I wonder if my 2i4 reversed my chanels L R ? or is it just my headphones ?

Author
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
2016/02/09 20:37:53 (permalink)

I wonder if my 2i4 reversed my chanels L R ? or is it just my headphones ?

Hi guys , this one has been bugging me for a while , so I need a reality check  ..

I spent most of my time using headphones ...( thank you apt living ) The current set of cans I use are ATH-M30 ..
For an audio interface ( I'm not restricted to using this only) , most of the time I use a Focusrite 2i4 ...

The headphones have a Left Right label and the left side has the cord coming out of it ...
Out of habit that is usually how I wear them ...

The times I have plugged in my studio monitors ...everything sound wise is reversed in the stereo field ...
FWIW, I have made sure that I have connected everything correctly ...

After installing Mixbus 3.1.66 I did a little experiment ....
I used Mixbus 3 because it has an excellent monitoring section where I can solo Left Right  , mute , + Dim at -12 Db or any other setting I want to set independently within the L R  ...the short story is ....I love the monitoring section in that program ...

Sure enough everything I heard through my cans was reversed ...

Oh well , I always wondered why I liked my mixes better when I flipped the cans after I mixed on my studio  monitors  ..

Yeah I know there's a few people around here that think it's gonna take a whole hell of a lot more than that before they think my mixes sound good ...for those of you ...you better watch out ....
I may decided to just drag my sorry A$$ into a real recording studio and pay somebody to just do it right .......
BTW, that's not a threat ....it just may turn out to be my last hope if I want to keep any level of my self dignity intact ...  lol

anyway kind folks , thank you for letting me share .

Oh , Has this ever happened to any of you ?

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2016/02/09 20:48:45

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

9 Replies Related Threads

batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: I wonder if my 2i4 reversed my chanels L R ? or is it just my headphones ? 2016/02/09 20:53:53 (permalink)
    or maybe your dyslexic?!

just a shot in the dark here...

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

kennywtelejazz
    Re: I wonder if my 2i4 reversed my chanels L R ? or is it just my headphones ? 2016/02/09 21:26:26 (permalink)
    batsbrew
    or maybe your dyslexic?!

just a shot in the dark here...

Hi Gonzo , Good call
    When I went back to college after a 20 year vacation away from school I had a really good English professor ...
    He helped me out after class all the time because I needed his help and he was just a good person in general ..
    He thought I may be dyslexic so he ran some informal tests and things by me ...
    Sure enough he was the first person in my life to have brought up the idea too me that I may be dyslexic ...
    FWIW , I'm OK with it ...I actually consider it to be an asset when it comes to my Music 
    (  writing posts or English ...YIKES ...lol )
    Every thing I can play forwards on the guitar I can play backwards w out any effort  , Also the same goes for inverting changes and harmonic variations ....don't even have to think twice ...strange thing ..it's my secret " Super Power " ? ....no more

nice talking w you ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: I wonder if my 2i4 reversed my chanels L R ? or is it just my headphones ? 2016/02/10 10:53:40 (permalink)
    wifey is dyslexic.
    i didn't know much about it, until after we hooked up...

i think i've known quite a few in my lifetime,
    that were either non-diagnosed,
    or mis-diagnosed.

they are much better at finding/treating/training now,
    then they were when we were growing up.

Alexander Graham Bell.
    Pierre Curie
    Thomas Edison.
    Albert Einstein.
    John Lennon.

all dyslexic.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

kennywtelejazz
    Re: I wonder if my 2i4 reversed my chanels L R ? or is it just my headphones ? 2016/02/11 00:41:37 (permalink)
    batsbrew
    wifey is dyslexic.
    i didn't know much about it, until after we hooked up...

i think i've known quite a few in my lifetime,
    that were either non-diagnosed,
    or mis-diagnosed.

they are much better at finding/treating/training now,
    then they were when we were growing up.

Alexander Graham Bell.
    Pierre Curie
    Thomas Edison.
    Albert Einstein.
    John Lennon.

all dyslexic.

Hi Gonzo , that is some interesting information you have just shared
    I may still be having a hardware issue , yet I'm enjoying what we are talking about more ...

Yeah I think I may need to find out more about it ..I always thought that some of my communication signals and ideas would be somewhat clear as concepts and ideas , yet they would not come to me in order ...
    Sort of like a song that has all its parts ..they may all be good , yet they need to be rearranged to make sense to somebody other than myself ...

The wifey is dyslexic .. it certainly sounds like you have stood in her corner and gave her your full support
    It is clear to me that you have done your homework and that you know a lot about what being a dyslexic means ..
    Your dialog here has actually inspired me to make a commitment to learn more about this topic ...
    Yeah , I found out late in life and I haven't recently sought help for it specifically ...some of the other things I'm dealing with may have overlapped in a positive way ....
    I have been working very diligently on some other issues for a number of years  and for a long time the professional I'm working with has been urging and encouraging me to get better at my coping skills ...
    I may bring this to the table and see what we can do about incorporating a workable plan for me to follow ..

