External mixers - just curious

Author
Jeffiphone
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 173
2016/02/09 15:18:57 (permalink)

External mixers - just curious

Looking at the post a while back where members showed us their home studios, I noticed some had external hardware mixers. I'm just an amateur, but I do all my mixing on the Console in Sonar. So I was just curious as why some folks use external mixers/boards.

Acer with i7 processer - Sonar Platinum 64bit - Windows 10 64 bit - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) -

16 Replies Related Threads

Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: External mixers - just curious 2016/02/09 15:23:36 (permalink)
    They can be very useful even if you do all your mixing in Sonar, for instance if you use them create zero latency monitor mixes for the performer, or if you like to play your synths without having to boot your computer/Sonar, or if you have too many sources to hook up to your interface all at once. 
    post edited by Sanderxpander - 2016/02/10 02:10:14
    pfossi
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re: External mixers - just curious 2016/02/09 15:33:05 (permalink)
    I use my Behringer UFX1204 mixer so that I can leave my microphones, keyboards, Synth, and whatever else plugged into it own channel. That way, I don't have to "set up" for a recording session. Everything is already prepared for it's next turn.
    Zargg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: External mixers - just curious 2016/02/09 15:45:28 (permalink)
    Hi. When I had / used a mixer, it was because of lack of preamps in my Audio Interface.
    And as Sander said, they are quite useful with regards to monitor mixes, and to hook up (more) external equipment.
    All the best.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

orangesporanges
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 342
    Re: External mixers - just curious 2016/02/09 16:03:26 (permalink)
    My situation most mimics Sander's I have a lot of outboard gear that I don't always want going through Sonar just to play/jam. Used a MACKIE 1202 until it started making some noise after about 12 years of use. Bought another one.
    Also a great way to mic up a drum set if you have a limited amount of inputs on your audio device.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 64bit, 3.4ghz i7CPU,  16gigs RAM, 1x 1TB SSD system drive 1 x 1TB HDD ( audio only)
    Beepster
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: External mixers - just curious 2016/02/09 16:28:27 (permalink)
    For me I use my Mackie CR1601 as a direct input to my Focusrite Scarlett 18i6.

Essentially the 18i6 only has two XLR inputs (Combo Inputs that take XLR mic ins, line in and HiZ instrument ins depending on the connection and the settings I choose for those connectors). The remaining six inputs on the back are 1/4" line in (only) connections. So if I want to use those inputs on my interface for anything OTHER than a direct line input signal (which I rarely if ever use) then I can use the mixer.

So if I want to use a microphone/XLR on those back inputs I plug them into the mixer. The mixer has "Direct Out" 1/4" taps for each channel. I connect those to the 1/4" line inputs on the back of my interface and now I can record those mics directly into Sonar.

Only the first 8 channels on the mixer has those direct taps but I only have 8 analog inputs on the interface anyway (but the 18i6 can be expanded via the ADAT/Optical in with a breakout box like the FR Octopre). If I needed more channels from the mixer though I could configure various Aux Out schemes, use the main outs or even use a splitter to tap the headphone output.

Whatever, that's beside the point and I stick with the first 8 channels from the mixer and with the 18i6 I only really need 6 to cover the line ins on the back of my interface (I can just use the XLR ins on the front for the other two mics BUT for consistency of the mic pres I might instead use the mixer channel taps then plug those into the multi ins on the front as line ins like the ones on the back).

Confused yet?

Real world scenario 1...

I want to use Multi Input 1 and 2 on the front of my interface for say guitar on input 1 and bass on input 2. I do this because the multi ins on the back don't have Hiz and I don't have DI boxes to hook those instruments into the mixer (or into the back of the interface).

So input Multi In 1 and 2 are stuffed with HiZ 1/4" instrument connections.

Where are my vocals or mics going to plug into?

They go into the mixer using the XLR inputs and out from the channel direct out taps into the 1/4" line inputs on the back of the interface.

Now I can have both instruments going directly into the interface AND have 6 mics going at the same time.

