Laptop hard drive "disappears"

Author
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
2016/02/21 14:04:51 (permalink)

Laptop hard drive "disappears"

Hi-

I have a Samsung laptop with two internal hard drives. My boot drive has twice now "disappeared," meaning the laptop freezes and then on reboot I get the "operating system not found" message, after which when I run chkdsk it gets to the very end after 4 hours or so and says "an unexpected error has occurred" or the drive doesn't show up in a drive listing at all. I replaced the drive when it happened the first time and the PC ran OK for a couple weeks, but it happened again this weekend with the replacement boot drive.

Does this indicate something wrong with the motherboard? RAM? I checked that the drive connection was tight and I do have backups but I don't want to replace the drive again only to have this happen with a third drive. I have some diagnostic software I can run.

Can whatever's going on actually damage the drives themselves? I've never had anything like this happen in years of using desktops, but I need to resolve it ASAP because I'm not getting any work done :-(!

All info much appreciated. If I don't respond right away it might mean it's happened again!

Thanks-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64

6 Replies Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Laptop hard drive "disappears" 2016/02/21 14:12:51 (permalink)
    The fact that two drives have failed in short order suggests a controller issue in components external to the drive. If writing errors occur then it should not destroy the drive, but it can easily render it unreadable to the system. Chkdsk basically examines the file system for errors. You can use a manufacturer's disk test utility on another computer to test the physical disk. I doubt there is a practical test you can do yourself to see if the motherboard is sending errors to the drive intermittently. The test for that would be if the drives are OK and the problem keeps happening.
    post edited by slartabartfast - 2016/02/21 14:28:56
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Laptop hard drive "disappears" 2016/02/21 21:28:22 (permalink)
    I have gotten that error with my SSD and it fixed itself by either simply shutting down and restarting, or popping in a Windows repair disk and shutting down (not repairing, because it was the wrong version on the disk). This happened maybe 7 times in a 3 year period.

Two things with mine - first, my SSD had a firmware update that was a PITA to install (Patriot Wildfire), so I ran for 3 years without it - however, I do not think this was the issue (and may not be for you either).

Second, the Master Boot Record (MBR) can get hosed and is on a hidden partition. I recall you asking about imaging an old drive and if the MBR was included it may not jive with the new drive. I reloaded this system from scratch last July and specifically formatted both partitions to ensure the MBR was gone, and not seen anything similar since. There are utilities to dig into (and repair) the MBR which gave me a temporary fix, but the issue didn't disappear until a clean installation.

Are your problem drives coming from an image of a previous drive? If so, was the MBR part of the re-imaging?

Not saying this *is* the issue, but if the drive is not seen, the MBR is a possible suspect.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Susan G
    Re: Laptop hard drive "disappears" 2016/02/22 19:39:03 (permalink)
    Hi guys-

I'm back up & running again, but I have to admit I'm on tenterhooks waiting to see if things stay stable.
    The fact that two drives have failed in short order suggests a controller issue in components external to the drive.

Steve, that's what I'm worried about. I can't run any tests on a different computer right now; the best I could do was run them with the disk in an external USB enclosure and so far, so good, meaning chkdsk did find and fix errors.

Michael, I did get an error re the MBR at one point when I was trying to do a Macrium Reflect backup, so you might be onto something there, although I'm surprised this didn't show up right away after I replaced the drive since I use my PC heavily all day. I believe it was part of the re-imaging, but that's only because I was able to boot from the drive...clearly, I know not whereof I speak...

I reloaded this system from scratch last July and specifically formatted both partitions to ensure the MBR was gone, and not seen anything similar since.

All I did was a Quick Format on the replacement drive and then I restored the images I had to it. Maybe that wasn't enough? 

Thanks, guys!

-Susan

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Laptop hard drive "disappears" 2016/02/22 19:59:49 (permalink)
    I played with Macrium Reflect to test it on restoring an image (and posted that somewhere here). Macrium had a utility to repair the MBR, but it didn't work, so I resorted to using my O/S DVD to begin the installation cycle only to do the formats. The O/S installation exposed both partitions so I was sure to wipe the MBR (also quick format). After that format I shut down and booted from the Macrium Reflect Recovery DVD, restored the image, and all was fine.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Laptop hard drive "disappears" 2016/02/23 09:06:09 (permalink)
    FWIW, My step-daughter had a similar issue with her MacBook Pro.
    Apple Store thought it was a defective HD.  We replaced the HD (same issue).
    The problem ended up being a defective SATA (small ribbon) connector.  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Susan G
    Re: Laptop hard drive "disappears" 2016/02/25 22:25:33 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry
    FWIW, My step-daughter had a similar issue with her MacBook Pro.
    Apple Store thought it was a defective HD.  We replaced the HD (same issue).
    The problem ended up being a defective SATA (small ribbon) connector.  

Hi Jim-

That sounds maybe right to me, so I guess I'll go hunting for a replacement. I inherited this laptop from my Dad: Samsung Series 7 Gamer NP700G7C-S01US 17.3-Inch Laptop.

It's working again, but the boot drive is literally hanging out of the laptop chassis and resting on my desktop since it's such a PITN to put it all back together in case I run into the same problem again. Is that a bad thing? I honestly don't know how people with larger fingers than I have work with these things. It's like doing microsurgery.

Thanks-

-Susan

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1