Maybe I should have just bought a new PC?

Author
ston
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 965
2016/05/11 07:19:26 (permalink)

Maybe I should have just bought a new PC?

I had an Extreme GAS Blowout Explosion yesterday in response to a friend sending me a link to a Supermicro motherboard which had 2x full fat sized PCI slots.  I'd been planning on buying an external PCIe<->PCI enclosure to continue using my PCI based sound cards but as they cost as much as this new motherboard and I'd need a new motherboard to upgrade my system anyway, this seemed like a good idea.

I'm keeping the case, PSU, HDDs, SSD, optical drive, audio cards, peripherals and such and have ordered the following:

Supermicro X11SAE-F Mobo
6th Gen i7 6700, 3.4 GHz (I considered the 4GHz variant, but both the price and power consumption hikes put me off)
64GB 2133 UDIMM ECC Crucial RAM (4x 16GB sticks)
MSI Nvidia GTX 970 gfx card

Not exactly a 'bargain' as the above came to a bit over a grand (which is why I was wondering about whether buying a new PC was the better option), but I don't think there's anyway I'd get a pre-built with PCI slots and I also don't need to buy the external enclosure.

A looooooong weekend of reinstalling awaits...  I've got a retail Windows 7 64-bit Professional licence, so that's what I'll install on the 'new' machine.

12 Replies Related Threads

JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re: Maybe I should have just bought a new PC? 2016/05/11 11:54:57 (permalink)
    64 GB of ram?!  Makes us with 16GB or less feel like mere mortals.  I salute you, sir!

I'm curious if those PCI slots are on their own bus (Since PCI slots on modern boards tend to be bridged. Not a problem per se, but can be an issue if you need a lot of bandwidth).

Keep us posted!

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    mikedocy
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1157
    Re: Maybe I should have just bought a new PC? 2016/05/11 12:52:51 (permalink)
    the AsRock H97M Pro 4 has two standard PCI sockets, although the processor socket is 1150, not 1151.
    I got it for about 40 dollars in a bundle deal with an i5 4690K ($200 for the i5, $40 for the mb).

ston
    Re: Maybe I should have just bought a new PC? 2016/05/12 04:23:55 (permalink)
    JonD
    64 GB of ram?!  Makes us with 16GB or less feel like mere mortals.  I salute you, sir!

I decided to push the boat all the way out.  I think it sank :-)  Or maybe it just sailed off the edge of the world...

I'm curious if those PCI slots are on their own bus (Since PCI slots on modern boards tend to be bridged. Not a problem per se, but can be an issue if you need a lot of bandwidth).

Keep us posted!

Bridged off of PCIe I think (most everything is).  Talking of pushing the boat out, I used the M$ Media Creation tool to burn a Win 10 install DVD yesterday, so I'm going to install that with my Win 7 Pro key on the new box.

kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: Maybe I should have just bought a new PC? 2016/05/14 15:30:46 (permalink)
    If you run EastWest libraries 64GB will help.

Most consumer priced board still have PCI slots. Gamer boards have more PCIe slots.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Maybe I should have just bought a new PC? 2016/05/14 15:40:13 (permalink)
    If you choose a motherboard with PCI slots, they're bridged into the PCIe bus via a bridge chip.
    Lynx and Echo cards are particularly fussy (don't work at all with bridged PCI slots).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    arachnaut
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1168
    Re: Maybe I should have just bought a new PC? 2016/05/14 16:11:40 (permalink)
    A Xeon processor?

If I went that way, I'd get a dual CPU motherboard so I could have 12 or 18 cores, or whatever.

I know practically nothing about Xeon stuff, is it really more suitable for audio?

Xeon processors are not usually unlocked in regards to the clock, are they?

I'm not saying you've done anything odd, I'd just ignorant and would like to be enlightened as to why you went that way.

I guess I'm just thinking the cost is much higher for these kinds of parts, so you may as well go for broke and get the best. 

- Jim Hurley -
    SONAR Platinum - x64  - Windows 10 Pro 
    ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0;  Core i7-2600K@4.4GHz; 16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X;
    GeForce GT 740; Saffire Pro14 MixControl 3.7; Axiom 61
    64-Bit audio, SR: 48kHz, ASIO 256 samples latency, Rec/Play I/O Buffers 512k, Total Round Trip Latency 13 ms, Pow-r 3 dither 
    kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: Maybe I should have just bought a new PC? 2016/05/15 14:24:39 (permalink)
    mikedocy
    the AsRock H97M Pro 4 has two standard PCI sockets, although the processor socket is 1150, not 1151.
    I got it for about 40 dollars in a bundle deal with an i5 4690K ($200 for the i5, $40 for the mb).

