• Total Posts : 86000

17 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Tame those cymbals 2016/02/09 17:47:18 (permalink)
    Now this is getting out of control.  I mean the drum rings are one thing but muting cymbals is another.  No matter what you do the sound of the cymbal will change the moment anything touches it no matter how light.  There is no way around it.  The edge of a cymbal vibrates in a huge manner. 

The problem are the drummers themselves.  They are simply hitting cymbals way too hard.  The thing is a cymbal can produce a lot of sound with only a very light stroke.

It is better to master the concept of the amount of power you use on a cymbals.  It is hard because some drums need to be hit harder (toms usually) and others not so hard and cymbals a different level of power again in order to get a very even level over all the drum surfaces.  That takes skill.  Experienced drummers can do it and it sounds much better.  I can do it but I have learned from years of recording myself  (a single mic ohead as well nothing fancy here) and hearing back how things sound.  Over time I have adjusted the amount of power required for the surfaces in order to get the perfect drum sound.  That is the way to learn how to do it.

Another problem area is the snare.  Most drummers hit it way too hard as well.  The snare drum can produce a very clear audible level even when you let the end of a stick drop under its own steam/gravity to the surface.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Maarkr
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 488
    Re: Tame those cymbals 2016/02/09 20:26:56 (permalink)
    I laugh at most drummers cause they seem to think it's a contest to see who can hit them the hardest.  I have used e-drums for years, and drummers that use them don't like them because they hit them so hard they don't like the noise if they don't have a monitor over their head.  Idiots... I get the same sound on them with light touch and lightweight sticks... and the bounce is better that real acoustics so you can move faster... of course I don't have the strength I used to.  I can't listen to small venues with banging drummers because they fill the space with too much noise and the rest of the band can't manage their sound over the drums.

Maarkr
    Studio: SPALT Lifetime/BL Cakewalk, Studio One 3.5, UAD, Z3ta+2, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melda, Reaper
    i7 3770/Giga Z77 mobo, Win10 Pro-64 w16Gb, MOTU Ultralite MK4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Roland Lucina, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez Bass, Amps, e-drums, Zoom R-16...
    Latest album release, NEW! Counry Classic at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/
    Jeff Evans
    Re: Tame those cymbals 2016/02/09 22:10:53 (permalink)
    When you compare drums to most other acoustic instruments they are actually quite a bit louder.  So what drummers should be doing is dropping the amount of sound they make from the drums to match everything else.  (instead of the other way around) Even when playing through a big PA when you do that it works well.  Lovely even stage volume from everyone and a big loud sound out front.

Being a recording engineer helps though because I have always adjusted my volume on stage so that I was hearing a perfect well balanced mix.  Once you drop the drum levels down everything else just sounds amazing and very nice and seems to fall into place.  No one has to work over hard either.  The audience and the venue will love you forever!  They also record beautifully when hit way less hard too.  You get a horrible thin sound when you smash them.  When you play them at the right level they sing and sound fat.

With regard to cymbals I use to play in an Orbison/Presley tribute band.  There was a lot going on and we had a lovely lowish stage volume but a big sound out front.  I used to worry sometimes when the sound guy did not put mics on the hats or overheads.  All I had to do was use nylon tipped sticks and he said he could hear my hats and cymbals right over the top of the herd of elephants that was coming out front.  Isn't that interesting and I was not even hitting the cymbals hard at all, just playing the ride and hats at normal to low levels and crashing gently.  He used to say to me that if he miked them up they would end up too loud!
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2016/02/10 06:05:22

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Tame those cymbals 2016/02/10 08:22:59 (permalink)
    In the one lesson I ever had, from the house drummer of the Bird Cage in London, when I started playing drums was do not hit cymbals straight on, hit with glancing blow, gives much more control over volume, timber etc.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Tame those cymbals 2016/02/10 08:34:27 (permalink)
    This drummer shows how it should be done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5CgdTtGv8o

Notice he ain't banging the crap out of them.

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Tame those cymbals 2016/02/10 13:14:33 (permalink)
    I used to play in a band where the drummer was LOUD.... seriously loud.  We were playing at around 118dB... yeah crazy loud.... and when the drummer took his solo, it went to 121dB on stage.... and he was miked...

