Helpful ReplyHow to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format

Author
natanzel4
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2016/03/30 20:20:45 (permalink)

How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format

Hi all.

I need to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a format that may be edited using SONAR software (I have Sonar X1). Any ideas? 

thanks 

natanzel4
bluzdog
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1928
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2016/03/30 20:31:41 (permalink)
I assume you have tried opening it with X1. I haven't opened .wrk files in X1 but I have had success with .bun files. Is there any chance you can open it in your older version of Sonar and do a 'save as' .bun. The .bun files I opened were created with the first version of Sonar, my plug-ins came up missing but I had what I needed to get up and running. Here's a previous thread on the topic: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Will-Sonar-X2-read-ancient-Cakewalk-WRK-files-m2782190.a Good luck.

Rocky
brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2016/03/30 20:32:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2016/03/31 03:02:14
SONAR can open .WRK files directly. I have tons of them dating back to Cakewalk 2.0 for DOS.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
gustabo
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2591
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2016/03/30 20:39:40 (permalink)
brundlefly
.... I have tons of them dating back to Cakewalk 2.0 for DOS.

I wish I could find mine. I put those floppies away for safe keeping but I forgot where I put them...
(doh!)

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2016/03/30 21:10:09 (permalink)
gustabo
brundlefly

I wish I could find mine. I put those floppies away for safe keeping but I forgot where I put them...
(doh!)

Check the hard drive on the old 286 out in the garage; that's where mine were. 

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
gustabo
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2591
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2016/03/30 21:21:40 (permalink)
brundlefly
gustabo
brundlefly

(doh!)

I always pull the hard drives out, now, where did I put that 40mb hdd?
(yes mb, not gb!)

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2016/03/30 22:56:49 (permalink)
brundlefly
gustabo
brundlefly

(doh!)

What's my 286 doing in your garage?

;-)

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
BrownEE
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2017/04/10 17:38:54 (permalink)
brundlefly
SONAR can open .WRK files directly. I have tons of them dating back to Cakewalk 2.0 for DOS.

Hi Bundlefly,
I too have lots of .WRK files on an IBM Thinkpad T40, which I would like to open in Sonar.  Which of the Sonars are you using...X1..X2..?   The IBM Thinkpad has Win 98 SE installed running Cakewalk Professional 5.0, using Cakewalk Live (for DOS) for live performances.  Would appreciate any help and instructions you can give.  Thanks in advance.

Best regards 
Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2017/04/10 20:42:10 (permalink)
BrownEE
brundlefly

Hi Bundlefly,
I too have lots of .WRK files on an IBM Thinkpad T40, which I would like to open in Sonar.  Which of the Sonars are you using...X1..X2..?   The IBM Thinkpad has Win 98 SE installed running Cakewalk Professional 5.0, using Cakewalk Live (for DOS) for live performances.  Would appreciate any help and instructions you can give.  Thanks in advance.

Best regards 

Hi, and welcome to this forum. You should  be able to open wrk files in any newer version of SONAR.
Which version of SONAR do you have?
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

promidi
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1220
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2017/04/10 22:30:52 (permalink)
I have Cakewalk Pro Audio WRK files dating back to 1998 to the present and they all open fine in Platinum.

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
CPU: i5 4670. 
Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
: Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
BrownEE
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2017/04/10 22:31:14 (permalink)
Thanks for the quick reply and welcome.  I am using Sonar Home Studio 6.0 but so far it is not opening .wrk files.
I would like to use Win 7 instead of  the present Windows 98 SE system, and General Midi Modules instead of E-mu Proteous 1 Module.  Would appreciate your help, thanks.

Regards
Steve_Karl
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2017/04/11 10:36:03 (permalink)
Same for me.
Any and all .wrk files open in any version provided the version isn't older than the one they were created in.

Steve Karl
https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
SPLAT 2017.01
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2017/04/11 13:20:32 (permalink)
BrownEE
Thanks for the quick reply and welcome.  I am using Sonar Home Studio 6.0 but so far it is not opening .wrk files.
I would like to use Win 7 instead of  the present Windows 98 SE system, and General Midi Modules instead of E-mu Proteous 1 Module.  Would appreciate your help, thanks.

Regards

Just for clarification, the "*.wrk" file itself contains only project and MIDI data in it. If you have any audio (or uninstalled plugins referenced) you will get messages of "this or that not found" when opening the file. Is that what you mean by "not opening?"

To open wrk files, is best to copy the ENTIRE "Cakewalk Projects" folder from the old machine and paste it to the new machine... with the structure in tact. This will allow referenced audio files to be found.

The plugins would require the old versions to be installed, but there are newer versions of most anything available. Is basically a "remix" venture with that, but audio and MIDI portions should both open.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2017/04/11 18:11:27 (permalink)
BrownEE

Regards

I just happen to have Sonar Home Studio and it will open wrk files. I tried it. I was thinking that Home Studio might not open wrk files but it does. 

