Arthritis and Playing A Guitar

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Ricebug
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 181
2016/02/06 12:35:24 (permalink)

Arthritis and Playing A Guitar

I'm approaching 64 and have arthritis in my left hand. I gave my beautiful Ovation 6-string acoustic/electric to an aspiring musician in our church band. After 2 years, I'm missing it terribly.

Do any of you guitarists know of a guitar that could accommodate my crippled hand? It's not that bad; mainly the pinkie finger. (Curse those bar chords!) I've been using Real Guitar 4, and even bought a Playstation Guitar Hero controller to get down. But they just don't come close to the Real Deal.

Sonar Platinum / AMD 5 ghz 8-core CPU w/8 GB RAM / nVidia GTX-780 graphics / Roland A-500Pro MIDI keyboard / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface / Komplete 9 Ultimate / Melodyne Essential / Digitech Vocalist Live Pro/ Roland MSGS synth module / Rode NT2 microphone / an understanding wife

31 Replies Related Threads

robbyk
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 705
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/02/06 14:27:10 (permalink)
    In the late 80s and early 90s I began to suffer weakness in my left hand and had trouble holding down chords on my electric which I was playing mostly in those days. I used different kinds of wraps on my arm e.g. a carpel tunnel brace to a small degree of help. Eventually, a wonderful doctor suggested a neck x-ray and found I had cracked my C2 and C3 a long time ago and it had healed in a way that caused a neuralgia and weakness in my arm and hand.

Therapy helped a lot and over time, about 10 years, the neuralgia and weakness eased up and playing was more comfortable.

However, during this time, the one guitar I could play well because of the neck was a US Masters Sportster made personally for me by my friend Dave Regenberg. These guitars were all over the place for a time e.g. the lead guitarist for Toby Keith and many said the same thing. Something in the neck.

Dave went out of business a short while back but his guitars are still found a lot here and there. Just google US Masters. I love mine and rarely use my Peavey or Les Paul.

For acoustic, I don't know?
    post edited by robbyk - 2016/02/06 14:41:47

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
    Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
    Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
    Studio
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/02/06 14:37:36 (permalink)
    Are you specifically seeking acoustic? String tension and height from the fret board come to mind right away. Not all acoustics (fixed bridge) would take to lighter strings though because they may buzz like crazy (and not sure how effective truss rod adjustment would be). A big, semi-hollow jazz guitar (built for electric strings) with an adjustable bridge may potentially strike a nice balance for you. Can put very light strings on it and adjust accordingly. Acoustically they are not "powerful" but adequate (more tension, more power), and on the electric side they can be prone to feedback issues. I have an Ibanez Artcore I bought years ago for its acoustics with the ability to "plug it in," but that one has a larger neck that I prefer and a floating bridge. I have not had issues with the bridge moving, but want to make clear that it is not fixed.

Electrically, bridge and truss rod adjustment would allow for much lighter tension, but may not be suitable in an acoustic environment. I actually have 10s on mine and play it acoustically fairly often only because I walk around with it at times. I can hear it fine, but would be a stretch to play it for others that way.
    post edited by mettelus - 2016/02/06 14:52:14

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/02/06 16:04:20 (permalink)

I also am experiencing pain in my hands, wrists... well, just about everywhere, and I also don't play anywhere near enough these days.  What I've done is played with different tunings so that certain chords are much easier to finger.  Greatly limits what can be played, but makes possible playing the guitar at all.

Aging has its drawbacks.  I have a Heritage guitar and self-built tube amp just waiting for me to retire, but now I'm realizing that I may not be able to play them once I get there.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    Ricebug
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/02/06 19:07:25 (permalink)
    Years ago, I picked up our guitarist's Gibson Les Paul. I'll never forget the gentle touch needed to play even the obtuse of chords. I am looking for an acoustic/electric, but hey, geezers can't be too picky. 

Sonar Platinum / AMD 5 ghz 8-core CPU w/8 GB RAM / nVidia GTX-780 graphics / Roland A-500Pro MIDI keyboard / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface / Komplete 9 Ultimate / Melodyne Essential / Digitech Vocalist Live Pro/ Roland MSGS synth module / Rode NT2 microphone / an understanding wife
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/02/07 02:40:50 (permalink)
    I can only commiserate as I too suffer badly with arthritis everywhere but have no suggestion for getting around the difficulty you experience playing. If I had an answer I'd help myself.

