Helpful ReplyStrategies for using reverb

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
2016/04/28 14:31:05 (permalink)

Strategies for using reverb

Reverb is probably the most used effect of them all.  I just wonder if there is any consensus of best practices.  I realize there are always artistic choices, but I am just looking for ideas.

The material I am working on at present is a set of accompaniments for a jazz combo.  The source is all MIDI, and most of the MIDI instruments are inherently dry.  It isn't a large number of tracks -- usually piano, bass, drums, guitar, and maybe an extra lead guitar, organ or string track.  I do try to place these instruments in the stereo field where they would logically be on stage.

In the past, I have dropped Breverb on each of the tracks that I thought needed reverb, and then I'd try to find a Breverb preset that sounded best while soloing that instrument.  Recently I have been going the route of sending each of the tracks to a single stereo reverb bus.  I use a single instance of Rematrix Solo.  And I pan each channel's verb send to the opposite side of the stage.  I usually kick up the delay setting just a little bit.

That single verb setup seems simpler.  I'm not sure it is giving me better results though.  Some of these accompaniments seem to lose punch if I go too far with that.  They seem to sound better with less reverb.

I guess the reason I ask is because when I listen to professional recordings, many of them use much more reverb than I do, yet maintain a punch.  That suggests to me that the engineers are being more selective about what instruments and frequencies are getting reverb.

Another question relates to the fact that many of the synths (strings, electric pianos, Addictive Drums, etc) have their own reverb.  Is it best to use one or the other -- and not double reverb, so to speak?  I definitely do that with Addictive Drums because I prefer some reverb on the snare, but try to keep the kicks clean.

Anybody have any ideas about this?  I could post some MP3s if that would make it easier to comment.  These aren't intended to be commercial level products.  They are just backing tracks for a little combo, but I'd like them to sound good.

Here is a link to "Heard it Through the Grapevine"
https://app.box.com/s/h30...16wibebln9mb2jbk2j100u

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
MakerDP
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 117
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/04/28 16:16:53 (permalink)
If you are panning each instrument on a virtual stage, it sounds like you want this to resemble a live recording. I would just find a nice ambient or small to medium hall reverb, like maybe an ambient room convolution reverb from ReMatrix, and put it on the main mix bus and season for a "natural" sound.

I am a huge fan of "less is more" when it comes to reverb. I want my mixes to sound like all the instruments were recorded live, playing together in the same room and so, at least in my mind, that means mostly my reverb is pretty subtle and on the whole mix and individual tracks have none on them at all.

bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/04/28 16:22:17 (permalink)
Join puremix.net for free (no, I have no affiliation) and purchase the Creating Spaces With Reverbs video. I predict it will be the best $20 you'll eve spend on an educational video.
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/04/28 16:45:04 (permalink)
bapu
Join puremix.net for free (no, I have no affiliation) and purchase the Creating Spaces With Reverbs video. I predict it will be the best $20 you'll eve spend on an educational video.

Totally echo what Bapu said. No other video or explanation has ever come close - that video was a giant "aha!" moment for me...
bapu
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/04/28 16:47:33 (permalink)
smallstonefan
bapu

Totally echo what Bapu said. No other video or explanation has ever come close - that video was a giant "aha!" moment for me...

And I got the tip from James on this vid, so it's a self referencing system.
smallstonefan
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/04/28 16:53:58 (permalink)
I validate Bapu's validation of my validation.
smallstonefan
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/04/28 16:54:55 (permalink)
...of his original validation.

I think I'm caught up.
bapu
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/04/29 13:00:44 (permalink)
smallstonefan

I think I'm caught up.

We're even steven.

We're the same James.
cparmerlee
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/04/29 13:34:23 (permalink)
bapu
smallstonefan

I think I'm caught up.

We're even steven.

We're the same James.

Ahhh I get it.  You guys are demonstrating how reverb works.  :)

OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
jeteague
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/04/29 14:51:27 (permalink)
    A good reference for understanding reverb in mixing is Mike Senior's  book "Mixing Secrets".  There is a chapter dedicated to reverb.  He breaks the use of reverb into five different functions: blend, size, tone, sustain, and spread.  I think he offers a good approach to the subject as in "what are you putting that reverb in for anyway?".  The book, in general, is a reality check for me.
cparmerlee
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/04/29 16:32:51 (permalink)
jeteague
    A good reference for understanding reverb in mixing is Mike Senior's  book "Mixing Secrets".

