Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
2016/02/13 01:11:01 (permalink)

Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor

Title says it all. We knew this was coming. It will be a serious competitor for sonar now, as Cakewalk continues to back-burner requests for improvements to notation. I will certainly be buying reaper as soon as it's ready. I have never used any DAW but sonar. So it will be a big jump, but I pick things up quickly. I have never made the jump beyond sonar 8.5.3. I didn't see the later versions as containing anything for me, and I especially don't care for the new monthly update scheme. If Reaper works out for me, I will finally be able to stay current with my DAW. And maybe even use it in Linux! But if I don't like it, I know I can stay with sonar 8.5.3. and I'm only out 60.00.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

40 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/13 01:26:40 (permalink)
    Reaper has some strengths that I like. I own it, but as for now I don't use it. I couldn't care less about about Notation in my DAW.

ATM I'm a bit more interested in what is coming in Studio One 3.2

But even that will not stop SONAR Platinum as my main DAW.

I hope you find what you're looking for Michael.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/13 09:14:59 (permalink)
    I have, Reaper, Samplitude, PT12, Studio One 3 and Sonar Platinum. They all have their strengths.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Sidroe
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1954
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/13 10:43:50 (permalink)
    I wouldn't be so quick to jump ship just yet. How do you know that the notation will be any better than the one in Sonar? Of course, someone would say it couldn't be any worse!

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/13 12:17:06 (permalink)
    mudgel
    I have, Reaper, Samplitude, PT12, Studio One 3 and Sonar Platinum. They all have their strengths.

+1
    Sonar Platinum is my primary DAW software... but I like having multiple applications in the "toolbox".

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    cclarry
    • Total Posts : 20964
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/13 12:20:26 (permalink)
    I completely agree...

I never want to be a "one trick pony". 

Things change at a moments notice...and I like at least 
    knowing my way around in other DAW's somewhat...

michael diemer
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/13 12:26:46 (permalink)
    As I said, I can always come back to sonar, and 60.00 is not a big deal. It won't really be ready for awhile anyway. But there is a tremendous buzz on their forum, back and forth between the devs and users, very good communication there. Most of what they are talking about is beyond me, but it seems to be shaping up nicely and quickly. My situation is that sonar 8.5.3 is obviously dated. I'm not interested in the later versions. I'm also going to be moving to Linux at some point as windows has also lost me. I use Linux exclusively now for everything but music. Still need Windows for sonar of course. But Reaper's ability to work in Linux will be another reason to switch for me. On the other hand, sonar still works fine for what I do, and may prove to be better. But like many have said, no reason to use only one. It's time I tried something else, if only to rattle my aging brain cells.
    post edited by michael diemer - 2016/02/13 16:33:51

michael diemer
    32 GB ram
    UR22 interface

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/13 13:55:56 (permalink)
    Michael,

On Linux you can also use Harrison's Mixbus 3. But I'm sure you knew that.
    michael diemer
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/13 16:40:42 (permalink)
    Right Ed/Bapu, and also Bitwig, Ardour, Renoise and a bunch more. But to my knowledge, only Rosegarden has a notation editor. And that is a difficult monkey to tame, from what I've heard.  Thus my interest in Reaper. It runs now in wine, and the devs do seem interested in making it Linux-native. Again, my situation is that I'm using Windows only for music. And Windows 7 EOL's in four years. That's why I'm using Linux for everything else, so I'll be ready. I have completely lost confidence in Microsoft. And Linux is wicked fun. Just not so much for music. But I'm thinking that will change in four years. Got to be looking to the future!

michael diemer
    32 GB ram
    UR22 interface

michael diemer
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/16 01:08:37 (permalink)
    Well, I downloaded Reaper for the first time. Not a very intuitive DAW. I can't get my Garritan Aria player to work right with it, and so far not much help from their forum. But I'll stick with it, I'm sure it can be done. I probably was just as confused with sonar at first!

michael diemer
    32 GB ram
    UR22 interface

Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/16 03:00:10 (permalink)
    I'm hoping that there is a plan to overhaul Midi. That a large enough number of improvements have been identified that it in itself is separate project. With that includes Staff View which is tied into Midi just the same way PRV is. And that we'll see both views come forward to be more competitive with others.

