve their rehearsal techniques, which might give a better clue into some new musics and designs for the future.

Moshkito
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/11/20 10:12:31 (permalink)
Glyn Barnes
Thanks for posting this, a great interview, two of my heros talking to each other! I have had to save the last bit for later and will try to find the others.

(Didn't notice this until now ... )

I have tried to email and talk to Rick, to see if we can get these interviews on DVD, because they are too nice and well done. Even Ian Anderson's is good, despite him not sounding very positive, but in almost all of these, the folks are very intelligent and communicate really well. 

There are some interviews that I have not found, and the list is actually amazing. Many of these I do not know at all, but Neil Innes, Roger Chapman, Dave Cousins, Snowy White, Phil Manzanera, Rod and Colin ... would be really nice for me. Also Andy Fairweather-Low would be interesting since he not only backed up Eric, but Roger Waters.

Rod Argent & Colin Blunstone (The Zombies)
Bruce Welch (The Shadows)
Hugh Cornwell (The Stranglers)
Jeff Wayne (War Of The Worlds)
Justin Hawkins (The Darkness & Hot Leg)
Rob Halford & Glenn Tipton (Judas Priest)
Jon Lord (Deep Purple, Whitesnake & More)
Jazz & Blues Legend Chris Barber
Brian Bennett (The Shadows)
Whispering Bob Harris (Old Grey Whistle Test & Radio DJ)
Andy Fairweather-Low (Amen Corner, Eric Clapton's Band & More)
Brian May (Queen)
Dave Cousins (The Strawbs)
Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull)
Neil Innes (Bonzo Dog, Monty Python Music & The Rutles)
Roger Chapman (Family)
Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music & More)
Snowy White (Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy & More)
Steve Harley (Cockney Rebel)
Scott Gorham (Thin Lizzy)
The 5th Dimension Jerry Donahue (Fairport Convention, Fotheringay & The Gathering)
Dennis Locorriere (The Voice of Dr. Hook)
Biff Byford (Saxon)
Joe Brown
Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath/Heaven &     Hell)
Luke Morely & Danny Bowes     (Thunder)

PabloCruise79
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2017/05/28 02:34:10 (permalink)
God Bless you.  Found this on YouTube and loved it too.

Is there a list of interviews?

Would love Rick to interview other members of Yes or vice-versa!

Too bad music has dropped in quality over the last decade.

And we've just lost Greg Allman and Chris Cornell - RIP!
PabloCruise79
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2017/05/28 02:36:25 (permalink)
Close To The Edge - just discovered believe it or not.

You and I is now a personal favorite!
craigb
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2017/05/28 04:29:36 (permalink)
CraigB
I would like to have interview with Carrie Brownstein of Sleater-Kinney and Portlandia.

Heh, since I made this post over a year ago, I now know two girls that could make this happen (both have recurring parts on Portlandia).

Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2017/05/28 09:46:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jamesg1213 2017/05/28 10:07:10
PabloCruise79

Too bad music has dropped in quality over the last decade.

Really? There is still a lot of superb music being made. You have to look beyond the mainstream. Innovate bands may struggle but use crowd funding, self publishing, social media promotion to keep their heads above water.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
PabloCruise79
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2017/05/29 00:37:48 (permalink)
How do you reply directly to a post?

Real quick I live in Salem, OR.  Don't know the people on Portlandia but love the show.  I will ask around.
You are right about quality music. Mainstream music sucks but there is other bands I like:
  1. Rival Sons
  2. Blackberry Smoke
Others but I've been out of the game years due to having kids.

We are trying to get back in the groove as our life settles down.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1