Pre - record function

Author
trtzbass
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 150
2016/04/20 07:49:30 (permalink)
3.5 (2)

Pre - record function

Hi all. I know I asked about this a few months ago but I truly believe this is a very useful function and we all could benefit from it.
Some DAWs (off the top of my head Cubendo, Logic, DP, S1) have the ability to have a record buffer running all the time for rec armed tracks, meaning that when you hit record, the software has already pre recorded, let's say five seconds of audio that are available if one pulls the left boundary of the audio clip.
Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_WocJDHtsI

Here is a circumstance in which that very option has been very useful to me.
Part of my job is to record demo performances for musical theatre shows. Meaning I have 5 - 10 singers coming in and taking turns in front of the microphone and record a whole show in as little time as possible.
Many a time, during the operations someone says "I'm just going to try something" and then give the performance of their life. 8 out of 10 I'm always recording, but getting into the 8th hour of the session, one can be distracted by, let's say picking up a cup of tea or by the MD who's telling you something. The singers take turns so THEY are always super fresh. That's the problem, you see? :)
So, anyway. I was working in another DAW and that very function saved my skin more than once. It would be great if it was implemented in Sonar too. I have learned it's too much of a life saver to go without it.
Anyone else cares for it?

Jordan Brown

- he tried to play bass

www.jordanbrown.co.uk
twitter.com/trtzbass
trgmachine.bandcamp.com

1 Reply Related Threads

Leadfoot
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2817
    Re: Pre - record function 2016/04/20 08:42:21 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I never had a need for it, but I can see how it would be useful in the examples you stated. I'm sure if I was recording other people, I would like to have it.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1