Come on Baby

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
kakku
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1646
2016/02/06 08:19:25 (permalink)

Come on Baby

I did this old tune first with an version circa 1997 of band in a box then imported the midi to sonar x1. Now somehow first the file behaved strangely making it sound out of tune it but after a couple of hours I managed to put it right. Did some mixing and middle 8 and it was ready. Comments are welcome as always!

https://soundcloud.com/madrigal7/come-on-baby

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
kakku

36 Replies Related Threads

rbecker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 740
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/06 09:40:50 (permalink)
    Nice mix. I wish I could mix like that. I also like your instruments.

All my suggestions have to do with instrumentation.
    1. The "airy" synth used in the intro never returns, and somehow does not seem to fit the rest of the tune.
    2. The melodic line switches between the flute and the synth sound in a clearly delimited fashion. I would maintain the flute throughout, and add excitement by bringing the synth in either in unison or at the octave, at a lower volume than the flute to augment the melodic line. Maybe even in harmony.
    3. From 2:15 to 2:45, it might be interesting to really change up the instrumentation of the melody - Maybe electric guitar or acoustic piano. Something with a bit of an edge to counter the mellow flute we have been hearing up to that point.

Good tune! 

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    HD: ST2000DM 001-1ER164 7200RPM
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 Ghz
    RAM:12.0 GB Memory:2 drives 1 Terabyte each
    Windows 10
    Video: NVIDA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    jkoseattle
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 556
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/06 12:45:49 (permalink)
    I agree with the previous post about the airy synth. But I have bigger issues.

Composition-wise, I find the melody to kind of aimless, not memorable or interesting enough, kind of just noodling around. As I'm listening, I'm finding that one note in the melody is as good a choice as any other, there needs to be more "inevitability", if that term makes any sense. When you get to the key change at about 3:00, that's a good idea to perk my interest, and you sort of built to it, but I would take that moment further. 

Mix-wise, I would take at least half the reverb off the drums and bass, and reduce it everywhere else as well. I think you'll find it has a lot more energy with much drier drums (though the transition as you turn the fader is initially shocking and sounds scary!). Also, There is a lot of sonic clutter in the low-mid range, I would take some low-end off the pad synth, and removing reverb from bass and drums will help clean that up.

But most importantly, I would spend time pulling the ropes a lot tighter on the tune. Good luck! Ain't all this fun?

Sonar Version: Platinum  
    Audio Interface: M-Audio Delta
    Computer: Dell i5 3.1 GHz, 12Gb RAM, Windows 10 64-bit
    Soft Synths: EastWest PLAY Symphonic Orchestra
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio 2x2 MidiSport Anniv Edition
    Settings: 16-Bit, Sample Rate 44.1k, ASIO Buffer Size 128-1024, Record/Playback I/O Buffers play:256k, rec: 64k, Total Round Trip Latency 48 ms  
    Check out my work here
    kakku
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/06 16:08:17 (permalink)
    jkoseattle
    I agree with the previous post about the airy synth. But I have bigger issues.

Composition-wise, I find the melody to kind of aimless, not memorable or interesting enough, kind of just noodling around. As I'm listening, I'm finding that one note in the melody is as good a choice as any other, there needs to be more "inevitability", if that term makes any sense. When you get to the key change at about 3:00, that's a good idea to perk my interest, and you sort of built to it, but I would take that moment further. 

Mix-wise, I would take at least half the reverb off the drums and bass, and reduce it everywhere else as well. I think you'll find it has a lot more energy with much drier drums (though the transition as you turn the fader is initially shocking and sounds scary!). Also, There is a lot of sonic clutter in the low-mid range, I would take some low-end off the pad synth, and removing reverb from bass and drums will help clean that up.

But most importantly, I would spend time pulling the ropes a lot tighter on the tune. Good luck! Ain't all this fun?

I like the melody like it is but I don't like your last sentence which sounds more like an attack than an appropriate sentence. Maybe you want to clarify a bit?

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
    kakku
    kakku
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/06 16:19:17 (permalink)
    rbecker
    Nice mix. I wish I could mix like that. I also like your instruments.

All my suggestions have to do with instrumentation.
    1. The "airy" synth used in the intro never returns, and somehow does not seem to fit the rest of the tune.
    2. The melodic line switches between the flute and the synth sound in a clearly delimited fashion. I would maintain the flute throughout, and add excitement by bringing the synth in either in unison or at the octave, at a lower volume than the flute to augment the melodic line. Maybe even in harmony.
    3. From 2:15 to 2:45, it might be interesting to really change up the instrumentation of the melody - Maybe electric guitar or acoustic piano. Something with a bit of an edge to counter the mellow flute we have been hearing up to that point.

