Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
2016/02/10 23:50:42 (permalink)

Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio

Original song.  Jazz/Pop chord progression I came up with and ran through Toontrack EZ Keys in a "Doobie ala Michael McDonald" type groove and some of my own grooves so the piano part is hybrid.  Bass is Trilian Bass Module funk sound.  Also features EZ Drummer grooves/fills and horns from Garritan JABB, Strings by NI Session Strings and Miroslav Philharmonik.  Hope you can enjoy it.

http://johnbowen.bandcamp.com/track/out-in-the-open

John B.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007

36 Replies Related Threads

ABull
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/11 12:47:02 (permalink)
    You did a good job with the mixing on this -- everything stands out nicely in the mix in a pleasing way.  I would like to hear some more variation in the verses instrument-wise -- perhaps some guitar parts.  And, certainly when the second verse kicks in there should be some variation in sound from the first verse.  The bridge has some interesting chord changes -- -- at the end of it in particular.  You seem to be straining in the vocals -- perhaps lowering the key a step?  :)

Allan
    ====

markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/11 13:12:27 (permalink)
    John,

Cool song and decent mix.   To my ear, the bass, drums and piano all seem a bit too stiff together.   Maybe try some groove quantize or add a little swing to the parts.   The problem with using MIDI loops is that they can sometimes sound a bit mechanical. The piano will also sound more loose as a result of those changes.  You have a good thing here, just needs to maybe loosen up a bit.  I would also put the drums, bass and piano into a common space.  Very nice song and good vocal performance.  
    Johnbee58
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/11 15:01:24 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.  Voice is bad because of asthma and the meds I take for it.  It would suck no matter what key, so I might as well go with a key I like and do the best I can.

John B.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
    NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
    rbecker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 740
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/11 16:49:05 (permalink)
    As the others have said - This tune would be greatly enhanced if you loosened it up and let it swing a bit. Also-

>Get rid of the left hand bass in the piano when it conflicts with the "Bass" bass line. Maybe leave the bass in the piano for the intro, but then do not bring in the Bass until the verse - or maybe even delay the Bass until after the first verse completes(00:54) or even (01:17). This would also help add variation to the song.
    >Try widening the piano all the way from left to right. Too far left now.
    >All the non-drum instruments sound -to my taste - too synthesized. Try for a more acoustic sounds.
    >As Allen said, maybe add a nice rhythm guitar part and then bring down the keys more into the mix.
    >It would be cool if you could find a female singer with a good Jazz voice to do this. If you want to keep it for yourself, then I would say you might try a fairly strong double-track and some delay/reverb, especially on the changes and choruses. Some fairly heavy compression on the lead vocal might also work for you.

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    HD: ST2000DM 001-1ER164 7200RPM
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 Ghz
    RAM:12.0 GB Memory:2 drives 1 Terabyte each
    Windows 10
    Video: NVIDA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    jkoseattle
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 556
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/11 18:27:50 (permalink)
    You sound just like the lead guy on Flaming Lips!

I had similar reaction to others. Piano left hand is too far left-panned. Bass and piano are too quantized, too mechanical. Some BG vocs on the B section (0:51) would fill it out and give some variation from the verse.

I think this might be on purpose, but I'm struck by the odd interplay between the I chord and the first inversion V, so it feels like you're moving to V and I hear the leading tone, then you bounce right back to the I, and I'm struck by that in a non-good way every verse. I tend to like when chances like that are taken, but it doesn't quite work for me. Hey, what about removing the piano left hand entirely?

There's SO much rhythmic activity in the trio, yet the tune is slow and smooth and even - this doesn't work for me. If this were my project, I'd simplify the piano and bass and take the whole thing up in tempo a bit. It feels like it's too slow for the lead singer as well, like he (you, I'm guessing) are impatient to sing faster.

And I echo the idea of adding some reverb/double track to the lead vocal.

The bridge is lovely, and I like the lyrics there, but it ends awkwardly and abruptly, (2:28). And the next couple chord changes right after it feel weird. Feels like a stumble.

"Lyric you convey much too deep" and "within reach" - Syllables are all off there. 

