Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years..

Author
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
2016/02/10 05:06:32 (permalink)

Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years..

Hey Guys ,

I'm so happy to have this story to tell ...It lives up to the ole "Oh Yeah Life is Good " tag in my sig...

Back in the day I was playing out a lot and working here and there in music stores ...

I was very grateful when The President of Guild Guitars Mark Dronge decided to give me a gift ...

He knew how much I loved the Guild Guitars they were making at that time so his gift to me was an unpaid endorsement / good will gesture ...
For the record ...that was the first time any well known guitar company gave me a guitar .....( it wasn't the last )

There were only 215 of this Blues Bird model made in various configurations ..
Mine is number 15 .To my knowledge I was told by Mark that I was given a hand made prototype ..

I played the hell out of my guitar all over town in clubs studios and my couch ....

Oh Yeah Life is Good , then for some unknown reason Life bitt me on the A$$ and became very hurtfull...
For now I will spare you the 3 verses and 4 chorus's of the cowboy tearjerker song of my life during that era .....
After my son was abducted by his mother and taken to another country outside of US law I was inconsolable ...
A very good friend of mine offered to hold on to my endorsement guitars Guild ( & Kramer at the time ) ....
He also offered me a small cash loan with the understanding that I was not selling him my guitars ...
he knew i just needed the money ....
Anyway I wound up becoming homeless living in a van in NYC ....
for those of you that may think having a vehicle to sleep in is not being homeless ...try sleeping in one when there is over 2 and a half feet of snow on the ground  ...

That's the first half of the story , I moved out West a number of years later knowing fully well I may never see my guitar again ......

The second half of my story is this ...

Two weeks ago I get an e mail from a friend asking me if I know so and so ...? and if I do know them ...please call them at ......

I make the call and sure enough it is my friend from way back in the day ...I have know him since I was a teen 

My friend P...says to me look I want to get your guitars back to you ...my jaw drops ,,,I say you still have them ?
He did and they sat in the case for 25 years ...unplayed
Anyway we decide on getting my Guild back first and I just got it a couple of days ago ...

Here's a few pics I took tonight ...they are low rez phone camera pics ...I don't have the best lighting so I shot these in my bathroom ....
I'm so Effing stoked .....to have my guitar back .

My Guild guitar has turned out to be a Gift to me two times

Oh Yeah Life Is Good , 

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2016/02/10 06:20:19

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

22 Replies Related Threads

Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/10 07:20:17 (permalink)
    Oh yeah, Life is good!

Congrats Kenny.  You just made my day!

I don't know what else to say, but that is a beautiful guitar.

Jesse Q.  Screed

Leadfoot
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2817
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/10 07:37:41 (permalink)
    Very cool Kenny! Congratulations! It's a very cool looking guitar. I haven't seen a Kahler trem in a while. Happy picking!
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/10 08:11:11 (permalink)
    Great story...thanks for sharing

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/10 08:45:37 (permalink)
    The world is a good place after all

So happy for you Kenny.

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/10 08:50:32 (permalink)
    Excellent news Kenny, enjoy that geetar!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/10 10:15:52 (permalink)
    Wow amazing! 

That's given me an idea for a website....Guitars Reunited....

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    ston
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 965
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/10 10:24:42 (permalink)
    That looks a lot more modern than most modern guitars!  V. nice.

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/10 10:36:37 (permalink)
    It doesn't get much better than that. Congrats Kenny.
    King_Windom
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 156
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/10 13:09:31 (permalink)

I like happy endings. 
    patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/10 13:57:24 (permalink)
    Everyone needs a friend like that!  Congrats on getting the Guild back!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/10 16:27:52 (permalink)
    Cool . Now that's a friend.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/10 16:37:51 (permalink)
    That is such a cool story. 

My 1969 SG  was stolen TWO times.... I got it back both times.   The first time was from a load out after a gig.... I got a phone call 6 months later from the Naval Investigative Service officer who had investigated the theft. They had recovered it.  Long story...... but I got it back.

Second time, out of my house.... came home to an open door and all my musical gear gone. They didn't get the TV or stereo, and my gigging rig was in my van so they didn't get that. The neighbor lady described a car that had stopped in front of my house that day..... and long story short.... the police had my gear back to me the next day.

After the 2 theft and recovery, the Red factory finish was dinged up pretty bad, so I sanded it down and finished it natural. That's how it is today.

Those unexpected phone calls are always the best.  Glad you got your guitar back.... such a cool story. And a real testimony  to the honesty and integrity of your friend.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/10 18:41:13 (permalink)
    Cool story!  I can relate because I have one, last custom, paid for and waiting for me to get back on my feet that's being kept by my luthier in Ohio.  Someday (hopefully soon) I'm looking forward to having a similar story! 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    kennywtelejazz
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/11 00:01:39 (permalink)
    Jesse Screed
    Oh yeah, Life is good!

