Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band

Author
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
2016/02/07 17:24:41 (permalink)

Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band

Another Scandalous Grace song for your review!  All comments are welcome!

Beagle: Lead Vocals, B3, Drums, Mix
Mike Hanson: BGVs, Elec Rhythm, Lead, Bass
Sean Peifer: BGVs, Lead, Acoustic

https://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/call-me-tonight

post edited by Beagle - 2016/02/07 17:58:06

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.

19 Replies Related Threads

daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/08 12:43:09 (permalink)
    Hello Beags me old mate. Nice mix - music bed is spot on.
    The vocal treatment needs some work and the vocal volume needs to come up imo. Take some of the reverb and some of the low end off.
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/09 09:37:51 (permalink)
    Nice song!

In this mix, I think the B3 would serve the song better if it wasn't spread across the stereo field. Maybe place it on the stage with everything else. I might also push the hats back a bit, maybe bring up the overheads and lower the close mic?

At first, I wasn't sure about the vocals, but I think they work the way they are overall.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/09 15:03:34 (permalink)
    Good tune...   Solid, with a simple, catchy chorus. 

Mix-wise...   Drums and bass seem fat and punchy here and the rhythm guitars fill out nicely.  The guitar leads are mixed back a little though and could come up front IMO.  For the vocals, there's a bit of an edge that sounds OK as-is, but on the higher notes where the call & response happens the hi-mids could be smoothed out a little, I think. 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

rbecker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 740
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/09 17:17:59 (permalink)
    Good tune. Most of my suggestions deal with the vocals.

For the lead vocal - It sounds a bit over-sung. Maybe sing at a lower volume, and then bring it up in the mix. Also, you might bring your vibrato in a bit earlier on sustained notes than you do. Right now the sound is flat right up to the final spit second of the note, when I then hear your vibrato creep in.

Beagle - What are you doing with the lead vocal as far as doubling, delays or anything else?

I would bring the backing vocals in toward the center and then widen from there. Also, I might move the guitars to the edges a bit more. The solo guitar could be move a bit more out (like at 2:15) because as it is, it contends with the lead vocal.

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    HD: ST2000DM 001-1ER164 7200RPM
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 Ghz
    RAM:12.0 GB Memory:2 drives 1 Terabyte each
    Windows 10
    Video: NVIDA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    Beagle
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/10 08:06:36 (permalink)
    daryl1968
    Hello Beags me old mate. Nice mix - music bed is spot on.
    The vocal treatment needs some work and the vocal volume needs to come up imo. Take some of the reverb and some of the low end off.

Thanks mate! I'll look into those suggestions on the vox!  I purposely made this one a little wetter, but meebe I went overboard!  appreciate your insight!

Beagle
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/10 08:12:36 (permalink)
    dcumpian
    Nice song!

In this mix, I think the B3 would serve the song better if it wasn't spread across the stereo field. Maybe place it on the stage with everything else. I might also push the hats back a bit, maybe bring up the overheads and lower the close mic?

At first, I wasn't sure about the vocals, but I think they work the way they are overall.

Regards,
    Dan

Hey Dan, thanks for the listen and the suggestions!  I'll take a listen on the B3 and see what happens and check the hats and overhead.  thanks!

String Jammer
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/10 10:15:16 (permalink)
    Nice work guys. As stated above it needs some work but there is a good foundation here. 
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/11 21:52:37 (permalink)
    Yep this is a fine tune... Seems fairly well balanced as well. ( I usually like the leslie spread across stereo field ). Vocal work is very fine... Love all the different eq'd voices.  Drums sound a tad programmed and could use a little fill here and there perhaps ... So should I call you tonight???? :) 

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/12 16:36:10 (permalink)
    Can't say any more than what's been said.

Good vocal performance(s).
    jkoseattle
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 556
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/12 17:04:06 (permalink)
    This is an example of an "explosion song", where things plod along at a nice level, then in the chorus something big and unexpected happens. Examples include "Lightning Strikes" (Zombies), "Valleri" (Monkees), "Holiday Road" (Lindsey Buckingham). It's a cool effect. I think this song could make more capital of that effect.

Specifically, I wish there were more build up to the big chorus explosion somehow. And then save something in the arrangement that doesn't come in until the chorus, such as a new drum, vocal harmonies, another instrument, whatever. Also, the third repetition of the big note on "toniiiiight" seems like too much, and I'm wanting something different to happen there. Maybe some different chords underneath or something, I don't know. Three times seems like a lot.

Mix-wise, sounds good. though the BG vocs are hard to hear. And at times the lead vocal feels like it's pushing a bit, but maybe some of the things others have suggested would help.

Sonar Version: Platinum  
    Audio Interface: M-Audio Delta
    Computer: Dell i5 3.1 GHz, 12Gb RAM, Windows 10 64-bit
    Soft Synths: EastWest PLAY Symphonic Orchestra
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio 2x2 MidiSport Anniv Edition
    Settings: 16-Bit, Sample Rate 44.1k, ASIO Buffer Size 128-1024, Record/Playback I/O Buffers play:256k, rec: 64k, Total Round Trip Latency 48 ms  
    Check out my work here
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/12 20:52:03 (permalink)
    Hey Beagle, 
    I am missing tons of bottom on your mix. 
    Please compare to Darly's mix on "Little Miss Popular" to get what I am hearing.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Little-Miss-Popular-a-NEW-original-song-m3362530.aspx

It's easy to get both playback buttons on screen so you can A/B the mixes. 