Sonar Version: Platinum  
    Audio Interface: M-Audio Delta
    Computer: Dell i5 3.1 GHz, 12Gb RAM, Windows 10 64-bit
    Soft Synths: EastWest PLAY Symphonic Orchestra
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio 2x2 MidiSport Anniv Edition
    Settings: 16-Bit, Sample Rate 44.1k, ASIO Buffer Size 128-1024, Record/Playback I/O Buffers play:256k, rec: 64k, Total Round Trip Latency 48 ms  
    Check out my work here
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/11 20:47:10 (permalink)
    Very nice tune... I think you nailed this one exactly the way you had intended it to be. Vocals and Piano are really fine. It has a Neil Young vibe to it. The orchestration works equally well.  Enjoyed this one alot. 
    ... Just noticed that your from Reading, PA.  I lived in Emmaus for about 8 years.  

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Johnbee58
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/11 21:55:25 (permalink)
    Thanks all for your suggestions.

Tap.  I've been to Emmaus alot.  Great Penn Dutch food down there.

JB
    post edited by Johnbee58 - 2016/02/11 22:37:24

markno999
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/12 14:58:07 (permalink)
    Johnbee58
    Thanks guys.  Voice is bad because of asthma and the meds I take for it.  It would suck no matter what key, so I might as well go with a key I like and do the best I can.

John B.

John,

I think your singing is fine, actually not bad at all.   My comment was specifically about the mechanical timing of the bass/drums/piano.   Your vocal would be helped with a more swinging track and some of the compression, double-tracking or verb updates recommended above but the singing itself is pretty good.   I don't have asthma and can't sing half that well:)

Regards
    Johnbee58
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/13 00:05:31 (permalink)
    Thanks Mark.

In regards to anything "conflicting", in the opinion of the creator, nothing is conflicting here.  I would've never considered this song complete and presented it here had I thought anything "conflicted". Theoretically, the "conflicting" chord is a G major with C in the bass. On the bass part I emphasize the B (ie the major 3rd in the scale degree of tonic (I) G chord) in the bottom a lot here. (See, I know theory too.  I've studied it). Chords like this are frequently used in jazz and I have an intense love for jazz.  That's my style.  If you think it sucks or "conflicts" , that's how you see it then. I appreciate your suggestions but I'm happy with the arrangement of this song.  I'm sorry if you don't like it.  I guess my music doesn't really suit everybody.  That's life.

Peace and good luck.

John B.
    post edited by Johnbee58 - 2016/02/13 00:12:57

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/13 15:34:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing.
    daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/16 14:08:48 (permalink)
    Good song John B. I particularly like the lyrics. 
    Mix-wise, the piano is a tad left sided with nothing to balance it on the right which makes the overall mix sound one sided.
    Drums could come up in the mix for my taste.
    Johnbee58
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/16 15:51:16 (permalink)
    Thanks, Bapu & Daryl.  I usually mix the piano a bit left because of the headroom situation.

John B.

jkoseattle
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/16 16:48:10 (permalink)
    Johnbee58
    Thanks Mark.

In regards to anything "conflicting", in the opinion of the creator, nothing is conflicting here.  I would've never considered this song complete and presented it here had I thought anything "conflicted". Theoretically, the "conflicting" chord is a G major with C in the bass. On the bass part I emphasize the B (ie the major 3rd in the scale degree of tonic (I) G chord) in the bottom a lot here. (See, I know theory too.  I've studied it). Chords like this are frequently used in jazz and I have an intense love for jazz.  That's my style.  If you think it sucks or "conflicts" , that's how you see it then. I appreciate your suggestions but I'm happy with the arrangement of this song.  I'm sorry if you don't like it.  I guess my music doesn't really suit everybody.  That's life.

Peace and good luck.

John B.

OK, OK, we're just voicing our reactions. But if you're going to go all theory commando here...

While technically what you are playing is a G major chord with a C in the bass, that's not what people are hearing. What you've really got here is a Cmaj9 chord, which is formed by having a G chord over a bass C. That's not what is "conflicting". (Though it's a different key, this famous song is a great example. First chord is the regular major, then he switches to the maj9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvRGh2NEjSU.)