I'm reasonably content enough to record others when I now get the chance.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/02/07 06:28:27 (permalink)
    A fellow Pedal Steel Guitar player has arthritis in his left hand.  He was a professional lead guitar player but in the 90's developed the arthritis and had to give up his guitar playing career.  He started playing pedal steel and now has a new career as a Pedal steel guitar player. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Ricebug
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/02/07 09:21:10 (permalink)
    You know, this is a great forum. I thought it would be populated by 17-year-old wannabes whose virtuosity peaked with power chords. It's nice to know there's a "family" of musicians in all age groups with whom we can relate.

Now, where is my In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida lead sheet?!?!

Paul P
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/02/07 10:45:33 (permalink)
    fireberd
    A fellow Pedal Steel Guitar player has arthritis in his left hand.  He was a professional lead guitar player but in the 90's developed the arthritis and had to give up his guitar playing career.  He started playing pedal steel and now has a new career as a Pedal steel guitar player. 

Now there's an idea.  I wondered if you could play something other that country (I'm clueless regarding pedal steel guitars) and came across these vids :

Pedal steel, rock/blues  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9YCmsgE2uU
    Lap steel, heavy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuZrLOg6gQo

post edited by Paul P - 2016/02/07 11:02:48

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    KHARMA
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/02/07 11:04:16 (permalink)
    Ricebug
    I'm approaching 64 and have arthritis in my left hand. I gave my beautiful Ovation 6-string acoustic/electric to an aspiring musician in our church band. After 2 years, I'm missing it terribly.

Do any of you guitarists know of a guitar that could accommodate my crippled hand? It's not that bad; mainly the pinkie finger. (Curse those bar chords!) I've been using Real Guitar 4, and even bought a Playstation Guitar Hero controller to get down. But they just don't come close to the Real Deal.
    KHARMA
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/02/07 11:23:34 (permalink)
    Hello,
    I've rarely poster here tho I'm an avid reader. Please excuse if I don't follow all protocols.

This topic is close to my heart as I was diagnosed with cancer in my left arm in 2005 and lost most of the use and feeling in my left hand as a result of surgery. That was the end of over 40 years of guitar playing as I knew it. After years of missing it I began investigating smaller instruments. Sometimes called parlor guitars, these 3/4 sized instruments have scale lengths of around 23-1/2" vs regular guitars which are around 25" and up. Martin and Taylor currently make inexpensive acoustic travel instruments in this category. For jazz, you have to go back a ways and/or pay more--'50s Gibson ES-140, also Benedetto Andy. And the Les Paul Junior is a small sold body. There are others.

I'll never play 4 or 5 note jazz chords again, but instruments like these have helped me recover some of the joy of playing. I also found a small Ibanez microbass (24.8" scale) that has been very satisfying. Never played bass but always loved playing bass lines on guitar and this thing has been a blast. Mostly one note at a time helps a lot.
    Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/02/07 12:03:44 (permalink)
    +1 to KHARMA's post
    I have the same left hand issue with my pinky hurts on some chords,, I have just simplified my chording. I also have a frozen right shoulder and cannot play a full size accoustic anymore. 
    I love Yamaha APX guitars, I had an older one that I wore out after 20 years so like a fool I sold it cheap to a person who wanted it badly..
    So I found my self shopping for another small bodied Acoustic Electric.
    The newer APX = I didn't like the electronics. Very uneven volume from string to string.
    I love my Taylor mini GS and highly recomend that if you have $800
    I also bought a Art and Luthier Folk which I play at work ( Care Facility ) for hours on end. 
    You can also meet in the middle and buy a nice Jazz style electric. 
    Taylor and many brands make very nice Jazz style guitars. If your just sitting on the couch thats all the volume your really need. I have an old Guild T100 I use for my couch guitar. I put flat wounds on it it is the easiest guitar I've ever played. It's loud eneough to fill a small room too. 

post edited by Cactus Music - 2016/02/07 12:21:57

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Ripwolf
    • Total Posts : 162
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/02/07 14:21:58 (permalink)
    I have arthritis in the middle and front joints of all my fingers though most prominatly in the end joints of the middle fingers of both hands. There are certain chords I can no longer play or can do them with great difficulty. I will take 2 alleve and soak my hands in hot water followed by rubbing them down with rubbing alcohol. The limitations have forced me to rethink the chord inversions I choose. Single notes are ok for me but with some discomfort. I also play bass and have found that the much wider neck on my 5 string is a bit easier as it forces me to play a little more flat fingered. I wish you the best.

