Low volume level when exporting to MP3

Author
MarioMathy
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2016/02/11 11:41:47 (permalink)

Low volume level when exporting to MP3

Dear friends,

I'm working with SONAR Platinum and also purchased an MP3 Encoder + CA-2A T-Type Leveling Amplifier.
Whenever I try to export my project to an MP3-file, the volume is not as high as desired (it sounds a bit weak).

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Thanks guys

6 Replies Related Threads

arlen2133
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 601
    Re: Low volume level when exporting to MP3 2016/02/11 17:57:56 (permalink)
    You can try this.  Works and also gives you an opportunity to hear (and see) what's going on when you export.

1) export your song as a wave file...
    2) open new project (typically at the same tempo but not totally necessary)
    3) input your wave file BACK into Sonar (input/audio)
    4) take a look at the wave file (is it smallish?).. At this point you can bring up the volume but make sure that don't over shoot it.  Best to use a limiter on the Master bus.
    5) RE-Export your file (this time you can go as a MP3 if you like
    6) listen to results (of course if it's TOO loud at this point, go back and do #4 and #5 over)

With a little practice, this will go rather quickly.
    Hope it helps.

Arlen
    aka
    Mr Grant
    my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

tenfoot
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2186
    Re: Low volume level when exporting to MP3 2016/02/11 20:01:20 (permalink)
    I would ad to Arlen's suggestion that when you re-import the wave file you could simply use the process-normalise function,  then export as MP3. 

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    AllanH
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re: Low volume level when exporting to MP3 2016/02/11 21:49:18 (permalink)
    MarioMathy
    Dear friends,
    I'm working with SONAR Platinum and also purchased an MP3 Encoder + CA-2A T-Type Leveling Amplifier.
    Whenever I try to export my project to an MP3-file, the volume is not as high as desired (it sounds a bit weak).
    Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Here is my guess, and what I would start with: It's "too quiet" because you're not fully utilizing the entire dynamic range, and that the dynamics primarily is soft.

Add the Sonitis:compressor to the master bus
    Set a knee of -24bd and 2:1 compression and add 12 db makeup gain.
    Then add a limiter after the compressor to avoid overdrive (optional)

You'll need to experiment with the knee and make-up gain. My guess is that -24db plus 12 in makeup is a good starting point given your description.

If you don't understand what any of this means (I didn't at some point), start Googling compression in the context of audio and read the help files.

Finally, there are good pro-channel compressors, but unless you understand what they do, it's hard to make sense of the prochannel UIs. The Sonitus compressor has a simple and accurate UI reflecting the parameters.

Then render to WAV and give it a listen. It should be louder and move vibrant.

Allan

Sonar Platinum, EWHO/D, Spitfire, Miroslav, Pianoteq, ....,  Kurzweil.
    arlen2133
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 601
    Re: Low volume level when exporting to MP3 2016/02/11 23:52:42 (permalink)
    Here is a video posted by one of guys on the Sonar Facebook page:

https://youtu.be/bjGMLVwB9jk 

Arlen
    aka
    Mr Grant
    my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Low volume level when exporting to MP3 2016/02/12 07:36:20 (permalink)
    Make sure your Main Out faders are set to 0dB before exporting.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Low volume level when exporting to MP3 2016/02/12 13:32:22 (permalink)
    arlen2133
    You can try this.  Works and also gives you an opportunity to hear (and see) what's going on when you export.

1) export your song as a wave file...
    2) open new project (typically at the same tempo but not totally necessary)
    3) input your wave file BACK into Sonar (input/audio)

Hidden in this advice is an important test. If the wave file you are exporting has too little saturation as well as the MP3, then it can be concluded that it is not the MP3 export that is the cause of the problem. In that case the MP3 is accurately compressing a wave file that has the same unwanted characteristic. Another way of examining the same issue is to use another MP3 encoder (there are a gazillion free ones) to compress the exported wave file and compare the Sonar MP3 export with that.

The problem with listening to an MP3 vs a wave is that the player(s) you are using may not apply the same gain to the input file. MP3 players are notorious for having a built in (sometimes not adjustable) "normalization" function for example. When people say something is not "loud" it really says very little, since a soft recording can be made to sound loud and vice versa with a volume knob. What they are usually talking about is that it has not been compressed as much as they want. A recording with a wide dynamic range (high levels approaching clipping and lows much lower) will sound softer/quieter than a recording that has been compressed (high levels approaching clipping and lows raised as well) and will have a higher RMS digitally and electrically, and a higher dBspl when played at the same gain from the same player. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1