Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
daryl1968
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10984
2016/01/31 18:48:59 (permalink)

Little Miss Popular - an original song

Hi nice folks of the forum
Here's another new one - a bit different lyrically - I spent a fair bit of time on it
I hope you enjoy it but nits and crits welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/skyblueproductions/little-miss-popular

Little Miss Popular
Written and performed by Staypress
Backing Vocals - Elizabeth Greenway
V1
David was a stand up guy and everyone was his friend
All the girls liked David and he got them in the end
Rachel was so popular, with girls and boys the same
Popular Miss Rachel soon became her name
Ch1
Little Miss Popular
A regular soap opera
V2
When David met Miss Popular sparks began to fly
No more girls for David, David was Rachel's guy
Valentines and roses, several years went by
Wedding turned to children, time just seemed to fly
Ch2
Little Miss Popular
A regular soap opera
Little Miss Popular
Bored with what life offered her
V3
David bought into the dream - hot tub in the yard
Cars and a large mortgage, paying it was hard
Rachel kept on spending it, he was too scared to say
Don't disappoint Miss Rachel - then they took the hot tub away
Middle bit
Now poor old David - driven to drink
Rachel too worried what the neighbours would think
Little Miss Popular found a new funder
Poor old David was torn asunder
Another victim of the Capitalist dream
The perfect couple estranged it would seem
Except this story has a happy ending - reconciliation and two hearts mending
Ch3
Little Miss Popular
Learned to live life simpler
Little Miss Popular
Opened her heart chakra
Repeat last chorus (sort of)
post edited by daryl1968 - 2016/02/20 08:15:30

65 Replies Related Threads

emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/01 00:44:59 (permalink)
    Cool tune, I like the "story song" and this is a really good example.

But the absolute standout for me is the quality of the mix. Your mixes achieve a separation of elements that I can really only dream of achieving on my own. This time I noticed (or I think I noticed) the shaker and hi hats hard panned? Snare, too, mostly left?

Your vocal chain sure works for me. You have it mixed with effects that change up a lot. You don't double your vocal, do you? On the "Poor David" break, is that a Eventide Harmonizer or something? Just really smooth vocals all over the tune, with lots of different effects coming and going. I bet that took you a while!

time well spent, and the song is hooky, too.

-Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/01 07:44:38 (permalink)
    emeraldsoul

But the absolute standout for me is the quality of the mix.

Yes, this really sounds fantastic Daryl, I'd say it was 'radio-ready' if that means anything these days. Great song too, classic pop in the vein of Squeeze, Beautiful South and Lightning Seeds. Cracking stuff mate.

I have one nit though - that l/r panned 'crackle' got old after a while...or are my headphones knackered?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/01 09:04:05 (permalink)
    Daryl, as others have said, great mix, as usual (do you ever get tired of hearing that?).

Nice beat on this one, quite the toe-tapper. As James says, you could cut down on the crackle a bit and it wouldn't be missed. Tells a story like Maxwell's Silver Hammer, nicely done!

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    daryl1968
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/01 15:20:50 (permalink)
    emeraldsoul
    Cool tune, I like the "story song" and this is a really good example.

But the absolute standout for me is the quality of the mix. Your mixes achieve a separation of elements that I can really only dream of achieving on my own. This time I noticed (or I think I noticed) the shaker and hi hats hard panned? Snare, too, mostly left?

Your vocal chain sure works for me. You have it mixed with effects that change up a lot. You don't double your vocal, do you? On the "Poor David" break, is that a Eventide Harmonizer or something? Just really smooth vocals all over the tune, with lots of different effects coming and going. I bet that took you a while!

time well spent, and the song is hooky, too.

-Tom

Thanks Tom - very nice of you mate. The vocal chain is not that crazy to be honest - I'll try and write it down and PM you if you want it.  It all starts with a Rode NT1A mic (not expensive) that was recommended to me and, it's the best investment I have made.
    daryl1968
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/01 19:42:08 (permalink)
    jamesg1213
    emeraldsoul

But the absolute standout for me is the quality of the mix.

Yes, this really sounds fantastic Daryl, I'd say it was 'radio-ready' if that means anything these days. Great song too, classic pop in the vein of Squeeze, Beautiful South and Lightning Seeds. Cracking stuff mate.

I have one nit though - that l/r panned 'crackle' got old after a while...or are my headphones knackered?

Thanks James - you're very kind.
    Your headphones are knackered mate.
    Grizzlylip
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/01 19:58:16 (permalink)
    Well, I think I can honestly say I am a fan now.  I actually got excited when I saw that you had posted a new song.  Excellent work as usual!  I have no mixing feedback.  I probably shouldn't admit that I didn't notice the crackles until others pointed it out.  I tend to follow the vocals when listening to your mixes.