He'd buy a new cymbal and in a few weeks it would be cracked. He didn't have any cymbals that weren't drilled in an attempt to stop the cracks... One night, he hit his crash and the crack instantly ran completely around the cymbal and the outter 2" fell down the stand.... and he had a new splash cymbal.

That band was fun, and we played a lot, but it ruined my high end hearing. We were young, stupid and loud.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jeff Evans
    Re: Tame those cymbals 2016/02/10 13:27:56 (permalink)
    dcumpian

Yes great example.  This is at the top end of hitting the drums but as you say still not smashing them.  Notice how he gets a nice sense of pushing and energy without all the smashing.  So many drummers think the energy is related to the level of hardness and loudness you are hitting the drums but in a way it has nothing to do with it.  It is all about driving the beat and placing the hits in the right place musically, timing wise. 

One of my drum teachers used to say let the energy flow right down your arm but stop it at the wrists and just let enough through to do the job.

Also notice how nice the snare sounds in this video.  Even though it is close miked it still sounds good and fat. He is not pounding the snare at all.  This is about as hard as I would get in force and loudness.  There is still plenty of dynamic range below this level too.

Herb if you are breaking sticks, heads and destroying cymbals or bleeding you are doing something wrong.  I have never broken a stick, head or cymbal in 46 years of playing.  End of story.

In terms of volume the whole band should be aiming for about 105 dB SPL which is known to be the most exciting sound pressure level.  (What a symphony orchestra can only reach in full force acoustically)  Anything over is bad and it all starts to go downhill from there.

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re: Tame those cymbals 2016/02/10 13:28:13 (permalink)
    You guys are all so spot on! The problem is...while drummers are learning to play, they are not focusing on dynamics or what I like to call "finesse drumming". This takes time. Sort of like guitar players that go for all the mean licks and cool scales etc. They don't come into their own and learn actual "melodic phrasing" until they have played quite a few years.

Until drummers can get that finesse quality, we have to use baffle boards (plexi-glass) and cymbal tamers. My drummer hits rather hard, but is also quite a finesse guy. He can turn it off and on which is cool. Us being a rock band, well, most of the stuff sounds better when he really hits it. That said, it forces us to have to turn up and that is one thing I have always been against. The louder you are on stage, the harder it is for your singer, the worse it is for your audience hearing all that raw sound coming off the stage.

What we do in situations like that....our drummer uses those Rodz things. You know, the sticks that look like 50 long stick matches that light your grill/stove were banded together? It's amazing how much this cuts down on the drum volume and allows the drummer to still beat the heck out of the drums. It not only saves heads and voices from screaming....it saves your ears.

Also, I have noticed quite a bit more ring in some of the cymbal selection drummers are bringing into my studio. Some of these things don't really sound that good to be honest. They last forever after you hit them, and the quality is not veryt good. Some of the Sabian stuff just annoys me, but it seems to be one of the weapons of choice from quite a lot of players. I've literally had to strategically tape or even put putty on cymbals that annoyed me or sounded bad. Sometimes you can't eq them to sound right because they are just a poor quality cymbal....or maybe all the drummer could afford. You learn to handle things as they come your way. Sometimes it's a challenge, other times you catch a break. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re: Tame those cymbals 2016/02/10 13:43:22 (permalink)
    Danny hit the nail on the head.  There are plenty of drummers who can play the drums.  The ones with finesse (The Steve Gadds and Jeff Porcoros of the world) are the ones that people enjoy hearing.

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Tame those cymbals 2016/02/11 08:48:36 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans
    Herb if you are breaking sticks, heads and destroying cymbals or bleeding you are doing something wrong.  I have never broken a stick, head or cymbal in 46 years of playing.  End of story.

In terms of volume the whole band should be aiming for about 105 dB SPL which is known to be the most exciting sound pressure level.  (What a symphony orchestra can only reach in full force acoustically)  Anything over is bad and it all starts to go downhill from there.