In "Out in the Open", what "conflicts" is that the bass then goes down to the B, which we naturally hear as a I-V progression (C to G, or in this case, Cmaj9 to G 1st inv). This sounds nice. But immediately after we hear that B in the bass, we hear another C in the piano left hand, so while the bass is signaling a change to the G chord, the piano says that no, we're still on the Cmaj9. THEN the bass reiterates it's opinion that we've moved to the 1st inv G chord by repeating its B, but its following arpeggio goes from B up to G and C, so on one hand it's signalling the G chord, it also then plays a C. Which leads me to believe you really are still on the Cmaj9 chord.

I just can't think of any example where a chord jumps from root to 3rd inversion (which is what a Cmaj9/B would be) unless it's in passing to some other chord. Since most of us have no precedent for such a progression in our musical memories, we are more liable to hear that B as ushering in a G/B, which makes perfect harmonic sense anyway, and which is why it sounds "conflicted" -- you didn't really move to the G chord, but are actually still on the Cmaj9. It's actually pretty damn fascinating when you look at it.

None of this is "wrong" of course, it's just that I think you are rubbing people's natural expectations the wrong way, and we're just pointing that out to you. Keep it this way, but it's important for you to be aware how it's likely being heard by a large percentage of your listeners.

I'm all for breaking rules, the more breakage the better. But you have to know when they're being broken so the listener is aware it's on purpose.

Also, while writing this post, I got to spend more time listening to the song, and I like your vocals more and more. You do sound just like the lead for Flaming Lips, and it's a cool sound.

Settings: 16-Bit, Sample Rate 44.1k, ASIO Buffer Size 128-1024, Record/Playback I/O Buffers play:256k, rec: 64k, Total Round Trip Latency 48 ms  
    Check out my work here
    Johnbee58
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/16 18:31:55 (permalink)
    Well OK.  Just to let you know, when I was working on this I DID actually use C  in the bass there (if my memory serves me correctly.  I'm not at my DAW now, but I remember I moved the MIDI a half step).  Initially, my "music sense" dictated it should be as you say, but the more I listened to it, the more conflicting that sounded to me, so I moved the bass down a half step to the B there.  Then, just to make sure everything was jiving I looked at the piano MIDI and the bass and all the notes matched in both parts so I did what made sense to me at the time.  I could very easily change it back to C on that note, but then I'd be back to square 1.  There are a couple of explanations as to why this made more sense to me.  Number 1 is I listen to an awful lot of Jazz, where sometimes things happen that don't always make sense to the listener, at least initially.  Number 2, the piano is actually an EZ Keys pattern at that point.  I used the EZ Key loops at some places in the song and do my own patterns in other places. I generally come up with a chord progression, then go to the EZ Keys browser and let that do its thing.  Sometimes I have to edit a bit as the patterns don't always jive with my chords. All I know is it makes perfect sense to my ears.  Maybe I'm weird, I don't know, but it sounds great to me.  You, of course, and everybody else are entitled to your opinion, but I have had a lot of positive feedback on this tune as well.

JB

Johnbee58
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/16 18:44:47 (permalink)
    Oh, Also;
    JKose, Thanks for you kudos on the vocals  I struggle with singing these days because of chronic asthma, but I'm I glad my effort is being noticed.

JB

markno999
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/16 19:42:05 (permalink)
    Interesting thread… Generally song comments have been about mixing tips, recording techniques, plug-ins, effects,  performance, musical style, et.al…. or just fun.    Not too many comments getting in the weeds on music theory unless someone is way out in left field or the composer is asking for guidance.   This song is certainly not harmonically incorrect and does not sound remotely dissonant or wrong in any way.  If it were there might have been other comments to that effect.

My personal comment and some of the others were about the swing or lack of swing between the Drums, Bass and Piano.    I can tell you musically I didn't hear anything "wrong" and to the contrary I think it is pretty cool.   I would just loosen it up a bit so it just swings a little, everything else is quite good. 

