[SOLVED] Komplete Kontrol and non NKS Kontakt Libraries.

Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
2016/02/09 09:11:03 (permalink)

[SOLVED] Komplete Kontrol and non NKS Kontakt Libraries.

I have started a thread on the NI forums but thought I would ask here as well.

I am loving my new S61 and for the most part I am getting up to speed with the new features, both in Komplete Kontrol and MIDI mode.

This thread was very helpful in helping to understand making custom templates for non NKS VSTis. One think I have not been able to figure out is how to assign encoders to parameters in non NKS Kontakt libraries in Komplete Kontrol. The method used for VSTis does not seem to work and knobs on the GIU do net respond to MIDI learn. Can encoder asignments be made for non NKS libraries, if so how?

So far the only workaround I can see is to use the keyboard in MIDI mode and use MIDI learn.This introduces a big downside as the light guide no longer automatically matches keyboard zones. Yes, I can make templates in Controler Editor with zones mapped for various libraries but that's far less convenient.

This is the only real sticking point I have now with Komplete Kontrol.

Sometimes you need to make a decision if it’s best to use Komplete Kontrol or MIDI mode. MIDI mode seems best for EastWest Play for example as many patches have extensive keyswitches and as a non NKS VSTi keyswitches cannot be mapped to the light guide so I have started making templates in Controller Editor. I am hoping however that this will not be necessary for non NKS Kontakt libraries.

Related threads on the Hardware forum. I have posted here because its more of a software issue as far as I can see.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3342836
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Anyone-here-using-Komplete-Kontrol-with-one-of-NIs-keyboards-m3307113.aspx

post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2016/02/09 15:34:18

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud

1 Reply Related Threads

Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: Komplete Kontrol and non NKS Kontakt Libraries. 2016/02/09 11:58:00 (permalink)
     Trust me to post a few seconds before cclarry burried it beneath a zillion update announcments.

Anyway b-righetous on the NI forum camd back with an answer.

The parameter assignments are using VST host automation parameters.  Kontakt does not have anything assigned to host parameter IDs by default.  You have to open the Kontakt GUI and assign a knob to a host automation ID.  You do this by opening the automation tab in the upper left and dragging a knob to an ID.  Now it will appear as a parameter in KK.

This works. It has to be done for every NKI. Sometimes the parameter names are very cryptic but it seems like edit the display name in Komplete Kontrol, however something seems to be flakey with the renaming, its probably user error though.

I have started to get Indiginus Renegade done, in this case the parameter names seem quite sensible. For example the knob I have assigned to the pickup switch is labled PickupSw. I really like the way this text is displayed below the encoder on the Keyboard.

Oh - And I had better remember to backup the original NKIs before I mess with them!

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1