Huge Red Tailed Hawk took a groundhog...

Author
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
2016/02/14 11:50:29 (permalink)

Huge Red Tailed Hawk took a groundhog...

I just noticed my cat on the front porch staring up at something and looked across the road up in the trees and saw something that looked like a dog. I got the binoculars and it was a Red Tailed Hawk and it was the size of medium dog. I saw it flying about 10 days ago and thought it was an eagle until I saw the red tail, it is enormous.
When looking through the binoculars just now I saw a groundhog on the other side of the tree. Then I noticed the hawk's mate nearby in the tree and Blue Jays hopping around but not getting too close. Then the hawk took the groundhog and with no trouble at all flew off to another tree, I've seen Red Tails struggle flying with a squirrel but this hawk is a monster. I couldn't believe my eyes. He was near twice the size of Red Tails I've seen before.

Do you know if there is any way to get these birds re-located? I know I can't shoot them, prison does not appeal to me but I have a cat that prefers the outside unless it is below freezing. She sleeps inside but LOVES to hunt voles and lizards and anything smaller, like the hawk does... so I can't complain about nature and I'm not going to make my cat's life miserable. She is a 7.5# Manx.
I'll keep a closer eye on her. There is a sort of field across the street with broom straw. That's probably where the hawk got the ground hog, I've seen them there and across the field in a lot.. but sometimes she (my cat) likes to g over there. Next time I see her over there I'll go run her back home. Don't know what else I can do. I have two neighbors with outside/inside cats. I guess I need to tell them.

Any advice? Thanks

Julien

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!

14 Replies Related Threads

jbow
    Re: Huge Red Tailed Hawk took a groundhog... 2016/02/14 13:14:22 (permalink)
    I researched and came up with either a 12 gauge "Shellcracker" or alternative. It is a shotgun shell that exploded at 200 to 300 ft, according to which you buy. They have a loud report and screamers.
    If I can't get that, fireworks are legal here and I can get some of the big tubes with the really loud report. That should work. I'm going to get a couple of Kestrel houses put up too. They will run larger hawks out of their territory. Maybe a fake owl too, IDK. I do have a .50 caliber Hawken muzzleloader, I can load a bean bag, or wad of paper, and shoot in their direction. Maybe they will leave. I'm still amazed that a Red Tail could fly holding a groundhog. They should be full for a few days, lol.

J

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    craigb
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Huge Red Tailed Hawk took a groundhog... 2016/02/14 18:15:26 (permalink)
    So does this mean there's only four more weeks of Winter or not?  I'm so confused... 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Huge Red Tailed Hawk took a groundhog... 2016/02/14 20:58:19 (permalink)
    We do birds.  My property is in the territory of bald eagles, red tail hawks and a harrier.  They all hunt here at different times.  Sometimes the red tail and harrier get into a mild tussle trying to run each other off.  It's great to watch nature's tales unfold.  We also have a horned owl that hunts here along with coopers hawks and kestrels.

How did we get so lucky?  My wife has an 80+ pair Purple Martin colony that attracts the owl at night and coopers by day.

The rest of the property is managed specifically for quail.  This also makes it ideal habitat for squirrels, rabbits, field mice, voles, snakes and all manner of hawk, eagle and coyote food.

I've had to modify the Martin housing such that it is enclosed in cages with openings large enough for Martins, but too small for owls and hawks.  There is a new challenge every year.

Despite being a favorite meal for all of the predators, my quail population thrives because I ensure adequate escape and brooding cover for them.  It's a very rewarding thing ...

I won't go into any details about the feral cat problem here and how I am forced to deal with it.  The hawks, owls and coyotes don't seem to have much of an effect on the cat population, so maybe you won't have any problems.  I'm really glad to read that you recognize which critters are indigenous and which aren't.  

Wyle E stopped by for an early morning visit last year while I was having coffee ...

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Huge Red Tailed Hawk took a groundhog... 2016/02/14 21:12:43 (permalink)
    So a simple dog or cat just wasn't good enough for ya, eh? 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    robbyk
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 705
    Re: Huge Red Tailed Hawk took a groundhog... 2016/02/15 11:09:22 (permalink)
    jbow 
    I got the binoculars and it was a Red Tailed Hawk and it was the size of medium dog.

Any advice? Thanks

Julien

My last drummer has retired to the reservation, he is a chief of the Ojibwe.

He would say you are blessed by the presence of the hawk. :)

Still you are correct to keep guard over your cat. I have two families of hawks on my property or nearby and my good friend and neighbor always watch over their tiny pooches on their walks.

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
    Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
    Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
    Studio
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Huge Red Tailed Hawk took a groundhog... 2016/02/15 12:01:25 (permalink)
    jbow
    looked across the road up in the trees and saw something that looked like a dog. I got the binoculars and it was a Red Tailed Hawk

Any advice? Thanks

Julien

Perhaps a trip to the opticians?   

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    jbow
    Re: Huge Red Tailed Hawk took a groundhog... 2016/02/17 10:09:05 (permalink)
    jamesg1213
    jbow
    looked across the road up in the trees and saw something that looked like a dog. I got the binoculars and it was a Red Tailed Hawk

Any advice? Thanks

Julien

Perhaps a trip to the opticians?   

