Helpful ReplyFace to Face with Rick Wakeman

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/03 15:27:35 (permalink)
Craig, I like to find music you haven't got in your collection, just to annoy you..

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/03 15:37:21 (permalink)
craigb
I try to both categorize all of the songs I have, but not get caught up in the whole naming game.  My goal is to simply group music by songs that sound good together.  Then, if I really wanted to completely mix styles, it would be my choice not the default.  I tend to listen to styles/genres/subgenres/etc. based on whatever mood I happen to be in and I have a LOT of different things to choose from!  In many cases, without shuffle-playing a subsection of my music, I have found that I would have completely missed out on stuff that's really good but obscure.  Quite often I'll have to look to see what's playing when I hear something I'm not familiar with that sounds good.

So, when I refer to something as "Prog," it typically means music that is labelled as such in general by most people. I don't get into the debates and arguments about whether a certain artist is "Progressive" or not (heck, Beethoven could be argued to have been progressive at his time!).

Most people with smaller song collections also tend to stick with a relatively small area of music that they prefer.  I have at least 250,000 songs that are all over the place: Classical, New Wave, New Age, Progressive, Rock (in many, many forms), Metal (also in many forms), Electonic (Trance, Techno, Ambient, House, etc., etc., etc.), Psychedelic, Punk, Ska, Reggae, Latin, Celtic, Dance, Pop, Soul, Funk, Folk, World, R&B, Industrial and lots of kinds of Jazz.  Heck, I even have too much inherited music like Easy Listening and Big Band.  My hard drive with the media player is currently down so I can't check these, but I'm sure I've even missed one or two.

Some of those subgenres I'm rarely in the mood for, others I can listen to every day.  I really don't want them all mixed together!

Pedro?  did you steal Craig's (IFHRN) password????

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/03 15:46:10 (permalink)
Beagle
craigb
I try to both categorize all of the songs I have, but not get caught up in the whole naming game.  My goal is to simply group music by songs that sound good together.  Then, if I really wanted to completely mix styles, it would be my choice not the default.  I tend to listen to styles/genres/subgenres/etc. based on whatever mood I happen to be in and I have a LOT of different things to choose from!  In many cases, without shuffle-playing a subsection of my music, I have found that I would have completely missed out on stuff that's really good but obscure.  Quite often I'll have to look to see what's playing when I hear something I'm not familiar with that sounds good.

So, when I refer to something as "Prog," it typically means music that is labelled as such in general by most people. I don't get into the debates and arguments about whether a certain artist is "Progressive" or not (heck, Beethoven could be argued to have been progressive at his time!).

Most people with smaller song collections also tend to stick with a relatively small area of music that they prefer.  I have at least 250,000 songs that are all over the place: Classical, New Wave, New Age, Progressive, Rock (in many, many forms), Metal (also in many forms), Electonic (Trance, Techno, Ambient, House, etc., etc., etc.), Psychedelic, Punk, Ska, Reggae, Latin, Celtic, Dance, Pop, Soul, Funk, Folk, World, R&B, Industrial and lots of kinds of Jazz.  Heck, I even have too much inherited music like Easy Listening and Big Band.  My hard drive with the media player is currently down so I can't check these, but I'm sure I've even missed one or two.

Some of those subgenres I'm rarely in the mood for, others I can listen to every day.  I really don't want them all mixed together!

Pedro?  did you steal Craig's (IFHRN) password????

*Pfft...*  You didn't see any "Hi," starting that did you? 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
craigb
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/03 15:47:10 (permalink)
And what the heck is "IFHRN" anyway? 

Beagle
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/03 15:48:56 (permalink)
craigb

Ifits frickin His Real Name.

Duh.

craigb
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/03 15:50:24 (permalink)
Beagle
craigb

Ifits frickin His Real Name.

Duh.

Beagle!  I'm shocked!  Do you kiss your Mom with that dirty mouth?

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/04 20:32:40 (permalink)
Glyn Barnes
tlw
Hawkwind prog? I wouldn't have said so myself. Psychedelia yes, space-rock definitely, but "prog" no. Nor Peter Gabriel's post-Genesis work.

Prog, as a genre, or progressive music??
I can't recall "prog" as a genre until quite recently, in the 70's progressive music refered to almost anything experimental, different (i.e. progressive) It could be argured that much of the stuff released now in the "prog" genre is in fact regressive.

