Akai Advance 61

Author
TerraTkai
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2016/02/04 17:21:03 (permalink)

Akai Advance 61

Hi,

I am in the market for my first keyboard controller and quite liked the look of the Akai Advance 61. Has anyone got experience of using this with Cakewalk Sonar? How easy is it to setup? What alternatives to the Akai would you recommend?

I predominantly use cakewalk just for editing my recordings so I am not an advanced user. Can anyone recommend a good way of improving my skills with the software (books, videos, etc).

Thanks guys!

Terra

16 Replies Related Threads

Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: Akai Advance 61 2016/02/04 17:44:45 (permalink)
    I have just bought a Native Instruments S61. The main advantage comes when you use a lot of NI VSTis. The light guide mapping of keyboard zones for Kontakt instruments was the main selling point for me.

The Akai may be a better bet if you don't use Native Instruments or Arturia VSTi s

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Akai Advance 61 2016/02/04 17:46:20 (permalink)
    A further thought. Go for at least a 61 note board. You will eventually find shorter boards frustratingly limiting.
    post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2016/02/04 18:02:13

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    TerraTkai
    Re: Akai Advance 61 2016/02/04 17:57:54 (permalink)
    Hi Glyn,

Yes I definitely want at least a 61, I have a piano here and so I don't think I could go down to one of those tiny ones.

I'll be honest I don't have a preference on VSTs (VSTis?) this is my first foray into digital music, so I don't even know the terminology. I play piano, vocals, violin and acoustic guitar mainly and use a BR-800 and cakewalk to arrange basic audio tracks. I'm not even a beginner, I'm a pre-beginner lol.

Thanks for the feedback I'll take a look at the Native Instruments one, I haven't made any decisions yet so it is good to get some different views!

Terra
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Akai Advance 61 2016/02/04 18:09:08 (permalink)
    There is a thread in the Hardware forum in the studio section. There is quite a bit of discussion on pros and cons.

TerraTkai
    Re: Akai Advance 61 2016/02/04 18:20:37 (permalink)
    Oh wow, now I am really confused, what a fantastic piece of kit. It is a bit more by the time you have bought the software I guess but it also looks like you get a lot of options too. Presuming you bought the Komplete 10 software? What is the workflow like between that and Cakewalk?
    TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: Akai Advance 61 2016/02/04 19:13:07 (permalink)
    A VSTi (VST instrument) is a software instrument that communicates with a DAW (like SONAR) using the VST protocol developed by Steinberg. I tend to use the VI (virtual instrument) acronym instead, because it also includes the standalone version of virtual instruments (like Addictive Drums 2) in addition to the plugin (VST) version.

You don't mention which version of SONAR you have (Artist, Producer or Platinum?), so I don't know what VIs and FX (effects) you have. Take a look at my post in this thread (re SONAR training):

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3358449

I don't want to complicate things too much, but you will find many VIs require NI's Kontakt application. NI has a number of other applications upon which vendors build VIs. Each of those NI applicaitons has a stupid single license price. That's why many people wind up buying Komplete or Komplete Ultimate (I have K9U; K10 is the currently shipping version). Plus, Ultimate comes on a USB hard drive, which saves a LOT of downloading.

If you don't see yourself acquiring K10 or K10U (or K11, whenever that ships), then the NI keyboard controller may not be the best choice. Since you're a piano player, you may want to focus on the keyboard itself (its action). I have a Nektar Panorama P6 (61 keys) and really like it. I use the controller parts of it from time to time, but I play it every day. My recommendation would be to make sure that you get a keyboard with semi-weighted action. Otherwise, you'll wind up with something much more organ-like.

SONAR is not the most hospitable host (pun intended) when it comes to dealing with MIDI controllers, and you're not going to be doing any sound design, so I don't think the controller component of the keyboard will be as important to you as the keyboard action itself (and the quality of the driver, of course!).