There was a band that called themselves the "Headphones" who I was really into a few years back.  Mostly because it was headed by my favorite songwriter, a Mr. David Bazan; but also because of the heavy use of synth and general "futuristic" feel.  Your sound is different than the Headphones, but it reminds me of the same mood they would put me in.  Keep it up and let me give you some money when you release an album! 

Audio Interface:   M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Computer:   Dell XPS 8700 Windows 10
    Processor:   Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Installed RAM:   8 GB
    Soundcard:   ASIO
    Monitors:   3 M-Audio + Mackie MR8mk3
    DAW:   SONAR Platinum
    Hardware/Controller:   Axiom 61 (2nd Gen) + Maschine Studio 2.0
    Added Software:   Komplete 10
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/01 22:52:14 (permalink)
    Me likee.

Not as much as monkeys but more than seat-less bicycle.
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/02 07:37:24 (permalink)
    Nicely done as ever Daryl a clean spacious mix, room to breath, with a vox that exposes your English roots.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    daryl1968
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/02 10:30:25 (permalink)
    dcumpian
    Daryl, as others have said, great mix, as usual (do you ever get tired of hearing that?).

Nice beat on this one, quite the toe-tapper. As James says, you could cut down on the crackle a bit and it wouldn't be missed. Tells a story like Maxwell's Silver Hammer, nicely done!

Regards,
    Dan

Thanks Dan - I never get tired of it :)
    Love Maxwell's Silver Hammer - I love the dark humour 'PC 31 said we caught a dirty one' - love it
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/02 14:33:06 (permalink)
    This is great!  You have done a real professional job on the mix.  I love the arrangement, change ups, and the vocals are great.  However, I particularly love the story telling!!!
    Terrific stuff!!!.
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/02 15:28:48 (permalink)
    Oh yeah...    Nailed it - perfect pop. 

I have to agree with the Maxwell's Silver Hammer comparison - while it doesn't really sound the same there's something about it that clicks in the same vein.  I also really liked the modulation between sections, slick stuff.   And whatever you're doing for mix/mastering is working as always... Clarity, separation, depth and width.  Very four dimensional.   

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

daryl1968
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/02 16:59:02 (permalink)
    Grizzlylip
    Well, I think I can honestly say I am a fan now.  I actually got excited when I saw that you had posted a new song.  Excellent work as usual!  I have no mixing feedback.  I probably shouldn't admit that I didn't notice the crackles until others pointed it out.  I tend to follow the vocals when listening to your mixes.

There was a band that called themselves the "Headphones" who I was really into a few years back.  Mostly because it was headed by my favorite songwriter, a Mr. David Bazan; but also because of the heavy use of synth and general "futuristic" feel.  Your sound is different than the Headphones, but it reminds me of the same mood they would put me in.  Keep it up and let me give you some money when you release an album! 

Wow. Thanks so much Grizzly lip. You've made my day mate :)
    daryl1968
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/03 07:39:50 (permalink)
    bapu
    Me likee.

Not as much as monkeys but more than seat-less bicycle.

Thanks mate - what about monkey riding seatless bicycle?
    daryl1968
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/03 14:49:21 (permalink)
    Wookiee
    Nicely done as ever Daryl a clean spacious mix, room to breath, with a vox that exposes your English roots.

Thanks Wookster.
    I must get down the hairdressers if my roots are showing :)
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/03 18:50:43 (permalink)
    Wow excellent production and song Daryl 
    You really have a lot of chops in many areas of music production .Songwriting , Engineering , Mixing , Playing ,+ more
    Your missus sounds good too....that was a nice touch where you placed her in the mix ....

I'm sort of sorry  to say that my adrenal chakra has started acting up on me because it just found out that my headphones were knackered ....

all the best ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/03 20:23:25 (permalink)
    I love this oddball stuff! Very cool!

I don't think I've ever heard a vibraslap sound like that. Is it a vibraslap?

Nice!!!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Leizer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 446
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/04 04:40:54 (permalink)
    I love happy endings! Another smash hit, Daryl. The mix is great, really nice chord changes with the eternal chain that only can be stopped with a fade out, cool with only bass creating harmonics in the beginning (nice bass line btw). Many nice things going on in the background.

"Be yourself" is still better I think, but this one is close. Good work!