ripwagner.com.
    Sonar Platinum Lifetime.Windows 10 64-bit,AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 8400, 2 monitors, Focusrite 2i4, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Console 1 mkII, Maschine Mikro MK2, Maschine Jam,, Komplete Kontroll S 25, Akai Advance 49,  Casio Privia PX-150, Mackie 1202, Line 6 POD, Vox Tonelab le, Komplete 10 Ultimate, East/West Composer cloud . Ez Drummer 2 and Superior Drummer 3, Assorted collection of acoustic, electric guitars and basses and amps.

jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/02/09 18:04:59 (permalink)
    I just turned 64 and have arthritis (osteo), mostly in my spine but my fretting hand, index finger, middle knuckle gives me trouble after a bit sometimes. Voltaren Gel helps a lot, it kelps with knees and ankles too... not so much for the spine but I have other things for that. Voltaren Gel is a prescription med. I asked the doctor about it getting in my blood and NSAIDs building up. He said it pretty much stays where you put it, what gets in the blood is negligible. I recommend it. On a bad day you will probably just have to play through it. I hope you get relief.
    J

EDIT> I don't know if you need an acoustic/electric but if not I find the Taylor Bog Baby a very comfortable guitar, I usually tune down a half step but that is so I can do bends more easily. I don't know how the Fender acoustic guitars play but if I were you I would try taking a trip to a Sam Ash or a GC and play guitars until you find one that works for both your finger and your body. A Line6 Variax might be a good option for you. I imagine it would be easier to play and maybe it has a decent acoustic model. If the Bog Baby works for you but you need electronics you might try the iRig Acoustic from IK. It sounds decent, amplifies through an iLOUD, and has several body models and some FX. I like it and it is only $50.00 pus $10 for the APP. Of course you can use it on any acoustic. Something to think about. I remember those old Ovations, they played like an electric but would always slide off my knee, lol.
    http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigacoustic/ you run it through an iPhone or iPad into any line in source, powered monitor or mixer. So, it could help your choice of guitars to not be limited to ones with onboard electronics, if that matters.
    The Taylor Big Baby is a bolt neck but sounds fine to me. It is also 15/16ths size. The back is slightly bowed out, I think it gives it a little better tone.

post edited by jbow - 2016/02/09 18:27:23

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    Kevin Kascak
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 839
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/02/20 20:20:00 (permalink)
    Try a guitar with a more rounded radius if your doing chording.  Original old Fenders had a 7.25 radius instead of the modern 9.5 radius.  Test different neck radius' and also width until you find the combination that is most comfortable.  Fender, Gibson and PRS are easy to look up specs.  Then go to a music store and try models you know the specs.

You hand will tell you which is best.

TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/02/21 14:36:13 (permalink)
    Ricebug
    Now, where is my In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida lead sheet?!?!

PM/track down forum member bitflipper. He and his band played a 30-minute version of IAGDV in Augsburg, Germany when I was stationed there in 1971. I bet he could help you out! 

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/02/21 14:59:20 (permalink)
    I haven't read all the posts above so I don't know if this is a repeat...

Consider using a Capo. That will reduce the action across the board and might demand less work from your hand.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    MarioD
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/03/02 09:48:03 (permalink)
    I came down with rheumatoid arthritis a number of years ago.  My doctor put me on heavy doses of ibuprofen that not only helped my arthritis but also raised my blood pressure to sky high levels..  After hitting the books I stopped taking ibuprofen and started the over the counter Glucosamine &  Chondroitin (Glucosamine hydrochloride 1500 mg - Chondroitin sulfate sodium - 1200 mg) tablets.  I can now play guitar again and my blood pressure is normal.  YMMV

A pedal guitar has been mentioned as a playing option. You might want to try raising your strings with extension nut,
    http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Nuts_and_Saddles/Grover_Perfect_Guitar_Extension_Nut.html

buying a slide
    http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Accessories/Capos_and_Slides/Shubb-Pearse_Guitar_Steel.html

and play some slide guitar.  This just might be an inexpensive alternative to purchasing a pedal guitar.

Just my thoughts.

The reason people say the vinyl sounds better is because the music was better.