I think that with more attention to your overall mixing and EQ, your songs will sound better. 
    It's all a learning experience for sure but comparing is a good way to hear the difference I am pointing out. 

Someone earlier on this thread suggested singing a bit lighter. I agree. It would be good to try some different singing approaches to your songs to see what feels the best. If this is it then OK. You have all the experience and knowledge to get a bit more polished product. I just want to encourage you to experiment. 

All the best. 
    Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Beagle
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/13 12:02:05 (permalink)
    stevec
    Good tune...   Solid, with a simple, catchy chorus. 

Mix-wise...   Drums and bass seem fat and punchy here and the rhythm guitars fill out nicely.  The guitar leads are mixed back a little though and could come up front IMO.  For the vocals, there's a bit of an edge that sounds OK as-is, but on the higher notes where the call & response happens the hi-mids could be smoothed out a little, I think. 

Thanks so much for the listen and the suggestions, Steve!  I appreciate it very much!  The guys and I are discussing changes and we'll be working on them!

Beagle
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/13 12:08:21 (permalink)
    rbecker
    Good tune. Most of my suggestions deal with the vocals.

For the lead vocal - It sounds a bit over-sung. Maybe sing at a lower volume, and then bring it up in the mix. Also, you might bring your vibrato in a bit earlier on sustained notes than you do. Right now the sound is flat right up to the final spit second of the note, when I then hear your vibrato creep in.

Beagle - What are you doing with the lead vocal as far as doubling, delays or anything else?

I would bring the backing vocals in toward the center and then widen from there. Also, I might move the guitars to the edges a bit more. The solo guitar could be move a bit more out (like at 2:15) because as it is, it contends with the lead vocal.

Thanks so much for the listen and the suggestions, Bob!  I appreciate it very much!  

I am working on adjusting the lead vocal based on yours and others' comments on it.  as far as what I'm doing for "processing" - I don't use doubling.  I've done that in the past and I've never been able to get the best results out of it.  what I do on my lead vocals is use EQ and compression to beef them up.  routing is typically parallel EQ and compressors with different settings, one compressor for squashing and one for "lifting" with EQs to roll off low end, boost certain "pleasing" aspects associated with my voice and then notch filters to cut out harshness in my voice.

The guys and I are discussing all of the changes suggested and we'll be working on them!  thanks again!

Beagle
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/13 12:08:45 (permalink)
    String Jammer
    Nice work guys. As stated above it needs some work but there is a good foundation here. 

Thanks so much for the listen and the suggestions, Scotty!  I appreciate it very much!  The guys and I are discussing changes and we'll be working on them!

Beagle
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/13 12:09:34 (permalink)
    Tap
    Yep this is a fine tune... Seems fairly well balanced as well. ( I usually like the leslie spread across stereo field ). Vocal work is very fine... Love all the different eq'd voices.  Drums sound a tad programmed and could use a little fill here and there perhaps ... So should I call you tonight???? :) 

Hey James!  thanks for stopping by and listening and for the comments!  The guys and I are discussing all of the suggestions and working on them!

Beagle
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/13 12:09:48 (permalink)
    bapu
    Can't say any more than what's been said.

Good vocal performance(s).

Fanks me friend!

Beagle
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/13 12:10:56 (permalink)
    jkoseattle
    This is an example of an "explosion song", where things plod along at a nice level, then in the chorus something big and unexpected happens. Examples include "Lightning Strikes" (Zombies), "Valleri" (Monkees), "Holiday Road" (Lindsey Buckingham). It's a cool effect. I think this song could make more capital of that effect.

Specifically, I wish there were more build up to the big chorus explosion somehow. And then save something in the arrangement that doesn't come in until the chorus, such as a new drum, vocal harmonies, another instrument, whatever. Also, the third repetition of the big note on "toniiiiight" seems like too much, and I'm wanting something different to happen there. Maybe some different chords underneath or something, I don't know. Three times seems like a lot.

Mix-wise, sounds good. though the BG vocs are hard to hear. And at times the lead vocal feels like it's pushing a bit, but maybe some of the things others have suggested would help.

Thank you Jim for the detailed suggestions on the arrangement, vocals and mix!  I appreciate it very much!  

We're discussing the suggestions and will be working on some changes!

Beagle
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/13 12:12:21 (permalink)
    Rimshot
    Hey Beagle, 
    I am missing tons of bottom on your mix. 
    Please compare to Darly's mix on "Little Miss Popular" to get what I am hearing.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Little-Miss-Popular-a-NEW-original-song-m3362530.aspx

It's easy to get both playback buttons on screen so you can A/B the mixes. 

I think that with more attention to your overall mixing and EQ, your songs will sound better. 
    It's all a learning experience for sure but comparing is a good way to hear the difference I am pointing out. 

Someone earlier on this thread suggested singing a bit lighter. I agree. It would be good to try some different singing approaches to your songs to see what feels the best. If this is it then OK. You have all the experience and knowledge to get a bit more polished product. I just want to encourage you to experiment. 

All the best. 
    Rimshot

Hey Jimmy!  thanks so much for the time to listen and the suggestions!  I appreciate it very much!  

We're discussing all of these suggestions and are working on some changes!  thanks again and look for an update in the next week or two!

Zargg
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: Call Me Tonight - Scandalous Grace Band 2016/02/13 14:24:37 (permalink)
    Hi, Reece. Cool song, and good performance. On my system, the guitars get a little lost in the chorus. 
    All the best.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1