Soft Synths - Namely VG IRON

Author
Brandon2000
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 110
2016/01/31 14:41:34 (permalink)

Soft Synths - Namely VG IRON

Hi if anyone is using or has used Virtual Guitar Iron or can give advice on this particular type of soft synth i would much appreciate it.
I am trialing  a demo version and attempting to record in real time. To do this I can use either a midi controller or the onscreen 'keys'. I set the track to record, press 'record' and play along to the other tracks. I hear the sounds being played but it does not record anything - no midi data or nothing.
I am sure there s a simple logical explanation for this (I havent tried to record midi in real time before).

Thanks in advance.

9 Replies Related Threads

Brandon2000
    Re: Soft Synths - Namely VG IRON 2016/01/31 15:27:25 (permalink)
    Further info - I have added the softsynth as a simple instrument track and checked the 'enable midi output' box.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Soft Synths - Namely VG IRON 2016/01/31 15:45:06 (permalink)
    "Enable MIDI Output" in the "Insert Soft Synth Options" dialog has nothing to do with your issue. This feature makes MIDI data available for use as an input to another track. It does not affect the current track.

As a rule, in MC, it is not possible to record using a plug-in UI. The keyboard in a plug-in UI is primarily for auditioning sound.

I do not have this plug-in but I would expect it would function like most every other soft synth. The instrument track should have the input set to a controller, the output set to the Master bus or a hardware output, arm the track for recording, enable input echo to hear the synth and press record on the transport.
    Brandon2000
    Re: Soft Synths - Namely VG IRON 2016/01/31 15:47:53 (permalink)
    It sounds like the plug in UI is the issue. I will try step recording see if that works. Thanks
    Brandon2000
    Re: Soft Synths - Namely VG IRON 2016/01/31 15:51:28 (permalink)
    Unfortunately there isnt a virtual keyboard with MC :-( But i guess thats where the issue lies thanks again.

post edited by Brandon2000 - 2016/01/31 16:25:20
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Soft Synths - Namely VG IRON 2016/01/31 15:55:34 (permalink)
    If you have no MIDI input device and do not use MC7 (you should indicate this kind of stuff in your OP) there are alternatives such as http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/2991556
    Brandon2000
    Re: Soft Synths - Namely VG IRON 2016/01/31 16:13:15 (permalink)
    Thanks again.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Soft Synths - Namely VG IRON 2016/02/18 08:52:00 (permalink)
    Brandon2000
     To do this I can use either a midi controller or the onscreen 'keys'. I set the track to record, press 'record' and play along to the other tracks. I hear the sounds being played but it does not record anything - no midi data or nothing.
    I am sure there s a simple logical explanation for this (I havent tried to record midi in real time before).

Are you using the onscreen keys or a midi controller?  In reading your posts in this thread, I did not see where you clarified if you are using any sort of external, playable controller. If you are using the on scree keys, they are not generating any midi data that will loop back to the track input where you would be recording it. They are simply sending the data needed to make audio internally in the synth. Nothing is saved in the midi track.

To get midi recorded, it needs to be coming IN to the midi track from the source. Generally, this source would be an externally connected midi controller or a keyboard synth that outputs midi. THAT data can be recorded. It can also trigger the VGI in real time. Once you get that accomplished, you will be able to do what you're wanting to do.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Soft Synths - Namely VG IRON 2016/02/18 09:46:08 (permalink)
    Brandon2000
    Hi if anyone is using or has used Virtual Guitar Iron or can give advice on this particular type of soft synth i would much appreciate it.
    I am trialing  a demo version and attempting to record in real time. To do this I can use either a midi controller or the onscreen 'keys'. I set the track to record, press 'record' and play along to the other tracks. I hear the sounds being played but it does not record anything - no midi data or nothing.

Thanks in advance.

I'm doing a Pro Review Xpress of VG-IRON on Harmony Central. You really need not only an external controller, but a five-octave one so you can access the notes required to trigger the sounds, as well as choose the desired phrasings and such with the keyswitching.

If you don't have a controller you can take note of the keys you need to hit to get what you want, then enter those manually in MC7. However that's pretty tedious, and a good controller will helpful as you continue on with recording.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Brandon2000
    Re: Soft Synths - Namely VG IRON 2016/02/21 16:48:25 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. I have a midi controller (five octave one) and am awaiting the arrival of an audio interface with midi connections as we speak.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1