Windows 10...first impressions

Author
ston
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 965
2016/02/18 05:45:02 (permalink)

Windows 10...first impressions

When I got into work this week, my laptop had decided to throw a right wobbly over the weekend.  Unable to see VM samba shares, Windows update mechanism completely borked, really wonky behaviour.  Unable to get any work done at all.  Would it be too cynical of me to suggest that M$ are deliberately ruining W7/8 boxes to 'persuade' people to upgrade to 10?  Hell, that's what I'd do ;-)

Anyway, faced with a choice between defenestration and some other desperate measure, I burned a W10 Enterprise DVD and upgraded.

MAN, have they not streamlined that process!  4 hours to upgrade the OS?  Blimey.  Eventually the deed was done, my immortal soul pledged, evidence of the crime hidden.

You get a choice as to what to share with the cloud/M$ on first start, i.e. as little as possible (diagnostics stuff seems like a good idea, but pretty much nothing else).  I got really annoyed at the stupid Cortana thing in the task bar; something that looks like a search box and which says, "Search the computer and the web' (or something like that) should be a bloody search box.  So Cortana got disabled.  Nice.  Not tried the new Edge browser yet, AIUI it's a complete re-write not an IE re-skin.  I had to go back to using Firefox recently despite it's ludicrous resource hogging as Opera has really lost pace with current website development and just doesn't work properly with a lot of websites any more, which is a real shame but they just don't have the resources to keep pace.  I intend to see how Edge behaves wrt Firefox.

Other than that, it's same-old, really.  New skin.  I now know where Presonus got their idea for the Studio One v3 UI design.  Bonus: the bloody horrible Metro UI crap has gone.  Good riddance to bad rubbish; stop shoe-horning tablet/touch-screen UI's into full fat machines ffs.  They have tried shoving a reduced version of it into the start menu, which I find annoying.  'Life at a glance'?  Who comes up with this garbage?  Fortunately I have a very sophisticated built-in Marketing BS filter which runs in tandem with my British Ultra Cynicism (TM).  You can unpin stuff from there, but have not started doing that yet as I'm not currently sure if the icons will just be auto-replaced with even more annoying stuff.  Pictures of bloody cats, most likely.

I like the thinner, tighter windows-edge lines.  I like the fact that the command line has finally been given some attention and is now actually a proper window.  It still ain't no Unix shell, but it is better.

For some inexplicable reason, the VirtualBox-side network settings got borked during the upgrade process, so I had to reconfigure DHCP and such but that was only a couple minutes work.

One thing I don't like (perhaps this can be configured) is that hovering over icons in the systray area no longer pops up tooltip-like information as to the state of the utility (was that part of aero?)  e.g. if I hover over the Pulse VPN client icon, it no longer tells me if I'm connected or not, or as another example, hovering over the volume icon no longer tells me the current volume setting.

[Aside: Guthrie Govan is a bit good isn't he]

System Endpoint Protection has been replaced with Windows Defender.  Um, didn't Endpoint Protection previously replace Defender?  I think it's pretty much the same software under the hood tbh, there's a bit more 'corporate' stuff behind Endpoint Protection perhaps.

So...do I plan on upgrading any of my personal machines (my work laptop is actually my own machine, 'cos work are tight-asses who try to fob Dell garbage off on me)?  Maybe...I might upgrade the HP 360 Chrome Book Killer, and *maybe* my full-fat laptop, but my W7 Pro main DAW machine?  No.  Not broken, don't need to fix.

22 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/02/18 06:21:02 (permalink)
    Windows Defender (same as Win 8) was previously called Microsoft Security Essentials in Win 7 and earlier.

You may want to check latency.  My latency dropped from (reliable) 6ms to 4ms in Win 10, with my Roland Octa-Capture.

If you haven't found it, RIGHT click on the start icon and it will give you a menu similar to Win 7. 

Overall, I'm happy with Win 10.  Even my old Frontier Tranzport wireless controller works, although it had to be installed in a compatibility mode as the last drivers issued were for Vista.  I have a dual boot with Win 7/Win 10 but I only keep the Win 7 because I have one application (a USB/RS232C interface for my wife's embroidery machine to transfer patterns) that requires Win 7 (is not compatible and will not work on Win 8/10).

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    ston
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/02/18 07:08:28 (permalink)
    fireberd
    If you haven't found it, RIGHT click on the start icon and it will give you a menu similar to Win 7. 

Hmm, well...kinda.  Just plain text, little or no hierarchy...seems really out of place in the rest of the UI.  I'll probably install Classic Shell tbh (as I've done on the W8 lappy at home).

