Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2016/02/12 10:08:46 (permalink)

Good advice for live venue mixers

http://www.audiotechnology.com.au/wp/index.php/time-to-shelve-the-low-end/

I almost dread going to live concerts anymore. No matter how great the band, there's a 90% chance the FOH guys are going to ruin it. I'll hear horrid things coming out of the PA, look over at the mixer and he's chatting with a groupie and looking cool and oblivious to the sonic mayhem he's causing. Sure, a lot of it is bad rooms and outdoor venues that the crew can't control, but often they don't appear to even be making an effort.

The main stage at NAMM this year was a refreshing exception. In past years, sound there had been dreadful, but they've moved the main stage out of the convention center lobby and into the street outside. The stage sits between two large hotels, which you'd expect to cause problems, but fires down a block-long street. Whoever they put in charge of the PA clearly knew what they were doing, because the sound quality was surprisingly good for an outdoor venue. One thing noticeably absent: the usual stacks of multiple subs.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff

30 Replies Related Threads

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/12 12:38:24 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    I almost dread going to live concerts anymore. No matter how great the band, there's a 90% chance the FOH guys are going to ruin it.

I've attributed this to them being deaf, which also explains why the sound is always WAY too loud.  I've stopped going to live shows and, if I absolutely have to, I bring earplugs.  Unfortunately earplugs do nothing against panic attack inducing extreme bass levels, where your heart has no choice but to beat in sync with the music.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/12 14:41:49 (permalink)
    One of the last live shows I attended was a country concert with Kenny Chesney as the headliner.

It's fairly normal for the headliner to have the PA throttled back with respect to the low end for the opening and subsequent acts so that when the HL comes out, the PA is kicking it top to bottom and the HL sounds so much better.  

Or so I thought.....  of course the lows were lacking for the first 2 bands.... and they were at a reasonable volume....

When KC took the stage, the sound level was deafening. And being in the lawn seats, I had to watch the huge monitors to see what was going on with the band. I could not hear any bass..... none.... OK... so for a few seconds I thought the bass was out but it's gonna come in at the chorus..... there went the chorus and the music is still lacking bass. 

So I guess, someone forgot to turn the sub amps on, or they were dead. The entire concert went that same way.... no bottom in the sound but the volume never backed off a bit..... I sat down and pretty much stayed there for the rest of the show. Since everyone else around me was standing, I was out of the jet wash of the main PA's blast zone and the music was almost tolerable from that vantage point. I was never so glad to see a concert end as I was with that one.  

I guess the FOH guy was either deaf, drunk or otherwise engaged and too busy to bother to try to get the mix sounding good. It was by far the worst show I ever had the displeasure of wasting my money on. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/13 05:26:11 (permalink)
    There ought to be a special circle of hell reserved for incompetent live sound engineers, especially when they wreck the sound in the venue where they normally work.

Worst I can remember over the last few years is a gig in a localish theatre. Three piece headlining band, bass, drums, guitar/vocals. It took the venue's sound "engineer" half their set to spot he hadn't turned the SM57 on the guitar amp on. He only spotted it then because the band and audience alike were complaining they couldn't hear much guitar.

Rubbish sound and no view or atmosphere is why I tend to avoid big outdoor festivals most of the time unless there's someone I really want to see on. That and the ever wonderful English weather. And if I have to watch the gig on a screen anyway because the performers are ant-sized specks in the distance I'll watch them on TV thanks. That way I can drink what I want, eat what I want, wear what I want, smoke what I want, set the volume how I want it and usually get a better sound quality as well as view.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/13 08:34:54 (permalink)
    Unfortunately the "loud is better" crowd has made themselves so deaf they have become the "if it is not loud, I hear nothing" crowd. Self-fulfilling prophecy but incredibly sad since most industries enforce hearing protection except for the one that should the most (you can be deaf as a post and still drive a jackhammer).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    bitflipper
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/13 13:08:55 (permalink)
    I attended a concert last night that was ruined by bad sound.