I agree.  Yeah, the drummer, "DJ", played so hard that not only the cymbals didn't live long, neither did the heads.  He kept spare heads because he broke quite a few.

He also bought the heavy duty drum sticks and then turned them around backwards because he didn't like using the ends with the tips... they didn't "hit hard enough" for him.  In addition to that, the sticks were chewed up from where he would hit the edge of the cymbals rather than hitting them on the surface.  His attack was at about 45 degrees to the edge.... chew up a drum stick in a hurry. I saw him chew many a stick in half in a song, grab a new stick and keep playing.  

He also had developed a snare strike that was a smacking side stick hit.... hitting both the head and the rim at the same time for a very loud crack.  

In spite of all that, he did understand control and finesse and could play the perfect drum parts in country as well as the rock stuff we did.  He just liked playing loud and seemingly out of control better. He was energetic and was a driving force in the band.... we were a 3 piece band.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: Tame those cymbals 2016/02/11 11:02:10 (permalink)
    dcumpian

Dan

Great tune to start the day! Here's their entire 2014 New Year's Eve show.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    Danny Danzi
    Re: Tame those cymbals 2016/02/11 13:51:56 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

He also had developed a snare strike that was a smacking side stick hit.... hitting both the head and the rim at the same time for a very loud crack.  

This, in my opinion, is the only way to hit a snare drum in MOST styles of music. Seriously, though at times it can be a bear to deal with live, in the studio, the one thing I absolutely HATE, is a drummer that hits like he's playing oldies when he's playing rock, metal, current country rock or even fusion. If you listen to styles of music like that in current form, every drummer rim shots and center hits at the same time. If they don't, they fly a sample in that does both of those.

Now for the seasoned jazz guy, dynamics are key at all times. Most, like Jeff, won't break sticks or damage heads. But the more aggressive players will most definitely have this happen. Seriously listen to the current country rock that is happening right now. No one is hitting the snare like a wuss because it just wouldn't remain in the song. Heck, listen to Stevie Ray "Crossfire"....snare on that is smashed and sounds fantastic. So though we can definitely bash on drummers that...well, bash on drums...lol....we can't deny that when done right, nothing beats a kit that is hit with meaning. It just really can take a toll on us live when you are jamming in close proximity to a guy that hits with conviction. :)
    -Danny

My Site
    Voda La Void
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 723
    Re: Tame those cymbals 2016/02/15 11:04:59 (permalink)
    Interesting thread.  I've tried playing at lower volume and I find I just don't "feel" the groove or the timing as well.  Granted, I'm sure I could get used to it over time, but I love the feel of hitting them hard.  

But that doesn't mean a loss of finesse either.  That's the part I'm not getting here.  I punch the bass and snare most of the time, for most of the music I record that is appropriate for that, but that doesn't apply to cymbals and fills.  I'm about ready to post my first song done with acoustic drums and if you listen you should hear the dynamics between the general beat and the fills.  

Now on taming cymbals...I saw Elton John in concert when I was a kid and I was mesmerized by the drummer and I remember being impressed how he hit his cymbals like a side-arm pitch.  I thought it looked cool and I started playing mine that way.  I never realized there was an actual functional point to what he was doing.  And now that I've got two overheads, I'm now beginning to be suspicious of the cymbal and hi-hat work being too high in the mix - the hi-hats are almost as loud as the snare.   

The sound is better and fuller with the overheads, but I'm afraid I'm ruining the overall mix....

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
    scottcmusic
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 130
    Re: Tame those cymbals 2016/02/16 12:19:14 (permalink)
    Well, if we take recorded drums as the ideal ... Meaning if we are trying to recreate recorded music on a stage, then I believe a drummer should make an attempt to have his drums sound like that recording. Just like a guitar player is expected to have a comparable tone and technique to the song you are recreating live, a drummer should also acquiesce to the music at hand.

The first thing done in a professional recording studio after drums are recorded is the engineer usually starts applying high and low pass EQ filters on the drums to tame certain rogue frequencies in the extreme upper and lower registers. He also may considerably lower the overall levels of the cymbals in general so they don't eat up a bunch frequency space that the lead vocals will eventually need to shine through clearly. Cymbals can really cut into vocal diction if you don't watch it.