So I tried Edge out a bit more...I don't really like the way that UI elements change and move about based on where your mouse is and what you may have clicked on.  Still not had a proper chance to see what its resource usage is like yet.  The 'default' (new tab) page's behaviour does make me grind my teeth to powder though, I have no idea which jerk thought that infinitely scrolling web pages were a good idea (does anybody?) and on that basis alone I will probably stick to Firefox.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/02/18 08:25:02 (permalink)
    I used Start8 on Win 8/8.1 but don't really have a problem with Win 10 and never installed Start10.

I hated Edge when I first used it, but now that I have it "tamed" its not as bad.  I.E. 11 is still available in Win 10.  I also have Firefox and switch between Edge and Firefox in usage.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    jbraner
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1830
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/02/21 15:19:53 (permalink)
    Start10 is good - and keeps things just a little more "familiar" ;-)
    And it's only $5.

I haven't played with Edge yet (can't really be bothered) but I haven't had any problems at all going from Win 8.1 to Win 10. I think it's a pretty painless upgrade.

John Braner
    https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
    http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
    - Cakewalk by BandLab x64
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    - Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
    - MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
    I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
    er - that's it I think...
    ston
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/02/23 05:13:32 (permalink)
    Not much else to report...yet ;-)

WMP has been replaced with "Groove Music", an application which mistakenly assumes I want to look at pictures of Kanye West when it starts up.  I'm not sure if they're trying to appeal to the British market by making its UI as bland as possible?  It's like looking at somebody whose eyebrows have been shaved off, not a fan of that.  Back to VLC for music then.

jbraner
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/02/23 05:30:11 (permalink)
    WMP is still there for me. I just changed all the default file types for MP3 etc, from Groove music back to WMP.

NOTE: Windows keeps trying to change these back, as well as the default type for pdf files back to "Edge" - but I just keep changing them...

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    ston
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/02/23 06:20:57 (permalink)
    oh ar, you're quite right, WMP is still there and doesn't seem to have changed much.  Huh.  A quick search seems to indicate that GM is a 'doze application, so to me it seems a bit odd that they'd be supporting 2x media players at the same time.  Perhaps WMP is going to be phased out..?
    post edited by ston - 2016/02/23 06:35:19
    jbraner
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/02/23 06:23:58 (permalink)
    Perhaps WMP is going to be phased out..?

I hope not. If it does, we'll just have to find a 3rd party one - or I'm sure we'll be able to keep our old versions of WMP (and I'm sure there will be archives to download from the web if we ever need to do a fresh install of Windows...)

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/02/23 11:47:17 (permalink)
    ston
    Not much else to report...yet ;-)

WMP has been replaced with "Groove Music", an application which mistakenly assumes I want to look at pictures of Kanye West when it starts up.  I'm not sure if they're trying to appeal to the British market by making its UI as bland as possible?  It's like looking at somebody whose eyebrows have been shaved off, not a fan of that.  Back to VLC for music then.

Yeah, we're all bland in the UK 

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/02/23 12:16:22 (permalink)
    For a song collections I use Mediamonkey Gold. Its a really good player librarian.  It will take a little work to understand it but worth it. 

Best
    John
    ston
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/02/24 04:31:35 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Yeah, we're all bland in the UK 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huSP7PtctC4

"What's the blandest thing on the menu?" :-D

jbraner
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/02/24 05:11:43 (permalink)
    You know what? Yesterday, I humoured it, and left my default association for pdf files, set for Edge.
    (I keep setting it for acrobat reader and Windows keeps puttingit back). I actually like Edge better for reading pdf files! Acrobat is getting too wacky - like trying to set up the icons you like, across the top - and Edge is nice and simple. I think I'll keep it this way ;-)

I might even try Edge as a browser. I actually figured out how to replace Bing as the default search engine. It *does* seem nice and simple and straightforward (like a browser is supposed to be...)
    post edited by jbraner - 2016/02/24 05:26:15

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/02/24 12:30:12 (permalink)
    My biggest complaint with Win10 is every time I want to change some system setting it's a scavenger hunt to find where they've hidden it.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    ston
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/02/25 06:23:35 (permalink)
    Control Panel?

You can just hit the windows button in the bottom left and then type the name of the control panel component you want to change.

e.g.

click 'doze button
    type: 's o u n d s'
    First hit is: 'Change system sounds\n Control Panel'

click 'doze button
    type: 'p r o g r a m s a n d'

First hit is: 'Programs and Features\n Control Panel'

Given that M$ had already hit the absolute nadir of searching with Windows 7, they only had one direction to go in for W10.  It's a *kind* of strategy I suppose... ;-)
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/02/25 10:31:11 (permalink)
    Oh, the Control Panel's no problem if I just want to add a printer or something. But say you want to disable power-saving on USB ports. It's 7 or 8 clicks deep, as if they wanted all but the most determined users to stay out of there.