Of course not content to categorise things as just “Prog” someone with far too much time on their hands has come up with innumerable sub-genres of which this list is a small part.

I think, should you wish to, you could catagorise Gabriel's post Genesis work as "crossover prog" 

I read one review saying that Luna Rossa were not “Prog” but it was genre deifying, drawing on elements of jazz, folk, rock and classical. To me that is progressive.

Or maybe it's "fusion"....

Nowadays every time a member quits a band and starts a very similar new one someone invents a new genre name for the result. The proliferation of genre names got past ridiculous a decade ago.

Me, I generally go by a simple two-category system for what I listen to. I like it or I don't like it, and from time to time I find I now like something I once didn't.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
craigb
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/05 02:12:47 (permalink)
Person A - "I think it's Fizzy!"
Person B - "I don't know, it sounds more like Proto-Pickle to me."
Person C - "Are you sure it's not Post-Tilly?"
Person D - "Could be, but then it could also be Progressive Coffee Buzz too!"

Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/05 09:34:10 (permalink)
tlw
Glyn Barnes

I read one review saying that Luna Rossa were not “Prog” but it was genre deifying, drawing on elements of jazz, folk, rock and classical. To me that is progressive.

Or maybe it's "fusion"....

Nowadays every time a member quits a band and starts a very similar new one someone invents a new genre name for the result. The proliferation of genre names got past ridiculous a decade ago.

This is the hard part of the "progressive" descriptions ... it's strictly based on 3 bands, and that's that. So when I say that Incredible String Band is "progressive folk", folks look at me with the eyes crossed. Likewise, when I say that Guru Guru fits, they don't like it, because the band does not use keyboards ...

The description is wrong, and should not be about a "sound". Should be about the musical design and ideas, and the progressive design is not going to get acceptance in the music world properly until it grows up and cleans up its description, and definition, because right now, it is a bad one designed by uneducated children that never heard music, and think that 4 players is "music" and an "orchestra" is not.

Aside from that, of the list above of his shows the one I would love to see is Neil Innes ... one of the most creative forces in that list of things ... doing music for Bonzo Dog Band, Monty Python, Grimms, and his own ... on top of being the chairman of the "How Sweet to be an Idiot" club ... of which, Rick Wakeman is a emeritus member, even if he was stuck up and did not wear his duck cap on that interview!
post edited by Moshkito - 2016/02/22 16:07:06

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
jamesg1213
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/05 10:00:14 (permalink)
Moshkito

Musical talent is questionable, when all he is doing is playing classical scales on different instruments at the same time, and there is very little "progressive" in his own touch and design ... turn off the electricity and watch his talent go down the drain ... just classical mumbo jumbo.

Pedro, you really have to be kidding. The man is a consummate, highly skilled musician. He also doesn't need electricity to play piano.

Jyemz

Moshkito
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/05 10:11:14 (permalink)
jamesg1213
Moshkito

Musical talent is questionable, when all he is doing is playing classical scales on different instruments at the same time, and there is very little "progressive" in his own touch and design ... turn off the electricity and watch his talent go down the drain ... just classical mumbo jumbo.

Pedro, you really have to be kidding. The man is a consummate, highly skilled musician. He also doesn't need electricity to play piano.

Don't get me wrong, he is very good, but hardly "progressive" in my book. Out right incredible and never get credit for excellent "progressive" keyboard work would be guys like the one for Amon Duul 2 in the early days, the one for Banco, and the two keyboard players in Ange ... the work Rick did with YES is nice  ... but the popular side of things is not considered as important because it is simpler and not developed beyond a riff. And a lot of it, are classical music riffs. YES, Rick does know his music history! No question there.

post edited by Moshkito - 2016/02/22 16:08:50

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
jamesg1213
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/05 10:49:11 (permalink)
I don't care whether you deem it 'progressive' or 'regressive', all I know is I'd give my eye teeth to play like him.

Musical talent is questionable

Again, you have to be kidding.

No electricity here;

post edited by jamesg1213 - 2016/02/05 11:06:01

Jyemz

Beagle
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/05 10:57:13 (permalink)
Moshkito

Rick ... if he stopped tearing TFTO, I would appreciate him more. otherwise he is just a pop junkie talking to stars to validate his own stardom. Musical talent is questionable, when all he is doing is playing classical scales on different instruments at the same time, and there is very little "progressive" in his own touch and design ... turn off the electricity and watch his talent go down the drain ... just classical mumbo jumbo.