Best
John
SigiZ58
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 93
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2017/07/11 11:26:15 (permalink)
A bit behind the discussion, but some words.
I too have one file, that could not be opened with Sonar (because of missing audio reference). For my luck I had access to an older Version of Cakewalk (CW9) which at least allowed to open it - only giving an error message. So I opened it here and resaved.

But I have another "issue"
As much as I love Sonar, but I think the handling with older project files could be better. BTW - This was a reason I bought Artis one and a half year ago. It could open my (dozens) wrk files!

To make it clear: The time when we had wrk files was the time of WaveBlaster, Sound Canvas and General Midi / GS Standard. So pretty most (if not all of them) wrk files followed that standard. If I remember right, the first cakewalk I got was bundled with my WaveBlaster.

So, after the first enthusiasm, I found following limits when opening a wrk file in Sonar:
- At first I worked with the Windows GM Synthesizer. Not very nice but at least it works. I loaded the wrk and could play the file, the voices were correct. But I found two issues: The Microsoft GM Module uses Windows Sound, Sonar normally ASIO. Ok, I changed Sonar also to Windows Sound, but when I loaded additional VSTs, for instance a DrumModul, I got remarkable latency differences between the VST and the Microsoft GM. Finally I could not route back the Audio Output to the DAW for final processing. At first I needed a while until I understand why I had these issues.
- Second shot was to work with coolSofts Virtual Midi Synth. Here I had the same problems. 1) No Audio route back, 2) latency differences between VSTI and CoolSoft Engine . Another Problem was: When I changed projects, then the Cakewalk Engine very often gave no more audio, so I had to restart Cakewalk, sometimes even th PC to get Audio working again.
These solutions have in common: I had to manually reroute the Midi channels after loading, as there is no default GM Template here. And after manually adjusting I either had to save as cwp or dismiss my changes as Sonar does not support to save as wrk again. For different reasons I did not want to convert all my wrk files, but "keep" them adjusted only.
- Now I found another solution. I bought a used Sound Canvas. So I had no latency issues any more, but had an external device and to route the audio back - but not in the DAW. This is only a solution to listen to the files, but also to much work :-)
- I found the article relating the TTS-1. So I tested this. At least the first shot was nice: Use no Midi Device and load the wrk file - voila it plays (almost) out of the box. But it is not the best solution. I prefer to set a Midi device, so I have to toggle these settings often. I would prefer a tick box, that you can use the tts1-1 as your Standard General Midi Device that is used when you open Midi/WRK Files. In this case the Midi Channels could be set when loading/importing the project without making you to fiddle around with port settings. Workflow:
GM-Setting On -> loading wrk/midi -> Play the song. 
Another addition would be, if the Bakers could update the TTS-1 to a valid VSTi.  In this case The project can be loaded and we have a nice real GM Compliant Multitimbral VSTI. SO I could load my old project with one click, play around with it, load additional VSTIs and render all in common to audio. In the Bakery I asked this as idea, maybe some of you older wrk users like the idea of tts-1 as VSTI and GM-Template also ? Then vote here in the Bakery please :-)

http://bakery.cakewalk.com/Idea/15903/VST-Version-of-TTS-1-please-configurable-gm-gs-compatible-standard-midi-vsti

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2017/07/11 12:30:35 (permalink)
SigiZ58
A bit behind the discussion, but some words.
I too have one file, that could not be opened with Sonar (because of missing audio reference). For my luck I had access to an older Version of Cakewalk (CW9) which at least allowed to open it - only giving an error message. So I opened it here and resaved.

But I have another "issue"
As much as I love Sonar, but I think the handling with older project files could be better. BTW - This was a reason I bought Artis one and a half year ago. It could open my (dozens) wrk files!

To make it clear: The time when we had wrk files was the time of WaveBlaster, Sound Canvas and General Midi / GS Standard. So pretty most (if not all of them) wrk files followed that standard. If I remember right, the first cakewalk I got was bundled with my WaveBlaster.