Still, it's an improvement over Windows 8, which apparently hid that functionality so well nobody ever found it.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/03/17 15:12:57 (permalink)
    I was liking W10 until it did a big ol' update 2 days ago. Now I have Cortana when I didn't want it (unchecked that on the original install), Edge has become unstable; if I open a new tab it will flash on and off until I shut it down and do it again, and I can't stay logged in to Soundcloud. Minor things, but irritating. Waiting for more...

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    ston
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/03/23 10:17:44 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    Oh, the Control Panel's no problem if I just want to add a printer or something. But say you want to disable power-saving on USB ports. It's 7 or 8 clicks deep, as if they wanted all but the most determined users to stay out of there.

I actually tried to look for that and gave up in the end, so kudos! :-)

Not much more to report...thinking about it I'm not sure if my W10 install has updated  vitself or not of late.

*fx: checks*

Huh, 63 completely failed updates.  I think this is because I was previously on my company's domain, which configures an update server which is waaaaay behind where the 'official' M$ update server is at.  So I left the domain but 'doze was still probably configured to grab updates from the company's server which would of course fail due to leaving the domain.

I've tweaked a few settings (i.e. grab from windows update, not the company's WSUS) and I am now downloading the updates.  I must say that I'm not impressed with the update options offered by 'doze 10; either fully-auto or 'ask me to reboot', i.e. for both 'choices' 'doze will download and install the updates.  I thought this was configurable?  I'm on the Enterprise variant too, so in theory should have the most flexibility.  Anyway, suffice to say that Windows 10 in no way whatsoever informed me that it had completely failed to installed a huge raft of updates.  Slow clap!

Oh well, seems like there's going to be no way of preventing the inevitable "Update to Doze 11 omfg it's the Windowiest!" nagware.

10 has fixed the incredibly annoying Win8 issue of not giving important progress and notification dialogs the focus, i.e. sticking them at the top of the Z-order pile, so...is it progress that Windows 10 now does the same, correct thing that Windows 3.1 -> Windows 7 (inclusive) did?  I would say...no.
    ston
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/03/23 10:46:37 (permalink)
    Oh wow, W10 update has just completely broken my machine, as I was writing the previous post.  No start menu, no second monitor, no right-click monitor options, CTRL-ALT-DEL fails to display sign-in or security options, no right-click icon options the list goes on...although apparently I can make forum posts still :-)

ston
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/03/23 11:17:50 (permalink)
    Well, that was a beyond terrifying hour's panic.  I thought a trip to the sandwich shop would give it time to sort itself out, but no.  So I had to yank the power and the battery and then cold booted it.  Somewhat miraculously, 'doze did finish all its update installing on restart, so it seems that everything is now fixed and working.  I get the impression that it borked itself upon finishing the update downloads.

User rating: 1/10, see me after class, must do better.
    jbraner
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/03/23 11:25:05 (permalink)
    I'm glad to hear it got it's act together!!

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    ston
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/04/13 09:00:29 (permalink)
    More fun with Windows 10; same machine, different route...

Happily coding away on Monday, machine locks up big time.  "Hmm, W10 has not crashed before", thinks I.  It wasn't a crash; the hard drive had let go big time!  Using a USB caddy, a BSD machine and some fuse magic, we finally managed to persuade the drive to mount (would not mount under a Windows box).  GPT partitions can be a bit funny...

Anyway, pretty much the entire file system under c:\users was toast.  Boot partition had gone up in smoke too.  Dodged a massive bullet though (more like dodged a howitzer round); the 40GB development VM I was working on, with quite a bit of saved but not committed work, had not been damaged at all!  Phew.  If one block in that had been hit...*ulp*

Ordered a 1TB SDD, did a clean install of Windows 10 Enterprise the next day (10 minutes, wow) but now I cannot turn on wifi :-(  The driver is fine apparently, but every time I turn it on in the Network and Internet settings dialog, it immediately gets flipped to off again.  It's a Lenovo Z380 ideapad; fn-F5 is supposed to bring up the Wireless Settings dialog, but it does nothing.  I wanted to get wifi on so I could contact our company's VPN server (not accessible over wired) so I could install the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client so my machine could then access the server which will activate W10.  Bit of a palaver, what?  In the end, I went the odd route of going through my customer's VPN and so their DNS servers, which could resolve the vpn server's address blah blah and finally activated windows.  After that, the fn-F6 functionality stopped working (why?!) which turns the touchpad off, which is incredibly annoying if your job involves a lot of typing :-/

There's quite a lot of people who have upgraded their 7 or 8 laptop machine to 10 who have also had this can't turn wifi on problem, but that most often has involved a) an upgrade, not a clean install and b) Cisco AnyConnect already being installed prior to the upgrade, being a version which is incompatible with W10.  However, again this can't be the issue affecting my machine as like I said it was a clean install.
    kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: Windows 10...first impressions 2016/04/13 20:04:12 (permalink)
     I still like to use Winamp version 2 before AwHell bloated it and ruined it.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1