Helpful ReplyOffset Mesure One

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
M@
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 221
Re: Shift start time 2015/09/18 18:58:23 (permalink)
+1 (1)
I too would love to have user assignable or dragable offsets and the option of adding colour coded and descriptive markup of sections of music in the time-ruler(s)!
> I might add that I find the height of the individual time-rulers to be too small (on my relatively close-up 24" display)
Many times I find myself dragging the division-line between time-ruler and tracks expecting the time-rulers to stretch in height only to find the video-preview lane opening up
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Feature R.... Please add the abililty to have pick up measures before Bar One .. 2016/02/12 02:24:50 (permalink)
+1 (1)
In SONAR's  timeline I would like the ability to start a few measures early when recording and have my bar one down beat be movable in SONAR's timeline ..or assignable as the official bar one of my song .( where I want to place it )
After my metronome count in and pick up bars for a melody that starts before measure one , I want my measure one to be measure one once I have entered into a traditional song structure ....

I feel this is of importance because in many genres of music melodies have started on the "and " or the " and A" of an upbeat on the 2 ,the 3 , or the 4   leading into  the songs first official downbeat ....
My way around it has been to create markers with chord structure names ... Yet in even a simple 12 bar song or 16 bar song segment ...the math gets screwed up ..traditionally in a 12 bar song structure  bar 13 would signal a change ....in a 16 bar song bar 17 would signal a change ...in a 24 bar structure bar 25 would signal a Change ...bar 37 for a 36 bar structure add nasuem ....
Reading the time line involves math skills which I may or not have during the time of a songs creation ...
also I like to dice things up and do sub divisions within a songs structure ...
ex...a 36 bar song structure can have 3 12 bar sections , a 24 bar w a 12 bar , 3, 8 bar sections w a 12 ....
My whole point is , if I have to take into account that my , 12 , 8 , 16 , 24,or 36 bar structured song starts on bar 3 and a half and then when I do the math it can be somewhat confusing to keep track of a songs mathematical structure..
My measure 17 in a traditional song structure is showing up  as bar 20 or what ever ...rather confusing to this fella

If this feature already exists please let me know

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

skinnybones lampshade
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 530
Re: Feature R.... Please add the abililty to have pick up measures before Bar One .. 2016/02/13 12:30:45 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Yes, if you're working from a traditional printed score, you constantly have to adjust the bar number ("Oh yeah, Section B starts at measure 19 (or 20 or 21), not at measure 17 like it says in the score. So Section C starts at bar 35, not 33... I think. Yeah, that's right. So Section D ....").

That just adds one more set of tiny annoyances to what is already involved enough - trying to record our music with as few unnecessary barriers between us and the music as possible.

Also, even in our original songs, I'm sure that many of us frequently write/play in some kind of traditional rock, blues, classical, or folk format that typically divides into predictably numbered sections (groups of 8 measures, 12 measures, etc.) We're accustomed to quickly scanning our recordings for certain bar numbers to pick out the beginning of a new section.

Sure, we're capable of doing it; the math involved isn't exactly calculus. Wouldn't it be nice, though, just to be able to set Sonar to measure 1 at the very spot you would like measure 1 to be? Set once per project, no more arithmetic :) 

If it is not too difficult to programme, it would be very welcome.

The colours idea is just great, too. That would be like Christmas (maybe the colours could be red and green ).

Edit to say I agree with Kennywtelejazz!
dbmm001
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 65
Re: Feature R.... Please add the abililty to have pick up measures before Bar One .. 2016/02/26 08:57:00 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Yes! Please, I've always had a measure or two of counts before the main song for all the reasons mentioned. Think of a blues tune that starts with a guitar lick that ends on the 1st beat of measure one. It would be soooo great to FINALLY have my markers for sections be where they're supposed to be, measures 8, 16, etc. A real easy way to implement it too without having to add a 2nd ruler would be to have a keyboard modifier (i.e. alt - shift)with a click and hold on the time line and drag to the right shifting the measures down and adding negative measures to the left. Doesn't seem like it would involve too much coding to make that happen. I'll buy you a cup of coffee!
2:43AM
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1147
Re: Feature R.... Please add the abililty to have pick up measures before Bar One .. 2016/03/16 01:45:19 (permalink)
Original post was from October 2014--whew!  I know I would like the feature added.  Call me a Negative Nancy, but I honestly don't think it will ever happen.  Cakewalk should prove me wrong however.

There may be hope.  October 2014 was near the end of the X3 period.  But somebody has probably been wishing for it since X1.

All in all, maybe by the Sonar Double Platinum Plus+ edition, it'll be implemented.
post edited by 2:43AM - 2016/04/27 19:43:57
thx1200
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 92
Re: Feature R.... Please add the abililty to have pick up measures before Bar One .. 2016/04/27 17:16:28 (permalink)
+1 (1)
A year and a half and this no-brainer feature isn't on the horizon.  :-(  I really want it too.  I'm tired of doing the measure offset math in my head.
2:43AM
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1147
Re: Feature R.... Please add the abililty to have pick up measures before Bar One .. 2016/04/27 19:26:59 (permalink)
thx1200
A year and a half and this no-brainer feature isn't on the horizon.  :-(  I really want it too.  I'm tired of doing the measure offset math in my head.

Such a no-brainer and an easy victory for the Bakers.
stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re: Feature R.... Please add the abililty to have pick up measures before Bar One .. 2016/04/28 17:01:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby 2:43AM 2016/04/29 19:25:55
+2 (2)
I'm sure this is on their radar, and I'm equally sure that there is a good reason why it has not been implemented yet, probably due to how deep this goes into the engine code, and how they don't want to do something half-assed just to satisfy people like us.

So, let's keep voting for it, one day it may happen.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1