There are many ways to skin a cat chordally and it is ultimately up to the artist to determine the best route to express the song to its’ full potential.  Do I use major, minor, altered chord, triton substitutions,   Should I go Dm7, G7, C or Dm, Ab7, C, or Dm7, Db7, C or Dm7, G7b5 to C or Dm, G13b9 to CMaj7?   Doesn’t much matter as long as everyone is going in the same direction. 

Many new people here, so maybe the status quo is changing, however, I personally wonder how productive comments about chord choices in the Songs Forum are unless someone is specifically asking for assistance or the choice they have made is obviously bad? These theory discussions have generally been reserved for the Techniques forum.   The chord choices in this song are maybe not pop-oriented, canned rock progressions but they are definitely interesting.  Reminded me a bit of some of the early Steely Dan.  They certainly made a career on using the 4th as the chord root.  G/C or Cmaj9 if you prefer, and using passing tones in the process.

There are plenty of examples in music where half step intervals within a chord produce interesting harmonies whether they are at different octaves or the same octave.  

Anyway, sorry to derail your thread, I just wanted to say I am not part of the “we are voicing our opinions” about your chord choices   I like the song and thought it was pretty cool.

Regards
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/16 22:50:37 (permalink)
    I like the song. The vocal is not as bad as my own so that's cool but I see where your going. You have a Neil Young vibe about your voice. I can't say I like the bass sound but it's a cool line.

Nice work!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Johnbee58
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/17 08:25:35 (permalink)
    Mark-Thanks again for "coming to my aid".

Guitarpima-Thank you for listening.  I thought the funky bass sound suited the piano vibe here.  Also, thanks for the Neil Young compare.  My voice once was more solid, but as I told JKose above, I recently developed chronic asthma.  So between the condition itself and the meds I have to take for it, my voice tracks have become a line-for-line affair in the recording process.  It's frustrating as hell, but I appreciate that some people are taking notice that I still have something to offer there.

JB

jkoseattle
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/17 14:49:39 (permalink)
    It's a shame that composition comments are so much less welcome than production comments. Message received. 

It's always been interesting to me that production-type comments are always met with gratitude, while composition comments make people defensive. Writing a good song is way harder than recording a song well. Both are similar, though, in that they are ultimately subjective artistic choices, and both can be improved with concerted practice. I've been in countless conversations with people over the years who spend a lot of money and effort at making their music sound awesome, and it really does, and I congratulate them, and then they tell me how they haven't been able to 'make it big', and I usually think to myself "Sure, you've got some great recordings of not-so-great music". But people don't want to hear that. For whatever reason, people refuse to believe that "All you Need Is Love" is a masterpiece not because it's well-recorded but because it's well-written. And that writing a good song is some kind of magic lightning in a bottle thing as opposed to a skill that can be honed like any other.

I'm not specifically talking about "Out in the Open" here, I'm speaking generally now. Anyway, message received.
    post edited by jkoseattle - 2016/02/17 14:57:33

Check out my work here
    Jesse Screed
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/17 19:36:38 (permalink)
    Hey, I can tell you took a lot of time and effort to create that piece.  I myself am envious of what you have accomplished.  I really appreciate the song.

I must also say that I enjoyed the dialogue from the other commenters.  I did not understand a lot of it, but it did reveal to me the depth of peoples knowledge and their feelings.

Unfortunately, this is the internet, and much of what is meant will be lost in translation.  It happens to me all the time in other forums.

I'm not sure about the "status quo," nor do I know if there are a lot of new people around this forum, but the song helped me think of new ways to compose, and the comments helped me realize that there is an infinite variety of music.

JB, I hope you post some more material, and jkoseattle, I will search the internet for some of your work, maybe better, you can post it here....maybe you have, but I'm new around these parts.

Jesse Q. Screed

More derailment, jkoseattle, can you tell me the chords I play in my song  "Snow Day...Mix 4x?"  I have no idea what I did.

post edited by Jesse Screed - 2016/02/17 20:21:35
    Johnbee58
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/18 10:17:13 (permalink)
    Thanks, Jess.