I've been there. It was BIG.

@Bob, in my research I read that Great Horned Owls will prey on Red Tails. Do you ever notice the hawks giving the owls space?

If I see it again I will try to get some pictures. Thankfully I've never heard or seen coyotes around here but they probably are around. We have deer that come in the yard and eat. I have not seen as many groundhogs as I did last year though. I guess I know why now. We have a great mixture of wild birds that visit the squirrel feeders... lol. We are not far away from I-75 and I often wonder if migratory birds follow it as if it were a river because of the birds we get that are out of their normal range.
    The house finches have been decimated by an eye disease. They were brought east by people in the past. Not too many left. Five or ten years ago they were everywhere. Unfortunately the cat killed a goldfinch last week and brought it to the back door. (She hardly ever kills a bird, usually she gets them and lets them go in the screened rear deck so she can chase them some more). Anyway the goldfinch had the eye disease. That's BAD. Cardinals are dominate this year, they are everywhere here.
    I love to watch the wildlife but I don't want it eating my pets but I refuse to keep my cat inside. She would live a miserable life, if a longer one. I'd rather her have a shorter happier life than a long miserable life. About 4 years ago she brought up three young hares. She didn't harm them at all, they were huddled in a corner of the porch. I gathered them up and took them a about 100 yards away and let them go in a kudzu patch. I hope they made it.
    I do get a kick out of greasing the feeder poles and watching the squirrels slide down them over and over. They never give up. I would shoot that coyote if I were you. They can be dangerous to kids and all pets, especially young and old pets (and people). One took a lady's dog off the leash in a Atlanta suburb neighborhood a few years ago. They are bold. I relocate raccoons, I probably shouldn't but I can't bring myself to kill them even though over half of them carry rabies. Heck, I've relocated rats before... or maybe it was a small dog.

J

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Huge Red Tailed Hawk took a groundhog... 2016/02/17 10:31:06 (permalink)
    yea, don't mess with the hawk.

it's just doing what it does.
    you are in IT's territory, so respect that.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

DrLumen
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 621
    Re: Huge Red Tailed Hawk took a groundhog... 2016/02/17 19:54:48 (permalink)
    Holy crap. Just a while after reading this thread I ran across this:
    http://news.yahoo.com/york-man-pleads-guilty-capturing-killing-hawks-003006729.html

Honestly, I didn't know hawks were protected although I wouldn't mess with them anyway. They are beautiful birds. There aren't many around here so I have never had to worry about one carrying off one of the cats or dogs.
    post edited by DrLumen - 2016/02/17 20:09:15

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
    BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Huge Red Tailed Hawk took a groundhog... 2016/02/18 10:00:38 (permalink)
    jbow
    @Bob, in my research I read that Great Horned Owls will prey on Red Tails. Do you ever notice the hawks giving the owls space?

J

The only time we see the owl(s) are in the height of the Martin season, especially when the young birds begin to fledge, and then only during the night.  We see an odd feather here and there during the day, but rarely an owl.

This is the first season we've seen a red tail hang around this much.  Hopefully the hawk will harass the owl out of the area as red tails aren't a threat to Martins.

Here's a short vid of the owl trying to scare Martins out.  This was after I added the cage ... you can see Martins escaping under the cage.  Once in the air the Martins easily out-maneuver the owl.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

jbow
    Re: Huge Red Tailed Hawk took a groundhog... 2016/02/19 19:51:58 (permalink)
    batsbrew
    yea, don't mess with the hawk.

it's just doing what it does.
    you are in IT's territory, so respect that.

Yes, well I've been here about 10 years and I've only seen him (them) this year. I've had falcons. So, wherever it wants to go is it's territory? Do I have a territory? I think I do... but I'm not going to shoot it but I have a fiend with a trapping business.

eh.. I think it will all be ok.

J

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    jbow
    Re: Huge Red Tailed Hawk took a groundhog... 2016/02/19 19:53:49 (permalink)
    DrLumen
    Holy crap. Just a while after reading this thread I ran across this:
    http://news.yahoo.com/york-man-pleads-guilty-capturing-killing-hawks-003006729.html

Honestly, I didn't know hawks were protected although I wouldn't mess with them anyway. They are beautiful birds. There aren't many around here so I have never had to worry about one carrying off one of the cats or dogs.

It is also a federal crime to bend down and pick up a blue jay feather, a eagle feather... just let it blow away.

J

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    robbyk
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 705
    Re: Huge Red Tailed Hawk took a groundhog... 2016/02/20 10:31:42 (permalink)
    jbow
    It is also a federal crime to bend down and pick up a blue jay feather, a eagle feather... just let it blow away.

J

Yes the eagle feather is sacred, but I doubt if a blue jay has such protection...

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
    Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
    Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
    Studio
    Moshkito
    Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3765
    Re: Huge Red Tailed Hawk took a groundhog... 2016/02/20 11:34:44 (permalink)
    jbow
    ... or maybe it was a small dog.

I got one of those right here next door ... in fact, I call him "Chinese dinner", and is the reason why he hates me with a passion and screams, whines and barks as soon as he sees me ... that hawk would have a field day with this one! And a heck of a dinner!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1