Best Audio Latency Interface Suggestions-Post for Craig

Author
dannyjmusic
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 237
2016/02/08 22:58:01 (permalink)

Best Audio Latency Interface Suggestions-Post for Craig

Hello Craig...First...I was a fan back when Electronic Projects for Musicians came out! Where did the time go?
Anyway...I was a drummer for years and latency when trying to play a drum part on a virtual synth drives me nuts....I used to use an Atari with Hybrid Arts using all external synths, and there was no latency at all!
So my question is...does that Tascam US 20 x 20 with the USB 3.0 make a big difference? or should I just get a good USB 2.0 interface...
I've been using a Zoom R24 and it really has a lot of latency...works pretty well, but also is kinda quirky and Sonar really doesn't like it much..crashes a lot and takes forever to be recognized again by Sonar. 
I also am using a Fast Track C400 for now...tired of the Zoom problems and looking for something better
I really don't need a lot of inputs right now...just 2 to 4
Sooo...I know you just got the Tascam...is that a good choice, or should I just go for a 2.0 interface? I am a full time composer so it's not just a hobby.

Thanks for your thoughts

14 Replies Related Threads

batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Best Audio Latency Interface Suggestions-Post for Craig 2016/02/10 10:56:58 (permalink)
    if you are looking for the BEST....

for latency....with usb....

seems the RME is the one you should be looking at.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Best Audio Latency Interface Suggestions-Post for Craig 2016/02/10 13:11:40 (permalink)
    Why are you limiting your post to Craig? shouldn't you just send him a PM if you only want his advice?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    dannyjmusic
    Re: Best Audio Latency Interface Suggestions-Post for Craig 2016/02/10 15:16:01 (permalink)
    Sorry , didn't know how to do that :)  Thanks...I just saw it at the top of the page...But, I'll take anybody's advice...I just knew he  bought one recently and thought he might have a good take on it by now...do you have any suggestions? I'm  open for suggestions :)
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Best Audio Latency Interface Suggestions-Post for Craig 2016/02/10 15:55:06 (permalink)
    If you're looking for the lowest possible round-trip latency with a USB audio interface, you need to look at MOTU or RME.
    • The MOTU AVB series yields 4.9ms total round-trip latency at a 64-samples ASIO buffer size/44.1k
    • The RME UBS units yield 4.3ms total round-trip latency at a 48-sample ASIO buffer size/44.1k
    At those buffer sizes, that's on-par with PCIe units.
    As long as your machine can keep up with the load, performance will be glitch-free.

The best PCIe audio interfaces let you take the ASIO buffer size down to 32 or even 16-samples.
    That's sub 3ms total round-trip latency.

If lowest possible round-trip latency is paramount to your workflow, don't skimp on the audio interface.
    In this scenario, lesser units won't do.
    Go with a proven rock-solid performer... and you'll never give the audio interface a second thought.

Aside from the PC itself, the audio interface is the second most critical choice in a rock-solid DAW.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    TerraSin
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1975
    Re: Best Audio Latency Interface Suggestions-Post for Craig 2016/02/10 16:07:28 (permalink)
    Jim, I never hear much about PCIe interfaces apart from UAD's DSP Accelerator cards. Are many companies still even making them?
    jbraner
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1830
    Re: Best Audio Latency Interface Suggestions-Post for Craig 2016/02/10 16:20:32 (permalink)
    I can vouch for the MOTU Ultralite AVB. My PC can't really handle the 64 sample 4.9ms RT latencies - but it's happy at 7.8ms. The fact that the MOTU drivers can go that low, for a USB interface, is great.
    Plus, the MOTU is a lot cheaper than a RME (UC for example) here in the UK.

John Braner
    https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
    http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
    - Cakewalk by BandLab x64
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    - Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
    - MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
    I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
    er - that's it I think...
    dannyjmusic
    Re: Best Audio Latency Interface Suggestions-Post for Craig 2016/02/10 16:24:41 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for your help guys!
    Beagle
    Re: Best Audio Latency Interface Suggestions-Post for Craig 2016/02/10 17:30:50 (permalink)
    The MOTU AVB is the next generation MOTU unit from what I have which is the Ultralite MK3.  they still manufacture the Ultralite MK3's but the AVB is newer (and a little more expensive).

there are several MOTU units available with the same technology as the Ultralite as well including the 4PRE and the Audio Express.
    AVB ~$650
    Ultralite ~$550
    4PRE ~ $450
    Audio Express ~$400
    or if you're brave you can try finding a used one on ebay.

