Basic Help please

Author
oldchadders
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2016/06/04 12:00:54 (permalink)

Basic Help please

Years ago I used one of the early Cakewalk programs, connected to a very basic midi keyboard for input and output. My needs were very simple, just some simple somg accompaniments for schools. Most of my input was done using the "piano roll" view. After a while, my activities moved elsewhere, now, some three computer upgrades later, I have a similar need and installed Music Creator 5.
Istarted a "new project" which set up four tracks automatically. One (vocals) I did not need and managed to delete. Using the PRV I created a simple melody on the "piano track". I now want to see how that would sound as a violin. How do I change it? I have managed to make the text at the top of the track icon change from piano to violin, but the sound still comes out the same. I have clicked on everything I think I can find but to no avail. I have also found numerous instructional videos on line, but none seem to deal with this most simple factor. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks.

12 Replies Related Threads

sonaries
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: Basic Help please 2016/06/05 04:07:51 (permalink)
    Hi
    Please check the trackinfo
    On your left find your track: input/output
    click the arrow button to expand
    assign the input port
    Look in options midi devices and make sure your'keyboard is enabled in the input'port.
    The output port is allready there but the CH, Bank, and Patch indicators are blanc so you must fill in
    what CHannel (midi 1 to 16) PATCH  just right click on the arrow and make your choice
    succes
    ris

KN6000-MC AC1200-Roland SD50- Roland Quad capture- alto AMX100, Sonar V-STUDIO 100, SONTRONICS STC-2
    oldchadders
    Re: Basic Help please 2016/06/05 07:13:49 (permalink)
    Thanks,
    I don't have an "input", I am "inputting" the notes in the PRV, output is via the inbuilt soft synth. My intention is to create an mp3 from the resultant audio, which can then be played as needed, thus the "midi" is just a "means to an end" sandwiched between sheet music and a sound being produced.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Basic Help please 2016/06/05 08:13:52 (permalink)
    You always have an input if you have a sound card...and that means you also have an output as well.

My web page has a tutorial on how to get different instruments to play using TTS. If you have MC5, you have TTS as well. It's a nice softsynth that was included with MC5 and you should be using it as your default synth if you are not already. If not, you need to set TTS as the default..... then, follow this tutorial.

http://www.herbhartley.com/hh2_edited_slimmer_005.htm

read the info there, and use what you need.  To learn how to switch instrument sounds, go down to "Advanced TTS" and follow the instructions.  If you have questions, just ask. I tried to make it as easy as I could.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    oldchadders
    Re: Basic Help please 2016/06/05 09:28:40 (permalink)
    Hi Herb,
    Thanks for the link to your tutorial. I took a quick look, but will follow it with more care later when I can give it the time it deserves. At the moment, I understand the need for the output definition, but not the "input" definition if I am not using any sort of midi input. However, as I said I wil get stuck in later.
    Thanks again.
    oldchadders
    Re: Basic Help please 2016/06/05 09:53:00 (permalink)
    Herb,
    I couldn't wait to get stuck in!
    I followed the first part of your instructions and got something rather different.
    I have four tracks, the two originals (labelled "vocals" and "guitar") then two new ones, labelled:
    TTS-1 2OUTPUT1:S
    TTS-1 2
    no reference in the latter two to audio or midi.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Basic Help please 2016/06/05 10:41:43 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum.
    The TTS-1 2OUTPUT1:S should be the folder that the synth is in. Does it have a manila folder-type icon?
    The TTS-1 2 is the actual synth; it takes output from the MIDI track and converts it to audio.
    Since you're starting off with MIDI, I would choose the MIDI template instead of the Normal template, or Blank (no tracks) template and add a MIDI track or 2.
    Then change the output of the MIDI track from Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth to TTS-1. 

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    oldchadders
    Re: Basic Help please 2016/06/05 12:04:28 (permalink)
    Hi Greg,
    The TTS-1 2 OUTPUT 1:S track has a keyboard icon, the other shows a DIN plug.
    Got to leave it for now (getting nagged by SWMBO) but will get back on it later. I tried to post a screenshot, but I could not see how to insert it from my computer ( there are times when the will diminishes!)
    Pete
    oldchadders
    Re: Basic Help please 2016/06/06 06:06:45 (permalink)
    I don't appear to have a "midi" template".
    I opened a blank template, added two midi tracks, moved my cursor to the left of the track name until the "double arrow" appeared, right clicked, selected properties. The only option I have for "output" is "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth", so how do I select TTS-1?
    Am I just being thick?
    57Gregy
    Re: Basic Help please 2016/06/06 08:26:19 (permalink)
    I believe in MC 5 you click Insert at the top and navigate to the soft synth you want to use.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

57Gregy
    Re: Basic Help please 2016/06/06 08:36:04 (permalink)
    If you're starting from scratch, inserting a synth will create a MIDI track and a soft synth audio track at once. That MIDI track should have it's output already set to TTS-1.
    If you already have a MIDI track with notes in it, you can uncheck the box 'Create MIDI Source Track' in the insert synth dialog, since you already have a MIDI source track.
    You will have to change the output of the MIDI track from MS GS Wavetable to TTS-1, though.
    TTS-1 will accept input from up to 16 MIDI tracks Each MIDI track must be using a different output channel or they'll all sound the same.

Greg 

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Basic Help please 2016/06/06 09:14:12 (permalink)
    My tutorial assumes that you have 3 midi tracks and one audio track.  You can do it custom (open a blank project and add tracks according to what you need) or use a template and change it as needed.

You need to insert the TTS synth into the FX bin in the audio track.
    You need to be able to import the midi data one way or the other.

You can either use the mouse to draw in the midi notes to tracks 1 thru 3... the midi tracks, or use a live midi keyboard. It's so much easier if you can input the midi from a midi keyboard in real time. This requires a midi input. A midi input becomes available to MC5 when you either connect an interface that supports midi input OR.... if the musical synth keyboard uses USB to communicate with the computer. Your factory sound card generally will not support midi, hence, you don't seem to have a midi input available. As soon as you connect the midi capable device, the midi inputs should appear in your MC5 list for input devices under the MIDI option.

Once you have all that set up, it's simply then a matter of setting up the channel and input/output routing as shown in my tutorial.

Essentially, you record the midi data INTO the midi track. Next, you send the midi data OUT of that track on a channel that corresponds to the same INPUT channel number in TTS.  In TTS, that particular channel has a patch assigned to it. Could be piano, bass, strings, flute, bagpipes, drums, or whatever. You can echo that data so that you hear it in real time as you play. You set the details for each track and channel in MC5's Track Inspector window.

It might sound complicated, but once you grasp the concept, it's really very simple.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    oldchadders
    Re: Basic Help please 2016/06/06 10:33:27 (permalink)
    Thanks, Herb,
    I've got the "concept" it's how to refine all the "finer points" that is my problem.
    Best
    Pete
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1