Helpful ReplyNot a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
kb420
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1839
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 04:07:22 (permalink)
skitch_84
tenfoot
kb420
and I still believe, that the majority of Sonar users don't really compose midi in Sonar.

I start every project and do most of my editing in midi and use Sonar all day every day -  I am reasonably certain I am not alone:) 

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Same here. I'm a video game music composer and 99% of my work is done using only MIDI (sample libraries, etc.). I use Sonar Platinum from beginning to end. :)

I didn't say that there weren't ANY users that compose midi in Sonar.  I just said that I believe that the majority don't really compose midi in Sonar. That Mark Twain quote doesn't apply here.  You can believe something and your entire belief system can be wrong.  Just as I may be wrong.  Honestly,  I don't KNOW for a fact that the majority of Sonar users aren't composing midi.  I just believe that to be the case based on the fact that there are other programs out there that are so much easier to work with.  Usually a companies success is based on how well it listens to the needs of it's users.  If midi composition were a big request for Cakewalk users,  then it's implementation would be a lot better.

I remember when destructive input quantize wasn't even a feature in Sonar,  and there were users who absolutely didn't want it added to Sonar. They all considered that to be something unimportant,  and they wanted the bakers to focus on other things.  I don't think it was added until Sonar 8.  

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
kb420
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 04:12:09 (permalink)
tenfoot
Sanderxpander
One thing I miss in Sonar that Logic does is nondestructive quantization. In Logic, you can select a recorded (i.e. "human timing") clip and apply for instance 16th swing quantization at 70 percent strength. You can set quantization strength for each clip and you can change it after the fact. In Sonar if I quantize at 70 percent strength and later realize the part needed to remain a bit more human, it's not so easy to fiddle with that number anymore. 

+1 for that Sanderxpander.

There is a way to do it in Sonar though. Rather than using the quantize function from the process menu, you can insert the Cakewalk quantize midi plugin into the tracks fx bin. That way you can go back and make any changes you like at any time.

The quantize midi effect has been in Sonar a lot longer than the input quantize feature.

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 04:17:28 (permalink)
Thanks I'll try using that instead. If it works well my feature request is mainly a matter of reorganization - put a wuantize midi effect on every clip by default (set to zero strength perhaps) and put some sliders in the PRV or imspector. Although, does the quantize midi effect actually visibly move the notes? Sometimes that's quite helpful. 
Kylotan
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 995
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 04:32:06 (permalink)
kb420
1.  The Piano Roll View.  It may just be a personal choice,  but I'll take Live, Studio One,  and Maschine's Piano Roll View over Sonar's any day of the week.  All 3 of them seem to be so much more responsive and easier to make edits on.  There's never any hidden muted notes.  No guessing about which parameter you may or may not be editing when you attempt to select a note.  Nudging notes,  and manipulating the grid on all three are incredibly easy when you compare it to Sonar.

Piano Roll is mostly working okay for me these days, but I've lost count of the number of times when I've lasso-selected a bunch of notes and some other notes, completely outside the lasso, got selected too. Or I nudged some notes over, only to have other nearby notes get deleted. That's not to mention basic usability issues like not showing clip boundaries.

2.  Non Linear Midi Composition.  Sonar does have a groove matrix,  so this may not be as much of an issue,  but I've never dug in to it much.  I doubt it's as flexible as Live's Session View.

In my experience, Matrix View barely works. Once I upgraded Sonar to get access to Matrix View, hoping it would help with my non-linear composition problems, just to be frustrated by the number of glitches and problems with it - some soft synths would never play at all, some audio clips played wrongly (because they were slip edited, I think), etc. Basically useless. And judging by the last few years, that experiment has been quietly abandoned since I don't recall seeing any fixes for it.

If you take a look at Studio One,  which is primarily a linear sequencer,  you still have a super flexible way of recording midi when you consider the Arranger Track and the Scratch Pad.  With the Arranger Track,  you can actually treat whole sections of a song like patterns in a hardware sequencer and string them together any way you want to on a Scratch Pad.  The Arranger Track and the Scratch Pad are new to Studio One 3,  and they are what really gained my attention.

This is where I'll be spending my money next time around. Ableton is probably not quite right for me, being biased towards electronic music and MIDI-first composition, but Studio One strikes a good balance.

