Windows 10 Tip: Disable Quick Access

Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2016/02/05 10:19:52 (permalink)

Windows 10 Tip: Disable Quick Access

I had an unsettling experience today, which turned out to be caused by one of Windows 10's "helpful" features: Quick Access.

I have batch files for backing up SONAR projects to an external USB drive which is normally assigned to "F:". It has been consistently assigned to the F: drive through multiple Windows versions. My batch file therefore assumes it's F: and I've used it every day for years without incident.

Then this morning the batch file tells me there is no F: drive.

The drive's power indicator was on, so it hopefully hadn't gone to USB drive heaven like all of its predecessors. I rebooted. Still no F: drive. I unplug the drive and let Windows re-discover it. Still no F: drive. I open File Explorer (which used to be called Windows Explorer) and it shows an icon labeled "F", but it's not my external disk. It also shows that the external drive is now "G:".

Here's what happened. I had created a folder called "F". When I opened it, Windows automatically added it to my Quick Access list (what used to be called Favorites). Now I had a quick-access folder named F, so Windows refused to assign F as a drive letter, presumably to avoid confusion. And broke my batch file in the process of trying to be helpful.

I am scared to find out what would happen if I created a folder named "C".

This is not a friendly feature, IMO, so I disabled it. Here's how: open File Explorer and go to the File tab, then select "change folder and search options". Change the "Open File Explorer to..." option from "Quick Access" to "This PC". Now, when you press Win-E you get the Win 7/8 display that only shows physical devices. Next, go down to "Privacy" and un-check both options to prevent recently-used files and frequently-used folders from being added to Quick Access.

This does not disable the Quick Access feature. You can still manually add files and folders to the list with a simple right-click and select "pin to quick access". That's the way I want the feature to work: let me decide what goes on the list.

The friendlier Windows gets, the less-inclined I am to call it a friend.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff

11 Replies Related Threads

TerraSin
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1975
    Re: Windows 10 Tip: Disable Quick Access 2016/02/05 11:30:21 (permalink)
    That's really odd that it wasn't assigning a drive letter to it because of a folder name. I thought that was the whole reason we had file paths is so that collisions wouldn't happen?

I'm not sure what MS is smoking lately but they've been taking more and more great ideas and slamming them into the ground rather than developing them properly. :|
    BassDaddy
    Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4232
    Re: Windows 10 Tip: Disable Quick Access 2016/02/05 12:25:45 (permalink)
    Thanks Bit. Very grateful to hear about thiskind of thing.

It's Bass, not Bass.
    i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
    Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
    TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: Windows 10 Tip: Disable Quick Access 2016/02/05 12:31:53 (permalink)
    TerraSin
    I'm not sure what MS is smoking lately but they've been taking more and more great ideas and slamming them into the ground rather than developing them properly. :|

Lately???

Anybody remember the debacle that was called DOS 4? When they added disk WRITE caching and defaulted it to ON? Remember all of the corrupted files, especially dBase III files? Absolutely the worst "virus" I've ever had to deal with. Thanks MS!

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Windows 10 Tip: Disable Quick Access 2016/02/05 14:12:29 (permalink)
    That F folder got all F'd up then?
    King_Windom
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 156
    Re: Windows 10 Tip: Disable Quick Access 2016/02/05 16:11:53 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip. Just changed mine. It seem like everyday there is another gotcha.
    AllanH
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re: Windows 10 Tip: Disable Quick Access 2016/02/06 10:32:37 (permalink)
    I've seen a similar thing. I know of two different work-arounds: You can assign an external drive a specific fixed drive letter. This is a good approach to avoid the "order you plug USB drives in" problem. Assigned drive letters seems to take precedence, but I've never see a quick-link override a drive letter, so maybe not in your situation

A more technical approach is to mount the drive with group policy, which takes places fairly early in the boot/login process. That's how e.g. network home directories get mounted on enterprise systems.

I pre-assign all my backup drives. So when I plug in the image drive it shows up as e.g. letter "O:", but when it's the source backup, is "S:", etc.
    post edited by AllanH - 2016/02/06 10:55:47

Sonar Platinum, EWHO/D, Spitfire, Miroslav, Pianoteq, ....,  Kurzweil.
    AllanH
    Re: Windows 10 Tip: Disable Quick Access 2016/02/06 10:40:19 (permalink)
    "You can assign an external drive a specific fixed drive letter."  I thought I'd explain this, in case anyone is interested:

Open "Disk Management", which is Windows's management console for drives. Right-click on the partition/drive you want to assign and select "Change Drive Letter and Path".  Choose your preferred drive letter for permanent assignment (like the C: drive).
    post edited by AllanH - 2016/02/06 10:56:06

TerraSin
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1975
    Re: Windows 10 Tip: Disable Quick Access 2016/02/06 10:40:21 (permalink)
    BassDaddy
    Thanks Bit. Very grateful to hear about thiskind of thing.

10 was off to a great start. From the release to the patch in November, they were doing a simply fantastic job. Then the patch came out and really started messing with things, the announcement for their new Lumia came and ended up bombing because they didn't market it enough and pretty much everything they've been working on feels fragmented or half-assed.

Gates coming back was a huge thing for the company and I think it was the push they needed. I am thinking he's back to being less involved because it's all starting to fall apart again.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Windows 10 Tip: Disable Quick Access 2016/02/06 11:28:07 (permalink)
    Thanks, Allan. I was able to tell Windows to use F: for the external drive, which seems to be holding between reboots. But I'm still concerned about devices that aren't routinely plugged in, such as thumb drives, cameras and MP3 players. I normally have only one such device plugged in at a time.

It used to be that you could instruct Windows which drive letter to start with when assigning new devices, but I don't see that capability in Windows 10. It would be really handy if every time I plugged in an extra device I could be sure it'd be mounted as G:. Any thoughts on that?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    AllanH
    Re: Windows 10 Tip: Disable Quick Access 2016/02/06 11:45:27 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    It used to be that you could instruct Windows which drive letter to start with when assigning new devices, but I don't see that capability in Windows 10. It would be really handy if every time I plugged in an extra device I could be sure it'd be mounted as G:. Any thoughts on that?

I summarized that in the post following the one you replied to. If you assign driver letters with Disk Management, my experience is that it sticks. There is probably still an issue with if e.g. a MP3 player has taken F: before you put in the backup drive, but I'm not sure.

That is, btw, why I have my fixed drive mounts starting at M: (far away from dynamically assigned drives)

Interestingly, B: is generally free, and since dynamic assignments start after the fixed drives (C:, D:) using B: for backup is possible.

King_Windom
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 156
    Re: Windows 10 Tip: Disable Quick Access 2016/02/06 13:58:47 (permalink)

Back in the stone age B: was always the floppy drive, It has been an orphan ever since.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1