The act was a Beatles tribute band that have been doing the same shtick for 32 years, so the performance was tight and polished. It was a full house, so they enjoyed the benefit of acoustically-absorbent human bodies.

It was a 1920's-era high-ceiling 300-seat theater. There were no subs employed, and volume was reasonable for the space. So there were a lot of factors they got right.

But there was a huge midrange peak about 1.2KHz that ruined everything. The acoustic guitar in particular sounded just awful, like a ten-dollar instrument recorded with a 1970's-era cassette recorder. This made vocal harmonies consistently unbalanced, and any screamed vocals (common in early Beatles material) felt like ice picks to the ear. I was wearing a stocking cap, so I pulled it down over my ears, which reduced the pain a little.

I examined the PA and the board, wondering if perhaps they'd been forced to use a poorly-installed house system with the faders taped down. That was not the case. It was a flown array, but it was the band's own gear and their own FOH guy. And he was an old guy! Old as me. Old enough you'd assume he had a lot of experience.

Or perhaps old enough that he just didn't give a sh*t anymore.

My Stuff
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/13 13:31:51 (permalink)
    I like live music. I agree that I would often twiddle nobs if invited to.

That said, I'm not convinced I always make it sound better, even at home in a post show mix.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/13 15:54:37 (permalink)
    Live mixing is an industry that seems to have attracted many people who are just plain useless and have no ears at all.  There does not seem to be any consistency or regulation in it for some reason.

Dave I tune the PA to the room and I do it with Steely Dan's 'Everything Must Go' CD.  I would have heard the mid range out of balance sound in seconds and corrected it.  Also when I mix in live venues where the subs are simply out of control that excessive low end is just so obvious.  Once I put the bottom end totally back into shape as per how the CD is supposed to sound the PA is usually perfect from that point on.

Often I go into a venue and the FOH EQ is all over the place from the night before and looks like a dog’s hind leg.  Some idiot has set it up to what they think is good.  Interesting in 99% of cases when I flatten out the FOH completely and listen to Steely Dan it most often sounds perfect!  (meaning PA was installed very nicely often and well setup)

The other problem is most live mixers have no musical knowledge either.  In one of these posts it was mentioned no guitar was present out front.  I would heard that in a microsecond and gone looking for the problem.  Because one should look up see what is supposed to be there but some live guys just cannot do that for some reason.

Another problem too is when someone takes a solo most live mixers cannot hear that and they end up just at the same too low volume.  I move that person to the centre and turn them up to bring out the solo and then when finished moved them back and turn them down a little.  That is something from my Jazz days I suppose.

They are the most useless and horrible sound people in the business and 99% of them should be nowhere near a decent PA.  It is most often not the PA or the room that is the issue but the idiot behind the desk.

Hey when Return to Forever came out to Australia Chick Corea brought out Bernie Kirsh to do the live mix. Now that was a sound folks!  Perfect in every sense of the word.  I am not saying all studio mixers make perfect live mixers but they are a hell of a lot better though.  Most live PA guys would not be able to mix a studio track to save themselves.  That is part of the problem.

When the band is great the live mix is ten times easier but many still get it wrong.  The problem is everywhere you go as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Paul P
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/13 22:06:04 (permalink)
    A couple of years ago my daughter sang a song (with backup band) for the local community music school.  The concert was in a brand new 1000 seat concert hall.  The sound guys were the hall's regulars, hired for the evening.  [I set aside the fact that the whole concert was much too loud, especially with children and grandparents in the audience].  The girl before my daughter's mic was dead, which I learned after was because she'd been given the 'wrong' one by one of the teachers (it had no switch).  So she sang her entire song with no one able to hear her.  At that point I was really anxious for my daughter and would probably have caused a very uncomfortable scene had her mic been dead as well.  Luckily it worked and her song went very well.