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/16 08:26:31 (permalink)
    michael diemer
    Well, I downloaded Reaper for the first time. Not a very intuitive DAW. I can't get my Garritan Aria player to work right with it, and so far not much help from their forum. But I'll stick with it, I'm sure it can be done. I probably was just as confused with sonar at first!

I spent a couple of weeks trying out Reaper and, out of the box, it is not very friendly. You'll need to decide how you want it to work for you and then find a theme, menus and scripts/actions that will support your vision. Once you've got it setup the way you want, you'll find that it is really great for audio recording and mixing. Depending on your level of midi programming, you may find Reaper's midi implementation good enough. I found it somewhat lacking in that area, but it is workable if you really want to switch away from Windows.

I will also say that Reaper has it's share of compatibility issues, crashes and "forced to use a workaround" as any other DAW. Just the way it is.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    michael diemer
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/16 22:14:58 (permalink)
    I have given up for now on getting Reaper to work. I can't for the life of me figure out how to set up my Aria player so it plays all 16 channels correctly. My left arm is so sore I had to switch back to the right. My brain is even sorer. I'm trying to figure out how to tactfully tell them on the forum that Reaper's midi routing is massively confusing. Maybe they will simplify it at some point, but for now it's just not worth any more farting around. 
    There! I got the venting out here, so I don't alienate the good folks over there!

michael diemer
    32 GB ram
    UR22 interface

michael diemer
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/16 22:14:59 (permalink)
    I have given up for now on getting Reaper to work. I can't for the life of me figure out how to set up my Aria player so it plays all 16 channels correctly. My left arm is so sore I had to switch back to the right. My brain is even sorer. I'm trying to figure out how to tactfully tell them on the forum that Reaper's midi routing is massively confusing. Maybe they will simplify it at some point, but for now it's just not worth any more farting around. 
    There! I got the venting out here, so I don't alienate the good folks over there!

michael diemer
    32 GB ram
    UR22 interface

michael diemer
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/18 16:39:11 (permalink)
    Well, with a lot of help, I have gotten Reaper up and running. Aria player works with 16 channels. However, I have to arm the one I want to hear, and disarm any others. A bit cumbersome compared with Sonar. I'm not sure if this is standard procedure, or is because my keyboard is ancient, and only sends on one channel. But at least I'm up and running. Still a lot to learn. Need to get some reverb going. Once I'm more familiar with things, I might download the Notation edition (pre-release). Or maybe just wait for it to be fully implemented. That will be the real test. Only if that works out for me will I consider Reaper viable.

michael diemer
    32 GB ram
    UR22 interface

BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/18 17:25:27 (permalink)
    michael diemer
    Well, with a lot of help, I have gotten Reaper up and running. Aria player works with 16 channels. However, I have to arm the one I want to hear, and disarm any others. A bit cumbersome compared with Sonar. I'm not sure if this is standard procedure, or is because my keyboard is ancient, and only sends on one channel. But at least I'm up and running. Still a lot to learn. Need to get some reverb going. Once I'm more familiar with things, I might download the Notation edition (pre-release). Or maybe just wait for it to be fully implemented. That will be the real test. Only if that works out for me will I consider Reaper viable.

The monitoring/arming is a bit strange in Reaper.  It's not too bad though really.  There are two or three different ways to go about IM between MON and REC modes.

Honestly, I like Reaper a lot.  I installed the pre with notation and gave it a quick look, without trying to do any edits.  It *look* good, but ...

I think it's wise to get a head start on learning the Reaper way.  Make sure you install the SWS extensions and ReaMenus.  ReaMenus will help you hold onto your sanity as the default menu system appears to have been put together by a sadist.

There are also some very nice themes (skins).  My favorite right now is the LCS mod of Imperial; full folder support in the mixer is really nice.