I appreciate your kind words but I don't think I will be posting here anymore as there seems to be a small group among the posters here who seem to think that I'm just an idiot who bangs on a keyboard and knows nothing about how to produce a "good" song.  I should've learned my lesson a year ago.  Frankly, I don't need the drama.  This place has too much class for my style of amateur songwriting.

JB
    post edited by Johnbee58 - 2016/02/18 10:49:16

Voda La Void
    • Total Posts : 723
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/18 10:56:27 (permalink)
    I'm sorry, but I found this thread fascinating.  I think jkoseattle is being a little misunderstood here.  He seemed to voice his opinion very civilly and constructively.  And he clearly stated none of this "conflict" was a problem, just that it needs to be pointed out to the artist so it becomes a purposeful rule breaking and not accidental.  After all, if I had a conflicting note and I didn't realize it, wasn't hearing it, I would want someone to point it out to me.  

And they did...on a song I posted a year or so ago.  It was a pop-piano type piece and I was doing a half-step climb up to the next note on the scale and it sounded kind of funny to people.  I actually did that on purpose, and I liked it (reminded me of Lennon's "Jealous Guy" progression)  but I was thankful that people pointed it out to me on here.  I left it that way, but I appreciate knowing the impression of others.  

I do agree there's a strict limit to that sort of thing, because we're getting into extremely subjective, and personal creative expression.  I am very thin skinned, myself, but I thought jkoseattle walked that line very well, and respectfully.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
    rbecker
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/18 11:38:39 (permalink)
    Well, I refrained from further comment on this thread a day or two ago. What I was going to say was that voicing and arrangement are just as important as any other aspect of a song, and perhaps some styles lend themselves more than others to this type of examination, e.g Jazz vs Rock. Also - to be fair - I think I was the only one to use the term 'Conflict', which I did in my earlier post, to describe several bass-range notes being sounded by different instruments at the same time. Nothing more.

I am just beginning again to post a couple songs here to this forum, and to balance this, feel it is my duty to take an honest look at songs and give my honest opinion, delivered in the most thoughtful, civil manner one can manage using this medium. Just yesterday I critiqued "Never In My Life" : A tune much better than anything I can do. But what good does it do anybody to just be bombarded with nothing but "Great tune...Nothing more to say"?

Maybe anyone who posts a song here should declare the level of "observations" he or she is looking for. This could range from "Just HOW great did you say my song is?" to "Anything at all, plus the horse I rode in on". 

You may notice that my latest song posting contains "Critiques welcome" right in the subject. Sometimes I find it difficult to know what some folks who post here are really looking for. Maybe they just want to be heard, which is fine...but it would be nice to know that so feelings are not hurt, nor egos bruised.

jkoseattle - I would need to look back, but I am sure some of the most well thought out critiques of my tunes came from you. Thank you!

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10
    jkoseattle
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/18 12:21:15 (permalink)
    rbecker - I also have thought it would be great when people are posting songs here to say what kind of critiques, if any, they want. Honestly, often a body will just want to say "Look what I did! Yay me!" and critiques are not wanted or welcome or anything, and there's nothing at all wrong with that. I certainly hope there's room for it, (otherwise why are we bothering?). Other times, they may want to know "Is this anything?" or "Do you like my guitar solo?" or "Can you hear the lyrics?" 

Johnbee did NOT ask for critiques when he posted his song. We just all took it upon ourselves to provide them, me included. On one hand, someone could say "When you post here it's understood you are opening yourself up to reactions", but on the other hand, he didn't ask for them, so maybe we're in the wrong for providing them.

I for one am really sorry, Johnbee, that I provided a critique that was not asked for. I really hope you don't stop posting here. Clearly, the heart and soul is in your endeavors, I just hope the strength you need is within reach.

In any case, I think there is absolutely a difference between someone just doing show and tell vs someone requesting critiques. I'm going to be careful from now on. Suffice to say, I'm extremely sensitive to songwriting quality, and that's always what I hear first. I have no patience for a song I've heard ten thousand times before. I would rather hear unique failures all day long than uninspiring work from someone who can tweak all the knobs and yet doesn't understand why he hasn't made the big time.