WOW , impressive list of creative people that were dyslexic ...a couple of my all time favorites are on it ...
    I know this may sound odd , I have always enjoyed reading Einsteins books & writings ...
    Speaking logically he is way over my head and I may not be able to understand that side of his concepts ..
    On the creative side / imagination I took to Einstein like a duck takes to water ...
    Something about his creativity has resounded very deep within me ...I may have only experienced it on a small level 
    I t could be a sympathetic vibration I may have picked up ...like a piano that hits a note and an instrument sitting on a stand that is in tune to it starts resonating the note ....either way that dude was deep ...

nice talking with you ,

Kenny       

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: I wonder if my 2i4 reversed my chanels L R ? or is it just my headphones ? 2016/02/11 12:07:51 (permalink)
    I guess it's possible they wired the headphones incorrectly.  I have a pair of ATH-20mfs and ATH-m40x and I can say with certainty that mine are not wired backwards.

if you open sonar and just insert a mono track, what happens when you pan that track left and right in sonar?  does it follow the left/right or does it do the opposite?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    Re: I wonder if my 2i4 reversed my chanels L R ? or is it just my headphones ? 2016/02/11 17:00:26 (permalink)
    Could be worse; they could have inverted the polarity on one side.

W10 pro, Sonar Platinum, Alesis Multimix 16 FW, MOTU Express 128, Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, i7 8700K, 16 Gigs, ssd + 2 X 2T disks, D50-MEX, JV80, A90EX, M1REX
    kennywtelejazz
    Re: I wonder if my 2i4 reversed my chanels L R ? or is it just my headphones ? 2016/02/12 01:17:02 (permalink)
    Beagle
    I guess it's possible they wired the headphones incorrectly.  I have a pair of ATH-20mfs and ATH-m40x and I can say with certainty that mine are not wired backwards.

if you open sonar and just insert a mono track, what happens when you pan that track left and right in sonar?  does it follow the left/right or does it do the opposite?

Hello Reece ,
    OK , i opened SONAR placed a mono track  hit record and played some guitar .
    As headphone only everything went to where it was supposed to ..right went to right left went to left ...
    Then I hooked up my monitors , reversed them from how I used to run them and said I'm done with this whole thing
    thank you for helping me out ....

bvideo
    Could be worse; they could have inverted the polarity on one side.

how true

thanks all ,

signed your dyslexic bud ,

ynneK reverse in things hear I
    post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2016/02/12 01:51:45

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: I wonder if my 2i4 reversed my chanels L R ? or is it just my headphones ? 2016/02/12 07:05:14 (permalink)
    kennywtelejazz

I have always enjoyed reading Einsteins books & writings ...
    Speaking logically he is way over my head and I may not be able to understand that side of his concepts ..
    On the creative side / imagination I took to Einstein like a duck takes to water ...
    Something about his creativity has resounded very deep within me ...I may have only experienced it on a small level 
    I t could be a sympathetic vibration I may have picked up ...like a piano that hits a note and an instrument sitting on a stand that is in tune to it starts resonating the note ....either way that dude was deep ...

Sorry to push this thread further off the rails.. but it's very apt that you should mention Einstein - I must admit, I don't fully understand all of this, but the fact that he predicted it so many years ago, is quite astonishing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news...e-environment-35553549

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    kennywtelejazz
    Re: I wonder if my 2i4 reversed my chanels L R ? or is it just my headphones ? 2016/02/12 12:21:05 (permalink)
    jamesg1213
    kennywtelejazz

I have always enjoyed reading Einsteins books & writings ...

Sorry to push this thread further off the rails.. but it's very apt that you should mention Einstein - I must admit, I don't fully understand all of this, but the fact that he predicted it so many years ago, is quite astonishing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news...e-environment-35553549

Hi James , WOW , I'm glad you posted that info ...

I'm very interested in that sort of thing whether I fully understand it or not 
    Yep, now all the heavy duty minds of today are playing catch up with Einstein ...
    Say , The Observatory at Hanford is aprox ..226 miles from where I live  YAY...lol

When I was in Jr High they wanted to pull me out of regular school and send me to a science  academy ...as we all know I went in a different direction...

Yeah Einstein man whew ...in addition to his intellect he had some very profound powers as a human being ...
    A lot of people don't realize that he balanced out his powerful intellect with contemplation , meditation and giving his imagination full access to roam and imagine freely w out limitation 
    He tapped into and understood that the natural state of man could be altered dramatically  by doing very simple exercises while using the mind to conduct them ...that is one of the things I respect the most about him ...
    also it is probably the one small thing I understand a little bit about ... the math and physics go right over my head .

My brush with that type of mental concept took place In the late 70's when I took part in an experiment with DR William Schimell ..
    DR William Schimell guided me and one other person in this experiment .
    He taught us both how to achieve an Alpha Wave state of consciousness at will ..
    While we were in this Alpha Wave state of consciousness  he taught us both the whole 4 year curriculum of the Julliard School of Music in less than 4 months ...( did it stick ? hhmmmm I don't know ..yet honestly ,when I pick up my guitar to play it just flows on it's own )
    My biological trigger consisted as the exact same way I hold my guitar pick ....which is not conventional BTW...
    People may or not believe me ...if they do fine ...if they don't... I don't care ....I know what I was taught ..
    I know the proper use of the mind is the gateway to full creativity and expression ...
    Once the mind is trained and can be relied upon , the heart can follow
    Incidentally there was a reason why I used that bio trigger ...
    It allows me to open myself up to what I was taught and conditioned to do when I remember to allow the creativity that is seeking expression to flow effortlessly with out my intellect hindering it  ...I do this because when I think about playing the guitar while I'm playing it ....I'm in deep $hit 

nice talking with you ,

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2016/02/12 12:42:00

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1