That's a good deal.  I have the same board but with an i7 4790. 

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    ston
    Re: Maybe I should have just bought a new PC? 2016/05/16 07:11:14 (permalink)
    Not using a Xeon processor as the board is 6th gen i-series compatible (so 6th gen i7 is what's going in it).

Lots of 'fun' with this Saturday morning, no post, no gfx output :-(  Ran it in a bare minimum config and the problem remains.  Ran it without any memory and I did get the correct BIOS error code beeps to indicate this.

I'm hoping it's a PSU issue, it needs to be SSI compliant (another way of saying eps12v I believe), and supply 1.5A to the ethernet ports.  I think mine should be OK but I'm not 100% sure.  A friend at work is going to bring one in tomorrow so I'll see if that makes any difference.
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Maybe I should have just bought a new PC? 2016/05/16 09:39:46 (permalink)
    arachnaut
    A Xeon processor?

If I went that way, I'd get a dual CPU motherboard so I could have 12 or 18 cores, or whatever.

I know practically nothing about Xeon stuff, is it really more suitable for audio?

There's absolutely *zero* advantage to running a Xeon CPU for DAW purposes.
    In fact, you'll pay significantly more *and* take a performance hit.

Xeon CPUs are running a significantly slower clock-speed.
    In a perfect scenario, you want high clock-speed *and* more cores.
    When it comes to DSP performance, you don't want to sacrifice significant clock-speed for more cores.

As an example, the latest iMac with Skylake 6700k is outperforming the $4000 Mac Pro (which is using a Xeon CPU running at 3.5GHz).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    ston
    Re: Maybe I should have just bought a new PC? 2016/05/17 08:47:55 (permalink)
    Oh well, I've got an RME for the mobo and cpu now.  Scan are going to test them on return and send out a replacement.  They've agreed to first test any replacement parts so hopefully next time everything should be OK.

ston
    Re: Maybe I should have just bought a new PC? 2016/05/18 05:25:06 (permalink)
    Well, this all went a bit South last night, I superseded my already very high expectations of being able to completely f*** up.

So I get home late and tired (delayed train in the morning, broken down [later] train in the evening) and get to work packaging up the motherboard and CPU for returning it today.  The mobo has a plastic cap which protects the socket pins (bed-o-nails).  Try as I might, I just couldn't figure out how the damn thing fitted; it seemed to me at the time 'obvious' that it would clip to the underside of the load plate which would then hold it in place.  However, the outcome of trying to fit it like that completely trashed the CPU socket pins.  The irony is not lost on me.  I subsequently found a picture on the internet which showed that the cap clipped on top of the load plate.  It does wrangle somewhat that I'm going to have to pay for it now after it rocked up DOA but I had little choice other than to 'fess up about being a massive klutz.

My first experience with a Supermicro mobo hasn't exactly been the best, but I think I've now found a Gigabyte one for considerably less which has the 2x PCI slots I need.  Watch this space for exciting future developments...
    ston
    Re: Maybe I should have just bought a new PC? 2016/06/07 09:21:19 (permalink)
    Well, the bitter conclusion of this particular tale of woe|stupidity has now been reached.

So I put what I considered to be a generous offer on the table to Scan; I'd accept the hit on the motherboard and buy the Gigabyte one I mentioned, plus some memory from them too.  They completely ignored this.  So that offer got withdrawn, and as the motherboard and CPU were already being returned to them I requested that the CPU be refunded and as before I'd take the hit on the motherboard.  They replied saying that the CPU could not be re-stocked, i.e. due to the cost of a £5 fan which I'd have happily paid for.  Given that, I then decided to take them up on their offer to get the board repaired for a fixed fee of £50.  Over a week goes by, I emailed them several more times chasing them up on what was happening and they finally respond by saying that there would be an additional 'service charge' (on top of the 'fixed price' of £50) of £25 + VAT because they were 'acting above and beyond their normal operating procedures' (their exact words) and that there would be no guarantee whatsoever regarding the efficacy of the repair nor the time frame in which the repair would take place in.

This from "a company with a high priority in Customer Service".  So they jerk me around for over a week ignoring my attempts to find out what was happening, then come back to me with an additional charge ne'er before mentioned because they're going so far out of their way with no promise whatsoever that throwing good money after bad would have any beneficial effect.

Well.  I kinda lost it at this point.  F*** you Scan! :-D 

I might have a Skylake i7 going relatively cheap fairly soon if anybody's interested.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1