Talking to one of the teachers later, I expressed annoyance that the sound guys had made no attempt to fix the problem (I sat right beside the desk and they didn't even flinch), like maybe try each mic until the good one was determined.  Maybe lose the intro of the song but good for the rest.  The answer was that the console was digital and programmed and it wasn't a simple matter to make an on-the-fly change to the setup.  I know nothing of current digital desks, but I didn't buy it.  I would have at least have made the attempt to try each mic until I'd found the right one.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/14 12:29:25 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans
    Hey when Return to Forever came out to Australia Chick Corea brought out Bernie Kirsh to do the live mix. Now that was a sound folks!  Perfect in every sense of the word.  I am not saying all studio mixers make perfect live mixers but they are a hell of a lot better though.  Most live PA guys would not be able to mix a studio track to save themselves.  That is part of the problem.

The Return To Forever reunion tour a few years ago was the last live concert I attended (at the Dodge Theater in Phoenix). The sound was simply outstanding. I was really happy that they recorded that tour (Live at Montreux 2008 on Blu-ray).

I've also attended several "wall of mud" shows.

S&M

The pleasure of anticipation.
    The pain of reality.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/14 18:02:39 (permalink)
    then there are the guys that run sound in churches.  ...almost to the point of total distraction and the people in the booth have their face buried in their phone.  ;-/

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

tlw
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/14 20:56:40 (permalink)
    mettelus
    Unfortunately the "loud is better" crowd has made themselves so deaf they have become the "if it is not loud, I hear nothing" crowd. Self-fulfilling prophecy but incredibly sad since most industries enforce hearing protection except for the one that should the most (you can be deaf as a post and still drive a jackhammer).

In the UK the Health and Safety Executive (and local authorities in the categories of businesses where the function is devolved from HSE to them) enforce similar hearing protection on events, clubs, venues and studios that they do in any workplace. Not on the punters (so long as they're warned in advance it's going to be loud they are left to care for themselves) but for the staff, including stage crew and engineers, who are there as workers. Also advice for musicians (including orchestral, lots of orchestral musicians get hearing damage).

There's even a dedicated website - http://soundadvice.info

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    tlw
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/14 21:41:42 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans
    The other problem is most live mixers have no musical knowledge either.  In one of these posts it was mentioned no guitar was present out front.  I would heard that in a microsecond and gone looking for the problem.  Because one should look up see what is supposed to be there but some live guys just cannot do that for some reason.

If the "engineer" had glanced down he would have found it. Or at least should have. The desk was at the back of the auditorium, about 800 capacity. Had a look on the way out, it was an everyday 24-track or so analogue Soundcraft.

Now, call me paranoid but I've always thought it a good idea to take a glance across the desk when a new band comes on following a change-over to make sure the channel indicators, whether meters or just a single LED, are showing there's something coming in on the channels where audio is expected and nothing on the ones where it isn't. Then double check the mutes and solos. Even better do a quick line-check during the change-overs.

No such caution for our hero though it seems. When he finally realised something was badly wrong the first thing that happened was a stage hand walked on and shifted the amp mic, an SM57 by the look of it, a few inches. No change. OK, switch the cable to the stage-box. No change. Lengthy pause for head-scratching. OK, engineer goes on stage and fiddles around with the mic and cable for a bit. Taps mic. Takes it out of clip and - queue fanfare - turns it on. Instant howl so turns it off...

Eventually sorted after an unscheduled 10 minute plus "interval".
    Jeff Evans
    Another problem too is when someone takes a solo most live mixers cannot hear that and they end up just at the same too low volume.  I move that person to the centre and turn them up to bring out the solo and then when finished moved them back and turn them down a little.  That is something from my Jazz days I suppose.

People with the ability and musical feel to get sound right are out there, and there's a lot of them. But, as you say, there are also quite a number who are in completely the wrong profession and sound engineering can make or break a gig.

From a musician's point of view the problem isn't just bad sound during the gig. If the sound is rubbish the punters tend not to think "really good band sadly let down by poor sound engineering, not their fault" but "rubbish/boring band".