Real world scenario 2...

I am outputting from some gear outboard gear that outputs too hot/too cold/too crappy to go directly to the interface inputs which have limited or no controls (the only controls are the "trim" controls on the multi ins and the HiZ toggle). I want to turn the signal up or down or do some input EQing (the Mackie has a nice 3 band EQ on each channel as well as a very BROAD input gain/trim knob AND fader). Instead of using the multi ins (which only have the trim and hiZ) I can use the mixer into the line inputs and control volume better as well as EQ things a bit before they hit tape. I could also insert some outboard gear into the analog chain (if I had any outpoard gear and set things up correctly).

Real world scenario 3...

If I've got a bunch of Phantom Powered mics and want to use them to record more than two tracks... well the only Phantom Power inputs are the two multi ins on the interface. So if I want to use 3 PP mics I'd be out of luck. However on the Mackie I have the extra module that adds 8 extra XLR inputs (total 16 with the built in mixer connectors) all of which have Phantom Power. Now I can use more than 2 PP mics (and up to 16). Also due to the extra module on the mixer I can turn on Phantom Power for the first 6 (or maybe 8... I forget) XLR inputs and connect dynamic mics to the rest (unfortunately PP is an all or nothing affair on this mixer aside from the extra module).

Sooo... more Phantom Power options which is great for recording acoustic guit or drums of whatever.

Real world scenario 4...

I simply want to use the different mic pres on the Mackie which are quite nice (so are the ones on the 18i6 but they are different).

Real world scenario 5...

I want to create a sub mix of something to record. Like instead of recording a bunch of different tracks I can just use the mixer to capture the room or a feed or whatever and mix it on the board and record a stereo track OR I just want to record the output from my stereo (I've got a large tape collection so I can transfer to digital and have control over input levels on the way into the DAW using the mixer).

Real world scenario 6...

I'm a lazy, crippled bastard who doesn't want to have to reconnect/reroute cables all the time. With the mixer I can keep a bunch of gear I use a lot connected and only turn on the mixer and turn up the appropriate channels when I need to instead of hurting/annoying myself every time.

Real world scenario 7...

I COULD use the mixer to route out to other gear for playback of stuff like from the DAW or audio/video players to various sources but I never do that.

Real world scenario 8 (but a kind of useless one IMO)...

On my board I can set up 8 channels in and 8 channels out for "real time" mixing. That's where you essentially get all your tracks set up and edited in the DAW (like you would using a tape machine or ADAT) then instead of doing a digital "In The Box" mixdown with automation and whatnot you record playback of the raw tracks then "ride the faders" as the computer records it all. That's old school and VERY cool but not particularly practical considering what we are capable of now.... AND that process can be emulated digitally anyway using outboard MIDI control surfaces. Still cool as franz though.

The real answer... as you can see... is flexibility. Interfaces are just very limited in what they can do to an audio signal and once that signal hits the interface's a/d converters it's over. Having that extra routing and signal conditioning options is VERY useful.

Of course some mixers have really great/classic onboard effects too that many of VST plugins out there try to emulate (like our Prochannel strip and third party stuff people pay a FORTUNE for to emulate). If you've got one of those boards just having those effects/preamps is worth running signals through. However that's where plugins beat out the boards in a way... beacuse those old boards and preamps are HUGE, rare and prohibitively expensive. They also need to be maintained. You can get a pile of good plugs to kind of sort of do the same job on a decent signal... which then requires a good input signal... which may require good input gear... like a mixing board or preamp.

lol... never ending circle.

Outboard mixers can be extraordinarily useful BUT also a huge PITA, cause unnecessary noise and unless absolutely needed for something specific best avoided (IME). It of course also depends on the mixer. They are all different and do different things. Just buying some random mixer doesn't mean you'll be able to do all (or any) of the things I described. They also generally require a lot of manual study to nail down how that specific model works.

Meh... if you are doing okay WITHOUT a mixer I wouldn't get too tweaked on it.