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    TerraTkai
    Re: Akai Advance 61 2016/02/04 19:46:59 (permalink)
    Hi TheMaartian,

I have Sonar LE atm but was planning the upgrade to professional I have already costed that in. Thanks for the link I have been checking out some of the sonar university videos (doh didn't see them).

I think the s61 needs K10 so I am factoring that in as part of the price too. I guess as a piano player I am really impressed with the demos I am hearing on the included instruments (I think there are 3 different piano ones). I'm probably never going to be churning out dubstep :-) so like you said I am not going to be doing much sound design (but who knows).

I think the s61 has really caught my eye, but I will try both and see how they feel first. I think I favour the text under the controls rather than on a separate screen. It will be parked in front of a huge computer screen anyway. I also like the light colour on the keys matching to the screen interfaces, seems very intuitive for it to work that way.

I see a lot of shops are still stocking the one that doesn't come with K10 Select (cutdown version), I might see if I can find someone with the latest package and then I can get the cross grade package update later and split the cost over a couple of months. I'll have a dig around...

This is tricky as I know so little about the subject, but you guys have really helped and given me other options, Thanks!

Terra

Glyn Barnes
    Re: Akai Advance 61 2016/02/05 05:02:36 (permalink)
    TerraTkai

I think the s61 has really caught my eye, but I will try both and see how they feel first. I think I favour the text under the controls rather than on a separate screen. It will be parked in front of a huge computer screen anyway. I also like the light colour on the keys matching to the screen interfaces, seems very intuitive for it to work that way.

The text under the control encoders is a great idea. A seperate screen would be useful for browsing but I think the lables are more useful.

If you are a piano player you may prefer a hammer action board. The S88 has piano style keys. I would have gone for the 88 but I wanted "synth" style keys.

Komplete is a beast and contains a mass of stuff, great value for money even if you will only use half of it. It contains the full version of Kontakt which opens up a world of sampled instruments. There are many good free and cheap libraries available, as well as ones costing megabucks.

The instruments included in Komplete Select may be enough to get you going with a view to upgrading to Komplet at a later date. 

TerraTkai
    Re: Akai Advance 61 2016/02/05 13:28:44 (permalink)
    Hi Glyn,

While I would love the S88 I just don't have room. Even the S61 is a bit of a squeeze for the spot I picked out.

I'm sure it will be fine but I am off out to the music store tomorrow to try them out and should have a better idea after then. I will hopefully get to try the S88 too and see if I "need" to make some more room lol.

Terra
    DragonBlood
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 142
    Re: Akai Advance 61 2016/02/05 15:51:37 (permalink)
    I own the Akai MPK261 and I'm very happy with my purchase. The controls were a little difficult to figure out in act cause it breaks them into 3 separate midi devices in Sonar but I can get most of the controls to work without a hitch.
    I've never touched or owned the Akai Advance but the main selling point is just the touch screen and plugin integration software.

As far as getting better at Sonar, there's videos for sale in the Cakewalk shop they helped me a lot. For further education you can check out Groove3 and Lynda (Lynda teaches in pro tools but it translates to Sonar well)

Lynda has been a big help in getting my audio software skills up to par and I was happy with my subscription, you have to actually use it though and the information will take time to sink in. You'll probably go at it for 3 months and then not touch it for a while, from my experience.

Hope that answers your questions.
    Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re: Akai Advance 61 2016/02/05 16:02:45 (permalink)
    You may wish to sit back and think about what exactly you will be playing..

As you play piano, you may wish to think first about a piano keyboard... these can be controller keyboards as above, or something like a stage piano.. in my case it is a Yamaha S70xs (which is 76 key).. and used stage pianos are not much more than an 88 key controller with a quality weighted keybed. In my case, this sits to the side of my desk.

Now, once i eliminate the need for two handed piano playing from the needs of a controller on the desk, i can pretty much do the vast majority of play-in with a 49 or even a 37 key unit on the studio desk... and the space savings by losing one octave or more over a 61 note are significant.