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/15 00:58:58 (permalink)
    I saw a Genesis tribute band in a small venue. They were pretty good but the guy on the mixing desk was apparently unfamiliar with the material and ruined some otherwise good moments. He was prone to turning up the guitar every time the guitarist looked as though he was was about to do something interesting, unaware that the guitar parts were meant to be mostly supportive and counterpointing to the keyboard parts. I went to see them again a year later. Same venue, same guy mixing, no improvement.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/15 01:22:01 (permalink)
    Saw Lenny Kravitz play once, didn't hear him. I heard him sing, I heard the band, I saw him play, but couldn't hear him. Whole gig, nothing. I think it was the last Glastonbury I went to about  15 years ago.

Been to a lot of festivals with a great sound. Not normally the main stages though.

codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/15 10:23:02 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans
    Live mixing is an industry that seems to have attracted many people who are just plain useless and have no ears at all.  There does not seem to be any consistency or regulation in it for some reason.

This is very true.... but I do find regions where good sounds techs are abundant. I am lucky to live in such a region. Winnipeg is head office to one of the largest sound company's in Canada and some of the finest techs in the industry. Fly by night techs are not tolerated by the artists here.... if you are not a good tech, you do not get hired. The other company's (independent, small or large) raise their standards to compete... and techs essentially "apprentice" under good/great techs before heading out on their own.

I read threads all the time about bad sound techs and a complete lack of trust in them. Yes - I have witnessed that in my travels, but rarely encounter it locally.

post edited by codamedia - 2016/02/15 10:40:35

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    bitflipper
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/15 11:13:21 (permalink)
    I've also witnessed intentional sabotage. Usually, it's the headliner making sure the opening act sounds worse.

My Stuff
    TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/15 11:26:21 (permalink)
    Kamikaze
    Saw Lenny Kravitz play once, didn't hear him. I heard him sing, I heard the band, I saw him play, but couldn't hear him. Whole gig, nothing. I think it was the last Glastonbury I went to about  15 years ago.

From 2014...why I don't go to Glastonbury any more.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/22 08:34:22 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    That was not the case. It was a flown array, but it was the band's own gear and their own FOH guy. And he was an old guy! Old as me. Old enough you'd assume he had a lot of experience.

Or perhaps old enough that he just didn't give a sh*t anymore.

The Old guy probably has the same issue I do.  Lack of mid range hearing.  Too many concerts/gigs with sound too loud.  I don't trust my ears any more for live sound, but get a general consensus when I do it.  I also rely a lot on my DriveRack for initial settings.

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    bitflipper
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/22 10:54:38 (permalink)
    I won't make excuses for the Old Guy. 30 years of live mixing probably has degraded his hearing, but surely he knows about spectrum analyzers.

They've had some pretty sophisticated auto-EQ systems for many years, too. Heck, I was using an RTA for PAs back in the 80s because I didn't have the luxury of a sound guy to make corrections on the fly. It wasn't ideal, but at least I could avoid the icepick-to-the-ear syndrome.

My Stuff
    patm300e
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/22 13:33:11 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    I won't make excuses for the Old Guy. 30 years of live mixing probably has degraded his hearing, but surely he knows about spectrum analyzers.

They've had some pretty sophisticated auto-EQ systems for many years, too. Heck, I was using an RTA for PAs back in the 80s because I didn't have the luxury of a sound guy to make corrections on the fly. It wasn't ideal, but at least I could avoid the icepick-to-the-ear syndrome.

I agree if he had a spectrum analyzer available, there IS no excuse.  They definitely help me out.  Just someone who doesn't know what he is doing in that case.  Sad that they can make fair $$$ and not know anything.

On the other side of the coin, I went to see Spyro Gyra (sp?) at Wolf Trap (in Virginia).  I had a seat right next to the FOH!  Best seat in the house and the guy did a great job mixing it.  After the show, I told him so!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    bitflipper
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/22 19:32:14 (permalink)
    I always make a point of thanking airline pilots and FOH mixers on my way out the door. My theory is that maybe they'll do their jobs better if they know the customer's paying attention.

My Stuff
    patm300e
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/25 09:15:42 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    I always make a point of thanking airline pilots and FOH mixers on my way out the door. My theory is that maybe they'll do their jobs better if they know the customer's paying attention.

