Some great concerts coming up.

Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
2016/04/28 12:40:26 (permalink)

Some great concerts coming up.

Looks like I am in for a good few months.

First up - Karnataka at Tavistock Wharf tomorrow night, "Secrets of Angels" was one of my favourite albums of last year so I am really looking forward to this one.

I am really hoping to go to the Panic Room Weekend in Bilston, Wolverhampton 21-22 May. "Essence", and Luna Rossa's "Secret and Lies" were also among my favourites from last year. If this falls through I will catch Panic Room in Bristol 23 June.

Then Mostly Autumn at Tavistock Wharf on 22 July.

Any one else likley to be at any of these events?

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud

12 Replies Related Threads

smallstonefan
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2724
    Re: Some great concerts coming up. 2016/04/28 16:44:08 (permalink)
    Sounds like fun!

On July 22nd I will be seeing Kiss with my family in Lincoln Ne. My daughter hasn't seen them, so I'm excited to rectify that. It also happens to be my birthday.

About an hour ago I scored first row tickets (my first!) to see Styx in August. Then it's Def Leppard, REO Speedwagon, and Tesla in ONE SHOW in October.

My 80s hairband geek is showing. :)
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Some great concerts coming up. 2016/04/28 16:49:31 (permalink)
    Get yer freak on James.
    smallstonefan
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2724
    Re: Some great concerts coming up. 2016/04/28 16:53:33 (permalink)
    I'm feeling it! I'm feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeling it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, yesterday was a disappointing day in hairband land. Ratt was announced to play an outside venue 10 minutes from my house. Thing is, I didn't recognize anyone in the picture. Turns out the drummer has assembled an entirely new band and is touring as Ratt. Just the drummer is original. WTF? 
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Some great concerts coming up. 2016/04/30 06:15:23 (permalink)
    Karnataka were loud! When Ian Jones use his Moog bass pedals it was 7.5 on the Richter scale!

Great concert though, Hayley Griffiths has a couple of good voices, a very good rock voice, then she rolls out the operatic soprano.

Nice to see a band that was all younger than me. Never the less when Hayley jokingly introduced Jones has "Her Dad" it seemed credible.

Highlight was the 20 minuit epic "Secrets of Angels". Prog is alive and well and wearing shot skirts.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Moshkito
    Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3765
    Re: Some great concerts coming up. 2016/05/01 11:15:38 (permalink)
    Hi,

Portland has a moratorium on good music ... only crap and low level stuff around here and cheap top ten music!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Some great concerts coming up. 2016/05/09 07:49:28 (permalink)
    I an now booked for the Panic Room Weekend in Bilston, Wolverhampton 21,22 May. I am looking forward to that one! A weekend of contempory Prog!

• Panic Room
    • Luna Rossa
    • Haloblind
    • Kiama
    • Dave Foster Band
    • Morpheus Rising

Also next weekend I will be at the Dart Music Festival  a good eclectic line up a few miles from home.

lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: Some great concerts coming up. 2016/05/09 09:13:40 (permalink)
    smallstonefan
    I'm feeling it! I'm feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeling it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, yesterday was a disappointing day in hairband land. Ratt was announced to play an outside venue 10 minutes from my house. Thing is, I didn't recognize anyone in the picture. Turns out the drummer has assembled an entirely new band and is touring as Ratt. Just the drummer is original. WTF? 

That's a niche corner - mentioning Ratt. I have a personal side story about them. They were our local band. They went to my high school. The band in their high school years was like our house high school band and played live at the Friday night dances every few weeks or at least every month.

They weren't Ratt at that point but it was most of the guys that became Ratt. They looked normal at that point. They didn't become glam until they moved to LA. One of the guitarists, Rob, actually lived on my street. He was oblivious to sound control. He would would often play with a loud amp in his garage with the garage door open.

I never was a fan of Ratt music. But when they played at our high school and played live the hit rock songs of the day (from the Doobie Brothers, Ted Nugent, Boston, Led Zeppelin, Free, Edgar Winter, and all sorts of others) it was pretty fantastic.

I feel sorry for high school kids of today when they go to their high school dances. It seems there now often is a kid with an iPhone attached to some speakers generating the dance tunes. Not the same excitement as the live band performances at high school dances of yesteryear.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Some great concerts coming up. 2016/05/09 12:39:17 (permalink)
    lawajava
    smallstonefan

That's a niche corner - mentioning Ratt. I have a personal side story about them. They were our local band. They went to my high school. The band in their high school years was like our house high school band and played live at the Friday night dances every few weeks or at least every month.

They weren't Ratt at that point but it was most of the guys that became Ratt. They looked normal at that point. They didn't become glam until they moved to LA. One of the guitarists, Rob, actually lived on my street. He was oblivious to sound control. He would would often play with a loud amp in his garage with the garage door open.

I never was a fan of Ratt music. But when they played at our high school and played live the hit rock songs of the day (from the Doobie Brothers, Ted Nugent, Boston, Led Zeppelin, Free, Edgar Winter, and all sorts of others) it was pretty fantastic.

I feel sorry for high school kids of today when they go to their high school dances. It seems there now often is a kid with an iPhone attached to some speakers generating the dance tunes. Not the same excitement as the live band performances at high school dances of yesteryear.

Where was this?  The drummer I knew (Mike Groves) played with them around the Mickey Ratt time.  He wasn't with them long though.  We were all from San Diego (as was DiMartini though I never met him even though we are all the same age - Warren was in LaJolla while we were in San Carlos a bit east).

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    lawajava
    Re: Some great concerts coming up. 2016/05/09 20:17:05 (permalink)
    Yep, I went to La Jolla High. Pretty precise huh?

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    craigb
    Re: Some great concerts coming up. 2016/05/09 21:54:56 (permalink)
    I seem to recall losing to your team in the lacrosse finals...

La Jolla is a pretty nice area.  I went to La Jolla Shores often as a kid, then worked near there and was even a member of the Torrey Pines Golf Course back then.

On a similar note, a friend of mine on my dart team back then (coincidentally out of the Clubhouse at Torrey Pines) used to live in Pasadena where their house party band was Van Halen.  Cool, eh?

lawajava
    Re: Some great concerts coming up. 2016/05/09 23:00:31 (permalink)
    I was going to mention, but held off, that I'd heard Van Halen used to play high schools too when they were young.

I think I even heard that Eddie used to play his solos with his back to the crowd so that no one could observe how he pulled off the solos.  Don't know if that's real or not, but I recall hearing it way back in the day.

craigb
    Re: Some great concerts coming up. 2016/05/10 04:05:04 (permalink)
    Did you ever see any of the bands playing the circuit back then?  There was Lehr's Greenhouse under the 805/8 interchange bridge, Parkway Bowl in El Cajon, a very popular place out in Pacific Beach (who's name escapes me), and others that I used to know so well but can't remember at all anymore!  LOL.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1