Noiseless pickups

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Agentcalm
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 257
2016/02/07 11:26:22 (permalink)

Noiseless pickups

Hi gang.  Here's the deal.  The stock pickups in my Strat are doing my head in with that awful noise which i believe is a known issue with single coil.  So I want to replace them.  I'm not a gigging guitarist so I dont need a mixed set  i.e. a humbucker installed alongside the single coil etc.   No, a set of three single coil will do fine.  But what to choose.  Ah..there's the question.  Seymour duncan are expensive and so are DiMarzio.  Fender do a set for about 160.   But i have come across a make called GFS Redactive.   They are a fraction of the price.  But how good are they.    I do home recording so as long as my strat gets a good sound I'm happy.   If I need more of an ACDC sound on a track i have a guitar here with humbuckers.   Anyone ever tried GFS single coil guys?  Thanks. 

Southern kin y'all 

34 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/07 11:39:21 (permalink)
    I got lucky and found a set of Fender custom shops for $80 in a clearance sale.
    They are perfect for me , a little hotter but not like a humbucker so keeps the guitar original. They are dead quiet around the computer. Highly recomended but look for sales. 

I also have bought pups from GFI and they sound much better than I expected..down side was I had to dip them in wax because they were microphonic. The wax worked and they are very queit as well , just not in love with the tone. Those went in my G&L Tele type guitar which had signal coil Soap Bars. So real hard to find the same size. The originals had better tone but were noisy in the studio so had to go. The GFI's which are basicly smaller humbuckers have made the guitar into more of a Gibson tone and even in when coil tapped to signal coil it's has lost the Tele tone :(  
     I will be looking at Seymore Duncans as a proper upgrade or just put the originals back in and sit 5 feet away from the workstation which works too. 
    Bottom line is your get what you pay for with Pups. 
    post edited by Cactus Music - 2016/02/07 12:02:56

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/07 11:45:12 (permalink)
    My Am Dlx Strat had Fender's "Vintage Noiseless" pups.  I loved them.

These run about 2 bills new for a set.
    post edited by BobF - 2016/02/07 11:58:48

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Agentcalm
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/07 11:46:09 (permalink)
    Hi Johnny.  Thanks for the feedback.  Well that's just it you see, I've never messed with a guitar before and dont have any experience of upgrading etc.  If paying the extra for the Fender set means I just drop them in and there's no messing about then it might be worth it in the long run. Like yourself, I dont want to really change the sound....just lose the awful noise.  It's coming out on my recordings.  
    Xave

Southern kin y'all 
    Agentcalm
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/07 12:34:50 (permalink)
    Thanks Bob.   Im based in Ireland so i have to be careful on cost.  You see if i buy anything from   the US not only do i pay US sales tax but our customs here then keeps the item until I pay Irish sales tax on top of that.   There is a company here in Europe called Thomann and I'm looking on their site.  They have a lot of seymour listed and Dimarzio also.  The marzios are out my range though.  They are averaging alsom 90 dollars your money per pickup.   But the Seymours I could possible manage.   Because I've never tried this before I want to get something I know is recommended and will work.  I'm seeing mixed views about GFS pickups.  I seen some posts where people got bad gear and had problems trying to get refunds etc. 

Southern kin y'all 
    jeteague
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/07 13:05:03 (permalink)
       I was fortunate enough to buy a new US strat a few months ago with stock noiseless pickups.  I love them!  Great for recording and just plain quiet when they should be.  Highly recommended.  These are Fender pickups of course.
       As for other brands. I really don't know.  Since you live in Ireland, try asking your question on the Sound on Sound forum where you may get information  pertaining to more local solutions.  They seem to have a lot a helpful people there (just like here).
    Agentcalm
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/07 13:19:20 (permalink)
    Thanks Jet.  I'm narrowing down the search.  I was looking at those GFS pickups and although they are a great price.....I've seen a few people on forums saying that the product can be a bit hit and miss.  Also seems to be troublesome returning a faulty product.  I'd rather not buy something if there is any question regarding customer support.  As you say, look at the support you get here on cakewalk.    But i will check out that forum you suggest and thanks for the feedback  :) 

Southern kin y'all 
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/07 14:20:05 (permalink)
    The lead player in our band has "Blue" Lace Sensor pickups in his Strat.  I think they are "humbuckers".

