Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth

Author
rgalbraith
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2016/02/14 01:12:38 (permalink)

Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth

Hi everyone! This is the first third or so of Salve intemerata, a piece written for vocals by Thomas Tallis (c. 1505-1585). I multitracked my modular synthesizer using Sonar X2. Any other modular users around here??

I'm currently working on a full-length project of Tallis' music (including all 23-odd minutes of the piece linked to above), hopefully to be finished later this year.
post edited by rgalbraith - 2016/02/15 11:01:43

17 Replies Related Threads

rgalbraith
    Re: Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth 2016/02/14 01:14:35 (permalink)
    Oh, oops. Didn't see the restriction on posting links until I've already posted a new thread.

Sorry!
    rgalbraith
    Re: Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth 2016/02/15 10:49:27 (permalink)
    OK, I'll try to post this soundcloud link again...

Hmm. oh well, it still won't let me.

post edited by rgalbraith - 2016/02/15 11:03:37
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth 2016/02/15 12:12:37 (permalink)
    You need more posts before you can include a link, it's a spam filter thing.

https://soundcloud.com/sp...temerata-thomas-tallis

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth 2016/02/15 12:14:58 (permalink)
    Sounds wonderful by the way, especially when it really fills out at 4 mins, that's gorgeous.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth 2016/02/15 13:50:07 (permalink)
    Thanks to James sorting a link for you, as James says Nice!

Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    MrDoc
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re: Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth 2016/02/15 18:22:20 (permalink)
    Oh, man, it's like an ear/brain massage!
    rgalbraith
    Re: Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth 2016/02/15 18:45:34 (permalink)
    Thanks, for listening and commenting! And thank you so much for helping me out with the link. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. I apparently had to have 5 posts to put the link there, and I had 6 when I tried for the second time...oh well. Thanks again!

I know it's not the sort of thing perhaps usually posted here (I've done a little searching here for modular users, haven't come up with anything yet), but I wanted to share it as another example of sonar in use. I've been a Sonar user since Sonar 6, and it's been a great work environment for me. 
    daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth 2016/02/16 13:59:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link James - this is excellent - very soothing.
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth 2016/02/16 14:53:52 (permalink)
    Very soothing...

I really like the muted tones you used during the first section, they lead really well into the brighter tones that follow.   And overall, though it's obviously a synth piece, there's something nicely organic about it.  

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

jkoseattle
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 556
    Re: Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth 2016/02/16 15:18:16 (permalink)
    Using slightly different colors for each voice in the piece makes it more interesting than the just using real people voices as in the original. It gave me a new way to look at this kind of sacred music, which always kind of left me cold. You give it new life.

Sonar Version: Platinum  
    Audio Interface: M-Audio Delta
    Computer: Dell i5 3.1 GHz, 12Gb RAM, Windows 10 64-bit
    Soft Synths: EastWest PLAY Symphonic Orchestra
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio 2x2 MidiSport Anniv Edition
    Settings: 16-Bit, Sample Rate 44.1k, ASIO Buffer Size 128-1024, Record/Playback I/O Buffers play:256k, rec: 64k, Total Round Trip Latency 48 ms  
    Check out my work here
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re: Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth 2016/02/16 23:26:31 (permalink)
    Sounds really good. Thanks for sharing!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    rgalbraith
    Re: Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth 2016/02/18 23:13:02 (permalink)
    Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it!
    Still working on this piece...I've now got about 18 minutes of the +/-23 mostly finished.
    Bert Guy
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1042
    Re: Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth 2016/02/20 02:15:10 (permalink)
    Richard,

I must confess that I am a huge aficionado of the music of Thomas Tallis ; I have his complete works on disc along with multiple versions of his best compositions. His visionary and inspirational music has an ineffable celestial quality, unique in my experience, which speaks to a sublime sense of spirituality. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say I have listened to his music on a daily basis for years.

I have long thought that many of Tallis’ compositions would make fabulous instrumental transcriptions (most of his oeuvre are acapella choral pieces) as most of them are contrapuntal settings as elegant and sophisticated as a Bach fugue. There aren’t that many instrumental recordings of his music (years ago, The Kronos Quartet did a wonderful reading of his surpassing masterpiece Spem in Alium that is one of my most treasured recordings), so I am delighted to come across this project on the Songs Forum.