3.  Take Lanes.  I absolutely hate this for midi loop recording,  and nothing else I've ever used has anything like them.  You can't truly disable it. No matter what you do,  you always can tell that they are there in your arrangement window unless you comp them all.  It just seems like it's extra work for no reason.  I can understand the usefulness of Take Lanes when recording audio from a musician,  but I just wish you could completely disable it when working with midi,  especially midi loop recording.

Here's what really annoys me:
  • If I want to record kick drums, then go back and layer on hi-hats or whatever... 2 takes. I have to bounce them to clips, then trim the clips, etc. I have to work to stick the clips together.
  • If I want to edit a new drum pattern in the measure after some existing one... Sonar will sometimes just arbitrarily decide that I'm extending the previous clip and add my new drums to the old clip. This is ABSOLUTELY INFURIATING when that clip has 15 linked copies elsewhere in the song, all of which now overlap with the clip that comes after them, and now I have to perform some convoluted combination of copy/paste/split/undo/lock/whatever to get the old clips back to how things were without losing the work I just did in the new clips.

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 08:55:17 (permalink)
If someone wishes to use Ableton or Cubase or (insert non-Sonar DAW here) then good luck to you. I think you will find that that the grass is not always greener. Each has their own unique set of weeds, bugs and holes.

Personally, I cut my second set of teeth on Cakewalk so it makes more sense to me than others I have used. I will say that the PRV was one of the first tools I would go to but with all the new features and hot zones and the like, I find myself more frustrated with it and, if possible, I try to avoid it now.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
kb420
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 09:11:07 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
Thanks I'll try using that instead. If it works well my feature request is mainly a matter of reorganization - put a wuantize midi effect on every clip by default (set to zero strength perhaps) and put some sliders in the PRV or imspector. Although, does the quantize midi effect actually visibly move the notes? Sometimes that's quite helpful. 

It doesn't visibly move the notes.  You will see the notes exactly how you played them,  but you will hear them quantized.  

-Craig Anderton-
Sanderxpander
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 09:57:10 (permalink)
In that case I would still prefer the Logic way :p
Still, it's a good tip and I'll try it out!

As far as midi take lanes go, I actually like these, but mostly because of another thing that we can't do in Sonar but can in Logic - mute specific midi notes. Recording first a kick and then a hats part leaves me with the option to quickly mute on or the other. In Logic, I'd just select whichever notes I want to mute. 
KPerry
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3120
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 10:26:07 (permalink)
You can do the mute like that with a drum map.
Sanderxpander
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 10:51:29 (permalink)
I can only mute "all" notes on a kitpiece, right? 
KPerry
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 11:09:14 (permalink)
I thought that's what you wanted, no?  Otherwise, you can mute individual notes in the PRV now (mute tool).
Sanderxpander
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 11:23:14 (permalink)
I will look again before commenting more :) 
Always good to learn something new, thanks. 
KPerry
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 11:49:03 (permalink)
And I thought there was a key press/mouse combination to mute notes, but I can't work it out right now (and don't have time to dig through the help files).

The old (SONAR 8.x) configurable tool definitely did allow you to set up key+mouse to mute a note (and the configurable options were so good - really want them back).
djserg
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 11:52:50 (permalink)
THANKS MATT!!!

I also would love to see some midi enhancements in Sonar. (And I'm an audio guy). I feel that midi in Sonar is good but not great. It's gotten better and I'm very encouraged that the good guys at CW are making improvements to the PRV. But we need more. Other DAWs are excelling in this field. Cubase is a great model to follow.

I'll post some recommendations in the proper forum.

Sanderxpander
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 13:04:17 (permalink)
KPerry
And I thought there was a key press/mouse combination to mute notes, but I can't work it out right now (and don't have time to dig through the help files).

The old (SONAR 8.x) configurable tool definitely did allow you to set up key+mouse to mute a note (and the configurable options were so good - really want them back).

<p>I will look again before commenting more :)&nbsp;</p> <p>Always good to learn something new, thanks.&nbsp;</p>

Honestly I don't even remember if I even looked for a mute tool. I mostly use the smart tool and the regular mute hotkey (k)  did nothing. I'll look tomorrow. 
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 13:07:58 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
Honestly I don't even remember if I even looked for a mute tool.

It's under the Erase tool in the control bar (to save you hunting for it like I had to).

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Klaus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 320
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 13:47:14 (permalink)
FWIW, to mute a note in PRV using the smart tool: ALT + right click.