Cheers.

PS: I am a complete and utter amateur poseur and everyones needs are different.
    RD9
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 154
    Re: External mixers - just curious 2016/02/09 16:52:48 (permalink)
    Beepster makes some good points in his post.  In my case I did use an external mixer for a few years but moved away from it around 5 years ago and don't miss it.  There is enough control with the software in conjunction with my Saffire interface, a channel strip and various effect units.  Also, if you go cheap you will run into noise issues, these are really only useful for live performances, not recording.   Mixers also take up a bit of space which can be at a premium in a home studio.
    rsinger
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re: External mixers - just curious 2016/02/09 17:07:42 (permalink)
    I use it to keep external HW setup. I'm always ready to sit down and noodle around. Also, using guitar synths I'll layer the sound so I may have vg-99 + (gr-55 or sy-300 or JP-8080, etc). With guitars, amps, fx, and DAW it's all too easy to get ground loops - as I add new pieces of gear I sort it out and then I don't have to worry about it any more.

Sonar Platinum, 64 bit, win 7 pro - 64 bit 
    Core i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gb Ram, 480Gb + 256Gb SSDs, 1 Tb Velociraptor, Echo AudioFire4

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re: External mixers - just curious 2016/02/09 17:14:34 (permalink)
    Allen & Heath ZED-R 16 user here.

Aside from it's handy having multiple inputs available at any one time and being able to easily set up a couple of different direct monitored headphone mixes, I also use my studio for other things other than recording. Rehearsal, a bit of teaching etc. so I often use my set up with computer off, or Sonar not running at least. It saves an awful lot of plugging/unplugging cables as well.

It's also extremely useful for the video capture work that I do. I can listen to my narration while capturing videos and separate Sonar output all at the same time, mixed to suit me without compromising final production levels.

The unit I use is also capable of OTB mixing and although that's not something I've done much of I do quite often run tracks/busses out through the mixer's EQ and record the result back into Sonar. Especially useful on drums.

A mixer isn't a necessity by any means but it does offer the luxury of flexibility that's almost impossible, or extremely hard to achieve with other set ups. I'm not sure I could do what I do without it.
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: External mixers - just curious 2016/02/11 14:33:51 (permalink)
    Even if you never record more than one instrument or vocal part at a time and never need to mic up a drum kit, a small mixer can still be useful. I use one of these:
    Mackie 402VLZ4

For my purposes, the advantages are:
    1. This mixer has better mic pre-amps than the interface.
    2. I can insert a compressor/expander between the mixer and the interface.
    3. It also doubles up as a DI box. I use it to split the signal from a guitar in order to record both an amped and a dry signal together.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: External mixers - just curious 2016/02/11 17:26:25 (permalink)
    I used to be hooked into a Soundcraft Spirit Studio 32:8:2 but because of space constraints, I had to sell it.

Now I'm running a little Mackie unit, basically for hooking up extra gear, keyboards, outboard etc.

Because it all runs into 3 patchbays, including my interface, I can route anything, anywhere with just a few patch leads. VERY old school but it works for me.

I couldn't work without it.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    LunaTech
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 273
    Re: External mixers - just curious 2016/02/11 18:44:21 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy

The unit I use is also capable of OTB mixing and although that's not something I've done much of I do quite often run tracks/busses out through the mixer's EQ and record the result back into Sonar. Especially useful on drums.

A mixer isn't a necessity by any means but it does offer the luxury of flexibility that's almost impossible, or extremely hard to achieve with other set ups. I'm not sure I could do what I do without it.

I have to agree here. Especially with the flexibility. Depending on the mixer's feature set, it can become and integral part of the workflow. With talk back capability I can easily communicate with the artist via their individual headphone mixes. The kit that I use has midi control and allows control of the faders, pans, solos and transport. This is a huge workflow enhancement for me. This allows to be creative with my workflow. I can work in the box. As mention by Karl I can work OTB also or any combo in between. This allows me to use my external gear easily if warranted or I can go completely in the DAW.