Sonar is still my primary, but that's prolly because I have way more time and $$ invested in Sonar. 

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

michael diemer
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/18 21:37:57 (permalink)
    Dark Star on the Reaper forum solved the problem of arming tracks. There's an auto-arm feature. You just turn it on and all the tracks play when selected. Now if I can just figure out reverb...

michael diemer
    32 GB ram
    UR22 interface

Susan G
    • Total Posts : 12016
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/19 01:11:10 (permalink)
    michael diemer
    ...and so far not much help from their forum...

Hi michael-

Well, that's not really fair, I don't think! A few of us have tried to help (especially DarkStar) and you seem to be getting closer. 

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    michael diemer
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/19 13:19:34 (permalink)
    Susan, that didn't come out the way I meant it. What I meant was, I was getting a lot of help (including from you), but the problem was still unsolved. I should have put it differently. And yes, I was venting. When you spend close to 20 hours on something with no progress, you get frustrated. I did it here so as not to offend the folks there.  And thank you for your help. Your example of routing did help me as I was able to compare and make sure mine was correct. It was the inputs that were the problem.
    post edited by michael diemer - 2016/02/19 13:38:55

michael diemer
    32 GB ram
    UR22 interface

michael diemer
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/19 13:22:02 (permalink)
    I solved the reverb problem. It turns out that the sends on the Aria mixer are for reverb. I always controlled that with the purple slider in sonar, so I never even knew what those sends do. So now I have good sounds in Reaper. I'm trying to get EWSO Silver up and running in it now.

michael diemer
    32 GB ram
    UR22 interface

Susan G
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/22 19:19:04 (permalink)
    michael diemer
    Susan, that didn't come out the way I meant it. What I meant was, I was getting a lot of help (including from you), but the problem was still unsolved. I should have put it differently. And yes, I was venting. When you spend close to 20 hours on something with no progress, you get frustrated. I did it here so as not to offend the folks there.  And thank you for your help. Your example of routing did help me as I was able to compare and make sure mine was correct. It was the inputs that were the problem.

Hi michael-

[Sorry for the late reply; been having some showstopper hardware issues and so offline for a few days.]

I understand your frustration (been there recently--see above). It seems like you've made lots of progress, congrats. I just didn't want the REAPER forum to get a bad rep, so thanks for the clarification.

-Susan

kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/22 20:49:53 (permalink)
    So is there a version of Reaper with the notation as a public beta. If you please post a link for those of use who can't find it.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    michael diemer
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/23 20:30:35 (permalink)
    I'm not sure how you go about becoming a tester for a Reaper pre-release build. I don't want to to give out inaccurate info. I'm guessing that Susan G. would know about this?

michael diemer
    32 GB ram
    UR22 interface

BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/23 20:36:52 (permalink)
    michael diemer
    I'm not sure how you go about becoming a tester for a Reaper pre-release build. I don't want to to give out inaccurate info. I'm guessing that Susan G. would know about this?

Check your PM

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

kitekrazy1
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/23 22:32:56 (permalink)
    michael diemer

It's there on the Reaper forums.  I mess with the 32 bit versions. I can't find the notation editor in the recent builds.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    michael diemer
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/24 13:14:26 (permalink)
    BobF said it's in versions 5.2 and up.

michael diemer
    32 GB ram
    UR22 interface

kitekrazy1
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/24 17:22:02 (permalink)
     I would have never found it if it weren't for Bob. The hide it well.

Susan G
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/27 00:14:29 (permalink)
    They have a forum called REAPER Pre-Release Discussion listed on their main forums page, so it's not exactly hidden. Anyone can participate in the pre-release betas.

Edit: BTW, the first sticky thread there is about notation.

-Susan
    post edited by Susan G - 2016/02/27 00:30:17

kitekrazy1
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/27 00:15:31 (permalink)
     I was referring to the notation editor.

Susan G
    Re: Reaper Now Testing Notation Editor 2016/02/27 00:17:38 (permalink)
    It's there; see my edited post above. The first sticky is all about the new notation feature.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1