Dell i7-2600 3,40 Ghz, 16Gb RAM // SX1 drive: 240 Gb SSD // Windows 7 64 Bit // SONAR Platinum 64 bit // Focusrite Saffire 6 USB // KORG D888 Mixer // Roland JV-2080 MIDI synth // Guitars, basses, violins etc.

https://soundcloud.com/lasse-williamsson
    daryl1968
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/04 12:41:46 (permalink)
    Freddy J
    This is great!  You have done a real professional job on the mix.  I love the arrangement, change ups, and the vocals are great.  However, I particularly love the story telling!!!
    Terrific stuff!!!.

Thanks a lot Freddy - very nice of you
    rscain
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 784
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/04 22:51:00 (permalink)
    Really cool tune, outstanding performances all around, and great production. Particularly enjoyed the modulations and the instrumentation is niiiiice. You've touched all the bases, a home run!
    Congrats Daryl, really enjoyed this, well done!

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 
    daryl1968
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/05 12:06:17 (permalink)
    stevec
    Oh yeah...    Nailed it - perfect pop. 

I have to agree with the Maxwell's Silver Hammer comparison - while it doesn't really sound the same there's something about it that clicks in the same vein.  I also really liked the modulation between sections, slick stuff.   And whatever you're doing for mix/mastering is working as always... Clarity, separation, depth and width.  Very four dimensional.   

Thanks a lot Steve - I really appreciate it. 
    Again, I'll take Maxwell's Silver Hammer :) - thanks mate.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/05 12:17:22 (permalink)
    i guess david was a real dumb@ss, eh?!
    he didn't exactly find his soulmate,
    or none of this would have transpired.

LOL

cool vibe, i like the percussion effects tracks....
    i would say that you could afford to lose the vibraslap effect on occasion,
    it becomes too 'popular', if you get my meaning..
    it loses it's effectiveness when it's over used..

really cool little musical interludes, solid arrangement, and a good mix.

post edited by batsbrew - 2016/02/05 18:10:45

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

daryl1968
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/05 15:46:35 (permalink)
    kennywtelejazz
    Wow excellent production and song Daryl 
    You really have a lot of chops in many areas of music production .Songwriting , Engineering , Mixing , Playing ,+ more
    Your missus sounds good too....that was a nice touch where you placed her in the mix ....

I'm sort of sorry  to say that my adrenal chakra has started acting up on me because it just found out that my headphones were knackered ....

all the best ,

Kenny

lol - thanks so much Kenny - gotta watch that adrenal chakra
    Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song 2016/02/05 19:09:36 (permalink)
    daryl, all your stuff is good.  I know I've said this before, but you sound like the band Aberfeldy.  I love Aberfeldy, and this is a cool song.  And the mix is great, it gives me some ideas on how to improve my stuff.  You need to put out an album.

Jesse Q Screed

daryl1968
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/05 20:35:42 (permalink)
    Guitarpima
    I love this oddball stuff! Very cool!

I don't think I've ever heard a vibraslap sound like that. Is it a vibraslap?

Nice!!!

Thanks - glad you enjoyed it. I'm not honestly sure what any of the percussion sounds are. They are random sounds from NI Battery that I got the groove going with.
    String Jammer
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/05 21:34:33 (permalink)
    The mix jumped out at me right out of the gate! Superb placement! I agree on the crackly thing being over-used.
    Flagrant Regard
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/05 23:57:22 (permalink)
    Love this tune! You've really captured the 80's ... makes me think of 'They Might Be Giants' or 'Men Without Hats' (Pop Goes the World).  But well mixed. Very interesting, wide ... centered where it needs to be. Very impressed. 
    Keep 'em coming!

F.R.

We Are FLAGRANT REGARD
    OS: Windows 10, DAWsoft: Sonar Plat, Soundcard: AP2496, Equipment: Tak/Tay/Yam/Fen/Kor/, Speakers: Equators D-5s, PolkAudio Home, Paradigm Subwoof, Plugs: many, too blinkin' many to know what to do with them. Must cull!!

daryl1968
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/06 11:00:59 (permalink)
    Leizer
    I love happy endings! Another smash hit, Daryl. The mix is great, really nice chord changes with the eternal chain that only can be stopped with a fade out, cool with only bass creating harmonics in the beginning (nice bass line btw). Many nice things going on in the background.

"Be yourself" is still better I think, but this one is close. Good work!

Thanks mate. I appreciate it
    daryl1968
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/07 09:23:38 (permalink)
    rscain
    Really cool tune, outstanding performances all around, and great production. Particularly enjoyed the modulations and the instrumentation is niiiiice. You've touched all the bases, a home run!
    Congrats Daryl, really enjoyed this, well done!

Thanks so much Bob
    Zargg
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: Little Miss Popular - a NEW original song by me 2016/02/07 14:27:07 (permalink)
    Cool song, daryl1968. Sat and bobbed my head all the way through
    All the best.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1