So, after the first enthusiasm, I found following limits when opening a wrk file in Sonar:
- At first I worked with the Windows GM Synthesizer. Not very nice but at least it works. I loaded the wrk and could play the file, the voices were correct. But I found two issues: The Microsoft GM Module uses Windows Sound, Sonar normally ASIO. Ok, I changed Sonar also to Windows Sound, but when I loaded additional VSTs, for instance a DrumModul, I got remarkable latency differences between the VST and the Microsoft GM. Finally I could not route back the Audio Output to the DAW for final processing. At first I needed a while until I understand why I had these issues.
- Second shot was to work with coolSofts Virtual Midi Synth. Here I had the same problems. 1) No Audio route back, 2) latency differences between VSTI and CoolSoft Engine . Another Problem was: When I changed projects, then the Cakewalk Engine very often gave no more audio, so I had to restart Cakewalk, sometimes even th PC to get Audio working again.
These solutions have in common: I had to manually reroute the Midi channels after loading, as there is no default GM Template here. And after manually adjusting I either had to save as cwp or dismiss my changes as Sonar does not support to save as wrk again. For different reasons I did not want to convert all my wrk files, but "keep" them adjusted only.
- Now I found another solution. I bought a used Sound Canvas. So I had no latency issues any more, but had an external device and to route the audio back - but not in the DAW. This is only a solution to listen to the files, but also to much work :-)
- I found the article relating the TTS-1. So I tested this. At least the first shot was nice: Use no Midi Device and load the wrk file - voila it plays (almost) out of the box. But it is not the best solution. I prefer to set a Midi device, so I have to toggle these settings often. I would prefer a tick box, that you can use the tts1-1 as your Standard General Midi Device that is used when you open Midi/WRK Files. In this case the Midi Channels could be set when loading/importing the project without making you to fiddle around with port settings. Workflow:
GM-Setting On -> loading wrk/midi -> Play the song. 
Another addition would be, if the Bakers could update the TTS-1 to a valid VSTi.  In this case The project can be loaded and we have a nice real GM Compliant Multitimbral VSTI. SO I could load my old project with one click, play around with it, load additional VSTIs and render all in common to audio. In the Bakery I asked this as idea, maybe some of you older wrk users like the idea of tts-1 as VSTI and GM-Template also ? Then vote here in the Bakery please :-)

http://bakery.cakewalk.com/Idea/15903/VST-Version-of-TTS-1-please-configurable-gm-gs-compatible-standard-midi-vsti

Your idea is not only doable its the way I do many projects myself. A Standard MIDI File is just data that is easily edited. It will work with Sonar and any DXIs or VSTis you have. Depending on what is in your wrk files you should have no trouble using up to date Soft Synths to play them with far greater sound quality. Most soft synths are not SMF aware but that is not a problem. For example drums from a SMF (standard MIDI file) are based on a drum map that maps to GM (general MIDI drums). Those can remapped to any drum player. Often there is a map just for that with your drum synth of choice. Sonar Platinum has a number of drum synths that will work fine as long as there is a converting drum map that comes with it. 

You have the right idea. It only needs execution on your part. No need to ask for any added features they are all there already.  

Best
John
SigiZ58
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2017/07/11 12:55:21 (permalink)
Thanks for your answer John.
I asked this because I like it comfortable :-)
In the moment I have to
1) Change my Midi Settings each time or
2) Load the tts manually every time I open the file

I would prefer (much less clicks) a way to open a wrk/midi file without having to change my midi settings each time I open a wrk/midi file. The more as I have in different configurations several midi devices. It should be much easier to open a wrk file and play without configuring each time 5 minutes :-)
So I want to have a TTS-1 based GM Template, which in the initial phase of loading the file only uses 1 (configured GM) Midi device, so that the channels are set correctly and not by accident, what happens when more then one Midi device is configured in the system. So a setting that allows to set a fixed GM Midi Synth (Like TTS-1) is the only comfortable solution in this scenario, as it allows you to keep your standard midi settings untouched in case you load a midi/wrk file.

This setting could be named like: Set TTS-1 as Standard GM-Synth for MID/WRK Files
It should work as if this setting ignore all other midi devices when loading a mid/wrk file. And if you dont want this, you can simply uncheck this option.

Or different approach:
In the moment the program works (simplified) so:
If no midi device selected
  choose tts-1
else
  use midi device config
end if

My wish would be:
if no midi-device selected
   - choose tts-1
else
    - if GM-Flag Setting is True
       -- choose tts-1
    - else
       -- use midi device config
    - end if
end if 

Did I miss anything here ?
Zargg
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2017/07/11 13:25:39 (permalink)
SigiZ58

This setting could be named like: Set TTS-1 as Standard GM-Synth for MID/WRK Files
It should work as if this setting ignore all other midi devices when loading a mid/wrk file. 

Hi. IIRC, if you select "None" as MIDI output in Preferences, it will do that.
TTS-1 will be used for play back, until another is chosen.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

SigiZ58
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2017/07/11 13:30:14 (permalink)
Zargg
SigiZ58

It should work as if this setting ignore all other midi devices when loading a mid/wrk file. 

All the best.

Hi Zargg,

thank you, this I know and wrote also,  why I prefer another solution.

Kind regards
Zargg
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2017/07/11 13:52:16 (permalink)
SigiZ58
Zargg
SigiZ58

All the best.

Hi Zargg,

thank you, this I know and wrote also,  why I prefer another solution.

Kind regards

Sorry. Must have slipped by me.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ

SigiZ58
Re: How to convert cakewalk .wrk files into a usable format 2017/07/11 20:29:18 (permalink)
BTW
Wrk files cannot be handled that way... only mid
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1