I would respect you more if you didn't make ridiculous statements like this.  pop junkie? Wakeman????  can't play without electricity? wow, I'm dumbfounded.

Moshkito
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/05 11:03:06 (permalink)
Beagle
Moshkito

Rick ... if he stopped tearing TFTO, I would appreciate him more. otherwise he is just a pop junkie talking to stars to validate his own stardom. Musical talent is questionable, when all he is doing is playing classical scales on different instruments at the same time, and there is very little "progressive" in his own touch and design ... turn off the electricity and watch his talent go down the drain ... just classical mumbo jumbo.

I would respect you more if you didn't make ridiculous statements like this.  pop junkie? Wakeman????  can't play without electricity? wow, I'm dumbfounded.

(Cleaned up , btw!)

... I did not say I didn't dislike him. I just think that that there are others out there that have as good, if not better, but you have to have an ear for hearing different things ... the ones that are not publicized and christened with the commercial stamp!

Again, there is more music, and to me, Rick, is fine. But measuring best or worse or great ... is a dead end for all of us! 
post edited by Moshkito - 2016/02/22 16:10:58

Beagle
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/05 11:04:47 (permalink)
Moshkito
Beagle
Moshkito

Sometimes, one just can't conceive of it at all ... I did not say I didn't dislike him. I just think that that there are others out there that have as good, if not better ear for music, but you don't have an ear for hearing it ... except the ones that are publicized and christened with the commercial stamp!

Again, there is more music, and to me, Rick, is the E. Power Biggs of rock music! Loud ... but hardly impressive!

I don't know why I started reading your posts again.  have a good day, Pedro.  

Moshkito
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/05 11:15:42 (permalink)
Beagle
Moshkito
Beagle
Moshkito

Sometimes, one just can't conceive of it at all ... I did not say I didn't dislike him. I just think that that there are others out there that have as good, if not better ear for music, but you don't have an ear for hearing it ... except the ones that are publicized and christened with the commercial stamp!

Again, there is more music, and to me, Rick, is the E. Power Biggs of rock music! Loud ... but hardly impressive!

I don't know why I started reading your posts again.  have a good day, Pedro.  

It's hard to say anything, since you have someone that does not agree with the popular vision of things ... and the fact that the conversation becomes one sided. Because I see it different and have heard different things,, you make it like I'm wrong and can not have an opinion, That's not fair!

I could be wrong, but making a small judgment on a musician of pop music is not one of them, when considering the length and breadth of music listening experience and collection of music, but going back to even more classical music than rock music ... these comparisons of mine are a bit more than just some well known pop music and songs ... and if you have not given the other material a reasonable listen, then, I do not feel that you are commenting fairly on it at all, and instead stating that my comments are bad!

Wake up to music, not just songs! We're all caught in the commercialized world of it, and England and America are the two most publicized and developed and thus, everything and everyone has to fit in that loop and the rest is crap. That's simply not true!

Again, Rick is very good, no beef there, but he is hardly the best or the most important.  There are many others around the world just as good, if not better ... and btw, some of them even have an Oscar in their closet and are well known for being "composers", instead of just rock musicians. Rick deserves better, and I will always agree to that.
post edited by Moshkito - 2016/02/22 16:16:17

jamesg1213
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/05 11:23:24 (permalink)
Had enough, blocked him.

Jyemz

craigb
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/05 12:07:07 (permalink)
Well, in a different dimension where McDonald's is fine vegan cuisine and not fast food, ...  oh, never mind.

beltrom
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 306
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/05 13:25:37 (permalink)
I will absolutely check out some of those interviews. Interesting. Thanks bitflipper!

But where did the lists go? I like lists...

The albums below are probably good enough to always stay in my top 30 no matter what mood I'm in. They're all old friends that has been with me since I was really young, in most cases my teens.

Genesis - Foxtrot
King Crimson - Starless and bible black
Van der Graaf Generator - Still life
Gryphon - Red queen to Gryphon three
Pink Floyd - Animals
The Enid - In the region of the summer stars
Camel - Moonmadness
Jethro Tull - The broadsword and the beast
BJH - Gone to earth
Rush - 2112

jamesg1213
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/05 13:38:38 (permalink)
beltrom

My favourite Tull album. I have a remastered version on CD with a ton of extra tracks like 'I Am Your Gun' and 'Down at The End of Your Road', that was a very productive time for Anderson, he was really cranking out the tunes back then.