As has been stated.... No it is not necessary.. but depending on its capabilities, it can open up a ton of possibilities. Thanks.

"Life could capture me with songs of innocence...
    And enrapture me with pleasures galore...
    Suddenly it could all quickly fade away...
    But I'm not surprised any more...."

Sonar Platinum Pro- Win 10 64- I7 6800k - Asus - 32gb DDR4-SB ZX sound card (cd output to mixer)- Toshiba 960gb SSD (OS - Audio APPs)- 4TB Seagate (Storage/ App Content)- M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro - Akai MPD 232 - Zed R16 - PT 12 - A&H QU 24- Axiom 61 - XD 80usb

"When He is all you have, He is everything you need"
    Psychobillybob
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 882
    Re: External mixers - just curious 2016/02/11 20:15:28 (permalink)
    Yes to most of the "hook-up" routing features of outboard mixers, but all of those have work-arounds...when it comes to my primary reason it is best described as "headroom" and frankly all the sciency answers that suggest it is a negative sum game simply need to listen...now it does matter what KIND of mixer you use, some do a digital summation that is less than stellar and others do it purely analog less than stellar...that being said, the right kind of mixer with proper signal path manages to place the mix more realistically for our natural hearing than doing everything in the box via math space...it's a subtle difference...kind of like the difference between garden fresh garlic and oregano in your Italian food and shelf packaged...plenty of folks make wonderful meals with the packed spices...no fault there...and some folks using fresh spices make bad meals...but give fresh spices to a really good chef and the meal becomes an experience...

I'm using SOnar Platinium on a 6 core Lynx Audio machine and a ton of vintage pre-amps/eq's/comps I build for fun and sometimes money, REDD.47/API/Neve I also use the UAD stuff, and also use a Macbook Logic 9 through Apogee...
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: External mixers - just curious 2016/02/11 23:20:37 (permalink)
    My mixer is on the output side of things, simply for PA-type purposes with quick-and-easy hardware patching. My intent/use is not as an input source, but I have found it convenient to tone-match guitar from external gear by hard panning source vs guitar through the same playback system. It is also convenient for general ad hoc screwing around when adding anything to another source with no intent to record.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    SimpleM
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 203
    Re: External mixers - just curious 2016/02/12 15:16:10 (permalink)
    I guess I am an exception to the rule, but I use an external mixer for mixdown.

Sonar is primarily a "tape mahine" and editing platform for me.  I do use prochannel for stuff, eq primarily as I like its sound and ease of use better than the one on my board and I use the tape emulator a lot but I tend to do all levels, pan and effects on the board.

I just find it is more musical for me that way, plus, while the mix-engine in Sonar is good, lots of tracks running at once really makes finding the sweet spot a bit difficult for me.  Adjusting with the mouse feel tedious, I like the feel of those 100mm faders that I can manipulate 10 at a time if needed.

Once I have my mix where I want it, I just run the mix off the board and record to a new stereo track in the project and voila, pre-master mix is ready.

To each his own.
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re: External mixers - just curious 2016/02/12 17:22:57 (permalink)
    I first started with a Behringer 502 A Mixer

Before I owned my first true Firewire (Presonus Firepod) Audio Interface, I owned the Alesis 12FX mixer.    I Still have this but I much appreciate the Roland Octa-Capture now. 

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Sylvan
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 793
    Re: External mixers - just curious 2016/02/12 17:42:02 (permalink)
    I used to use a mixer like many described here, but these days I have an RME FireFace UFX that takes care of all that. It is an amazing piece of gear that replaces the need or luxury of a traditional mixer. It really is a hardware mixer controlled by TotalMix software. All routings are possible. Zero latency headphone mixes, mixing some reverb/delay for monitoring without recording it, etc...  

SONAR Platinum
    RME Fireface UFX
    Tascam US 20X20
    Tascam US 16X08
    Intel i7-5830K LGA2011V3 (6 CORE)
    Asus X99-AII
    Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB
    Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1