Unable to open audio playback device on some projects on Manchester

Author
Alex McAllister
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2016/01/31 16:19:57 (permalink)

Unable to open audio playback device on some projects on Manchester

Since Manchester a number of previously fine projects simply will not play , full error message below. Seems to be totally hit and miss, many are still playing OK and there's no apparent common factor in the problem songs. Nothing but Manchester has changed on my PC (I7, Windows 10, eight core 16 GB RAM with an Octacapture).  Tried soloing and muting combinations of tracks with the same result.

Unable to open audio playback device. Device may not support the current project's audio format or may be in use. 

15 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Unable to open audio playback device on some projects on Manchester 2016/01/31 16:27:41 (permalink)
    So you have verified the interface and driver mode settings in SONAR have not changed?
    Alex McAllister
    Re: Unable to open audio playback device on some projects on Manchester 2016/02/01 09:15:06 (permalink)
    Thank you for your reply. Sonar updates have typically not changed any of my settings and I do not change them at all for particular projects. If it was an accidental change by the update, wouldn't all of my projects be affected?
    I tried a random assortment of older projects and material as old as 2010, 2011,2012 plays back fine. The projects that won't play all use a mix of analog tracks and soft synths, and I have similar tracks recorded within the same time period that play without a hitch. One song I was doing a final mix on two days before Manchester now simply will not play, but a remix - based on the same original project - plays perfectly :  I've added no hardware, downloaded no Windows updates, and the Octacapture drivers are at their latest version.     
    Hatstand
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 597
    Re: Unable to open audio playback device on some projects on Manchester 2016/02/01 09:27:13 (permalink)
    Perhaps there is a track in this particular project that has a resource hungry plugin?
    You could try freezing any track(s) that have a lot of plugins or fx and see if it plays then (freeze first before you hit play)

Sonar Platinum - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - AMD FX 8150 processor - 16Gb RAM - 27" Monitor (it's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it)
    Alex McAllister
    Re: Unable to open audio playback device on some projects on Manchester 2016/02/01 09:38:48 (permalink)
    Thank you. Many of the tracks are frozen already (I use Izotope 2, which is very resource-hungry). And I don't see why projects that were playing successfully a day or two before  - with the same synths and effects - suddenly won't play. But others with very similar configurations do. And this happens exactly after Manchester, seems too coincidental to be coincidental.
    jackson white
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 283
    Re: Unable to open audio playback device on some projects on Manchester 2016/02/01 12:11:35 (permalink)
    Noting similar issues with a setup using a Roland Quad Capture. Seeing this message at times when switching out of Sonar to check a clip on either FB or YT as well as loading a project. Running Manchester, use it every day and haven't run into it yet but the same issue observed with earlier releases.  

I initially thought it might have something to do with different project sample rates but that does not appear to be a factor in your case. I have "Share Drivers with other Programs" checked in Preferences which opens up another possible issue. Might be worth checking the Roland settings before you start Sonar, just to make sure nothing else has "influenced" them. 

I've been able to load and run the projects after some combination of close/restart Sonar, reboot the PC. 

The Roland drivers are a more likely suspect. I've had to reinstall them several times, perhaps as a result of a Win 10 update or a less than robust driver design. 

--------------------
    Some pieces of wood with wires and bits of metal stuck in them, silicon and plastic
    Alex McAllister
    Re: Unable to open audio playback device on some projects on Manchester 2016/02/01 15:55:05 (permalink)
    Interesting. This sounds very plausible because over the last number of Sonar updates I've encountered similar issues...for a while Sonar would 'lose' the sound card if I played anything through Windows Media Player while it was running. On a different update it would simply not play certain projects randomly, but there was no error message and restarting Sonar fixed it.  I haven't checked the 'Share Drivers with Other Programs' setting but I sure will now. Thanks and I will also reinstall Octacapture drivers. 
    jackson white
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 283
    Re: Unable to open audio playback device on some projects on Manchester 2016/02/01 16:20:00 (permalink)
    If you;re not able to get the project running after;
    1) restarting Sonar,
    2) restarting your PC,
    then yes I would uninstall the Roland drivers and reinstall them. 