Jyemz

beltrom
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/05 14:58:33 (permalink)
jamesg1213
beltrom

My favourite Tull album. I have a remastered version on CD with a ton of extra tracks like 'I Am Your Gun' and 'Down at The End of Your Road', that was a very productive time for Anderson, he was really cranking out the tunes back then.

And at a time when many others seemed to drop off the radar or go more or less mainstream. You notice it's the 80's but they do it in a very "Tullish" way.
craigb
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/05 17:04:48 (permalink)
beltrom
I will absolutely check out some of those interviews. Interesting. Thanks bitflipper!

But where did the lists go? I like lists...

The albums below are probably good enough to always stay in my top 30 no matter what mood I'm in. They're all old friends that has been with me since I was really young, in most cases my teens.

Genesis - Foxtrot
King Crimson - Starless and bible black
Van der Graaf Generator - Still life
Gryphon - Red queen to Gryphon three
Pink Floyd - Animals
The Enid - In the region of the summer stars
Camel - Moonmadness
BJH - Gone to earth
Rush - 2112

I wonder how many people will get your BJH reference?  Barclay James Harvest isn't exactly one of the even somewhat known band names.  I like this list though! 

beltrom
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/06 01:18:52 (permalink)
craigb
I wonder how many people will get your BJH reference?  Barclay James Harvest isn't exactly one of the even somewhat known band names.  I like this list though! 

Maybe, not really sure how well known BJH are. Back in the seventies and early eighties I got all of their albums and I've "restocked" in CD to some extent. They're one of those bands I turn to when I've had a tough day and just want sit down and relax to something.

Nice that you liked the list! I kind of get that you did as we both liked the ones from previous page. We seem to be quite a few here that are into the "proggier" side of things.
craigb
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/06 04:12:23 (permalink)
I really was exposed to it late so I've been having a blast trying out all the great music out there.  When I was young, you'd hear something you like and find it's their first album so you had to wait and wait until their next album came out (except for Boston where it was more like wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and ...).  What I like best about all of these new (to me) bands is that, if I like them, they all have more albums out to try!

jamesg1213
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/06 09:00:38 (permalink)
beltrom
craigb

Maybe, not really sure how well known BJH are. Back in the seventies and early eighties I got all of their albums and I've "restocked" in CD to some extent. They're one of those bands I turn to when I've had a tough day and just want sit down and relax to something.

Nice that you liked the list! I kind of get that you did as we both liked the ones from previous page. We seem to be quite a few here that are into the "proggier" side of things.

BJH were big in the UK up until punk came along, then they disappeared. I think they stayed popular in Europe though. I remember a friend of mine had a double-live album that we used to play a lot. 'Crazy City' was a good one as I recall.

Jyemz

Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/06 09:02:17 (permalink)
craigb

They were quite well known in the UK in the 70's. I saw them once and they were very good live. If fact the double live album IMHO surpassed their studio recordings.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
Moshkito
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/06 10:39:13 (permalink)
craigb

NP: Mockingbird
NP: Medicine Man (Live Album along with Summer Soldier)

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/06 12:26:37 (permalink)
Listening to one of my all-time faves this morning: Songs from the Wood by Jethro Tull. Hadn't heard it in a long time, so it brought a big smile. IMO the perfect compromise between accessible, hum-able melodies and artful musicianship.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/11 15:58:46 (permalink)
Ahh, a passionate debate about prog. rock and a fallout as to whether Russ Conway or Rick Wakeman were the greater of the 20th century keyboard innovators.

This must be the Sonar forum I know and love.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
jamesg1213
Re: Face to Face with Rick Wakeman 2016/02/11 16:10:04 (permalink)
Jonbouy
Ahh, a passionate debate about prog. rock and a fallout as to whether Russ Conway or Rick Wakeman were the greater of the 20th century keyboard innovators.

This must be the Sonar forum I know and love.

Joe Bravo, Mike McCue and Roflcoptor will be along any minute to have a protracted argument on a point-by-point basis with you about that.

Or will they....

Jyemz

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1