Thanks.  I have the book, but I had concentrated on other chapters when I got it.  I forgot there was specific coverage on reverb.

sonocrafters.com
cparmerlee
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/04/29 22:00:22 (permalink)
jeteague
    A good reference for understanding reverb in mixing is Mike Senior's  book "Mixing Secrets".  There is a chapter dedicated to reverb.  He breaks the use of reverb into five different functions: blend, size, tone, sustain, and spread. 

Senior says that reverbs should always be done on separate buses.  I'm OK with that, as it is easy to do in Sonar.  I have not done this in the past, but will probably make that SOP going forward.

I am studying what Senior has to say about each of those 5 uses for reverb.  For now, I will probably concentrate on blend and size as these seem to be the first order uses -- the other 3 being more advanced and subtle. 

His approach seems to imply (but he doesn't exactly state) that he would use 5 separate reverb buses, because the shape of the reverb could be different for each of those 5 uses.  Is this a correct reading of his advice?  Do any of you normally set up multiple reverb buses along the lines Senior suggests?

sonocrafters.com
jeteague
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/04/30 14:03:54 (permalink)
   I am still finding my way through this myself, so apply salt as needed.   I think that Mr. Senior means that we should consider what each track needs and if it requires processing to sit well in the mix, and we figure that reverb may help, we need to think about HOW it might help.  Does the track need blending, sustain, etc.?  I believe the idea is to use the reverb as a specific functional tool rather than a sort of sandwich condiment that is simply slathered on to the bread (that is, the track). 
  So, you might need to apply five differing reverbs to the track but that is unlikely.  I got the impression that it was just fine to apply a reverb at the track level when it was just a single track that required a bit of help.
   Finally, multiple tracks, may need some help and then, reverb buses make more sense.
   I took all this to heart because I was applying reverb to the whole sandwich (mix) by rote and my sandwiches were less delicious due to that.
cparmerlee
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/04/30 16:29:40 (permalink)
I tried to apply some of Senior's suggestions to the  material shown above.  It ended up coming out about the same.  I am coming to several conclusions:

1) My monitors may not be good enough to help judge these subtleties.  I have a pair of Yamaha MSP5s.  They have a good sound, but they aren't going to give the full low end.  And I have them mounted about 10 feet from my workstation.  That's probably farther away than most people would use these monitors.

2) The program material is probably too dense to use reverb very aggressively.  Most of that originated in Band-in-a-box, and then I modified the MIDI from there.  There isn't a lot of space for reverb to do the job of blending.  It gets muddy really quickly, even if I put a high pass filter on the verb to keep the LF dry.  I think I should practice Senior's suggestions on more open material first.

This is the file after breaking the reverb into separate buses for blend and size:
https://app.box.com/s/vqzdn6ob920puv6kjcvlvnvxv1fje3mp

I also tweaked the instruments to make them a little less muddy pre-reverb.  I tightened up the timing of the bass, which helped the overall groove a lot I think.

sonocrafters.com
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/04/30 19:13:46 (permalink)
Mike Senior's book is excellent.  An even more comprehensive one is Izhaki's Mixing Audio, in which he has a very in depth entire chapter devoted to reverb.  Most highly recommended for this mixing topic and many others as well.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/05/01 00:06:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby arlen2133 2016/05/03 18:03:11
Sometimes I find that I can dispense with reverbs entirely and use delays to create space instead. It creates a nice sense of space and depth without adding mud or losing punch. Mind you, working mainly with electronica styles I'm not always looking for a "realistic" sense of space. 

One thing to consider is that you don't always want your reverbs at 100% width. Experiment with Channel Tools or similar to narrow the width of a reverb to 75%, 50%, even lower. I'm not a fan of mono reverbs unless it's for a specific tone shaping/sustain role on a single instrument, but I will sometimes go as low as 30-40% width (easy to do with ValhallaPlate which has a width control). If you're using multiple reverbs, experiment with having different widths for all of them. For example, sometimes I'll have a short ambient/room reverb, a mid sized plate reverb and a hall reverb. I'll set the short reverb to 100% width, on the basis that it's the closest to the listener, then the plate to 65-70% and the hall to 40-50%. The idea is that if you're going for a front to back depth with your reverbs, they're going to sound narrower the further they are away. And the added bonus is that they're not stepping on each other at the sides so much. 