So a drummer that insists on bashing the hell out of his kit is really just saying, "Screw the actual tune at hand, and look at me everyone!" It's no different than a lead guitar player insisting on lugging a wall of Marshalls to club gigs and running them all on eleven!
    post edited by scottcmusic - 2016/02/16 12:36:14

it appears i've fallen off the tune-wagon yet again ...

| scott c
    http://scottcmusic.com/
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/scottc
    https://soundcloud.com/scott-cmusic
    Danny Danzi
    Re: Tame those cymbals 2016/02/16 23:31:06 (permalink)
    scottcmusic
    The first thing done in a professional recording studio after drums are recorded is the engineer usually starts applying high and low pass EQ filters on the drums to tame certain rogue frequencies in the extreme upper and lower registers. He also may considerably lower the overall levels of the cymbals in general so they don't eat up a bunch frequency space that the lead vocals will eventually need to shine through clearly. Cymbals can really cut into vocal diction if you don't watch it.

Not to be confrontational, but I believe quite a few engineers would disagree with your first sentence. Most engineers will edit drums for timing and check for hit consistency, replacement or hybridding of sounds before we'll even touch an eq. Once that's done, then we'll worry about eq and literally mixing the kit in with the rest of the instrumentation. Not all engineers have to deal with stuff like that. But most high end clients like some of the ones I work with, demand drum editing and replacement even though they have drummers you can set your watch by.

As for drummers that bash their kits....one of the most annoying things you can be faced with as an engineer working with drums, is a drummer that has no conviction in his/her hits. You literally have to replace hits like that when they fall short. I see a heck of a lot more drummers playing the wimp card than those that whack the drums like they should. It doesn't sound dynamic anymore...it sounds like <insert light hitting drummer of choice> attempting to play in the wrong band. The impact you lose with light hits when something shouldn't be light, is almost demoralizing.

This of course is mostly in rock and metal music, but even in fusion, blues and current country rock, there are serious hits going on in poppy songs and non-ballad types. The majority of radio songs have drum consistency where there are strong or even bashed hits going on, and it's not just due to extreme compression/limiting. Depending on the style of music, a lack of a serious whack can change the entire sound of the band/song negatively.

scottcmusicSo a drummer that insists on bashing the hell out of his kit is really just saying, "Screw the actual tune at hand, and look at me everyone!" It's no different than a lead guitar player insisting on lugging a wall of Marshalls to club gigs and running them all on eleven!

It depends on the situation as well as the material. If you've ever played with an "arena rock" drummer, this is how they play. Heck most hard rock drummers play like that and just about all metal drummers do. So it definitely has its place. It's part of the style and they bash the majority of their music unless it's a ballad. Kinda like if we took the razor sharp sounding guitars out of punk music, it wouldn't be punk anymore. The sounds help to make the style what it is, ya know? :)

It's tough in a club though because everything is too loud anyway. The majority of rooms aren't set up for a live band anyway. Some are so bad acoustically, it doesn't matter how low you try to go. The sound carries and it just bounces all over. Drums are loud, no one else can hear, we all start to turn up. Then of course you get wet napkins thrown at you by the club manager. LOL! I so remember those days!!! We have such a killer soundman now, we can go low and come through our monitors or in-ears. On another note...

One thing I can say....most home recordists mix their cymbals way too loud. They are supposed to be treated as percussive accents, not full blown instruments that should be as loud as a vocal or guitar track. Low pass those babies and lower them to where you can hear them, but not to where they barrel over things within the mix. The only cymbals that can get away with being a bit loud are hats and ride. Even there, it's easy to allow hats to be too loud...but they are acceptable as long as they are eq'd correctly and are not hissing like a snake. :)

-Danny

My Site
    jackson white
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 283
    Re: Tame those cymbals 2016/03/04 12:26:20 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans
    ... The audience and the venue will love you forever! ...  

The -BAND- will love you forever. The head stock on my bass is pretty chewed up from knocking over cymbal stands, among other things. 

--------------------
    Some pieces of wood with wires and bits of metal stuck in them, silicon and plastic
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1