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Agentcalm
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/07 15:05:29 (permalink)
    Hi Franklin
    yeah some  folks like to replace the single coils with humbuckers.  It wont sound like a strat anymore but its just a personal choice.  I was thinking of maybe putting in a mixed set of pickups.
    Your safe with the humbuckers as they dont cause noise.  Its picking the right single coil is the biggie.   But i'll do a search for the Lance .  Thanks for the feedback :)
    Xave 

Southern kin y'all 
    haydn12
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/07 15:38:43 (permalink)
    Check out the Fishman Fluence pickups.  They are totally noiseless and are pretty darn close to the original strat pickups.  Also, if you get the loaded pickguard which comes with 3 pickups plus controls, then you also get another hotter sound by pulling out one of the knobs. 

Jim
    Agentcalm
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/07 16:33:25 (permalink)
    Hi Jim
    now that sounds like a system worth lookin at. 

Southern kin y'all 
    Agentcalm
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/07 16:42:51 (permalink)
    ouch...260 euro for the fishman.   Great looking system Jim but WAY over my budget.  
    Thanks anyway for the post.  
    Xave

Southern kin y'all 
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/07 16:54:36 (permalink)
    Have you checked your environment for EMI issues? A single coil will grab EMI if facing the source, so body positioning to known sources (or completely eliminating them) would be something to consider first and foremost. Variable lighting switches, anything with a transformer/amp, CRT's, etc. all throw things single coils love. A more sensitive (i.e. replacement) coil will actually throw you for a loop when you realize just how much a sensitive coil can grab.

A noise gate from the guitar is a second consideration (anywhere from -60 to -40dB depending on interference). This is almost mandatory in "single-coil mode" if a suitable environment is not present.

On a standard Strat (5-position switch) style, positions 2 and 4 are "humbuckers" which is another option. This will give a muddier sound, but is also much more tolerant of EMI (and can be compensated a bit in follow-on FX chains).

I just wanted to mention the above, since I fear that the solution you are seeking is not in "new pickups."

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    pentimentosound
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1535
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/07 17:01:01 (permalink)
    I've got EMG SV's in one and Fralin Split Blades in my other strat and both are dead quiet. I love the Fralin's, but still appreciate the EMG's. I loved having Gold Lace Sensors and they were quieter (by a lot?), if I recall correctly. It's been a long time on that one, though I think I'm going to have get another set. When I hear tracks I did with them, I start looking on eBAY! LOL
       MojoTone has noiseless strat set, too, which has gotten some rave reviews. Though, I think they're $212/set in the US.  You could get one or two noiseless pickups, vs a set of 3. You'd get some benefit and stay on budget. 

And though it's out of your budget, there are Suhr and other vendors that sell a hum canceling back vibrato cavity cover that acts as a dummy coil.  Those are more expensive than a set of pups. A dummy coil set up might be cheap, if you can DIY.
      Since you're looking/buying over there, I would suggest Trev Wilkinson. He has a dummy coil in the new John Jorgenson signature model and I'm sure he has some noiseless or noise-cancelling pups, that are probably cheaper there, than on this side of the pond.

Good luck!
    Michael

BobF
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/07 18:10:55 (permalink)
    Agentcalm
    Thanks Bob.   Im based in Ireland so i have to be careful on cost.  You see if i buy anything from   the US not only do i pay US sales tax but our customs here then keeps the item until I pay Irish sales tax on top of that.   There is a company here in Europe called Thomann and I'm looking on their site.  They have a lot of seymour listed and Dimarzio also.  The marzios are out my range though.  They are averaging alsom 90 dollars your money per pickup.   But the Seymours I could possible manage.   Because I've never tried this before I want to get something I know is recommended and will work.  I'm seeing mixed views about GFS pickups.  I seen some posts where people got bad gear and had problems trying to get refunds etc. 

The only experience I have with GFS is a set of their Mean90 pickups I put in an Epi LP.  Very nice P90-ish tone for $35US each.

