Stop putting notes/events in clips automatically (needing manual fixing) Let user decide

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/10 16:37:11 (permalink)
Here's another scenario:

I play an entire song in using a piano plug. Then I decide the left hand should be played by a bass guitar plug.

I set the PRV length to see the entire song,  lasso all the left-hand notes (Ctrl+mouseclick those that escape),
and now: Right mouse button menu > Choose "Group notes in a Clip"
Finally, in the Track view (Clips), I Shift+move the entire clip to a Bass Guitar instrument track.
The right hand piano part stays put. No clip needed for them.

Finally, I decide to ungroup the Bass Guitar notes.
With the Bass clip selected, I go: Right mouse button menu > Choose "Ungroup notes from Clip"

Yes, I know, there's other ways of doing it. Just another example.
KPerry
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3120
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/11 02:24:26 (permalink)
jpetersen
No. No enforced clip membership requirement at all.
A clip is just a convenience. It allows grouping notes and moving them together. That's all it is.

@KPerry: In your model, one would need to free a note from it's clip, then join it to another note's clip. An unnecessary extra step.  But sure, allow the user to select a single note and create a clip around it. But let the user decide. Don't enforce it.

Release notes from the tyrrany of clips! Freedom for all notes!

I meant as an option on create, so you wouldn't need to "do" anything to make them into clips or distinct.
twelvetone
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 70
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/11 04:52:13 (permalink)
I can go for this.
Clips are so unwieldy, I gave up on them long ago.
I want to use them, but not the way it works now.
jpetersen
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/11 13:53:41 (permalink)
KPerry
I meant as an option on create, so you wouldn't need to "do" anything to make them into clips or distinct.

Even as an option, what's the use? You then need to "undo" everything to make them into what you need.

I want that time to move my project forward.
KPerry
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3120
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/12 03:40:05 (permalink)
In which case, I have no idea what you want - I propose an option to *not* group notes into clips but to leave one note per clip, which is apparently what you want, and you say you then need to add an extra step.  Makes no sense at all.
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/12 05:14:07 (permalink)
KPerry
In which case, I have no idea what you want - I propose an option to *not* group notes into clips but to leave one note per clip, which is apparently what you want, and you say you then need to add an extra step.  Makes no sense at all.

I guess he wants:
1) (invisible) full track length MIDI clip on every track
2) to which all notes goes by default
3) other MIDI clips are created by "Group notes in clip" menu option and then "locked" all the time
4) in the Track view, overlapped MIDI clips are shown as with Take Lanes opened and the clips in different lanes (transparent)
5) overlapped clips in the PRV are shown the same way as clips from different tracks (colored)

What I do not understand:
a) for what all that is good
b) the examples, especially #31 which make no sense for me. I often split one track into many:
b.1) copy the clip and then remove notes, in case I want original clip stay as it is. Or...
b.2) focus target track, set Now time to the first note I want in it (or to some other position I want), select/cut required notes and paste. Or...
b.3) copy/cut/paste in PRV with several tracks opened, using visibility and locks to keep the source and the target under control.

And so I do not understand the whole topic. The only bug which annoys me a bit is that "Undo" history shows wrong description for notes copy/paste (the text is from different previous operation). It still works correct, so no real problem there.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
williamcopper
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/12 11:04:50 (permalink)
It's pretty clear this concept is not being appreciated very well --- whenever there are some highly negative votes, as here, there is usually misunderstanding. 

The beginning of Aslow's summary seemed clearest for what's wanted:  allow a user to put notes, controllers, patch changes, aftertouch events, etc, into a track.   Call that an "invisible clip" if you must, but let it be not only invisible but never needing to be touched, extended, bounced, or modified.    Because of undo problems, paste problems, and mysterious crashes I spend a fair amount of every single workday grouping clps together and 'bouncing to clip' -- not because I want a big clip, just to avoid crashes and bugs.   I also create thousands of clips, as probably does the OP, because of how all the midi data gets created.    Right now, current medium small project has 8000+ midi events and nearly all of them started life as a single event "clip" ... not a good implementation, and not what most people think of when they imagine clips as maybe 20 or 30 well-defined looping units put together for a song.