Sonar Platinum, Intel i7 –2600 CPU @ 3.2 GHz, 16 GB ram, 2x2TB internal drives and 1 1TB internal drive, Radeon HD 5570 video card, HP 25" monitor,
    Roland Octa Capture, MOTU Midi Express 128, Win 10 Pro

www.soundcloud.com/Mario_Guitar
    Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/03/02 10:24:50 (permalink)
    I don't go with taking pain killers to solve the problem,, 
    That will probably kill you sooner than the arthritis would. 
    Medical doctors prescribe pharmaceutical, it's just good business practise. 
    I'm going to go to a Naturepath and see what they can do with the alternatives. 
    Diet is a big part of reducing inflammation in general. 
    It might mean giving up dairy and Wheat or something like that but I'm willing to give it a try. 

Yes taking up slide guitar is an option, any type of slide including pedal steel , but there is lots of music played with bottleneck and slide techniques. 

Take up playing bass, Bass does not bother my hands at all because there's no string tension. 
    Take up the drums , the keyboard ,,, just about a million ways to play on really. 

As far as guitars go, a shorter scale lenth helps. Taylor makes 12 frets that are very easy to play. My Taylor GS mini it very easy on full chords.
    I bought this Yamaha 3/4 size student acoustic for my grandson. I am now looking for more 3/4 sized guitars for my self. I once had this old Fender ?? musitang?? that was small. 
    I

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

robbyk
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 705
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/03/02 10:56:40 (permalink)
    MarioD
    After hitting the books I stopped taking ibuprofen and started the over the counter Glucosamine &  Chondroitin (Glucosamine hydrochloride 1500 mg - Chondroitin sulfate sodium - 1200 mg) tablets.  I can now play guitar again and my blood pressure is normal.  YMMV

In addition to the above, which many of my friends take for knee pain, neuralgias, sciatica, etc...I have found curamed (a turmeric product) to be possibly very good for my salivary gland cancer and radiation side effects as a natural anti-inflammatory.

Also, when I had a neck neuralgia in the 90s, I gave up red meat and became mostly vegetarian. Among the really good food groups for anti inflammatory are any alliums especially garlic, capsaicin, black pepper, turmeric...That really helped, red meat is horrible for arthritis.

The transition to a veggie diet takes a while, it took us a year or so, start with one meal a week, but I had help learning to cook from my wife's Asian friends where meat is just a small ingredient in stir fries and I learned a lot from Lidia's Kitchen (Italian) on PBS.

I agree natural is the way to go :)

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
    Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
    Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
    Studio
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/03/02 11:15:23 (permalink)
    looks like you are playing a carvin in your photo?

if you were to put .008's on that,
    super low action,
    and installed a graphtec ghost system on it, voila.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ghostLSTeN
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AcousPhKBa

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Delta Foxtrot
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/03/04 22:13:38 (permalink)
    Finally, a subject I can make make a contribution to! :)

I came down with arthritis in my hands in my thirties (I'm 67 now) and gave up playing acoustic guitars - I stuck with my featherweight touch custom Telecaster, and pretty much gave up playing lots of chords.  In my fifties I added tenosynovitis to the mix (bumps on the tendons in my hands "catch" on the sheaths that guide them and cause some really strange and painful symptoms such as "trigger finger").  About eight years ago I got fed up with just playing blues leads and decided to take up classical-style playing.  After practicing all the stretches and scales and hand exercises I began to find that the pain was receding, and over the last several years I have not only been able to play any style guitar I'm capable of playing, skill-wise, but I have added back acoustic guitars and even play two twelve-strings now daily (they're very easy for 12s, one's a Taylor T5z-12 and the other is a Godin A12).  I also have a Godin ACS-SA nylon-string with synth access, and I play my Tele, a Jackson DK2S, a Godin Spectrum SA steel string, and an old Sigma full-size acoustic/electric.  The easiest "acoustic" guitar I've found is the 6-string Taylor T5z, but in my opinion it's a bit overpriced. 

When I wake up in the morning I can't bend my fingers, but after a few painful minutes I am fully capable, and start the day with a full regimen of scales (I recommend lots of double-interval and 4-per-string drills to really work the hands).  After that I am good to go.  This corresponds to current research, which says that the best thing for arthritis is constant exercise.

Oh, and DO take the Glucosamine/Chondroitin, and if you can get hyaluronic acid & MSM they seem to help too - I get them all in one capsule with boswellia serrata (myrrh) added as well.  Also any other anti-inflammatory herbs, and yes, cutting down or eliminating red meat helps too.

Sorry for blathering on... hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Delta
    Paul P
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/03/04 22:50:42 (permalink)
    Delta Foxtrot
    Sorry for blathering on... hope this helps.