Bob  --
    --

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/08 12:50:26 (permalink)
    what i use:

L-280

http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_NF_Singles.html

they sound great,
    and are usually about half the price of other hand made or 'boutique' pickups.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Agentcalm
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/08 14:55:14 (permalink)
    Thanks Michael and "Bats" for the pups suggestions.  
    hi Mett... yes i was looking at the room. As i do recording I have to be aware of these issues.  Turning away from the amp helps a little and yes, if I chose a switch position so that any two of the pup are in use it also helps.   But I will look into the idea of a noise gate for sure.  If they are inexpensive it would certainly be worth a shot.  

Southern kin y'all 
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/08 15:54:58 (permalink)
    A quick method to test a noise gate scenario is to run the guitar directly into your interface, and output to your amp (clean project), with a gate in the FX bin on a monitored track. If you can get low enough latency to track this way, it would negate the need for a "hardware" version, but bear in mind that a recorded track would still have the noise in it (as it is recorded straight from the interface). You could then either leave the gate in place or bounce the track to bake it into the signal as options from that point. A lot depends on your preferred setup, but this will give you insight as to what the gate alone can do for you.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/08 16:09:03 (permalink)
    Check out the Strat Talk forums, this topic comes up a lot over there......right Gonzo!

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    Agentcalm
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/08 16:40:50 (permalink)
    Hi Mett.  I'm just looking at some options.  EH Hum debugger a little expensive $117
    Electro H silencer better price  55     Morley Ebtech about 70
    Boss do a pedal also.  NS-2   About 85 to 90.
    Although all of these products are advertised as reducing hum....non of their web site mention single coil problems in particular.  I'll send them a mail.
    Hey Mike, I've posted a question on that strat talk site.  Waiting to see if i get any answers :) 

Southern kin y'all 
    RD9
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 154
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/08 17:04:25 (permalink)
    Depending on whether you use all three pickups or not you could change out only one (or two) of them with a Duncan, Lace or Dimarzio.  This often results in a significant difference in output if you aren't careful.   I went the easy (and more expensive) route and bought a Dimarzio Area loaded pickguard and really love it.

Cheers.
    Agentcalm
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/08 17:09:07 (permalink)
    I didnt actually realize there could be problems by changing say just one pickup.  It was something i was considering.  You know, change a pickup now and change another in a few months when i get the money together. 

Southern kin y'all 
    pentimentosound
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/08 17:21:38 (permalink)
    Magnetic fields are in planes and sometimes turning 45 to 90 degrees will help. That sometimes takes care of things for me, with my single coiled guitars/steels/mandolin.
         Seems like Gibson had a P100 out, meaning a P90 humbucker. I enjoyed owning/recording with a Gibson BluesHawk and Epiphone makes a pretty nice version of that.
        Mini humbuckers might be an option, too.
        I liked combining a single coil or tapped humbucker with a full humbucker sound on a Carvin DC127 (long gone unfortunately). I've wondered whether a humbucker strat in the middle position would help with the bridge and neck, in a blender set up, where the middle has it's own volume. I imagine you could blend the noise "down" with that, but have yet to explore that set up. I'm saving that for my next Tele,  a "Brent Mason" approach.
    Michael
    pentimentosound
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/08 17:25:19 (permalink)
    Depends on the pickup, but it's do-able and budget friendly! LOL

I'm hoping to try out an Area loaded Strat, but so far have only heard YouTube demos and I want to "test drive" them, if I can.
    Michael
    RD9
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 154
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/09 00:20:55 (permalink)
    Agentcalm
    I didnt actually realize there could be problems by changing say just one pickup.  It was something i was considering.  You know, change a pickup now and change another in a few months when i get the money together. 

I wouldn't really call it a problem but just be aware that the output (volume) of different pickup designs can be different.  Usually one tries to match them but it is not a show stopper, especially if you use only one pickup at a time.  There are plenty of posts about pickup output matching elsewhere on the web. 

Cheers.
    michaelhanson
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/09 09:58:39 (permalink)
    Also keep in mind that pick up companies wind their pickups differently.  If you are used to noise cancellation in the 2 and 4 position, make sure that the pick up you purchase is wound the same way...if cancellation matters to you.  For instance, most of Seymour Duncan's single coil pickups are wound the opposite of Fender pickups.  

