Mastered for iTunes?

Author
Maarkr
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 488
2016/02/08 09:40:11 (permalink)

Mastered for iTunes?

anyone considering/doing this?  Here's a clip from a mastering house that does iTunes mastering...

With or without Mastered for iTunes in mind, if you are planning for a release with wide-spread digital distribution, I recommend the following practices during the recording, mixing and mastering stages:
  • Record the music in 24-bit 44.1kHz sample rate, or higher, using conservative levels (RMS level of -24dBFS is ideal, peaks should be no higher than -6dBFS)
  • Mix to a 24-bit 96kHz sample rate file, using a mixing platform that can handle 32 or 64-bit floating point 96kHz or higher internal architecture, keeping levels throughout the chain to a conservative level (RMS level of -24dBFS is also ideal, here)
  • Master to a 24-bit 44.1kHz sample rate WAV file (or higher), using a mastering platform that can handle 32 or 64-bit floating point 96kHz or higher internal architecture (see note, below)
  • Master to a 16-bit 44.1kHz WAV file, specially optimized for that bit depth and sample rate
  • Check both masters for any clipping, and make any necessary adjustments
  • Convert both masters to iTunes plus format, and check for clipping again, then go back and make any necessary adjustments
  • Submit the 24-bit WAV master to an MFiT aggregator to submit to iTunes only, and submit the 16-bit WAV version as a separate release for other distribution companies (discard the temporary AAC copies you made in the steps above)
I can't imagine mastering my stuff to RMS -24dBfs.  What level do they push it from there?  It looks like it can only be done also in OSX.

Maarkr
Studio: SPALT Lifetime/BL Cakewalk, Studio One 3.5, UAD, Z3ta+2, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melda, Reaper
i7 3770/Giga Z77 mobo, Win10 Pro-64 w16Gb, MOTU Ultralite MK4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Roland Lucina, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez Bass, Amps, e-drums, Zoom R-16...
Latest album release, NEW! Counry Classic at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/

20 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/08 11:18:41 (permalink)
    When you submit a file (usually an uncompressed wave) for iTunes distribution, it gets (re)encoded and normalized.

What you're accomplishing by mastering to such a conservative standard is making sure that iTunes only raises your volume rather than lowering it. A very hot master suffers when lowered in volume, sounding dull and wimpy. But raising a dynamic master doesn't hurt anything. You're also avoiding artifacts and overs that appear when encoding a hot file using a lossy encoder such as iTunes' AAC (or MP3, for that matter).

The only downside to "mastered for iTunes" is that if you also want to put your songs onto a CD, you'll probably want to create separate masters for each. You're going to want a hotter master for the CD, and there is no penalty for doing so as long as you don't go overboard. (At least, not until somebody rips MP3s from the CD, in which case they'll get better results if the CD is a little on the conservative side.) 

Then there's the matter of SoundCloud and YouTube. YouTube's normalization standard is even more conservative than iTunes. SoundCloud accepts uncompressed files, but streams everything at 128 kb/s, so that's a whole 'nother can 'o worms. Even though it doesn't normalize, you still have to consider the issue of MP3 artifacts that are exacerbated by loud mastering.

Of course, if your tune finds its way to commercial radio or television, there's a whole different standard for that. Broadcasting does the most drastic things to your music, and the -24 (US) or -23 LUFS (rest of the world) standards are strictly enforced so you have no choice but to follow them.

Bottom line is that each distribution medium warrants its own mastering standards. However, the overarching message is keep it conservative regardless of the final destination. Limit peaks to no more than -1 dB, which works fine for AAC, MP3, and CDs. For overall volume, you need a LUFS meter and shoot for an average of around -14 to -16 LUFS, a nice compromise that will work for YouTube, SoundCloud and iTunes. -11 LUFS seems to be a nice target for CDs, but that may be too conservative for some genres and too aggressive for others. 
    post edited by bitflipper - 2016/02/08 11:28:13

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/08 11:42:43 (permalink)
    Don't know where that -24dB RMS or -6dB peak stuff is coming from. Maybe that particular mastering facility doesn't want to be handling audio that's already been volume maximised and squished to the max by someone without either the tools or knowledge to limit properly and would rather deal with conservative levels because it's easier for them and they end up telling fewer people their mix isn't suitable for mastering even if the -6dB peak means they're throwing a chunk of dynamic range away before they start.

Apple's technological brief is here - http://images.apple.com/u...astered_for_itunes.pdf and doesn't mention it.