Also remember to experiment with pre-delay times if you're worried about losing punch. And don't be afraid to stick EQ's both before and after the reverb. I high pass around 400-500Hz and low pass around 10kHz before the reverb, to control the frequencies going in, and then I will make a cut or two after the reverb to stop it stepping on the other instruments. To this end, Melda's MAutoAnalyzer is an absolute boon. I LOVE this plugin for EQ'ing because it shows where your frequency collisions are very quickly, and it works just as well on reverbs as any other tracks. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
mesayre
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 195
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/05/01 00:25:52 (permalink)
I usually put a verb a single bus, but if I'm going for a more natural sound from sampled instruments (especially strings or brass) I find I really need to treat the whole signal. If your samples are very dry, you might benefit from some subtle ambience added directly as an insert effect, in addition to your overall verb. I think Valhalla room is excellent for this purpose. Any verb with early reflection controls will probably work.

Mike Sayre
Composer, Horn Player

Sonar Platinum, Win10x64

My new album, Music for Icebergs, is now on iTunes
cparmerlee
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/05/01 01:26:11 (permalink)
sharke
Melda's MAutoAnalyzer is an absolute boon.

Just to make sure I am on the right track, is this the product you are talking about?
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MMultiAnalyzer

I can see where that would be very helpful.  I think many of my "reverb issues" are really clutter issues that should be handled upstream of any reverb decisions.

At some point, I came across an equalizer that allowed size-chaining such that peaks at a certain frequency on one track could automatically duck the same frequencies in another track.  And that was in real time so that the ducking only happened when there were frequency conflicts.  I can't seem to find my notes on that product.

sonocrafters.com
sharke
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/05/01 09:39:44 (permalink)
cparmerlee
sharke
Melda's MAutoAnalyzer is an absolute boon.

Just to make sure I am on the right track, is this the product you are talking about?
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MMultiAnalyzer

I can see where that would be very helpful.  I think many of my "reverb issues" are really clutter issues that should be handled upstream of any reverb decisions.

At some point, I came across an equalizer that allowed size-chaining such that peaks at a certain frequency on one track could automatically duck the same frequencies in another track.  And that was in real time so that the ducking only happened when there were frequency conflicts.  I can't seem to find my notes on that product.

Yes that's what I'm talking about. You insert an instance on every track that you want to analyze and all tracks that have it inserted will appear in every instance of the plugin. You can then select which tracks you want to compare, and as the music is playing these black "hotspot" blobs will appear on the graph in the frequency ranges in which the compared instruments are colliding the most. I mainly use it to EQ two instruments which I feel are crowding each other. An example scenario when comparing two instruments is that you'll see collisions at, say, 500Hz and 1200Hz. So I will cut one instrument at 500Hz and the other at 1200Hz. Which instrument gets which cut depends on which instruments I decide "need" those frequencies the most. It's amazing how well it works - instant boost in clarity and separation. 

There are lots of ways you could use it. You could put it on an instrument bus and on a vocal track, and find out where the instruments in general are fighting with the vocal, and make a modest cut on the instrument bus. 

Of course you're still using your ears as the final judgment. MMultiAnazlyer just helps you get into the ballpark much quicker. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
cparmerlee
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/05/01 10:32:11 (permalink)
sharke
You insert an instance on every track that you want to analyze and all tracks that have it inserted will appear in every instance of the plugin. You can then select which tracks you want to compare, and as the music is playing these black "hotspot" blobs will appear on the graph in the frequency ranges in which the compared instruments are colliding the most.

Cool.  And it is stereo-aware, right?  If piano and organ are colliding, and I move piano to the left and organ to the right, the analyzer will show the collisions reduced?

sonocrafters.com
BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/05/01 20:37:16 (permalink)
For a jazz track one verb on a buss and buss each track to this verb.  Set each send to about -3db, although bass instruments toms, kick and bass -6db and even -9db.  Use a convolution verb too, if you have Perfect Space this is a good choice...probably the blues club.  Get rid of all the dry signal and have the overall wet signal set at -3db.  You see the pattern ;).

Try using Sonars Tape sim if you have a version of Sonar that has the tape sim and level the verb out -18db, and use the console emulator across all the tracks including the master and verb buss to fatten transients...it will take some time to train your ears to hear the console emulator but when you can hear it...you will go ah ha!

Peace Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
cparmerlee
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/05/01 23:13:34 (permalink)
BenMMusTech
it will take some time to train your ears to hear the console emulator but when you can hear it...you will go ah ha!

I have trouble hearing that.  I will try the settings you suggested. 