+1 on this definitely thank the pilot!  FOH mixers too!

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/27 09:07:01 (permalink)
    Oh my! ...... church sound guys and gals.... they chafe my posterior parts. Most are well meaning and think that because they have a nice stereo at home or used to "work sound" with a band 20 years ago, think they can mix sound. Most have no education...and yeah, they do have classes you can attend. At least learn a few basic things beyond where the power switch is, the volume faders, and the external graphic EQ that's not intended to look like a mountain range portrait when you finish.  

One particular church had horrible sound. They were planning to bring in a company and were going to pay them $10,000 to analyze the sound in the room and make a suggestion on how to "fix it"..... (I'm in the wrong business apparently)  I was a musician on stage at the time and got wind of this through one of the guys working  the lights. We got the key to the church and went in after hours one evening to "play" with the sound system. We invited the sound guy and his alternate to join us in tweeking the system. Neither showed up.  
    It was a basic 24 ch mixer and some amps with speakers and an outboard rack for EQ and compression and FX.   We checked the wiring and re-configured a few things. Then, we loaded a CD of some rock and roll and started to tweek the system using various CD's.  It started out sounding really bad.... no low end, muted highs, peaked mids....like a typical Sunday morning.  By the time we got done it was really sounding good. Floor shaking bass..... we discovered that the sub was unplugged.... smooth mids and crisp highs.  The pastor came in and commented on the music and the fact  that it did sound much better.  We taped a note to the outboard EQ.... "DON"T TOUCH".    Sunday morning came and we told the FOH guy we had the system sounding good and all he needed to do was to set the levels.  Do you think he listened?  Nope.... by the end of the first service P&W music.... 15 minutes into the service.... the note on the EQ was removed and the EQ looked like a mountain range again... the lows were gone, the highs muffled and the mids all shot to heck....  why did we even bother?  And yeah, the MM paid that company to come in and do what we did,,,, paid the $10k and bought the "fix for another $20k... which sounded no better than what they had because the FOH guy still didn't know what to do with it.

At another church, I begged our music minister to send our crew to some kind of training. Mics not on when they were supposed to be on, the guitar totally missing from the music because putting it in the PA "would make it too loud".... I watched a video of a theatrical performance the church did.... well rehearsed, nice theatrical production chops, and a live orchestra playing the music.... The video was taken from the FOH booth position..... no guitar was evident on the places where the guitar had a moderate solo.  Trying to explain to them reinforcement of sound was for quality not volume got blank stares in return.

I have had the opportunity to set in on a class for one of the new digital mixers a short time back. They are essentially like the DAW's we use in a hardware/software hybrid box.   If you know the GUI and with a reasonable amount of time to learn your way around, there's no excuse to have a silent mic on stage.   Our church at that time had not moved to digital, they were still running a normal analog mixer. So it was all right there in front of them. Problem was, no one really understood the fundamentals of sound.   It was a rare church service that I walked out saying it really sounded good.  

I'm no expert, however, I do know a little about sound, mixing and have an idea what I'm listening to in the music. I've only been to a few churches that actually had good sound mixed the way it should be and at a reasonable level. It seems that the contemporary churches I've been to have all started down the "louder is better" route and that's good to a certain point but some of them are becoming a bit too loud. I've attended rock concerts that were quieter than some contemporary church service bands.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    MakerDP
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 117
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/02/27 11:07:48 (permalink)
    Church sound... oi vey... when I used to set up church systems, the main EQ was always put in a locked cabinet.

Church sound people are generally very well-meaning people. They just lack the training and generally never attend rehearsals with the band. They NEED to be considered a member of the worship team and be expected to show up for every practice.

I have witnessed the "throw money at the problem" issue too. SOOO much money wasted on "cure-alls" like fancy consultants, state-of-the-art equipment like motorized digital mixers with scene memory, expensive in-ear monitoring systems... all stuff that serves to further confuse a well-meaning, untrained sound tech. I was deeply involved in  a church that had such a crazy "live" room that getting a good mix was VERY difficult. They spent a bunch of money to do some acoustic room treatments and THAT was money well-spent.