Apple's provided tools are indeed for OS X, but Apple's main concern seems to be helping people avoid digital and inter-sample clipping. The OS X tools basically let you do what Apple do when a file is submitted for iTunes so you can do the conversion to AAC and a clipping check yourself and confirm the result is what you expect.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/08 12:48:34 (permalink)
    i mix 24 bit files to about -22db RMS,
    and about -6 to -8 for peaks.

that is an UNMASTERED final stereo bounce.

so, saying the word MASTER, DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT LOUD!!!

can you hear me now?!!

LOL

i could 'master' that file, by simply doing minor adjustments of eq, minor compressor tweaks with no extra gain supplied, and no brickwall limiting at all, apply dither, and have the file peak at the same peaks, with only a slightly reduced rms average due to the way i used the compressor......

but, on the other hand....
    i could upload my unmastered file, according to the itunes format, and that would work just fine with their proprietary encoding,
    and supposedly my unmastered file would sound just as loud as a professionally mastered file, that was super loud,
    that had been dumbed down by the itunes process.

in fact, my unmastered file may sound WAY more dynamic than a professionally mastered file that had been mastered for volume.

all that said, i'd like to hear a comparison side by side,
    no one has really gone there yet, as i can tell..

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/08 13:20:15 (permalink)
    batsbrew
    all that said, i'd like to hear a comparison side by side,
    no one has really gone there yet, as i can tell..

Which is surprising since it's surely pretty easy to perform.

I just did a quick search and found absolutely nothing on the matter.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/08 20:46:52 (permalink)
    Sounds like a bunch of hooey to me .  It is just attempting to make the best of a bad format.  I haven't heard a "Mastered for iTunes" album that sounds any better than the original CD converted to mp3.  Different, yes.  Possibly worse, definitely.  

Daniel Rumley
    Rumley Music and Audio Production
    www.rumleymusic.com
    batsbrew
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/08 20:54:14 (permalink)
    daniel,
    i think you are missing the point..
    it's to drive folks back to making dynamic music,
    by having a system that makes every album play back on an even playing field.

this is actually what we all should be demanding.
    a stop to this insane 'volume war'

if you didn't need to 'master' you mixes ( i like my mixes as they are pre mastering,, actually).....
    then everyone's mixes would play back at the same volume,
    and it would make more sense to NOT compress,
    to NOT limit,
    to have lively dynamic mixes again,
    instead of a homogenous mess that is all one volume, all the time.

soap box.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Maarkr
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 488
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/08 21:11:27 (permalink)
    if I submit it at RMS -24dBfs, and rely on iTunes to volume match it to match everything else, then I don't REALLY know what it will sound like if they push it 10 db?  
    for now i'll just stick to my current ~ RMS -14dBfs and peaks limited to -.5

Maarkr
    Studio: SPALT Lifetime/BL Cakewalk, Studio One 3.5, UAD, Z3ta+2, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melda, Reaper
    i7 3770/Giga Z77 mobo, Win10 Pro-64 w16Gb, MOTU Ultralite MK4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Roland Lucina, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez Bass, Amps, e-drums, Zoom R-16...
    Latest album release, NEW! Counry Classic at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/
    olemon
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 768
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/09 08:08:46 (permalink)
    I recently released a single using CD Baby...to go through the motions more than anything else.  They handled all of the distribution to major streaming sites including iTunes.  I don't really know how CD Baby accomplishes this, but they ask for a 24bit 44.1kHz wave file...and a payment:)

The first wave I submitted I had 'mastered' to -0.3 dB I think, which is usually what I export mp3's at.  CD Baby's mp3 sounded harsh to me - which doesn't mean my 'master' didn't in the first place - but since you have a chance to review the song on their site, I resubmitted wave file with levels no more than -1.0 dB.  I don't have the ears of a producer, but I thought the second one was better.

Here's that tune at CD Baby:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/scottholson

It's on iTunes under same song title and artist name should anyone want to listen for differences.
    post edited by olemon - 2016/02/09 17:53:36

https://www.reverbnation.com/scottholson

Platinum, Studio One 3 Pro, Win 10 (x64), AMD FX-8350, ASUS M5A97 R2.0, 16GB, RME UCX, Digimax DP88, Faderport 8, Revive Audio Mod Studio Channel, Vintage Audio M72, Summit Audio TLA-50, KRK Rokit 5 G2 Monitors, Guitars

"If you wait till the last minute, it only takes a minute."
    batsbrew
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/09 12:12:46 (permalink)
    you don't allow someone to master an already mastered file.
    that ruins it.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/09 13:28:41 (permalink)
    I believe the ideal iTunes level is -16 LUFS.  So for a track that is consistent most of the way through a K-14 dB rms master is very close to that level so go with that.