--------------------
    Some pieces of wood with wires and bits of metal stuck in them, silicon and plastic
    bradley
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Unable to open audio playback device on some projects on Manchester 2016/02/01 16:36:12 (permalink)
    Very similar issue here also after the Manchester update, many of which are the same.  After the update, no audio playback after recording a track.  On opening preferences to make sure my settings did not change, I closed out of preferences (without changing a thing) and everything was back to working.  Did this multiple times and the same thing happened until I opened "Preferences" and closed back out of the window. After a few more times of this, audio does not come back and have to restart Sonar. Nothing even makes any sense to this.  I did update the Melodyne and now get multiple crashes which is another thread but wonder if this also has something to it. I do want to add that NOTHING has been changed in any setting or updates to WINDOWS except for Manchester update.
    post edited by bradley - 2016/02/01 16:50:14
    tenfoot
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2186
    Re: Unable to open audio playback device on some projects on Manchester 2016/02/01 19:23:04 (permalink)
    What audio interface are you using Bradley?

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    bradley
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Unable to open audio playback device on some projects on Manchester 2016/02/01 19:40:03 (permalink)
    VS-100 ....Has worked flawlessly until after the update.  Recording playback does not work consistently on newer recorded tracks. Playback on previous tracks work 8-10 times before having to restart SPLAT.  Still happening tonight as I am trying to determine issue.  Thanks for the reply.
    markyzno
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1216
    Re: Unable to open audio playback device on some projects on Manchester 2016/02/02 01:56:49 (permalink)
    I had this.....

Check to see what else is using the drivers, in my case after going into the windows mixer I could see my MOTU card had a mix return device which was hogging the driver, now this previously worked and worked with other programs but Sonar didnt like it so I disabled it in device manager and got everything working.

If you go into control panel and sounds, select playback device and advanced and then try and change the format does windows warn you that its in use?

Sonar Platinum 64 bit > Pro tools 10.3.2 >Intel i7 3770K > 16Gb Ram > Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB > ATi RADEON HD5700 > 240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD> Win 10 home 64 bit> Delta 1010 > MOTU Audio Express > MA-15D's > NI Ultimate 9 > NI Kontrol S61 1.1 > NI MAschine Studio 2.3 / KORG MS-20 Mini - Arturia MicroBrute > KORG SQ1 - KORG Kaoss Pad KP3 > iPad and IO Dock 2 running various bits > Bunch of guitars >

Sound Design on IMDB --

Alex McAllister
    Re: Unable to open audio playback device on some projects on Manchester 2016/02/05 13:44:23 (permalink)
    Finally got some time to get back to this : turns out uninstalling and re-installing the Octacapture drivers did the trick. Thanks to everyone who commented.
    Alex McAllister
    Re: Unable to open audio playback device on some projects on Manchester 2016/02/08 16:52:08 (permalink)
    Turns out I was premature in my previous posting : the re-installation of the drivers worked for exactly one session after the process - the next day I received the same 'Unable to locate audio device' message on the identical handful of tracks that first exhibited the issue. As before, numerous tracks with very similar structures work fine, it seems entirely arbitrary.

I notice in reviewing posts going back for some time that the Octa Capture seems to have ongoing issues : can anyone out there recommend a reliable USB interface that can handle Sonar's constant updating and erratic behavior?      
    markyzno
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1216
    Re: Unable to open audio playback device on some projects on Manchester 2016/02/09 02:12:21 (permalink)
    If you go into control panel and sounds, select playback device and advanced and then try and change the format does windows warn you that its in use?

This will help define whether its an issue with Sonar or Windows.

Sonar Platinum 64 bit > Pro tools 10.3.2 >Intel i7 3770K > 16Gb Ram > Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB > ATi RADEON HD5700 > 240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD> Win 10 home 64 bit> Delta 1010 > MOTU Audio Express > MA-15D's > NI Ultimate 9 > NI Kontrol S61 1.1 > NI MAschine Studio 2.3 / KORG MS-20 Mini - Arturia MicroBrute > KORG SQ1 - KORG Kaoss Pad KP3 > iPad and IO Dock 2 running various bits > Bunch of guitars >

Sound Design on IMDB --

GARYTHEBRIDGE
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re: Unable to open audio playback device on some projects on Manchester 2016/02/09 05:09:43 (permalink)
    I have been experiencing the same issues for some time now. I have the VS-700 setup and I'm running Windows 10 64-bit (so had to apply the driver hack to get it working). The only way I can get the system to be stable is to use WDM drivers or ASIO4ALL.  

Gary

VStudio 700 - Sonar Platinum Producer
    Windows 10
    HP Pavilion 550
    Intel® Core™ i5-6400 2.7 GHz, up to 3.3 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores
    8GB RAM

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1