Helpful ReplyRapture vs. Rapture Sessions

Author
BbAltered
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 137
2016/01/31 16:15:33 (permalink)

Rapture vs. Rapture Sessions

Hello.  I have an earlier version of Rapture (ver. 1.22).  I also have recently downloaded Rapture Sessions, but it is only running in demo mode on my computer.  Most likely, I will need to delete and then re-install Rapture Sessions to activate it.

But do I need to?  What does Rapture Sessions give me above and beyond what I can do with Rapture ver. 1.22?

Thanks.

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Rapture vs. Rapture Sessions 2016/01/31 16:24:55 (permalink)
Did you install using the Command Center?
BbAltered
Re: Rapture vs. Rapture Sessions 2016/01/31 19:20:10 (permalink)
Hello.  Thanks for your reply.  No, I believe I downloaded the Rapture Sessions package individually and installed it manually myself. 

Can you tell me: Is Rapture Sessions a significantly different-sounding synth than Rapture 1.22?  I understand Rapture Sessions has few sound-editing facilities, and if the patches in Rapture Sessions are largely similar to what is in Rapture, I can probably get by without the Sessions synth.

scook
Forum Host
Re: Rapture vs. Rapture Sessions 2016/01/31 19:28:54 (permalink)
I have no idea exactly what content is included with Rapture Session. I have Rapture Pro installed. The content shipped with Rapture Session is part of Rapture Pro. Rapture Session also plays DPro, Rapture and Cakewalk Sound Center content. Prior to the latest version, the Command Center was needed to activate the synth. The most recent version,  v2.0.4 can be activated without Command Center, see http://www.cakewalk.com/S...ine-Activation#rapture
BbAltered
Re: Rapture vs. Rapture Sessions 2016/02/01 09:53:43 (permalink)
Very helpful!  Yes, I believe CW has posted a newer update to Rapture Sessions.  So I will download that newer update and see if I can make it work.

Thank you.
ricoskyl
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 327
Re: Rapture vs. Rapture Sessions 2016/04/12 20:38:00 (permalink)
Along these lines, I have Rapture (1.22), Rapture Session, Rapture Pro (2.04), and Dimension Pro installed using CCC.  I'm doing some disk maintenance and would like to clear out the redundant apps.  

I know that Rapture Pro includes DP and all of the Session sounds, but I'm wondering if I can use CCC to uninstall DP, Rapture, and Rapture Session without losing any of the patches.  Whenever I start, I get nervous when it asks if I want to delete all files associated with these programs....no, I just want to delete the unneeded applications!

Anyone have any experience with this?

If you want to make enemies, try to change something. -Woodrow T. Wilson
Turbulence is a life force. It is opportunity. Let’s love turbulence and use it for change. -Ramsay Clark
----------------------
Sonar Platinum Win 10 x64 on HP Pavilion i7 5500 12Gb RAM, Tascam US-16x08, NVidia 840 8Gb vram, Multi-Screen, Multi-Touch
scook
Forum Host
Re: Rapture vs. Rapture Sessions 2016/04/12 21:41:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ricoskyl 2016/04/12 22:54:59
While RPro contains all the DPro programs, is not a drop-in replacement for DPro. IOW, any project already referencing DPro will not automaticallly switch to RPro. A better solution is manually remove the multisamples folder and either create a directory junction to the RPro multisample directory or edit the DPro Multisamples Folder registry entry. For example, based on a default installation the directory junction creation process is:
1) Rename "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Multisamples"
2) Run cmd.exe as administrator
3) At the command line type
mklink /j "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Multisamples" "C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Sample Data\Rapture Pro\Multisamples"
4) Test DPro
5) If DPro loads programs, it is safe to delete the renamed folder in step 1

Rapture has the same legacy project replacement problem and an added issue of being incompatible with the RPro content. This prevents repointing the legacy Rapture multisample folder.

Rapture Session shares content with RPro. There is no great benefit to removing Rapture Session if it has already been installed with RPro.
ricoskyl
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 327
Re: Rapture vs. Rapture Sessions 2016/04/12 22:47:41 (permalink)
Excellent and helpful response, Steve.  I think I can implement your suggestions without difficulty.

If the issue is ONLY legacy projects finding the apps and patches, however, and I've been using the RP shell for access to all the patches, will I lose access to any samples or patches if I uninstall DPro, Rapture (1), and Session.  Compatibility won't go backward to earlier versions (i.e RP to Rapture) but RP seems to handle the older patches and samples without any problems.

Yes, I know that there aren't a lot of benefits in removing apps beyond housekeeping, but on the rare occasion where I actually DO housekeeping, I'd like to know what my limitations are. 

If you want to make enemies, try to change something. -Woodrow T. Wilson
Turbulence is a life force. It is opportunity. Let’s love turbulence and use it for change. -Ramsay Clark
----------------------
Sonar Platinum Win 10 x64 on HP Pavilion i7 5500 12Gb RAM, Tascam US-16x08, NVidia 840 8Gb vram, Multi-Screen, Multi-Touch
scook
Forum Host
Re: Rapture vs. Rapture Sessions 2016/04/12 23:12:02 (permalink)
Assuming you only used Rapture factory programs and expansion packs and can tolerate missing Rapture in old projects, deleting Rapture should be OK. It will not affect RPro. In fact, I believe you will need to manually remove the copy of Rapture programs which get migrated to "C:\Cakewalk Content\Rapture Pro\Programs\Rapture (legacy)."

I did not install Rapture Session content and have not attempted Rapture Session uninstall. I was under the impression Rapture Session shares a multisample folder with RPro. If this is the case, uninstalling Rapture Session content will likely remove it from RPro too. Removing the main Rapture Session installer may be safe. Worst case, rerun the main RPro installer.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1