Masters way down at -24 dB rms are too low for iTunes.  You are depending on them adding gain.  At around -14 dB rms then no gain needs to be added or removed, it should be about right.

No client I have ever worked for Bats would accept a -24 dB rms master either for CD. Way too soft.  As a mastering engineer you would not get away with it.  I agree it would be nice but not possible just yet.

No harm in doing a pre master at -24 rms though. ( I usually stick with -20 the K standard) but you have that as a pre mastered file.  So your pre mastered file might be -20 or -24 and even 96K/24 bit but for iTunes make it into a 44.1K/16 bit K-14 file for distribution.

Read the Bob Katz book on Mastering for iTunes. That Apple article on mastering for iTunes is not helpful.  In 10 pages it still does not mention the most important bit of information which is at what level rms (or LUFS) do they start adding or subtracting gain.  I believe it -16.5 LUFS.  For consistent level tracks a K-14 master is around -16 LUFS usually so it is a good reference to shoot for.  Tracks at -11 db rms are starting to get loud and iTunes will be shaving gain off.  A good thing to do is to import the tracks into iTunes and switch on 'Sound Check'  It basically does the same sort of thing.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2016/02/09 13:55:14

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    batsbrew
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/09 15:02:00 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

No client I have ever worked for Bats would accept a -24 dB rms master either for CD. Way too soft.  As a mastering engineer you would not get away with it.  I agree it would be nice but not possible just yet.

just for clarification:

"i mix 24 bit files to about -22db RMS,
    and about -6 to -8 for peaks.

that is an UNMASTERED final stereo bounce."

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/09 17:14:31 (permalink)
    Yes Bats I know what you are saying.  You are talking Pre Master.  But I have tried the concept of uploading a very quiet master to iTunes eg -20 etc and it did not make it as loud as a very loud master so that is a bit of a myth.  It was loud and OK but still not as loud as say a -16 LUFS master is.

My advice is do not depend on iTunes to turn your master up.  Rather get them to turn it down but not by much.  So as I mentioned before a K-14 or -16 LUFS master is right in the ballk park for iTunes to not do much at all to your level.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/09 21:43:25 (permalink)
    Has anyone here w a Mac actually used the Mastered for i Tunes applet for getting an Idea on how your tune will sound ? 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

olemon
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/10 09:54:39 (permalink)
    batsbrew
    you don't allow someone to master an already mastered file.
    that ruins it.

Were you directing that comment at me?  CD Baby is not mastering my wave file, just converting it.  They prefer a wave as opposed to an mp3.  It's my assumption that they perform a similar conversion for iTunes.

A local radio station is going to broadcast a couple of my songs and interview me about songwriting and home-studio recording.  I already sent them a cd on which I kept the levels around -1.5 to -1.0 dBFS.  I'm wondering if that's going to be okay.  Perhaps I should start a new thread.

Platinum, Studio One 3 Pro, Win 10 (x64), AMD FX-8350, ASUS M5A97 R2.0, 16GB, RME UCX, Digimax DP88, Faderport 8, Revive Audio Mod Studio Channel, Vintage Audio M72, Summit Audio TLA-50, KRK Rokit 5 G2 Monitors, Guitars

batsbrew
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/10 10:00:28 (permalink)
    radio stations have their own limiters they put everything thru.

if you have a 'hot' mastered file,
    it will sound wimpy and crushed when put thru the radio station equipment.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/10 10:02:46 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans
    Yes Bats I know what you are saying.  You are talking Pre Master.  But I have tried the concept of uploading a very quiet master to iTunes eg -20 etc and it did not make it as loud as a very loud master so that is a bit of a myth.  It was loud and OK but still not as loud as say a -16 LUFS master is.

My advice is do not depend on iTunes to turn your master up.  Rather get them to turn it down but not by much.  So as I mentioned before a K-14 or -16 LUFS master is right in the ballk park for iTunes to not do much at all to your level.

they must have some kind of 'range' of dynamic control they apply to it..
    again, it's so vague, as to not bother with it.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/10 13:16:49 (permalink)
    I'm the odd man on this one, but I personally master for the song and have never paid attention to iTunes or any other online site. I've never noticed any issues with my masters for people other than when any encoding below 192 is used for mp3's. Anything 192 and above, and I hear no differences that make me wish I had taken another approach.