For those who like to work on a clip basis, let it be an option, even a default, to keep things as they are now.  Surely Fruity Loops would be a good model for how to manage clips better than Sonar, for this group of people. 
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/12 12:00:11 (permalink)
Select the MIDI track strip itself > right-click on any clip > choose Bounce to Clips and the result is a single MIDI clip.    Maybe that's one reason I also have been missing the critical nature of this request, because getting a single clip (when desired) is so simple.   Creating separate clips from one track length clip is less so. 

But it's also the visual aspect that still doesn't make sense to me....   William states "Call that an "invisible clip" if you must, but let it be not only invisible but never needing to be touched, extended, bounced, or modified."    So what exactly would one see in the Track View that represent the existence of MIDI data?   

I don't really think it's an "appreciation" thing as much as just not mentally visualizing on the same page. 

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

williamcopper
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/12 12:19:08 (permalink)
SteveC, bouncing to clips one time is fast and easy, but believe it or not in the course of a project I have to do it hundreds, maybe thousands of times.    So that means select, access a function, and do it, and then attempt to get back the focus on the music that was lost by having to undertake a work-around.   

As to what to see?   My "track view" is usually set to "clips" as an option, so I see gray boxes with little lines in them representing midi events --- what's so unusual about wanting to see only the little lines and no gray box? 

If I change the view to "notes" as an option, the tonal difference is so washed out I can't see anything without a zoom factor way beyond what is comfortable for music work, but when zoomed then I see essentially a washedout version of the same thing, when selected, or medium gray when not selected -- either way, the box representing the clip is a visual impairment, it offers no good information.

If I change to the "in-line" view, which I don't like visually and never remember how to do and which is in some odd different menu selector, then again clips do not add anything of value.
post edited by williamcopper - 2016/02/12 12:25:26
azslow3
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/12 12:35:56 (permalink)
I think I slowly starting to understand the point...

Sonar is "classic" style recording oriented, also in MIDI. I mean even in case you record something like that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdH1hSWGFGU you still get just one clip. And as with normal instruments recording, it is good to have "Take 4" information, clear see what you have recorded as last, A/B different performances and so on.

But as soon as you start "one finger" recording in a loop or composing by adding separate notes at arbitrary locations, the number of "clip-notes" explodes. Sonar can not record looping into one clip, it can not life record into Step Sequencer and it can not record into Matrix. And so it is simply not the right tool for doing such things. For composing with mouse I think pre-creating track-long clips should be not much disturbing workaround, while that still does not solve the problem with MIDI input.

So, (2) should be rewritten as "enable recording MIDI into existing clips, by default into the (invisible) track-long clip".

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
williamcopper
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/12 14:00:44 (permalink)
Good clarification, Aslow --- yes, some of us work on a piece of music like a painter --- a dab here, a dab there, ending up with months of dabbing to build up a composition.   Nothing is 'preconceived" and entered in a long stream, except where simply sequencing existing material.  
stevec
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/12 14:14:32 (permalink)
Thanks, it is getting clearer....   perhaps two enable/disable options then: "Use existing MIDI clip(s)" along with "display clip boundaries"?    I changed Aslow's description slightly because manually entering notes in the PRV isn't really "recording" per se.   Same idea though in the end. 

SteveC

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

jpetersen
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/12 16:44:13 (permalink)
KPerry

I didn't explain properly. No clips at all unless the user wants it. Not even single note clips.

Try free your mind from the necessity of clips.
To imagine this, open the PRV and turn off View>Show Clip Outlines. Now the clips are invisible. That is how the world looked before clips were invented.

My point is:
Clips are good. But clips a convenience, no more. They make it easier to move events together in a group. The user should be allowed to group notes/events only if needed.