I installed the trial of the MultiAnalyzer that Sharke suggested.  It took a bit of tinkering to get the hang of that.  I ended up stretching out the sampling average because the conflicts were popping around to fast to internalize anything.  I also dialed back the threshold of the conflict band to the point where the conflicts popped out only occasionally.  That led me to reorganize the stereo placement of several instruments and to notch some of the conflicts.  Even though these were subtle changes I do feel like I can hear the difference in punchlines of the dry material.  That's progress for me.  And that made it easier to hear the verb effects.  I ended up using less reverb than in previous attempts.  I think it definitely sounds better.

Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions.

Now I have a philosophical question.  Compared to 30 years ago, the range of practical effects available to the engineer is vastly increased.  Are the tools expanding faster than our ability to learn?

sonocrafters.com
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/05/02 09:46:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cparmerlee 2016/05/02 11:16:30
Tip: use the Pause function on MMultiAnalyzer to freeze the display for closer examination.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Chregg
Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2382
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/05/02 11:54:03 (permalink)
i think the use of reverbs strongly depend on your "perspective" of the mix. I think in 3D when it comes to mixing and usually have a vision on how I'm gonna apply my reverbs
sharke
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/05/03 17:28:10 (permalink)
cparmerlee
sharke
You insert an instance on every track that you want to analyze and all tracks that have it inserted will appear in every instance of the plugin. You can then select which tracks you want to compare, and as the music is playing these black "hotspot" blobs will appear on the graph in the frequency ranges in which the compared instruments are colliding the most.

Cool.  And it is stereo-aware, right?  If piano and organ are colliding, and I move piano to the left and organ to the right, the analyzer will show the collisions reduced?

I'm not sure about stereo awareness on it. I don't think so. I think it's just working on the overall frequency content of the track, whether that be mono or stereo. Which is a good thing, since it's akin to mixing in mono, i.e. you're not using stereo separation as a crutch.

James
sharke
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/05/03 17:43:01 (permalink)
I just thought of a EQ strategy with MMultiAnalyzer that I might try sometime.

It's based on the principle that you start with the most important track and bring in each element in turn in descending order of importance, with a view to making cuts in each successive track so that they don't step on the more important ones.

What you could do is, after you've EQ'd each track, send it to a temporary bus with a copy of MMultiAnalyzer on it. This bus is thus the summing of all EQ'd tracks so far. Then, as you EQ each new track, insert of copy of MMultiAnalyzer on it and do a collision detection with the summing bus. This should both reveal which areas to cut in the new track to prevent it stepping on anything else in the mix. Obviously as you add more tracks to the bus, the more cuts will be required on the new track.

Another technique would be to forego the temporary bus and just stick a separate instance of MAA on each track after it's EQ'd. When you go to EQ each successive new track, instead of inserting MAA on it, enable all of the previous tracks in MAA and look at the collisions. You should be able to see, from the gaps in the collision bar, where there is "free" space left in the mix. You can then EQ the new track with a view to fitting it into that space. Once you've fitted it into the mix, insert MAA on it and add it to MAA's collision list.

James
cparmerlee
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/05/03 21:58:20 (permalink)
sharke
cparmerlee

I'm not sure about stereo awareness on it. I don't think so. I think it's just working on the overall frequency content of the track, whether that be mono or stereo. Which is a good thing, since it's akin to mixing in mono, i.e. you're not using stereo separation as a crutch.

There are some buttons on the right side of the display that seem to limit the analysis to one side or another.  It didn't seem to have any real effect, but that just might be my unfamiliarity with the tool and the process.

sonocrafters.com
sharke
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/05/03 22:32:52 (permalink)
bitflipper
Tip: use the Pause function on MMultiAnalyzer to freeze the display for closer examination.

Damn I need to take some more advantage of that. Right now I'm just kind of meditating on those blobs and hovering my mouse over where they seem to appear the strongest, in order to get a readout of the frequency value. 

James
cparmerlee
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/05/04 00:32:31 (permalink)
Just an editorial observation ... After the recent discussion about LANDR, I really do think the next frontier for tools is "expert systems".  If the analyzer can detect the conflicts, it ought to be able to automatically duck competing tracks.  Conceptually, this isn't all that complicated.  The real challenge would be to come up with a UI that allows the user to impart his/her sense of priorities/goals.

sonocrafters.com
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Strategies for using reverb 2016/05/04 13:30:33 (permalink)
cparmerlee
If the analyzer can detect the conflicts, it ought to be able to automatically duck competing tracks.  Conceptually, this isn't all that complicated.

This already exists.  It's called MSpectralDynamics from the same folks that brought us MMultiAnalyzer.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1