Good tune! 

Thanks for your comment. I can try to fix some of the things you said if I have the time as I don't have much of it.

kakku
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/06 16:20:56 (permalink)
    Nice tune Antti.
    post edited by jamesg1213 - 2016/02/06 16:36:09

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    kakku
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/06 22:40:10 (permalink)
    jamesg1213
    Nice tune Antti.

Thank you James.

kakku
    jkoseattle
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/07 11:40:17 (permalink)
    Last sentence, meaning "ain't all this fun"? That was just what I meant. All this music-making stuff is a lot of fun. It's great to get to spend time doing this, that's all. No attack. Glad you like it the way it is.

Settings: 16-Bit, Sample Rate 44.1k, ASIO Buffer Size 128-1024, Record/Playback I/O Buffers play:256k, rec: 64k, Total Round Trip Latency 48 ms  
    Check out my work here
    ABull
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/07 17:41:43 (permalink)
    I didn't read any of the previous comments.

As the intro kept going, I kept thinking 'where's the singing?' and then I realized...

I like the 80s vibe to this and have no crits except (isn't there always an 'except' or 'but'?) this could have been turned into a nice song with vocals what with the melodic backing and all. But, that's just my thought :)

Allan
    ====

kakku
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/07 18:11:33 (permalink)
    jkoseattle
    Last sentence, meaning "ain't all this fun"? That was just what I meant. All this music-making stuff is a lot of fun. It's great to get to spend time doing this, that's all. No attack. Glad you like it the way it is.

I was kind of stunned how much negative you found on my tune so i misinterpreted the last sentence like one drop of negativity more and so I took it all more as an insult than an honest list of tips. Sorry for doubting your intentions, this sometimes happens to me. Btw one guy called me the king of uncool' based on this tune. Maybe that got me too defensive. Thanks for the tips.
    post edited by kakku - 2016/02/07 18:40:57

kakku
    daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/07 18:21:53 (permalink)
    Very nice Kakku my mate.
    The drums could do with some work on the eq. What are using for drums?
    kakku
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/07 18:24:22 (permalink)
    ABull
    I didn't read any of the previous comments.

As the intro kept going, I kept thinking 'where's the singing?' and then I realized...

I like the 80s vibe to this and have no crits except (isn't there always an 'except' or 'but'?) this could have been turned into a nice song with vocals what with the melodic backing and all. But, that's just my thought :)

Allan
    ====

Actually I made lyrics to this tune too but they are in Finnish and they are also so embarrassing that I decided not to try to translate them. This is a love song with beginning lines something like "you, you are my sweet heart, but you already knew that" and it goes the same syrupy way. I made this tune so I could send it to a song contest but I managed only to make words to one verse and chorus so I could not send it. Also somebody should have sing it and I knew nobody suitable for that task. Thanks for commenting.

kakku
    kakku
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/07 18:31:56 (permalink)
    daryl1968
    Very nice Kakku my mate.
    The drums could do with some work on the eq. What are using for drums?

The drums is just two samples. I am too limited with my mixing abilities that I could hear the needed eq things. Thanks for commenting.

kakku
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/09 02:07:29 (permalink)
    I will try and have a listen tomorrow Antti ok :) I need to send the signal through to one of my listening systems.  And I'm about to do a little mastering of my own.

Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    kakku
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/09 02:22:28 (permalink)
    BenMMusTech
    I will try and have a listen tomorrow Antti ok :) I need to send the signal through to one of my listening systems.  And I'm about to do a little mastering of my own.

Ben

Thank you Ben,I hope the experience is a pleasant one.
    Edit:Good luck with the mastering as it is not always an easy task.
    post edited by kakku - 2016/02/09 07:36:05

kakku
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/09 14:49:17 (permalink)
    I think this sounds like you - and that is a compliment.  

Mix-wise I do agree that the drums could use some work...  less reverb, more variation & fills.  When you say you're using two samples does that mean two loops?   If so, you should have a nice selection included with SONAR for more variation.  But personally I would use a drum VST instead (and/or along with).  

The choice of synth tones works for me.  It has that 80's sorta-Vangelis thing happening. 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

BenMMusTech
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/10 02:50:18 (permalink)
    Hi Anitti...sorry I think you might have been confused...I meant I was mastering my own track...however I could be persuaded into mastering one of your's...we have the tech via cloud sites and the like.  But you would have to convince me, and it would have to be a super track ;)

Anyway, the bass is too heavy in the first section, it's alright once track gets going though.