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
    Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
    tenfoot
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2186
    Re: Akai Advance 61 2016/02/05 21:59:11 (permalink)
    Whilst any controller can be configured with some effort to work with Sonar, if you are looking for a controller that has plug and play deep integration with Sonar, the Roland A-Pro series is a great choice. Comes in all sizes, and for the money has quite a nice action.
    I bought the smallest version to use when travelling and have been very happy with it.

http://www.roland.com/products/a-500pro/

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    Snehankur
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 507
    Re: Akai Advance 61 2016/02/06 01:05:08 (permalink)
    TerraTkai
    Hi TheMaartian,

I have Sonar LE atm but was planning the upgrade to professional I have already costed that in. Thanks for the link I have been checking out some of the sonar university videos (doh didn't see them).

I think the s61 needs K10 so I am factoring that in as part of the price too. I guess as a piano player I am really impressed with the demos I am hearing on the included instruments (I think there are 3 different piano ones). I'm probably never going to be churning out dubstep :-) so like you said I am not going to be doing much sound design (but who knows).

I see a lot of shops are still stocking the one that doesn't come with K10 Select (cutdown version), I might see if I can find someone with the latest package and then I can get the cross grade package update later and split the cost over a couple of months. I'll have a dig around...

This is tricky as I know so little about the subject, but you guys have really helped and given me other options, Thanks!

Terra

I couldn't read all the post. KOMPLETE 10 comes with a bundled offer with KOMPLETE S61. You will get better value.
    Regards
    S Ghose

EDIT: I have KOMPLETE 10 with S25. At that time I didn't realize it is so good specially the lights on keys will be that much helpful. So I bought 25 keys.
    post edited by Snehankur - 2016/02/06 01:20:15
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Akai Advance 61 2016/02/07 04:40:52 (permalink)
    I have ben updating the thread in the hardware forum on my progress with my S61.
    I have discovered how to set up the light guide to map zones in EastWest play and other instruments that do not do it automatically in Komplete Kontrol.

There is also miss information circulating that arpeggios and chords cannot be captured as MIDI in a DAW. This is not the case, you just have to route the MIDI out from the KK plugin (not the keyboard) to a MIDI track.

BassDaddy
    Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4232
    Re: Akai Advance 61 2016/02/10 17:30:23 (permalink)
    I bought an Akai Advance a few months ago and I love it. Haven't had and trouble with using SONAR Plat. I have Komplete Ultimate 9 and everything in it works great with the Akai. Setting up zones on the keyboard can be done but choosing the notes (A1 to C3 for example) or by dragging the mouse on the keyboard. Fast and easy. It has a nice plugin cache deal so the can browse presets and be playing on fro Chromophone and then click on a patch in FM8 and it is loaded instantly and even the tail from the previous preset fades out: not chopped off. I agonized over which keyboard to choose but have come to believe neither would be a mistake. The Advance was more than a hundred dollars cheaper for me. The large knobs and pads are really nice. There are 8 pads and 8 buttons that can be used for turningthings on or off or even assigned to notes so I can set up 8 more notes below the current keyboard location. You can set up as many as 8 diff instruments in the multi mode so you can layer instruments together. The pads are solo and the buttons between the knob row and pad row are mute. Lots of software with the Akai. Air Music Tech Transfusser 2, Velvet 2 EP, Loom( I really like tis one), Hybrid 3, with 2 expansion packs, Xpand 2 and Vacuum Pro. You also get Sonnivox 88 piano. Have fun making your decision, you won't make a mistake which ever one you get.

It's Bass, not Bass.
    i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
    Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Akai Advance 61 2016/02/11 15:41:00 (permalink)
    BassDaddy
    Have fun making your decision, you won't make a mistake which ever one you get.

Very true.

I have collated my findings since getting my NI S61 here. http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3368341

Most of the reviews and tutorials concentrate almost entirly on integration with Komplete and I had to dig deep to answer some of my questions related to third party non NKS stuff so I put it all down in one place.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1