I use the MOTU Ultralite MK3 in USB mode (in firewire mode I get "noise" on my system for some reason) and I can get it down to 64 samples 4.9msec latency under most circumstances.

for a CHEAP unit, I have a backup that I bought and used when my MOTU had to be repaired (it's a few years old).  my backup unit is a presonus USB audiobox ~$100

I had purchased a focusrite 2i2 butI really didn't like the gain control on it and took it back and got the presonus, however a LOT of people do like the focusrite stuff, I"m in the minority on that one.  they're ~$150

eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: Best Audio Latency Interface Suggestions-Post for Craig 2016/02/10 21:13:10 (permalink)
    If you have an extra PCIe slot get the rme hdsp 9652. It's even better than a usb 2.0 for latency.  Btw RME supports their products for very long periods of time..does the unicorn??  I'd hate to unload a bunch of dough and then see there are no drivers for it next year.  RME continues to write drivers for  products that were made for xp. JRR shop has the HDSPe AIO (which is probably the best option) for $849.  I don't think we're allowed to post linx.
    post edited by eph221 - 2016/02/10 21:46:48
    Beagle
    Re: Best Audio Latency Interface Suggestions-Post for Craig 2016/02/11 08:36:32 (permalink)
    eph221
    If you have an extra PCIe slot get the rme hdsp 9652. It's even better than a usb 2.0 for latency.  Btw RME supports their products for very long periods of time..does the unicorn??  I'd hate to unload a bunch of dough and then see there are no drivers for it next year.  RME continues to write drivers for  products that were made for xp. JRR shop has the HDSPe AIO (which is probably the best option) for $849.  I don't think we're allowed to post linx.

well, in my experience MOTU has supported devices for long periods of time.  I've had mine through winXP, win7 and Win10 without driver issues.

and when mine broke out of warranty I paid $100 flat fee for a refurbished replacement.  support seemed fine to me.

kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: Best Audio Latency Interface Suggestions-Post for Craig 2016/02/11 17:49:02 (permalink)
    eph221

Hammerfalls are PCI.   I don't think it is wise to invest in a PCI unit when most boards will not have those slots. The do have PCI to PCIe adapters.  Read the RME forums on those who went this way.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: Best Audio Latency Interface Suggestions-Post for Craig 2016/02/11 22:45:04 (permalink)
    dannyjmusic
    Hello Craig...First...I was a fan back when Electronic Projects for Musicians came out! Where did the time go?
    Anyway...I was a drummer for years and latency when trying to play a drum part on a virtual synth drives me nuts....I used to use an Atari with Hybrid Arts using all external synths, and there was no latency at all!
    So my question is...does that Tascam US 20 x 20 with the USB 3.0 make a big difference? or should I just get a good USB 2.0 interface...
    I've been using a Zoom R24 and it really has a lot of latency...works pretty well, but also is kinda quirky and Sonar really doesn't like it much..crashes a lot and takes forever to be recognized again by Sonar. 
    I also am using a Fast Track C400 for now...tired of the Zoom problems and looking for something better
    I really don't need a lot of inputs right now...just 2 to 4
    Sooo...I know you just got the Tascam...is that a good choice, or should I just go for a 2.0 interface? I am a full time composer so it's not just a hobby.

Thanks for your thoughts

LATENCY - Should have done this years ago....

Repost from a prior thread:

(Works for recording e-drums via MIDI as well)

I've struggled with latency on and off while tracking/recording through a mic either vocals or acoustic guitar.

It's probably not an issue for some, or others have solved what I've just done following their own exploration, or because they have a more expensive audio interface which just removes latency altogether.

But I've solved latency for me, and am passing this on in case any of the forum members have had issues with latency in their set up.

Here's what I've done and it's now perfect. (I have a small studio by the way, I'm not recording live bands).

1. I bought a microphone line splitter (ART SplitComPro). $35.00. Handles phantom power split issue.

2. Bought a mini mixer (Yamaha MG06X) with onboard reverb and delay. $120.00

Routing described here:

A. From microphone, mic line into the mic line splitter input.

B. One split line (the main one), route it to my audio interface mic input.

C. Audio interface output route to 2 channels of input on the mini mixer. This is for playback of the Sonar song's music tracks.

D. from the mic splitter, the second mic split line to an input channel on the mini mixer.

E. Set vocal track in Sonar to record enabled, but don't turn on input monitor.

F. Adjust on the mixer the balance between the Sonar music playback and the mic only channel (brought in by the split line). (Both sound absolutely clean).

G. Add some reverb from the mixer's built in reverb to the mic channel as desired.

H. Record.

Result? It's perfect!

The recording experience is perfect to my ear while performing/singing. The recorded audio track is perfectly clean and on time.

No more latency issues for me.

Solved for about $150.00 of hardware.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    Klaus
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 320
    Re: Best Audio Latency Interface Suggestions-Post for Craig 2016/02/12 15:24:26 (permalink)
    kitekrazy1
    eph221

Hammerfalls are PCI.   I don't think it is wise to invest in a PCI unit when most boards will not have those slots. The do have PCI to PCIe adapters.  Read the RME forums on those who went this way.

The mentioned HDSPe AIO is actually a PCIe unit, not PCI.

SONAR Platinum 
    RME HDSPe AIO - Windows 10 64bit - Intel i7 2600K - 16 GB RAM

kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: Best Audio Latency Interface Suggestions-Post for Craig 2016/02/12 22:35:07 (permalink)
    Klaus
    kitekrazy1
    eph221

The mentioned HDSPe AIO is actually a PCIe unit, not PCI.

Meanwhile Hammerfalls are PCI. The 9632 is a bit over $500. I wish I would have bought one instead of the Yamaha SW1000XG.   Yamaha is great for having doorstops.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1