Look you've got to learn to think outside the square or the box or stop being a round peg in a round hole lol ;)
    The problem is the piece sounds too much like a pre baked cookie, yea, and I'm trying to help, I'm not being mean.  The mix is inoffensive, apart from the initial bass, but it sounds like you've just taken some midi loops and hit some pre-sets.  I know you're learning, and I use to sound...well not as good as I do now, that's if anyone else apart from me actually thinks I'm any good lol.

Anyway, keep going you know what you are doing...practice is the key, to be an elite anything...you've got to practice ok, remember The Beatles didn't sound like The Beatles until 1962ish...in fact if you have a listen to a track on Youfool called In Spite of All The Danger you will know and understand what I mean.

Anyway I'm always happy to answer any questions you have.

Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    kakku
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/10 11:04:35 (permalink)
    stevec

Mix-wise I do agree that the drums could use some work...  less reverb, more variation & fills.  When you say you're using two samples does that mean two loops?   If so, you should have a nice selection included with SONAR for more variation.  But personally I would use a drum VST instead (and/or along with).  

The choice of synth tones works for me.  It has that 80's sorta-Vangelis thing happening. 

Thank you Steve for your review and tips. I used two different drum loops.

kakku
    kakku
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/10 11:12:36 (permalink)
    BenMMusTech
    Hi Anitti...sorry I think you might have been confused...I meant I was mastering my own track...however I could be persuaded into mastering one of your's...we have the tech via cloud sites and the like.  But you would have to convince me, and it would have to be a super track ;)

Anyway, the bass is too heavy in the first section, it's alright once track gets going though.

Look you've got to learn to think outside the square or the box or stop being a round peg in a round hole lol ;)
    The problem is the piece sounds too much like a pre baked cookie, yea, and I'm trying to help, I'm not being mean.  The mix is inoffensive, apart from the initial bass, but it sounds like you've just taken some midi loops and hit some pre-sets.  I know you're learning, and I use to sound...well not as good as I do now, that's if anyone else apart from me actually thinks I'm any good lol.

Anyway, keep going you know what you are doing...practice is the key, to be an elite anything...you've got to practice ok, remember The Beatles didn't sound like The Beatles until 1962ish...in fact if you have a listen to a track on Youfool called In Spite of All The Danger you will know and understand what I mean.

Ben

Actually I wished luck for your track mastering. Thanks for the review. I used biab in the backing department so that might hopefully explain some of the pre bake thing unless you mean the melody which is all me and the middle 8 also. This old tune has gotten so many such reviews that clearly say it is not good. I would try to drown it if I could although I am not violent by nature. Thanks for the tips also.
    Edit: I believe most people think that you are a good composer as you think.

kakku
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/10 14:33:11 (permalink)
    kakku
    stevec

Gotcha.   Then I think that's the first area I'd tackle.   I don't recall which synths are included in X1, but if Session Drummer is there I think it would be a good candidate - you could substitute MIDI loops for audio loops to define the general groove, but with so much more flexibility when it comes to adding fills and variation.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

String Jammer
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/10 22:50:13 (permalink)
    Nice and relaxing piece. The bass is pretty loud over here though. My sub is thumping with its volume on zero.
    BenMMusTech
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/11 01:48:04 (permalink)
    kakku
    BenMMusTech

Ben

Actually I wished luck for your track mastering. Thanks for the review. I used biab in the backing department so that might hopefully explain some of the pre bake thing unless you mean the melody which is all me and the middle 8 also. This old tune has gotten so many such reviews that clearly say it is not good. I would try to drown it if I could although I am not violent by nature. Thanks for the tips also.

Sorry, language differences I think.  And sorry, I think I upset you with my comments.  You know what your doing, the track isn't bad ok...it's just a bit boring.  Here is the best advice I can give, you know the rules...now break them.  This will lead to new discoveries, and the discoveries will fuel creativity...leading to new discoveries lol yea ;)

Peace Ben

kakku
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/11 02:55:38 (permalink)
    BenMMusTech
    kakku
    BenMMusTech

Ben

Sorry, language differences I think.  And sorry, I think I upset you with my comments.  You know what your doing, the track isn't bad ok...it's just a bit boring.  Here is the best advice I can give, you know the rules...now break them.  This will lead to new discoveries, and the discoveries will fuel creativity...leading to new discoveries lol yea ;)

Peace Ben

Ok. Thanks again. I try to make more interesting stuff with my new material IF I only can translate it from my phone to Sonar.

kakku
    kakku
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/11 03:17:52 (permalink)
    String Jammer
    Nice and relaxing piece. The bass is pretty loud over here though. My sub is thumping with its volume on zero.