Blather away, your post was inspiring.  I've discovered on my own the 'constant exercise' aspect.  If I'm moving I'm absolutely fine, but if I stop for a few minutes (or hours at the computer which is the very worst) I feel like I went running yesterday for the first time in years.

Delta Foxtrot
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/03/04 23:15:39 (permalink)
    Gracias amigo...   the Buddha said, "To live is to suffer."  If you ain't hurtin' you ain't livin'! :)
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/03/04 23:41:29 (permalink)
    Delta Foxtrot

[...] tenosynovitis to the mix (bumps on the tendons in my hands "catch" on the sheaths that guide them and cause some really strange and painful symptoms such as "trigger finger").  [...]

I am 45, and had this a few years ago... I had no clue what it was though, and it sort of "went away." Lump on the inside of my left ring finger and hurt like hell (on the bone a ring would be worn). In hindsight this makes a bit more sense as my index and ring finger do a lot of the "pounding" on frets, yet I never thought twice about it other than "WTF is this from?" I still have never asked about that, but remember it very well.

This thread (and others similar) is very heartening to me because of the candor and helpfulness provided in a real world scenario. It is very uncommon in many respects, yet the most meaningful (to me anyway). I wish I could offer more "real world" advice, but I definitely want to thank those who have.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/03/05 16:47:47 (permalink)
    I don't have arthritis but I did suffer from a lot of aches and pains for a long time - tennis elbow, neck pain and lower back pain which felt arthritisy. I'm surprised there hasn't been more emphasis on MSM in this thread because it really has been miraculous for me. Get the Jarrow brand Opti-MSM, it's one of the best. I started with a gram a day and worked up to between 8-10g per day. It's amazing stuff and very safe, although some people do report headaches if their initial dose is too high. It gets very good reports for arthritis.

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Reckedtrek
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/03/23 09:56:34 (permalink)
    I've been dealing with carpel tunnel (self diagnosed, at least) and my wife keeps suggesting that I try acupuncture. I don't know if acupuncture helps with arthritis, but she seems to get very good results for her aches and pains (other than me!)

Pharmaceuticals seem to introduce 10 side effects that are worse than the one thing they "manage". Exercise and diet seem like a better place to start than pills. I wish you (all) well! 

eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/03/24 01:20:32 (permalink)
    Ricebug...David Leisner is a NYC guitarist who ended up with focal dystonia.  He's written  extensively about it.  He's recovered full use of his hands.  I don't know whether his tricks could apply to arthritis sufferers, but you might want to inquire:

http://davidleisner.com/

If you live in NYC look him up.
    thepianist65
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 644
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2016/04/01 14:59:17 (permalink)
    I'm not a guitarist (obviously), although I used to play it a bit, many moons ago. But I am 65, and recently have experienced a slight touch of arthritis in my fingers, but fortunately it's barely noticeable at this point. But I just wanted to say that I feel great comfort in this forum because there are so many of us 60-somethings who participate. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy to have more interaction with my peers, unlike my day-job work environment, which is populated by people in their 30's and 40's, most of whom complain about getting "old" as they approach 50--hah! It's particularly gratifying as we see more of our peers and childhood musical icons pass away (often prematurely). Music is the thing that keeps us young, doesn't it? I've been playing since I was 6, so almost 60 years, and I bet many of you out there have played nearly as long, or even longer. I wish all of you who are suffering from physical challenges to find a way to continue to do what you love. It's very inspiring, just reading these posts.
    Someday it would be fun to have a virtual jam session. So many folks my age who are still playing. I love it. Sorry to be sappy, but I couldn't help myself.

www.davemaffris.com
     BLUES:
    https://www.facebook.com/coastalblueband1/

https://www.facebook.com/Midiexpert/?ref=hl
    Please feel free to check out my music, all made with Cakewalk, available on itunes, Amazon, Google, Rdio, etc., etc.
    For mostly jazzy stuff on Soundcloud at these locations:
    https://soundcloud.com/dave-maffris
    or for some different styles of music(pop/rock/covers):
    https://soundcloud.com/dmpianoman
    Tidewater Jazz page:
    https://soundcloud.com/user-84355115

akshayv
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Arthritis and Playing A Guitar 2017/11/23 12:24:16 (permalink)
    Hello it would be really good to hear some advice and talk to people who understand how it feels. I had recently been diagnosed with RA. I was on hydroxychlorquine but been recommended to be on Methotrexate. I had pain in my feet everyday with the mornings being the worse. but when I am wearing , at that time I dont have pain in my feet.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1