Lead synth sounds

Author
kakku
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1646
2016/02/11 03:46:52 (permalink)

Lead synth sounds

I have a need for a list of freeware soft synths that are mainly or that include lead synth sounds that you think are great. I have gone through many freeware synths that i supposed that they have great lead sounds but I was disappointed so I use too often the same fm8 patch that in some sites has been called bad. So IF you have ideas please put them here. I have done a similar thread but it was iirc ages ago and hopefully there have emerged New free synths but you can also put old good synths here. I don't remember which synths I have tried but they are many. This thread could help also other people that have similar problems, at least I hope so. I am terrible in tweaking synth sounds so preferably I would like to see a list with synths that do not require a lot of tweaking. I am also a bit lazy in learning new stuff and I know I should just do some hard learning the tweaking but I always seem to have better things to do when I am at my computer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
kakku

7 Replies Related Threads

craigb
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Lead synth sounds 2016/02/11 13:34:43 (permalink)
    Haven't looked for any freeware soft synths, but I would suggest (as I have to others) finding an easy-to-understand book or tutorial video on basic synth tweaking.  Some people truly are "terrible" at knowing when a sound isn't good, but it looks to me like you're implying you're just bad at tweaking and you kind of know what you're going for sound-wise.  

Besides using your own two ears, you can also using a spectrum analyzer (there are free ones) to make sure your lead tone isn't getting muddied by running into another instrument.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Lead synth sounds 2016/02/11 14:13:52 (permalink)
    I rarely hear a really good synth lead preset. To me most of them sound like they're trapped in a cheesy mid-90's rave timewarp. "Supersaw" leads and the like.

You say you don't want to learn how to tweak presets but why not start simple with a great sounding subtractive synth? To me some of the best lead sounds are nothing more than a couple of good quality oscillators slightly detuned or tuned to octaves. Just set the attack to taste, crank up the sustain and play a little with decay and release times. Add a little saturation or distortion and you're away. Maybe enable the portamento. These are concepts which can literally be learned in a few minutes.

The trouble with a lot of synths is that they're too complicated for beginners. FM synthesis can be hard to wrap your head around and thus beginners shy away from tweaking presets or making their own. Look how many 80's records had stock DX7 presets - nobody wanted to learn how to operate that thing properly!

Start with a great quality subtractive synth and you will be making great lead sounds very quickly. Monark is one of the best but if you don't want to spend the money then the free Tal BassLine comes very close, in fact I've chosen it over Monark in a couple of projects.

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Lead synth sounds 2016/02/11 14:39:22 (permalink)
    Rapture 
    you should already have it, I believe.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: Lead synth sounds 2016/02/11 18:51:24 (permalink)
    It's not the meat, it's the motion.

Jesse Q. Screed
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Lead synth sounds 2016/02/12 04:02:05 (permalink)
    Crystal
    Synth1
    MininmogueVA

I assume you have probably used those. The problem with presets is that, pretty much regardless of the synth, they are designed to show off the full capability of the synth, even when it produces a sound that renders as mud in a mix. There is no reason at all to have effects in a synth patch/voice when they are available in your DAW and mixing a patch delay or reverb, for example, into a mix is likely to just cause confusion. Rocketing a ping-pong alternating pan back and forth across your patch may sound INCREDIBLE!!! for about a half dozen beats as a solo, but is musically less than useless. Take the presets and start removing the crap and you may find some good leads. 
    kakku
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1646
    Re: Lead synth sounds 2016/02/12 09:43:29 (permalink)
    Sorry for my late response. I will try the suggested tips and the synths when I get to my second daw, my primary is kind of trapped. I am grateful for the answers and tips and I will continue my hunt for good new lead sounds.

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
    kakku
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Lead synth sounds 2016/02/12 09:51:21 (permalink)
    slartabartfast
     Rocketing a ping-pong alternating pan back and forth across your patch may sound INCREDIBLE!!! for about a half dozen beats as a solo, but is musically less than useless. 

Come off it, that sounds awesome in ANY genre!

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1