Thank you. I agree, I made the bass too loud. Usually I make it too quiet.

kakku
    kakku
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/11 03:24:51 (permalink)
    stevec
    kakku
    stevec

Gotcha.   Then I think that's the first area I'd tackle.   I don't recall which synths are included in X1, but if Session Drummer is there I think it would be a good candidate - you could substitute MIDI loops for audio loops to define the general groove, but with so much more flexibility when it comes to adding fills and variation.

Thank you for your comment.
    I know I should put Møre effort on my tunes but somehow when I make them I forget to put better drums. Somehow I am satisfied with lesser things on my own stuff.

kakku
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/11 21:32:29 (permalink)
    I think this is a very fine composition and I can imagine it with "Finnish" vocals to round it out.  The instrumentation sounds very nice and is quite enjoyable to listen to with or without vocals. Nice work.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

jkoseattle
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/11 22:13:05 (permalink)
    kakku
    jkoseattle

I was kind of stunned how much negative you found on my tune so i misinterpreted the last sentence like one drop of negativity more and so I took it all more as an insult than an honest list of tips. Sorry for doubting your intentions, this sometimes happens to me. Btw one guy called me the king of uncool' based on this tune. Maybe that got me too defensive. Thanks for the tips.

Aw man, I was afraid of that, sorry. I can come across as negative, I know. I've struggled with that. It's actually a whole 'nother thread I should start someday. I'm really not negative at all, I'm just inordinately enthusiastic I guess.

Also, and here's the bigger issue: By the time songs get posted online, they're usually pretty finished, and comments like "the tune needs to change" are coming way too late. But what I hear most often with people posting songs is songwriting issues. "Reverb-schmeverb, the chords are wrong" or whatever. So usually I'm thinking "To make this work for me, you needed to fix it before it got to this stage". So I don't know what to say ever. I could just comment on the Sonar-y production stuff I guess, since after all that's who sponsors this forum, but I always feel like I'm being dishonest somehow, and I'm not that great at any of that and am mostly on the learner side of things when it comes to production. Composition and lyrics writing, that's something I know, yet it's not really discussed here. 

Anyway, really don't want to come off as a jerk. 

Your tune and chords feel random in this piece. Maybe the problem isn't that so much that, as that it doesn't sound like it's on purpose. Maybe I'm not convinced that random-y feel is correct, and something else needs to change so that I "get it" and suddenly the tune and chords feel right. ?? I don't know. 

Check out my work here
    kakku
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/12 09:47:24 (permalink)
    Tap
    I think this is a very fine composition and I can imagine it with "Finnish" vocals to round it out.  The instrumentation sounds very nice and is quite enjoyable to listen to with or without vocals. Nice work.

Thank you for your comment.

kakku
    kakku
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/12 10:03:36 (permalink)
    jkoseattle
    kakku
    jkoseattle

Aw man, I was afraid of that, sorry. I can come across as negative, I know. I've struggled with that. It's actually a whole 'nother thread I should start someday. I'm really not negative at all, I'm just inordinately enthusiastic I guess.

Also, and here's the bigger issue: By the time songs get posted online, they're usually pretty finished, and comments like "the tune needs to change" are coming way too late. But what I hear most often with people posting songs is songwriting issues. "Reverb-schmeverb, the chords are wrong" or whatever. So usually I'm thinking "To make this work for me, you needed to fix it before it got to this stage". So I don't know what to say ever. I could just comment on the Sonar-y production stuff I guess, since after all that's who sponsors this forum, but I always feel like I'm being dishonest somehow, and I'm not that great at any of that and am mostly on the learner side of things when it comes to production. Composition and lyrics writing, that's something I know, yet it's not really discussed here. 

Anyway, really don't want to come off as a jerk. 

Your tune and chords feel random in this piece. Maybe the problem isn't that so much that, as that it doesn't sound like it's on purpose. Maybe I'm not convinced that random-y feel is correct, and something else needs to change so that I "get it" and suddenly the tune and chords feel right. ?? I don't know. 

You are not a jerk I believe. The tune is old so i don't care too much that it stinks. Problem is now that l listened to many of my other tunes on the Soundcloud as they are supposed to be my best(although i put some there for nostalgic reasons) and too many of them sound half ready or sound silly otherwise. Fortunately there are some that I still find OK. I need to make New good tunes but it is not easy as the ideas I have put in my phone are hard to put into my daw.

kakku
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: Come on Baby 2016/02/12 20:57:45 (permalink)
    You did good. Sounds really nice. It is full, has lots of broad spectrum and is has a nice relaxed vibe. 

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1