Transfer MIDI data from cassette into SONAR?

Author
David W. Ganem
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2016/04/16 05:29:57 (permalink)

Transfer MIDI data from cassette into SONAR?

My production partner passed away couple years ago leaving behind his legacy and a home based project recording studio. In the late 1980's I wrote, arranged, and recorded in four track demo format a pop-dance tune. I was fortunate to recover from his archive all of the music I worked on except the master of the pop-dance tune. What I did get pertaining to that arrangement is a cassette containing all of the MIDI Data Files. These files were uploaded to cassette from a MIDI sequencer. I think what I was using back then was a Roland MC-300. I have spent well over a year assembling, configuring, updating, and upgrading a home MIDI production/recording setup. I am still learning how to use it.

Core 2 Quad 2.5 GHz 8 GB RAM
Windows 10 PRO 64 bit w/ SONAR Platinum
M-Audio Keystation 61es and Trigger Finger Pro
Roland D-5, and Fatar SL-990
Monitoring via HDMI with Denon 7.1 AVR
Speakers and Sub: JBL

I don't know what format the MIDI files are, but so far as I understand it, the MIDI data is pretty universal. Also, I can't list them here without looking them up, but I seem to recall reading that SONAR can understand a number of MIDI formats. So my question is this: Can I get that data from the cassette loaded into SONAR, and how do I best accomplish the task. I do own a Denon precision stereo cassette deck.

4 Replies Related Threads

vdd
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 92
    Re: Transfer MIDI data from cassette into SONAR? 2016/04/16 07:44:36 (permalink)
    Hi,
    The Denon tape deck alone won't help a lot, because the Roland sequenzer stored the information like you would transfer data via an acoustic coupler the old days. You need a device to translate the acoustic signals stored on the tape back to MIDI data.

The best chance you will have is: Try to borrow or buy a MC 300 and use your tape to transfer the data back to it. Probably another old Roland sequencer can do the job, too. But it is easier,if you use the same hw.

Than you connect the old sequenzer MIDI out to the MIDI in of your DAW. Be sure to enable MIDI sync and record the MIDI signals of the Roland into your DAW.

The MIDI data is compatible, which means you won't have a problem to work with them afterwards.

These explanation is just the big picture of what to do: Feel free to ask for more detailed information, if needed...
    post edited by vdd - 2016/04/16 08:08:45

S-Plat x64 / i7-4790-3.60GHZ, 32GB RAM, Win 7 x64, Akai MPC Studio, Arturia Microbrute, Doepfer A-100, VTB-1, RME HDSPe
    David W. Ganem
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: Transfer MIDI data from cassette into SONAR? 2016/04/16 08:25:44 (permalink)
    After digging through notebooks and papers, I believe the sequencer I used was an Alesis MMT-8. Would your reply be the same except I'll be looking for an MMT-8 instead of the MC-300? Oh, and thank you for taking the time to answer.
    vdd
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 92
    Re: Transfer MIDI data from cassette into SONAR? 2016/04/16 08:33:24 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Yes! You have to do the same steps, but you need an Alesis sequencer. You can find them sometimes at eBay.

S-Plat x64 / i7-4790-3.60GHZ, 32GB RAM, Win 7 x64, Akai MPC Studio, Arturia Microbrute, Doepfer A-100, VTB-1, RME HDSPe
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Transfer MIDI data from cassette into SONAR? 2016/04/16 17:43:52 (permalink)
    https://archive.org/stream/MMT-8_owners_manual/MMT-8_owners_manual_djvu.txt

It looks like the data is probably not MIDI, but a proprietary save format unique to the sequencer. So vdd is probably correct, you are going to need to get the original device or a close cousin to recover the data, then you could use the freestanding sequencer output to capture the MIDI data into a modern DAW.

Or you could pay these guys to get it for you:
    https://www.deepsignalstudios.com/alesis-mmt8-tape-or-sysex-midi-conversion-service

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1