Instead Sonar requires EVERYTHING to be in clips.
And worse, Sonar tries to guess which clips to put your stuff into and inevitably gets it wrong, meaning extra work unpicking the mess Sonar has made.
post edited by jpetersen - 2016/02/13 08:44:53
jpetersen
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/12 16:55:45 (permalink)
Here is another scenario: The opening 4 bars of 2001 Space Odyssey (3 long notes).
I play the 3 notes on my keyboard using a trumpet sound.

The first, lowest note starts at bar 1 and extends for 4 bars.
The second starts at bar 2 and extends for 3 bars.
The third at 3 for 2 bars.

Now I want the lowest note to be played on another track with a pipe organ sound.

Sonar has already decided to put all 3 notes into a clip. I do not want this. So I have to:
1) Split the clip between bars 1 and 2,
2) Drag the left clip into the pipe organ track
3) Extend the length of the clip to 4 bars, revealing the fact that it has also copied the other 2 notes
4) Delete the other two excess notes.

If clips were optional, I could:
1) On the lowest note do Rightmouse>Choose "Group notes in a Clip". Yes, I have created a single-note clip! :)
2) Drag it into my pipe organ track.
post edited by jpetersen - 2016/02/12 17:54:38
jpetersen
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/12 17:04:45 (permalink)
Folks often suggest the following workaround:
Select everything in a bar, bounce, then snip the result into clips as required.

This is already problematic if you have song sections that overlap, as I have described with my "Blueberry Hill" example.

And it is only possible to do the first time around.

Because if you later come back to do editing, adding bits, replay a bar or two, you again end up with Sonar's automated clipping algorithm. Bouncing everything now will destroy previous work. You have no option but to unpick the pre-emptive clipping Sonar insists on doing.
post edited by jpetersen - 2016/02/12 17:55:31
azslow3
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/12 18:58:02 (permalink)
jpetersen
Now I want the lowest note to be played on another track with a pipe organ sound.

Sonar has already decided to put all 3 notes into a clip. I do not want this. So I have to:
1) Split the clip between bars 1 and 2,
2) Drag the left clip into the pipe organ track
3) Extend the length of the clip to 4 bars, revealing the fact that it has also copied the other 2 notes
4) Delete the other two excess notes.

If clips were optional, I could:
1) On the lowest note do Rightmouse>Choose "Group notes in a Clip". Yes, I have created a single-note clip! :)
2) Drag it into my pipe organ track.

Sorry, but I will ask one more time:

Why you do not (want to) cut the first note and paste it into organ track? You can control how it is places, as new clip or into existing clip.

While as you could see I more or less understand some problems, your examples still puzzle me...

jpetersen
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/12 21:17:14 (permalink)
Because it's quicker. 2 steps instead of 4. It's easier to understand if you try the steps yourself.

In fact, I tried it and discovered the original note stays hidden in the clip in the first track. If you stretch the beginning of the clip back to the original starting point, the first note reappears. So if you decide later to add another note in the bar before this one, Sonar will automatically stretch the clip to include the new note, and suddenly the note you thought you had clipped out and moved away is back again! So you have to stretch the clip and delete the first note from the original clip - 5 steps in total.

Try it. You'll see.

Now imagine doing this, day in, day out, over many projects. I am so tired of it.

>> You can control how it is places, as new clip or into existing clip.
I don't understand what you mean, sorry.
post edited by jpetersen - 2016/02/12 21:42:33
jpetersen
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/12 21:42:13 (permalink)
You responded to the situation I mentioned when a bar has notes that should be grouped into 2 different clips, verse and chorus and the notes are mixed in that bar ("Blueberry Hill").

Your suggestion was:

1) split at second bar
2) in PRV, select and cut notes from the first bar which are from chorus
3) lock verse clip
4) paste notes, that creates new clip
5) merge this new clip with chorus

You are right, of course. But so much work?
It would be so much faster just to lasso those notes that belong to the verse and do Rightmouse>"Group notes in a Clip". Then lasso those for the chorus and do the same. Done.