SONAR Platinum 
RME HDSPe AIO - Windows 10 64bit - Intel i7 2600K - 16 GB RAM

Sanderxpander
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 14:05:38 (permalink)
This thread is starting to prove immensely useful haha :) 

Another one then - I wish there was a better visual indication in PRV of which clip I'm editing. To be honest when I open a clip in PRV I expect to see only that clip. Instead, I see basically all midi on the track. 
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 17:49:39 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
This thread is starting to prove immensely useful haha :) 

Another one then - I wish there was a better visual indication in PRV of which clip I'm editing. To be honest when I open a clip in PRV I expect to see only that clip. Instead, I see basically all midi on the track. 

I've been surprised in the other direction.  Add notes to a clip I just opened and they go into another newly created clip with empty space between the two clips.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 21:02:26 (permalink)
Sanderxpander

That would all certainly be great Sanderxpander. Unfortunately  the notes do not move when using the quantize plugin which I too think would be very useful.  

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/10 03:56:19 (permalink)
tenfoot
Sanderxpander

That would all certainly be great Sanderxpander. Unfortunately  the notes do not move when using the quantize plugin which I too think would be very useful. 

General MIDI plug-ins do unpredictable from Sonar perspective changes. In general, they can generate different result every time they run (like some Synth do, there was long thread about it and the result was patch points feature in Sonar). And so, in general it is not possible to show what some effect produce till it is applied. And every time it is applies, the result can be different. If they try to show that in PRV, every time you modify some note they re-render effect for the whole clip and you see all notes are changes. Can that be helpful? I do not think so. The only possible solution I can imagine is "freezing clip" with all local effects applied, so it function like "bounce" but with possibility to unfreeze and tune parameters/modify notes. But I guess that is not exactly what you want.

Another possibility is to introduce dedicated set of MIDI effects, so there behavior is known (for example they always produce the same output for any particular note). That can do the trick. Unfortunately what is going to happened we can see in audio "filters", introduced in Sonar long time ago. At some point they was converted to ProChannel. And while the effect on audio is exactly the same as from normal Audio FX, thanks to "very special" logic that part is quite buggy from many perspectives...

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/10 11:10:54 (permalink)
MIDI wish list - but before I do I should mention that I can get by with Sonar, I've tried most if not all of the other DAWs, and it causes me the fewest headaches, which is something I guess<G>. Cubase is a step or two ahead of the pack for MIDI, but dang, the rest of it makes my head explode! I am anxiously awaiting some rumored improvements in MIDI for Studio One V3, we'll see...

and now...

1) better drawing tools in the PRV controller pane - the only way I can get decent curves for continuous controllers is to 'play' them in - which I guess is not all bad, but for tweaks it would be nice to have better drawing tools.

2) dedicated pane - or maybe there is even a better way - to control articulations. What I'd like, and I can do this to a degree with drum maps - so maybe that's the starting point - is the ability to send CC messages from widgets, so there could be buttons along the left vertical axis, and they would send the necessary message. This has a couple of benefits - CCs can be chased, key switches can't, and CCs won't mess up the notation, key switches do, just for starters. There are still some libraries and VSTs that don't let you choose how you select articulations, so a means to translate CC to key switch, and vica-versa, would have to be a component of this tool.

This can be extended to all VST Instruments, while master.ins does allow you to create patch maps, managing them is non-trivial. When the world was filled with external hardware synths it was understandable (although MIDI Quest did make it a lot easier), but these days most of my synths are plug-ins, and I can't believe there  is no way to query them!

3) any to any routing, both destructive and non-destructive. For those with a little gray in their hair I'm thinking about the model used in Bars&Pipes (an Amiga sequencer).

4) bring back CAL support, or find a new scripting language - no matter how many MFX tools are developed there will always be something else someone needs. Even better, create hooks for Max, PD, Bidule, or even LUA? We know this works because SoundQuest did it with Infinity. Bidule lets you do this now, but it is clumsy - or perhaps I'm missing something, or maybe it is just the limited routing?

I guess you could also ask for something akin to "Expression Maps" - but try as I might (admittedly using a demo version) I've just not found them to be all that useful. I did get a chance to play with SkiSwitcher2 in Logic recently, and that is another potential avenue... maybe?