It should be:
    Be myself - fail, ow
    Be myself - fail, ow
    Be myself - fail, ow
    Be myself - fail, ow
    Be myself - fail, ow
    Be myself - succeed - yeeeahh!

And not:
    Be someone else - fail, oh well
    Be someone else - succeed, meh

Check out my work here
    jkoseattle
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/18 12:44:09 (permalink)
    @Jesse - I wrote my thoughts about Snow Day in that song's thread just now. There's a link to my first album in my signature at the bottom of my posts.

Check out my work here
    markno999
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/18 12:44:51 (permalink)
    rbecker
    Maybe anyone who posts a song here should declare the level of "observations" he or she is looking for. This could range from "Just HOW great did you say my song is?" to "Anything at all, plus the horse I rode in on". 

Very thoughtful post, I don't think we need to  go to extreme and don't think you really meant that we should.  Who would want to bother posting on a site where all you hear is "that is great."   Well, maybe some people would like that  ......but probably not anyone who posts here...

The reason I commented on this thread was two-fold.   I don't think it is productive to continue pushing ideas on someone's post after they have dismissed your opinion.   That is my opinion and certainly anyone is free to accept or reject that opinion.   Personally, I have done that (pushed comments) on several occasions and wish someone would have said something about it.    Everyone here is very respectful and extremely helpful, it is an amazing place to learn and get ideas      I don't think anyone was "out-of-line" or anything to that effect.  Just realize that when giving critical suggestions sometimes people take it and sometimes they leave it.  If they leave it, respect that and let it go... More often than not, when people get multiple comments on the same thing, you will see a follow-up mix or change in the song which suggests that they accepted the ideas.  Other times the person may say, "this is it and I'm done with this project."

Secondly, people are here for many different reasons.   Some people are trying to become better song-writers, producers, musicians, collaborators,  some to development their mixing or production skills, some for fun, some to blow off steam after a hard day at work, some because they are retired and do this as a hobby, et. al.      Personally, I like as much critical mix input as possible because I am here to become a better mixer/engineer but others may be here for different reasons and may not care about certain aspects of critical comment.  Or, they may simply not agree with your suggestions.     In those cases, we should simply respect that and move on. 

Certainly the Internet is rife with messages being mis-understood or taken out of context, fully agree there.   People have different ways of looking at things and that keeps it all interesting.      Everyone on this Songs Forum has offered great submissions and suggestions and would not want to see that change in any way.  I am saying what I wrote above is how this Forum should run, it is simply how I look at it and why I responded as I did. 

Sorry again, John, for the de-rail...

Regards
    rbecker
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/18 12:48:17 (permalink)
    You know, I think that I am going to post a thread titled something like...

"Songs forum host and members: Clarification on forum interactions"

...and ask this question.

I just took a look at the forum "Code of Conduct" and "Community Handbook", but there is not a lot there, other than saying that replies should be courteous, and an example of a good and bad reply regarding instrument volumes. It would be nice if there was an addendum to the "Code", or a third sticky thread titled "Rules of Engagement"  that spelled it out more clearly.

RJB -Vernon Corv 

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10
    twisted6s
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2001
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/18 13:56:50 (permalink)
    I like it alot. I think the mix (levels and eq) could use a bit more effort but I like the arrangement chords and melody.

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
    https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

Jesse Screed
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: Out in the Open-Original X3 Studio 2016/02/18 14:22:30 (permalink)
    Johnbee58
    Thanks, Jess.

I appreciate your kind words but I don't think I will be posting here anymore as there seems to be a small group among the posters here who seem to think that I'm just an idiot who bangs on a keyboard and knows nothing about how to produce a "good" song.  I should've learned my lesson a year ago.  Frankly, I don't need the drama.  This place has too much class for my style of amateur songwriting.

JB

Don't do that JB.  As an aside, I was reading reviews of the Let it Be album, the one by the Beetles, and it got slammed by more than a few experts.  Post more songs!!!

Jesse Q. Screed

PS, I try never to make a big deal out of anything, because it never is until you do.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1