But for this to be possible, Sonar must stop automatically putting events in clips. Sonar does not know the difference between a Verse and a Chorus. Only a human does. So let the human do it.

I tried WilliamCopper's example. In the event view, I added a program change event.
And exactly like he said, Sonar put it in one of the existing clips. So now, if I move the notes in that clip, I also move the program change! Why does Sonar think I want to do that? So I have to snip out the program change, move it away, bounce the two clips to close the hole, go to the clip with the program change and remove all the notes that are still in it - and FINALLY I have a clip with only the program change. And all I wanted was a program change at bar 21. I don't even need a clip for that.

Clips are supposed to help. But they don't.

Sometimes I feel as if I am the only person using midi in Sonar. I really do.

post edited by jpetersen - 2016/02/12 21:56:44
stevec
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/12 23:23:10 (permalink)
jpetersen
Because it's quicker. 2 steps instead of 4. It's easier to understand if you try the steps yourself.

In fact, I tried it and discovered the original note stays hidden in the clip in the first track. If you stretch the beginning of the clip back to the original starting point, the first note reappears. So if you decide later to add another note in the bar before this one, Sonar will automatically stretch the clip to include the new note, and suddenly the note you thought you had clipped out and moved away is back again! So you have to stretch the clip and delete the first note from the original clip - 5 steps in total.

Try it. You'll see.

Now imagine doing this, day in, day out, over many projects. I am so tired of it.

Try this instead...   Assuming all three notes are in the same clip, drag across measure one (right-left or left-right) so that portion of the four bar MIDI clip is selected.  Now Ctrl+Drag that region down to the destination MIDI track.    I think that might also work for the other two notes. 

SteveC

Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);

azslow3
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/13 05:21:39 (permalink)
jpetersen
You responded to the situation I mentioned when a bar has notes that should be grouped into 2 different clips, verse and chorus and the notes are mixed in that bar ("Blueberry Hill").

Your suggestion was:

1) split at second bar
2) in PRV, select and cut notes from the first bar which are from chorus
3) lock verse clip
4) paste notes, that creates new clip
5) merge this new clip with chorus

You are right, of course. But so much work?
It would be so much faster just to lasso those notes that belong to the verse and do Rightmouse>"Group notes in a Clip". Then lasso those for the chorus and do the same. Done.

Ok, I have got it
My "philosophy" is just a bit different in such cases. I first do split approximately at parts changes, still in the track view. Than (not always immediately) open PRV to adjust on note level. But I agree, when looking in total that is slower.

So, lets return to the "fast" methods: after you have selected chorus notes, position "Now" at first one (one click), "Ctrl-X", select verse (one click, may be croping its length if desired), "Alt-E" (my current binding to lock click), "Ctrl+V" create chorus by pasting, "Alt-E" (unlock verse). 2 shortcuts more vs verse notes selection. I think a good deal.

jpetersen
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/13 06:59:22 (permalink)
@azslow3: Ah! I always make a copy somewhere else, then drag back into position.
"Lock Data" makes repositioning unnecessary. Thank you!

@stevec: That just gives me a cropped copy of the original clip.
When I stretch it to hear the full length of the note, the other 2 notes appear.

But these are workarounds for what are everyday housekeeping tasks.

To unleash the full power of clips, let the user decide when to use one.
And by implication, free notes from the obligation of being in a clip.
jpetersen
Re: Please remove the need for MIDI notes to be in a clip - esp. the current algorithm 2016/02/13 07:37:24 (permalink)
@stevec: What you have revealed is that splitting midi clips does not divide the notes into two clips, as one might intuitively suppose. Both clips still contain all notes.

So if the user later manually adds a note nearby and Sonar extends the clip to fit the new note, old notes assumed to have been removed by splitting suddenly reappear.

To be safe it's best to copy a clip, remove unwanted notes from both clips, and only then resize as required.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1