If I were to distill this down to functions instead of features:
1)  the ability to draw periodic and arbitrary curves
2) the ability to manage articulations and patches
3) any-to-any routing
4) support to special functions or processors

Sonar is  deep (pun unavoidable), so it could well be that I am missing things, and that we can already do all these things. If so please feel free to make me feel silly!!

Thanks

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Sanderxpander
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/10 11:58:22 (permalink)
azslow3
tenfoot
Sanderxpander

General MIDI plug-ins do unpredictable from Sonar perspective changes. In general, they can generate different result every time they run (like some Synth do, there was long thread about it and the result was patch points feature in Sonar). And so, in general it is not possible to show what some effect produce till it is applied. And every time it is applies, the result can be different. If they try to show that in PRV, every time you modify some note they re-render effect for the whole clip and you see all notes are changes. Can that be helpful? I do not think so. The only possible solution I can imagine is "freezing clip" with all local effects applied, so it function like "bounce" but with possibility to unfreeze and tune parameters/modify notes. But I guess that is not exactly what you want.

Another possibility is to introduce dedicated set of MIDI effects, so there behavior is known (for example they always produce the same output for any particular note). That can do the trick. Unfortunately what is going to happened we can see in audio "filters", introduced in Sonar long time ago. At some point they was converted to ProChannel. And while the effect on audio is exactly the same as from normal Audio FX, thanks to "very special" logic that part is quite buggy from many perspectives...

Well I was talking about quantize specifically. Unless you use a random element there, the result should be the same every time. I don't know if you've ever seen how Logic does this but it's really elegant. Basically it works like a combination between Sonar's quantize plugin and the actual quantize function - anything you do is instantly visible but it's entirely nondestructive. 
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/10 15:45:38 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
Well I was talking about quantize specifically. Unless you use a random element there, the result should be the same every time. I don't know if you've ever seen how Logic does this but it's really elegant. Basically it works like a combination between Sonar's quantize plugin and the actual quantize function - anything you do is instantly visible but it's entirely nondestructive.

Sorry, I am noob in DAWs world. I have not seen anything apart from Sonar. I have tried some trials but deleted them within an hour.

wst3
4) bring back CAL support, or find a new scripting language - no matter how many MFX tools are developed there will always be something else someone needs. Even better, create hooks for Max, PD, Bidule, or even LUA? We know this works because SoundQuest did it with Infinity. Bidule lets you do this now, but it is clumsy - or perhaps I'm missing something, or maybe it is just the limited routing?

As an ordinary user I have no control over CAL. But I was thinking about binding some scripting language with MFX. LUA looks reasonable (I have just visited there site for the first time). Do you have an interest in such project? I mean at least one "beta tester" is good to have to not feel myself lonely... As my other tools that is going to be free to use.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/10 16:15:22 (permalink)
azslow3
As an ordinary user I have no control over CAL. But I was thinking about binding some scripting language with MFX. LUA looks reasonable (I have just visited there site for the first time). Do you have an interest in such project? I mean at least one "beta tester" is good to have to not feel myself lonely... As my other tools that is going to be free to use.

Absolutely - sign me up! And while I haven't done a lot of programming in the last few years, I did spend considerable time as a C programmer, and still tinker in PERL and LUA from time to time.

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
icontakt
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4266
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/11 07:20:48 (permalink)
kb420
Why do I have to mention 3 weaknesses?  Who said that?  Was that suppose to be a prerequisite for posting on this thread?  Did I miss something?  Oh well, These are just my personal grievances but here goes:

Hi, I'm sorry that I couldn't reply sooner. I became extremely busy after my last post.

You said that Sonar is absolutely the worst when it comes to MIDI, and I thought that just one or two problems can't make it the worst and said you need to cite at three weaknesses. Only saying that it's the worst and needs to get better without giving some examples (this also applies to the OP) probably doesn't help CW determine what areas of MIDI to improve.

You might think that they should check the Feature & Request forum and read various MIDI-related requests posted there. I'll make it easy and list the current top 5 rated MIDI-related requests below. (To see the the ranking of FRs sorted by number of ratings in descending order, go to the F&I forum, select "From the beginning" from the Time Filter drop-down at the bottom, click "Filter" at the top of the threads and select "Rating DESC" under Order By). I excluded a request titled "Staff View - Fix The Bugs," because it's a request for bug fixes, not a feature request.