Salve Intemerata is a very interesting and good choice for an instrumental. It is Tallis’ earliest known large scale masterpiece and it represents an astonishing achievement for a then-unknown church musician in his mid-twenties. Salve is written in phrygian mode -the same mode as his more famous 3rd Mode Melody which Sir Ralph Vaughan Williams used as the basis for his masterpiece “Variations on a Theme by Thomas Tallis”- and this mode (I think) imparts a mysterious quality to both compositions.

I find this (partial) rendering of Salve Intemerata drop dead gorgeous. The synth sounds are rich, sustained, layered, and thick, with slow attack/decay not unlike the human voice or a horn. There is good contrast between the string, horn, and organ voicings.  About halfway, there commences a luminous, sustained, and gentle crescendo that I just can’t get enough of. I greatly admire the phrasing/shaping of the melodic lines. Very artistic. 

I am hearing an original and unique interpretation of an almost 500 year old masterpiece. All that glitters is gold. I can’t wait to hear the entire project.

Cheers,

Bert
    post edited by Bert Guy - 2016/02/26 21:34:02

Silence is so accurate

http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=587673

rgalbraith
    Re: Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth 2016/02/20 15:45:31 (permalink)
    Bert,

Your comments are so very complimentary, and as they are coming from someone who really knows and has an affinity for this music, I hardly know how to respond adequately beyond "thank you!" I find it especially meaningful that you, as someone who is intimately familiar with Tallis' music, have found something to enjoy in my electronic rendition. I too love this music, and I hope it is apparent that I have the greatest respect for it. Somehow Tallis managed to combine introspection, beauty, a sense of form and balance, and great depth of emotion in his work.

As far as this particular piece is concerned, I've noticed that many commentators prefer the subsequent mass Tallis wrote based upon this music (Missa salve intemerata), citing the mass as a superior, more mature work. I find that i prefer this earler piece though. I really like the way it unfolds slowly over time, forming a sort of majestic arc as it progresses. It is very difficult for me to create a recording of a work of this length, though. I find it hard to keep it unified and coherent on the one hand, while on the other trying to maintain forward momentum and I guess "freshness" for the listeners' ears thoughout the piece.

I'm very glad the synth is working well for it. My goal with recording music of this sort is to hopefully demonstrate some expressive capability of synthesizers. I want it to sound like there's a human or humans behind it all, not a machine. I'm trying to sound something like an ensemble of instruments of some kind (real or imaginary), played together but with emotion and feeling. Hopefully I've done this to a certain extent, and accounts for the "organic feeling" noted by Stevec above (thank you, Stevec!).

Again, thank you so much for your comments. Your kind words and encouragement mean an awful lot.

Richard
    twisted6s
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2001
    Re: Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth 2016/02/20 20:36:54 (permalink)
    Absolutely beautiful

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
    https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth 2016/02/21 10:09:30 (permalink)
    Hello, this comes at the perfect time for me.  I have lately been listening to Hildegard of Bingen, Rachmaninoff "Vespers," and Barber's "Agnes Dei."  This would fit very well into that rotation.

Now I can skip "Millenium of Music" radio show on the Public station this morning.

Nice, you are good.

Jesse Q. Screed
    Bert Guy
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1042
    Re: Music of Thomas Tallis recorded with a modular synth 2016/02/28 18:25:21 (permalink)
    Richard,
    I spent some time this morning meditatively listening -multiple times- to this splendid instrumental version of Salve Intemerata, and, a great choral version of the same by the Tallis Scholars (listening to choral music is something I frequently do Sunday morning in lieu of attending a church service). This close comparative listening makes me certain that SI was a truly inspired choice for an instrumental. Your version greatly enhances my appreciation of the choral version, while the choral version, likewise, greatly enhances my appreciation of your interpretation. In both versions, the ethereal & celestial concinnity, present in so much of Tallis’s work, shimmers briightly.

A quality of music that I prize most is warmth. And I find it remarkable how much warmth I feel in your digital recording of Salve Intemerata. I attribute this warmth to your instrument (an analogue synthesizer) and the fact that you expressively recorded this awesome masterpiece, line-by-line, directly into your DAW, in real time.

Also, I agree with your sense that Salve Intemerata is a superior work to (the subsequent masterwork) Missa Salve Intemerata, as this subsequent mass was clearly derived from SI, and, it actually quotes the seminal composition extensively. (The essential notes to Chappelle Du Roi Complete Tallis Works state unequivocally that Salve Intemerata is Tallis’s 2nd greatest composition, with the astonishing Spem in Aleum his “Everest” and SI his “Matterhorn”.)
    Richard, yours is a massively hip cover. Bravo!

Cheers,
    Bert

Silence is so accurate

http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=587673

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1