Does Rapture Pro actually work?

Author
Widetrack
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 310
2016/05/29 10:50:19 (permalink)

Does Rapture Pro actually work?

R-Pro looks like a great instrument, and I'd normally be all over it. But the number of ongoing problems with installation, absent samples and prograams and so on have made me leery.

Does this synth actually work as well as it should? Is there anyone out there who has installed it with few or no problems and gets to use it as advertized? What chance do I have of installing it without any problems and using it without significant problems?

Please, let me hear your opinions (about the synth, please).

WT

19 Replies Related Threads

gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/05/29 11:33:05 (permalink)
    I use it and like it.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/05/29 11:39:15 (permalink)
    Widetrack
     What chance do I have of installing it without any problems and using it without significant problems?

Try the demo http://www.cakewalk.com/P..cts/Rapture/Try-Rapture
    Widetrack
    • Total Posts : 310
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/05/29 14:42:50 (permalink)
    I've thought of trying the demo, but I'm afraid it might mess up my large volume of DimPro programs.
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/05/29 15:14:10 (permalink)
    RPro does nothing to existing DPro data. The full RPro installer copies the DPro program files into the RPro program location but leaves DPro alone. The RPro installer also reads the DPro registry entries and adds the appropriate parts to the RPro registry entry so RPro can play DPro samples.
    rsinger
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/05/29 16:32:37 (permalink)
    Widetrack
    Does this synth actually work as well as it should? Is there anyone out there who has installed it with few or no problems and gets to use it as advertized? What chance do I have of installing it without any problems and using it without significant problems?

Please, let me hear your opinions (about the synth, please).

I didn't jump on it right away, I waited until most of the problems were resolved. I haven't had any problems and it works fine for me. The only complaint I have is I seem to have a lot of copies of samples. DPro, Session Pro, and RPro - not a big deal.

Sonar Platinum, 64 bit, win 7 pro - 64 bit 
    Core i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gb Ram, 480Gb + 256Gb SSDs, 1 Tb Velociraptor, Echo AudioFire4

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/05/29 16:45:59 (permalink)
    It is possible to run DPro and RPro off the same multisamples folder. This may be done with either a registry edit or directory junction.
    rsinger
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/05/30 14:08:57 (permalink)
    I'll look into that.

Sonar Platinum, 64 bit, win 7 pro - 64 bit 
    Core i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gb Ram, 480Gb + 256Gb SSDs, 1 Tb Velociraptor, Echo AudioFire4

markoburrows
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/06/01 07:32:32 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Purchased it and installed it yesterday. Spent last night into the wee hours playing with it (Oooooh errrr Mrs.  (Sorry British Joke)). Have to say, everything I clicked on was great. Much fun to play with it. The only thing I could fault was the lack of a single bowed violin or fiddle; but that just may have been me...

I'm not the most experienced Synth player, my only real experience is my Korg Microsynth which has all the elements of this but a lousy interface. This seems much easier and therefore a load more fun.

Haven't noticed any buggy behaviour with the exception that playing it outside sonar with an external midi keyboard, the computer keyboard also plays notes as well as typing. I'll have to get to the bottom of that but it isn't a problem and may even be an aid...(Don't know yet). No problems with either the download of the installation. Maybe I am lucky if you say its been a problem for others.

If it helps I a, running it on 6gBit on an AMD quad core 4300 processor at 3.8 Ghz with 8GB of Memory and an SSD hard drive.

Perhaps it is time for you to jump in and test the water?

Best Regards

Marko
    Entertaining the few since 1962
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/06/01 11:25:51 (permalink)
    No issues with installation or missing samples here. There have beem updates since I first installed.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    John Joseph [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/06/01 21:35:00 (permalink)
    markoburrows
    Haven't noticed any buggy behaviour with the exception that playing it outside sonar with an external midi keyboard, the computer keyboard also plays notes as well as typing. I'll have to get to the bottom of that but it isn't a problem and may even be an aid...(Don't know yet). No problems with either the download of the installation. Maybe I am lucky if you say its been a problem for others.

For what it's worth that's intentional, it's meant to be like a fake MIDI controller. I wanna say the mapping is available but I'd have to double check...

And (personally) I use RP and like it... but I'm a Cakewalk employee so take that with a grain of something. 
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/06/01 21:47:21 (permalink)
    PC keyboard keys used by the microhost are documented in the RPro help file pages 138-140. They should not be active in the search field though. Unfortunately the keys are active there too.
    John Joseph [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/06/01 21:51:58 (permalink)
    Haha, and yet they are! Notes played when I was searching in Z2 just now, and it uses the same microhost as RP. That is pretty crazy... I shall look into it.