In my personal opinion, I do not believe the actual dB reading is the issue. I can squash the heck out of something and keep a sane level....and that is where you will hear changes when something is encoded. If you don't kill the compression and literally master for the song as far as loudness goes without killing your limiter threshold, none of the final output volumes have made a difference negatively.

For example, it is rare for me to go louder than -4.5 to -5 on my limiter threshold and I like to keep things at -0.3 to -1 depending on what may sound better for the song. Years ago it was nothing for me to slam -6.8 to -7 on the limiter threshold. The more you comp the mix and squash the life out of it, the more encoding will kill it no matter who does the encoding. For that reason, I honestly never pay attention to final dB numbers unless I specifically have to for a TV or film client etc...or someone that asks for something specific.

My advice? Let the music breathe...stop comparing to some of the commercially mixed garbage that caters to loud, lo-def music that only sounds good on earbuds....and you set the example while making people follow you for great fidelity, dynamics and for being yourself. I have a nice little gang of dudes that literally hold some of my mixes as reference mixes. Some of them are higher in the food chain than myself. It's the ultimate pat on the back to have people bench marking their material off of mixes you may have created.

Whether I suck as an engineer or am doing things completely wrong or not....I got some people I hold in high regard that think I'm onto something. Don't be afraid to be dynamic and turn up the volume knob. As soon as we remove hyper-compression/limiting from our worlds, all the stupid things I see being debated and discussed on message forums will go away and people will concentrate more on just learning to record with quality, and releasing product faster.

Seriously....do you know how many threads get posted on ALL forums about how limiters and final volume outputs are important to people? It shouldn't be important because if you think about it, it's the biggest load of artist stifled creativity ever brought into the marketing world. Seriously think about all the volume related things you have read and how many times you or others you know sat with a mix and tried to get it as loud as something commercial.

Then think about how much time was wasted in doing that. No one other than you and any engineers that think they are special for contributing to the loudness/limiter wars will care. Music lovers just want your music. They could give a rats @ss about LUFS, the K system, dB's or how much time was spent loading and re-uploading to iTunes hoping for that magical mix. Keep your volumes sane, your limiting to a minimum or slightly aggressive when need be....and never worry about any of this stuff again. Trust me on this one. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/12 05:45:19 (permalink)
    2 days ago I asked if any one here uses a Mac on occasion and has used the free Mastered for i Tunes  applet ...
    I have all this $hit and my focus has been on working in SONAR these days

http://www.apple.com/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/
    https://www.apple.com/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/docs/mastered_for_itunes.pdf
    http://9to5mac.com/2012/02/28/mastering-engineer-proves-mastered-for-itunes-doesnt-sound-closer-to-the-cd/

Rumley............ Ry Cooder happens to like using the applet

http://gizmodo.com/231058...o-master-his-new-album

cheers ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

robbyk
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 705
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/12 10:21:05 (permalink)
    Danny Danzi
    My advice? Let the music breathe....and you set the example while making people follow you for great fidelity, dynamics and for being yourself.

Don't be afraid to be dynamic and turn up the volume knob.

Keep your volumes sane, your limiting to a minimum or slightly aggressive when need be....and never worry about any of this stuff again. Trust me on this one. :)

-Danny

Words to live by, for sure...I think I'll keep a copy of the entire post from Danny on my desk :)

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
    Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
    Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
    Studio
    olemon
    Re: Mastered for iTunes? 2016/02/12 16:56:14 (permalink)
    robbyk
    Danny Danzi
    My advice? Let the music breathe....and you set the example while making people follow you for great fidelity, dynamics and for being yourself.

Don't be afraid to be dynamic and turn up the volume knob.

Keep your volumes sane, your limiting to a minimum or slightly aggressive when need be....and never worry about any of this stuff again. Trust me on this one. :)

-Danny

Words to live by, for sure...I think I'll keep a copy of the entire post from Danny on my desk :)

Very encouraged by all of that.

Generally, I aim for a level of -6 dBFS on my mixes.  When I 'master' a mix by importing the 24-bit wave file into a clean Sonar project, I aim for a mastered level of -0.3 dBFS for MP3's and -1.0 dBFS for CD 16-bit wave files.

I usually export MP3's at 192 kbps - just because:)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1