Maybe not such a big deal for Noiseless Pickups, but for regular Single Coils, it can create issues.  

Do you have a link to your question at Strat Talk?
    post edited by michaelhanson - 2016/02/09 10:07:13

Mike

iTunes:

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/09 10:14:38 (permalink)
    The Fender noiseless pickups are basically single-coil sized humbuckers with side-by-side coils. The "vintage" set required using a specific set of pots which Fender hoped would allow the treble output to be something like the vintage single-coils. It wasn't. Tried a set and hated them. The distinctive Strat bell-like quality was missing and they just didn't sound like a Strat.

The later Fender noiseless sets are better, but again don't really have the vintage Strat sound and feel, especially when played clean.

The best quiet (not noiseless, but very quiet) Strat pickups for my purposes and taste are the Lace hot gold set. Single coils, only very quiet with a hotter bridge pickup which makes the bridge p/u usable on its own because the usual volume drop is gone and the tone's less brittle. The standard Lace gold set are the same, but with a vintage output bridge pickup. Good blues/surf/Hendrix sound and feel. Some people reckon they're "characterless" but I can't say I've noticed. Good for driving effects as well.

The Kinman silent Strat pickups are considered good by lots of people, but they aren't cheap.

As for Gibson P100s, everyone but everyone hated them because....reasons. Well, everyone but me, my mark 1 ES135 has them. They're a stacked humbucker with shallow wide coils. They are a bit like a low-output P90 with a big dose of the vintage low output Firebird mini-bucker. A bit low in output terms, but as for tone lots of people tell me that guitar sounds really good because "you can't beat good old P90s" <shrug>.

Gibson dropped P100s from their product line in the late 90s, you can't even get them as OEM replacement spares. The mark2 ES135 was given the Gibson standard-issue humbuckers.

Noise gates are an option to reduce hum, but they work by shutting down the signal completely so if the hum is present while notes trail off you either have to live with that level of hum and only kill it in the silences or greatly reduce the sustain available from the guitar.

About the best I've found is the Boss NS pedal. There are critical reviews around the web but often from people who aren't using it properly or tried it for 5 minutes in a shop. It works by the guitar being plugged into the detector circuit then pedals, especially noisy pedals, go in a loop. You set the gate up based on the guitar's sound and output, the loop only opening when the guitar signal is high enough to open the gate. Because you're gating the noise at source from the guitar rather than trying to gate the noise from noisy pedals then lose clean sustain, the gate can be held open longer and you're preventing noise between notes getting into the pedals. The only thing to watch is compressors might need to go before the gate if used for sustain and delay and reverb need to be after the pedal or they'll be silenced as the gate closes.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    michaelhanson
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/09 10:27:19 (permalink)
    DiMarzio Area's also seem to get a lot of good review.  

I did not like the set of N3's I had on my Strat, as mentioned, they seemed to take away that bell like tone.  Oddly, the American Deluxe I had 10 years ago, I really liked the noiseless pickups on that one.  I'm not sure what they were, but I think Vintage Noiseless.  

Mike

iTunes:

BMI
    BobF
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/09 10:35:08 (permalink)
    michaelhanson
    DiMarzio Area's also seem to get a lot of good review.  

I did not like the set of N3's I had on my Strat, as mentioned, they seemed to take away that bell like tone.  Oddly, the American Deluxe I had 10 years ago, I really liked the noiseless pickups on that one.  I'm not sure what they were, but I think Vintage Noiseless.  

The Vintage Noiseless I mentioned above were the stock pups in a '98 Am Dlx.

Bob  --
    --

Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Noiseless pickups 2016/02/09 11:25:13 (permalink)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DF65XM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

I forgot I added this to my bridge position. 
    Like I said earlier in a quest for quiet I bought the complete set on Custom Shop Stat pups. Sorry I can't find the name, I threw out the box, but they were hot signal coils, not humbuckers. 
    HUGE improvement over the stock Americans I had and no more noise. But I needed more overdrive. 
    So the DMarzio DP189 was added and it works great along side the 2 custom shops. It has coil tap so goes signal coil too. Not the same quack as the true signal coil but good enough for me. 
    So if you want to try just one for a start I highly recommend this one. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1