Also if I hold a key and alt tab away the note sticks until I come back and jostle it.
    promidi
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1220
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/06/09 07:21:49 (permalink)
    John Joseph [Cakewalk]

For what it's worth that's intentional, it's meant to be like a fake MIDI controller. I wanna say the mapping is available but I'd have to double check...

It's also interesting to note that when you're typing in the search field to look for a patch name, the PC keyboard still plays the notes as you type the search word....

(I have reported this issue ages ago - but you guys must have bigger fish)

RP is still an awesome synth

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
    PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
    CPU: i5 4670. 
    Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
    Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
    : Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
    ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
    Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
    ChristopherM
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/06/09 13:18:53 (permalink)
    It works for me and it's a convenient way out of the muddle of legacy versions of Rapture and Dim Pro that continues to be a "feature" of my rig.
    jonboper
    • Total Posts : 323
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/06/09 17:28:21 (permalink)
    Hm, so since I own all three (R-Pro, Rapture, D-Pro) and am about to do a clean install, does the Rapture Pro install automatically install all of the legacy content, or do you have to install all 3?

http://smaltmine.bandcamp.com/
    https://booleanoperators.bandcamp.com/

All music was recorded and all in Sonar.

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/06/09 17:42:57 (permalink)
    The DPro and Rapture programs and samples in flac format are included with RPro. Keep in mind however, if a project currently references DPro or Rapture, RPro will not automatically replace the legacy synth references. If you decide to install DPro and Rapture, it is possible to run DPro from the RPro samples but not possible to run Rapture from the RPro samples. This is because the RPro samples are flac files and Rapture does not read flac files.
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/06/09 23:28:39 (permalink)
    I was a HUGE Rapture fan. But when Rapture Pro first came out, I thought it was a major step backward. Its only saving grace was it did a better job with Dim Pro programs than Dim Pro itself. There were reliability issues, volume matching issues, missing sample issues...just trying to use the same expansion packs on my desktop and laptop was problematic.

But there have been several updates, to the point that I now use Rapture Pro all the time. It seems that those with the most success just let the installer do its thing. Later you can move the samples elsewhere and point to them, as scook has detailed in several posts. It seems that when you start moving program files to other locations R-Pro isn't too happy about that. I leave them on the C: drive because they don't take up much space.

There's still room for improvement if you're creating sounds for it, like when you go to save a program and Rapture Pro takes you to a folder with samples if that's what you used last. Also, the modulation matrix doesn't "tear off" so you have to switch back and forth between views more than I'd like, and more than you had to do with Rapture. A few keyboard shortcuts would be killer...so would something like the "Quick Grouping" that SONAR has when you want to make changes across multiple elements. 

Now, here's the really good stuff.

• The Instruments page. If you have a controller with sliders and knobs, having this degree of real-time control is wonderful.
    • The modulation options. Step sequencing is off the hook, you can do all kinds of incredible modulations...including subtle randomizing effects that bring programs to life.
    • The effects. No, they're not as good as many plug-ins...but, being able to build particular sounds into a program, and control them from the Instruments page, gets extra points from me.
    • The multiple filter responses and DSP options. Tying these to modulation can do all kinds of sonic mutations.
    • SFZ-based format. The SFZ format appears daunting but once you become fluent in it - which looks much harder than it is - you can assemble your own instruments easily. 

I created the Gibson Bass Expansion Pack for Rapture Pro and unless I'm playing an actual electric bass, it's all I use for bass parts. Part of that is because of what I can do with the sounds in Rapture Pro, and part of it is being able to create my own programs easily, so I sampled slides and other idiomatic elements. I'm finishing up a new expansion pack called Syntronic which is heavily electronic but based on twisting the living daylights out of guitar samples...for those who remember my Electronic Guitars expansion pack for Rapture, this is the far more sophisticated follow-up.

So yeah...Rapture Pro is cool. It does things other instruments don't do. For those who don't want to get deep into creating programs, the sample library has some real winners in there. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/06/10 06:02:08 (permalink)
    Anderton
    • SFZ-based format. The SFZ format appears daunting but once you become fluent in it - which looks much harder than it is - you can assemble your own instruments easily.

is there any up to date documentation for the SFZ format used by RP specifically? SFZ-based instruments all seem to use variations of it (ie, an opcode understood by one vst might not be universally understood by others)
    one good resource is http://www.sfzformat.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

just a sec

pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Does Rapture Pro actually work? 2016/06/10 06:02:09 (permalink)
    Anderton

is there any up to date documentation for the SFZ format used by RP specifically? SFZ-based instruments all seem to use variations of it (ie, an opcode understood by one vst might not be universally understood by others)
    one good resource is http://www.sfzformat.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

just a sec

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1