A wise church board will save their money (or better yet invest it in their community or missions) and send their sound techs to a week of training somewhere BEFORE buying all that fancy gear. More often than not, they'll realize they never needed all that expensive stuff to begin with and can get along just fine with what they have or maybe just augment/upgrade one or two key weak links.

jpetersen
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1499
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/03/12 09:17:16 (permalink)
    Very stressful job.

#1 priority is: don't let feedback happen. Sometimes you have a desk with a mid parametric but not always.
    So all the "experts" will say, easy! Turn it down! Right. Tell the band that.

First reference is the drums. Covers all the frequencies. The drum loudness determines the overall level you have to work with. Telling a drummer to tone down works for about the first 10 minutes. If at all.

Next: Guitar amp stacks so loud, the bass doesn't even keep up.
    So I tell the guitarist: Turn that down, please!
    No way! The tone only comes when the speakers are at their limit.
    Hoo, boy. So get a 30W combo - yeah, I know. Not as macho as a solid wall of Marshalls.
    I try get guitarists to turn themselves down by putting them very loud in their own monitors.
    Sometimes it works, sometimes they revel in their own ego.

Then comes the singers. They want to hear a full round bass on their voice, so not only proximity effect, they want you to turn up the bass, too. I usually turn vocal bass down slowly as the evening progresses.
    And the guitarists turn themselves up as the evening progresses.

What the heck can one do.

In the end, when the sound's good, it's a great band.
    If the sound's ****e, it's the sound guy's fault.

I hate this job. I very rarely volunteer anymore.
    post edited by jpetersen - 2016/03/12 09:43:25
    Paul P
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/03/12 10:20:57 (permalink)
    jpetersen

Been there, a long time ago.  Back when I knew nothing.  Large choir and rock band.  Everything you said brought back memories (including stuffing cigarette pack tin foil into the desk's fuse holder during a show because the fuses kept blowing).  The guitar player hated me.  Every time he turned himself up I'd turn him back down (very slowly).

bitflipper
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/03/12 13:11:28 (permalink)
    You'd think that in-ear monitoring would have solved the appease-the-musicians conundrum. Once they stick in their IEMs they have no way of knowing what's coming out the front. Turn the guitarist up in his mix, the bass player in his mix, and make the singer think he's alone on the stage. Everybody's happy.

I have never actually tried such a thing in a live venue. But it works in the studio.

My Stuff
    tlw
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/03/12 16:09:51 (permalink)
    jpetersen
    Very stressful job.

#1 priority is: don't let feedback happen. Sometimes you have a desk with a mid parametric but not always.
    So all the "experts" will say, easy! Turn it down! Right. Tell the band that.

Personally I prefer a 1/3 octave graphic strapped across the mains after any compression for that job, preferably one with an indicator per band that can show me which bands are running wild. More surgical and very quick because there's no need to start trying to track down which mixer channel needs adjusting.

jpetersen
    Next: Guitar amp stacks so loud, the bass doesn't even keep up.
    So I tell the guitarist: Turn that down, please!
    No way! The tone only comes when the speakers are at their limit.
    Hoo, boy. So get a 30W combo - yeah, I know. Not as macho as a solid wall of Marshalls.
    I try get guitarists to turn themselves down by putting them very loud in their own monitors.
    Sometimes it works, sometimes they revel in their own ego.

I'd just like to give a very special mention to the sound person who told me that my guitar amp was way, way too loud for the 500 capacity room. The FOH PA being a full-range 8 kilowatt system, 4K foldback and the guitar amp a 5 watt Epiphone Valve Junior turned about half way up.

Eventually we realised he was actually complaining about the piano, which was at the volume he'd turned it up to. :-/

jpetersen
    And the guitarists turn themselves up as the evening progresses.