Congrats Kenny.  You just made my day!

I don't know what else to say, but that is a beautiful guitar.

Jesse Q.  Screed

Hi Jesse , I'm glad that you enjoyed my story and that you like my guitar .

Leadfoot
    Very cool Kenny! Congratulations! It's a very cool looking guitar. I haven't seen a Kahler trem in a while. Happy picking!

Thank you Leadfoot , I like the Khaler trem on this guitar ..Love being able to micro tune ...
    I'm over her Picking & Grinning .

auto_da_fe
    Great story...thanks for sharing

auto_da_fe , I'm glad you enjoyed my story ...I'm also happy i decided to share it ...

Karyn
    The world is a good place after all

So happy for you Kenny.

Hi Karyn , Yes, the world is a good place after all thank you for being happy for me ..I'm still in a state of shock .

jamesg1213
    Excellent news Kenny, enjoy that geetar!

Hi James , Yes I'm enjoying the unexpected reunion with my guitar ...
    I got my grimy paws all over it . I've had to wipe the fingerprints off the black finish when I'm done so I can sit there and admire it's beauty .

thank you every one , I'll be back ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/11 07:44:14 (permalink)
    What a great thing to read first thing this morning. I needed something good this morning, I actually feel better after reading this. What a good friend, what a good thing to have happen. I wish all stories were this good.

I've had a guitar stolen once, in the early 70s from a church. It was back before I knew it was stolen. Some guy stole mine and a friend's Epiphone. He was walking down the highway when a cop drove by, he dropped them and ran. They found out where they belonged and brought them back. Sometimes cool things happen.
    On the other hand my Silvertone 1485 was stolen and is still gone but I think I know what happened to it. It involved about 3 pounds of weed, a front of a pound, a bust, and owed money... I think I know who got it but I never said anything because if what I think happened did happen, it's OK. If not well, it's still gone. I still have to foot pedal and hey! It's worth $100 so all is not lost.

Your story makes me feel good, thank you for posting it.

Thread of the year!

J

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/11 15:07:34 (permalink)
    Great story, Kenny. Glad I happened to tune into the CH to read it. Your joy is palpable and infectious. I'm very happy for you. 

Dave

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/11 19:09:46 (permalink)
    Kenny, I reread this post, and I gotta say, you made my day again!

Oh yeah, Life is good....

Jesse Q. Screed
    kennywtelejazz
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/11 20:39:02 (permalink)
    sharke
    Wow amazing! 

That's given me an idea for a website....Guitars Reunited....

Hi sharke ,

I'm pretty blown away in a positive way . +1  This whole experience has turned out to be amazing ...

Guitars Reunited .

A place where Guitar Players can reconnect with that Special Love of their Life Guitar that got away  ...

ston
    That looks a lot more modern than most modern guitars!  V. nice.

Thanks ston

Yes , you are absolutely right . This guitar is very modern , even by today's standards .

A little back story ....
    Elliot Easton and Brian Setzer were both involved in the design of this guitar ...
    Earl Slick had gotten one right around the time I had gotten mine ...
    ( I have never met Earl S...the other 2 players mentioned , yes under various social circumstances )

Since my pics do not do this guitar justice I may as well fill in a few of the blanks .
    The fingerboard is a nice slab of Ebony . The binding you see is wood . The fret job is absolutely to die for...
    Visually the fingerboard inlays are very high quality along the lines of any top of the line guitar that is out there regardless of the company of origin or price point ...
    3 EMG  pickups from 1985/6 wired to a 5 way .There is no tone control . In the place of a tone control  is an EMG Strat presence control also from that time line / era ...

All the rest people can pretty much see ..even w the low rez pic's I posted
    The Khaler is a top mount w fine tuners . The head stock pays homage to the Fender Tele , and the back side of the guitar has a body cut for player comfort ...

Sound wise this guitar has it's own thing going on ...
    IMHO , It has a lot more natural sustain than a Strat , yet not as much as a Les Paul or an SG ...
    The tone reminds me of a very " Hi Fi " type of guitar tone when played clean ..
    The EMG  PU's may play into to that a little yet I think that it maybe because of the various combined elements of the different guitar designs incorporated  , the woods , electronics  and hardware ....

I'm very satisfied playing this guitar  

Hhhmm,  me thinks Kenny's guitar tone may have just got upgraded from 1.0 to 2.0 

thank you all , I'll be back ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/13 05:50:36 (permalink)
    bapu
    It doesn't get much better than that. Congrats Kenny.

Yes how true . thank you Ed .

King_Windom

I like happy endings. 

Me too, I hope the same holds true for a brand new beginning .

patm300e
    Everyone needs a friend like that!  Congrats on getting the Guild back!