#1 An arrange window
http://forum.cakewalk.com/An-arrange-window-m3104937.aspx

#2 Staff View - Triplet handling
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Staff-View-Triplet-handling-m3152863.aspx

#3 A feature for those that write string arrangements (MIDI note chase)
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Features-Ideas-f76.aspx

#4 Chord Track for Sonar Platinum
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Chord-Track-for-Sonar-Platinum-m3160700.aspx

#5 Staff View - note duration icons
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Staff-View-note-duration-icons-m3152971.aspx

Among these, the only request that is similar (if not same) to what you mentioned in your three examples, if I'm not mistaken, is #1 (btw, the only feature I really want among these 5 is #3). PRV and Take lanes are not there. So, you can see that it's better to state what exactly you want to see improved and why when you post in a thread like this. From my experience, I can say that discussions, including begging, criticizing, etc. in this main forum is more effective in changing the Bakers' mind than just posting feature requests in the F&I forum and receiving several votes (if you're lucky).

I appreciate that you posted the three examples, CW now know what you really want. I have some other comments to make about things said in this thread, but I'll post them when I have more time.

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
mdages
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 139
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/11 11:43:17 (permalink)
+1 for making midi better
I don't think that Sonar's MIDI implementation is bad. There are some really nice and good things and some not so good one. But overall, it has many room for improvements. I have the feel, that MIDI is in product development of Sonar the most neglected.
As an orchestral based music composer for film I need a lot of midi and virtual instrument handling. I would like to see some really fundamental new features that makes the work with virtual instrument, especially with sample libraries, much easier. Something like Steinberg's VST-Expression, but much bettet, would be something on the top of my wish list.
But also some simple things could make life easier. For example, writing the note value into the bars of the prv could improve the overview and handling of notes. I don't think this is very complicated to do and I saw such feature requests years ago.
I don't think it's necessary to collect all the feature requests here. The most important part is our wish of better MIDI implementation to Sonar. So let's go bakers...

-Markus

music is just a sequence of sounds...
Sonar Platinum -> R.I.P (Shame on Gibson)
Cubase Pro 9.5
Windows 10 x64 German
Core i7, 12GB RAM - 5 TB HDD/SSD
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24
Studiologic Acuna 88
VSL VE-Pro with windows slave computers
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/11 12:50:22 (permalink)
williamcopper
Maybe other than getting everything to do with midi entry and editing fast, what I'd really love is a Sonar on a diet, get rid of all the crap that needs to be turned off in order to get work done, while keeping the mini-bar available for those who want to indulge optionally.   Do I really want an "amp-simulator" in every project (part of prochannel)?  No, it's absurd.     Do I want to dial in how much grunge to add to every project?  No.  Make it optional, exceptional.   Do I want a "tube", whatever that is, on every track?  Hell no.   Do I want a line in the PRV for every controller on every midi channel on every track?   NO NO NO.    I can appreciate that some people do want some of these things, but Let .  Them . Be . Optional !!....

Except for the PRV, I use none of the components you mention.   You can customize (streamline) Sonar quite a bit, save as a template and start every project from that. 

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
Gone!!
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 797
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/11 17:04:36 (permalink)
Kylotan

If you take a look at Studio One,  which is primarily a linear sequencer,  you still have a super flexible way of recording midi when you consider the Arranger Track and the Scratch Pad.  With the Arranger Track,  you can actually treat whole sections of a song like patterns in a hardware sequencer and string them together any way you want to on a Scratch Pad.  The Arranger Track and the Scratch Pad are new to Studio One 3,  and they are what really gained my attention.

This is where I'll be spending my money next time around. Ableton is probably not quite right for me, being biased towards electronic music and MIDI-first composition, but Studio One strikes a good balance.

I doubt you will regret that move, I never have, (the only regret you may have is that you never did it sooner) never looked back really (checked in every now and then over the last 6 months or so, but have uninstalled everything Sonar now), and don't miss a thing.

Now to switch off these damnable forum and thread subscriptions.
Snehankur
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 507
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/12 01:26:39 (permalink)
Feature Request - MIDI Patch Point ?  Or a MIDI-HUB ? [January 08]
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3348419

Arpeggiator pattern - loading new [December 20]
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3337784

Chord Track - Pattern Insert - Populate to MIDI [September 01]
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3280492
exrove
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/12 01:48:06 (permalink)
+ 1 for midi improvements
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1