Usually the result of an unavoidable hearing shift that takes anything up to 30 minutes to kick in. Assuming the holdback mix is any good to start with and is holding its own against echoes coming back off the FOH rig that's the most common cause of people wanting the foldback turning up all the time. That or my personal hate, musicians/singers who soundcheck quietly and timidly then let rip once in front of an audience, so destroying most of the point of having a soundcheck at all.

jpetersen
    What the heck can one do.

If the band's doing more than one set, try turning the foldback down 3dB between the sets. They'll want it raised again in due course, but you're starting from a lower point than you left off.

If the guitar amp is too loud to go in the PA, maybe don't put it in the PA. Unfortunately telling some guitarists that two or three cranked 100W Marshalls or screaming Twins was only done that way back in the 60s/70s because the PAs of the time were really meant for vocals only so the guitar volume was very dependent on the backline amps is wasted on some. The rest of us, when we want a cranked or breaking-up amp sound, use a smaller amp between 15 and 40 watts as you say. Easier to carry, less hearing damage, a consistent tone because it's always run at the same level and so long as it can compete with the cymbals for stage volume plenty powerful enough.

One trick that's worth trying with an over-loud guitarist is to turn their amp so it's projecting across the stage diagonally, not straight at the audience. And if you've a 4x12" cab pointing at the mix position, take a walk around before judging the guitar volume in the mix. 4x12s have a very narrow dispersion and can be deafening in front of them and much less audible a few feet to the side (and bass heavy). The closer you are to the cab the more that happens, and sometimes guitarists who can't hear themselves are off to the side of the cabs and out of the dispersion pattern. They can fix that by getting in front of their amp. Which in turn means they'll turn it down if it's blasting their head off. For the same reason, get any guitar speakers off the ground or they'll be blasting the front row of the audience but the band can't really hear them unless they keep their ears where most people have knees.

jpetersen
    In the end, when the sound's good, it's a great band.
    If the sound's ****e, it's the sound guy's fault.

As far as the audience is concerned, it's rarely the sound engineer's fault. Because most people have no idea at all what sound engineering is or what engineers do. Other than say "one two, one two.." into microphones.

A good system run by a good engineer can make an average band sound huge, a good band with a lousy PA/engineer can sound spectacularly bad. Being on stage with a rubbish foldback mix is horrible, and doesn't inspire the slightest bit of confidence about what's coming out of the FOH system either. For any venue where the main sound is through a PA, not backline, the band are completely depending on the sound people to get it right.

It's a two-way thing, each is dependent on the other. And it really helps if the band understand PA and the engineer understands what musicians need to hear on stage. And, going back to my earlier comment, if the engineer can tell the difference between an electric piano and a slide guitar/lap steel.

jpetersen

For some reason the jobs you volunteer to do to help someone out often turn out to be the worst nightmares that you carry with you to the grave. A phenomenon not limited to music or engineering either, it seems to be one of life's universal truths.

tlw
    Re: Good advice for live venue mixers 2016/03/12 16:20:28 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    I have never actually tried such a thing in a live venue. But it works in the studio.

In ear monitoring is pretty standard on big stages these days of course. I've used it with a primarily acoustic band many times and for occasional electronica gigs, and it works very well. What I don't like it for much is bluesy electric guitar where expressive tone and dynamics are involved. Maybe it's psychological, but I need to hear the guitar speaker or things just don't sound comfortable. Using only one in-ear works well enough, so long as there's no guitar in it.

In-ear's not a universal panacea to feedback and foldback problems, but in a band with a lot of live mics being able to get rid of foldback speakers can make a huge difference to the entire system's headroom before feedback. Though you really, really do not want to set off feedback in in-ear monitoring systems.

It can happen, and unless the earbuds are a good fit and seal the ear canal properly it will happen as soon as someone approaches a microphone that's fed to their ear-buds. Apple-style earbuds which project into the ear but don't seal are just as dangerous as earbuds which just rest in the ear.

Oh, and send people a mono foldback feed. To hear yourself singing 10 feet away to your left is very much like being very drunk, moving around in that scenario even more so.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1