57Gregy

Cool . Now that's a friend.

Yes Guys , I thought my friend was a good one to begin with ...
    I had no idea he was gonna turn out to be an Angel in Disguise ...
    Man , I love this Guild Guitar

Guitarhacker
    That is such a cool story. 

My 1969 SG  was stolen TWO times.... I got it back both times.   The first time was from a load out after a gig.... I got a phone call 6 months later from the Naval Investigative Service officer who had investigated the theft. They had recovered it.  Long story...... but I got it back.

Second time, out of my house.... came home to an open door and all my musical gear gone. They didn't get the TV or stereo, and my gigging rig was in my van so they didn't get that. The neighbor lady described a car that had stopped in front of my house that day..... and long story short.... the police had my gear back to me the next day.

After the 2 theft and recovery, the Red factory finish was dinged up pretty bad, so I sanded it down and finished it natural. That's how it is today.

Those unexpected phone calls are always the best.  Glad you got your guitar back.... such a cool story. And a real testimony  to the honesty and integrity of your friend.

Excellent Story Herb , I'm real pleased to find out you had gotten your SG back twice ...

When I talked with my friend I had told him how much I respected his integrity . That too me was a large part of the gift and the comfort it brought into my life ....
    The Guitar is a Bonus ..one I'm glad to have ..yet in perspective , it is a bonus  ..
    Thanks .

craigb
    Cool story!  I can relate because I have one, last custom, paid for and waiting for me to get back on my feet that's being kept by my luthier in Ohio.  Someday (hopefully soon) I'm looking forward to having a similar story! 

Hi Craig , thank you for your comments and wishing me well ...I honestly do hope you get your guitar back ...

jbow
    What a great thing to read first thing this morning. I needed something good this morning, I actually feel better after reading this. What a good friend, what a good thing to have happen. I wish all stories were this good.

I've had a guitar stolen once, in the early 70s from a church. It was back before I knew it was stolen. Some guy stole mine and a friend's Epiphone. He was walking down the highway when a cop drove by, he dropped them and ran. They found out where they belonged and brought them back. Sometimes cool things happen.
    On the other hand my Silvertone 1485 was stolen and is still gone but I think I know what happened to it. It involved about 3 pounds of weed, a front of a pound, a bust, and owed money... I think I know who got it but I never said anything because if what I think happened did happen, it's OK. If not well, it's still gone. I still have to foot pedal and hey! It's worth $100 so all is not lost.

Your story makes me feel good, thank you for posting it.

Thread of the year!

J

Hi jbow ,

After thinking about it for a couple of days I'm actually very happy I decided to share this story ...
    I feel that this whole experience was a Gift ...
    I'm happy you got some good vibes and feelings out of it ...
    thank you for sharing your story ,
    I'm glad you got your Epiphone back ..sorry about the amp...

brundlefly
    Great story, Kenny. Glad I happened to tune into the CH to read it. Your joy is palpable and infectious. I'm very happy for you. 

Dave

Hi Dave ,

I'm super happy you caught this one in The C H
    On the surface I got my guitar back. Also as a side benefit it feels just like my Soul has gotten a tune up in the process ....
    The whole amazing thing about this to me is  it all happened with out me trying to make it happen ...
    I had nothing to do with any of it other than saying Yes to the Gift and accepting it ...
    I Love to hug my big dog , he gets all comfortable and leans into the hug and we just breath together .
    It feels like life itself decided to switch roles and make me the dog and hug me like how I hug my dog .
    I may end up naming my guitar Grace ...

Jesse Screed
    Kenny, I reread this post, and I gotta say, you made my day again!

Jesse Q. Screed

Hi Jesse , I'm glad you came back and got a good vibe after rereading the post again

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Bajan Blue
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2029
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/13 07:52:39 (permalink)
    Great story Kenny - and the guitar looks way cool
    Made my day
    Cheers
    Nigel

Nigel
    Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

Moshkito
    Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3765
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/16 15:14:42 (permalink)
    Hi,

I want to get my EB-0 bass back ... the one with the pegs turned backwards ... that thing was super nice and I simply had no way of telling or knowing! Cherry Red, too!
    post edited by Moshkito - 2016/02/16 15:28:45

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
    kennywtelejazz
    Re: Oh Yeah Life Is Good , I got my first "endorsment guitar" back after 25 years.. 2016/02/17 22:46:21 (permalink)
    Bajan Blue
    Great story Kenny - and the guitar looks way cool
    Made my day
    Cheers
    Nigel

Thank You Nigel

Moshkito
    Hi,

I want to get my EB-0 bass back ... the one with the pegs turned backwards ... that thing was super nice and I simply had no way of telling or knowing! Cherry Red, too!

I always wanted on of those EB-O's I hope you get something if that is what you want .

all the best ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1