Advice Please

Author
tonyzub999
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
2016/05/01 17:50:21 (permalink)

Advice Please

I am a long term user of cakewalk going all the way back to Cakewalk 2 or 3 when it was MIDI only.  Most recently I used a workstation with SONAR X1 Producer which worked great, but now I’m looking to add something a little more portable to do some on location recording and then bring it back into my studio for final editing and production.
For a little background I previously recorded using mixed media.  I have a lot of high quality outboard studio gear, Lexicon PCM 80 and 90, high quality Great River preamps, Apogee converters, ADATs, Reel to Reel tape decks, SDR hard disk recorders, tube gear, Mackie Digital 8 Bus console, DBX analog compressors, Neumann and AKG mics etc.  My old school approach is to get the best quality analog sound on capture, then use high quality D/A converters then outboard effects on the mix.
So a have a few questions.  I want to replace my older laptop which has a Firewire port with a new one with a Thunderbolt port because some of my current studio gear uses a Firewire interface rather than USB, (for example my Focusrite Liquid 56).  My understanding is that I can use an Apple Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter to convert.  Is my thinking correct on this?  Will this configuration work well?  If so, what brand of laptop would you suggest?  I would guess that I need an I7 processor. 
Also, can I have Sonar running on my workstation and laptop with one license? 
Anything else I should check out before making this move?  Thanks for the advice.  I'm pumped about getting my gear going again.

3 Replies Related Threads

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Advice Please 2016/05/01 20:20:44 (permalink)
    Well, I know nothing much about either Thunderbolt OR using an Apple converter, so hopefully some one that DOES know will post some helpful info for you.

With regard to a couple of other things you mentioned in your original post:

1) CPU - while the Intel i7's have the best speed, there ARE some really good CPU's available from AMD - in fact I have 3 desktops running with AMD CPU's and all are CRAZY fast running Sonar or other music applications.  The reason I mention this is that you can get an 8-core AMD CPU and add a nice motherboard to the bundle deal for anywhere from around $110 to about $170, which is WAY less costly than for an Intel i7 and a motherboard for it.  (some Intel-ready motherboards cost upwards of $200, not counting the CPU, which could be anywhere from around $225-$375 or more.  Some retailers offer AMD bundle deals, where if you buy the motherboard and AMD CPU at the same time, you can get one of several motherboards to pick from for anywhere from NO cost up to about $50-$60 for the motherboard.

2) With regard to Cakewalk licensing - the license agreements for Cakewalk recording software DOES allow you to install the software on a 2nd, or even a 3rd machine, BUT you are NOT allowed to be running Sonar on more than a SINGLE computer at a time.  So, whichever computer you want to use, at any given time, is FINE - just please just run a single Sonar on a single computer at any one time.  I have 3 computers loaded with Sonar, and am following the license agreements by running it on a single computer - picking which computer depends on what I am doing and where I physically AM.

3) I would suggest you do some additional research on Windows and Thunderbolt - I believe there may well be support for it with Windows 10 - I recently say something about it all, but did not pay any attention, because I was in the middle of hooking up gear.  Anyways, you will also want to gauge whether or not your existing audio interface is worth investing in additional hardware to keep it running, versus looking at a more current audio interface.  If they have drivers for Windows 10 for your current interface, then that's GREAT news, as they are seemingly going to continue support for it for at least a while.  I ALSO want to say that I believe Jim Rosenberry recently posted in I believe the Computers forum, something about CRAZY low latency possible with Thunderbolt interfaces in Windows - like being able to go down for ASIO  Buffer Size to as low as 32 or even 16 samples, and getting something less then 3 or 4 milliseconds.  Now THAT is a great deal, though I am quite content running my setup at a Sample Rate of 48 k and an ASIO Buffer Size of 128.  I CAN go down to 64, but I leave it at 128 because I still have no noticeable lag, and really never have to worry about monitoring/tweaking things.

I hope you have a BLAST with whatever you end up with - There are some national retailers with really really good prices - AND some of them price match.  I happen to usually use a place called Micro Center - www.microcenter.com because I am happy with their prices and customer service.  They ship, and have 30+ stores around the US.  I believe New Egg, and others may well also price match.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    tonyzub999
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re: Advice Please 2016/05/03 13:28:58 (permalink)
    Bob, thanks for the reply.  We have a Microcenter here in town also.  I use them frequently.
    Tony

robert_e_bone

I hope you have a BLAST with whatever you end up with - There are some national retailers with really really good prices - AND some of them price match.  I happen to usually use a place called Micro Center -  because I am happy with their prices and customer service.  They ship, and have 30+ stores around the US.  I believe New Egg, and others may well also price match.

Bob Bone

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Advice Please 2016/05/03 16:28:32 (permalink)
    I do know the Apple Thunderbolt to firewire adaptor cable works fine on Macs running OS X and the operating system, interface drivers etc. just see the firewire device as a firewire device, if you see what I mean. Whether the same applies to Windows PCs I don't know, we don't have a PC with Thunderbolt ports. I have seen people saying they've managed to get Thunderbolt to ethernet working on PCs from Win 8 onwards, and that some have managed to get audio interfaces working, though getting ASIO to work in that configuration seems an issue.

Google may be the most productive way to find out what works and what doesn't.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1