Helpful ReplyMovies that are better than the book

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
Re: Movies that are better than the book 2016/01/30 21:48:42 (permalink)
I love Kozinski, but Sellers did indeed save the film. I also agree that your talents may be wasted in today's market. It's hard to find good film reviews. 

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Movies that are better than the book 2016/02/02 09:54:44 (permalink)
mcourter
I love Kozinski, but Sellers did indeed save the film. I also agree that your talents may be wasted in today's market. It's hard to find good film reviews. 

Not so much good reviews, as any reviews that are not simply kissing the ash of the huge companies and conglomerates that are making sure they can get your dollar. Smaller companies and films don't stand a chance and have to live by word of mouth, and doing that here in the Coffee House, is sometimes sad ... in that only a handful of folks actually are willing/able to discuss films ... it's always back to their favorite song ... and I tend to compare the arts a bit, which some do not understand how I can do that.

Kinda sad that after my postings, from my reviews, no one else posted anything ... or have anything to say! Weird!

One where the book was better than the film ... "Steppenwolf", which was a great film, with cartoons for the philosophical parts, but the film got very strange and I think distorted the magic theater! Still an interesting film though.
post edited by Moshkito - 2016/02/02 10:13:09

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Movies that are better than the book 2016/02/02 12:35:49 (permalink)
For unbiased reviews I recommend Mark Kermode. You can find his channel on YouTube. He pulls no punches, and has plenty of time for independent, foreign and low budget movies.

His top 10 movies of 2015 (released in UK cinemas);

1) Inside Out
2) A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
3) Girlhood
4) Carol
5) The Falling
6) The Song of The Sea
7) Brooklyn
8) Sunset Song
9) The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson
10) The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Seen any of those Pedro?
post edited by jamesg1213 - 2016/02/02 13:20:31

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Moshkito
Re: Movies that are better than the book 2016/02/03 09:23:04 (permalink)
jamesg1213
For unbiased reviews I recommend Mark Kermode. You can find his channel on YouTube. He pulls no punches, and has plenty of time for independent, foreign and low budget movies.

His top 10 movies of 2015 (released in UK cinemas);

1) Inside Out
2) A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
3) Girlhood
4) Carol
5) The Falling
6) The Song of The Sea
7) Brooklyn
8) Sunset Song
9) The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson
10) The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Seen any of those Pedro?

Haven't, but will check out some of these for sure. How about you?

I think two of these were at Sundance. The hard part of a list like this, is that you can see most of these in London, NY, and Paris, but not likely to see it in Podunk, Arizona, or Portland, Oregon!

Btw, "unbiased" reviews? ... what's the point of a review/opinion, then?
post edited by Moshkito - 2016/02/03 09:36:53

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Movies that are better than the book 2016/02/03 09:59:35 (permalink)
Seen the Wilko Johnson film and 'The Song of The Sea', both very good indeed.  'The Tale of Princess Kaguya' is from Studio Ghibli who did 'Spirited Away' and 'Howl's Moving Castle' etc, love their stuff, so I'd like to see that.

By 'unbiased' I mean Kermode has no links to any film company or sponsor so he doesn't give out praise where it's not due. He can be pretty brutal, check out his 'worst films of 2015'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m0DtvIh4uo

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Moshkito
Re: Movies that are better than the book 2016/02/03 10:05:16 (permalink)
jamesg1213
Seen the Wilko Johnson film and 'The Song of The Sea', both very good indeed.  'The Tale of Princess Kaguya' is from Studio Ghibli who did 'Spirited Away' and 'Howl's Moving Castle' etc, love their stuff, so I'd like to see that.

I have a set of DVD's of Ghibli stuff that my brother gave me ... I could not figure out if he didn't like them, or had out grown them with his academic professorship stuff.

jamesg1213
By 'unbiased' I mean Kermode has no links to any film company or sponsor so he doesn't give out praise where it's not due. He can be pretty brutal, check out his 'worst films of 2015'

I refuse to link to any company, and to get the free tickets here to see the top ten, there is an agreement in paper that says that they company will provide tickets to its previews as long as we help sell the tickets to ensure the company can continue doing well.

I knew what it meant!

Ciao baby ... I'm a writer, and I can not write what I don't see, and for me, a lot of the popular faire, is just that ... here have a chocolate bar, but give me the $15 bux.

mcourter
Re: Movies that are better than the book 2016/02/05 22:57:28 (permalink)
Any review reveals a bias, nothing wrong with that. What I find discouraging is when the review is more about the reviewer than the film. I'll use the LA weekly rag as an example. Their reviewers are more concerned with demonstrating how smart they are than about the actual film. The review as an excuse to namedrop. Bad example to use, the LA Weekly being very low journalism

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Movies that are better than the book 2016/02/06 00:20:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby craigb 2016/02/06 04:21:50
'Muppets go to Hollywood'. The book was terrible, not very much content or direction and attempted to win over the reader with gimmicks such as pop up pictures. I think the film came first in this instance though, and was a masterpiece setting a whole new tone in musical comedy themed puppet road movies.

Moshkito
Re: Movies that are better than the book 2016/02/06 10:43:19 (permalink)
mcourter
Any review reveals a bias, nothing wrong with that. What I find discouraging is when the review is more about the reviewer than the film. I'll use the LA weekly rag as an example. Their reviewers are more concerned with demonstrating how smart they are than about the actual film. The review as an excuse to namedrop. Bad example to use, the LA Weekly being very low journalism

Gadsssss ... in the old days Robert Hilburn wasn't any better at the LA Times! He did like the oddest things!!!

post edited by Moshkito - 2016/02/06 11:28:43

mcourter
Re: Movies that are better than the book 2016/02/09 23:27:10 (permalink)
Hilburn was a notorious namedropper, whether movies or music

Unbridled Enthusiasm
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1