Deciding between two all-in-one PCs

Author
Marshall
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 602
2016/06/05 04:34:30 (permalink)

Deciding between two all-in-one PCs

Hi all
I am trying to decide between the following 27 inch touchscreen all in one Windows 10 PCs. I already own a Focusrite Saffire Pro14 (could upgrade), and I would like to run an additional monitor if possible. Which should I choose? TBH, I think the only thing stopping me going for the Dell is that the processor is 4th Gen, whereas I think the HP is 6th Gen (?) I will ask if there is an option to upgrade the processor. Also, I don't need an ultra quiet PC,although that would be nice, but if any one knows how much fan noise either one produces, that would be good info. 

Thanks very much! 

HP Pavilion 27-n270na: Processor: Quad core Intel i7-6770T, 2.8Ghz, 8GB Memory, Drive 2TB, Ports:2 x USB3.0, 4 x USB2.0, 1 x HDMI output, screen: 1920x 1080, full HD IPS display, graphics AMD Radeon R7 A360 (4GB DDR3 dedicated), DVD burner, price £1,000

DellXPS 27: Processor:4th Gen i7-XXXS, MOD, PRC, HSW, 16b2S, XPDT, memory 16GB Dual channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600Mhz - 2 DIMMs, drive 2TB + 64GB Solid state drive, screen: LED backlit touch with IPS/Anti glare and adobe RGB QHD 2560 x 1440, Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB DDR5 with TPM, ports  6 x USB 3.0 HDMI in & out + 1 x Thunderbolt, price £1,300

18 Replies Related Threads

tenfoot
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2186
    Re: Deciding between two all-in-one PCs 2016/06/05 04:52:53 (permalink)
    I have a HP all in one that has slightly lower specs than yours that I run as a media server Marshall. I haven't particularly noticed fan noise - I would say it is quite probably quieter, though certainly no louder than my HP i7 laptop or older i5 Macbook Pro.

A small complaint I have with it is that the included wireless keyboard is less than stellar, though hardly a huge issue. The biggest drawback with mine is that there is no way to natively run a second monitor from its video card. I notice in your specs that his has been rectified, which is great news.

I have had a great run from half a dozen previous HP laptops, FWIW. I had one Dell that was also OK, though I have had much less experience with them.

Good luck with the new machine!

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Deciding between two all-in-one PCs 2016/06/05 05:23:09 (permalink)
    This is probably something you already considered and dismissed, but I feel it's worth noting that you can get lots better value, performance and expandability using a regular tower and separate monitors. An all in one is elegant but that's its main selling point. If you're committed to this then I would get a specific CPU number for the Dell and compare benchmarks of both all-in-one CPUs to common desktop i7s. That should give you a decent idea of how well it will handle itself. RAM is generally upgradeable and with USB3/Thunderbolt storage on a fast SSD isn't really an issue either.
    post edited by Sanderxpander - 2016/06/05 06:29:50
    tenfoot
    Re: Deciding between two all-in-one PCs 2016/06/05 05:55:49 (permalink)
    Sanderxpander speaks the truth! A lot more bang for buck in a tower. An all in one really is a glorified laptop. That said, if you lIke the convenience with those specs will get very decent performance. I would up the ram in the HP to 16gb though, otherwise it will almost certainly ship with 2x4gb ram, and you will need to change both sticks to get to 16gb down the track.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    igiwigi
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 437
    Re: Deciding between two all-in-one PCs 2016/06/05 06:06:58 (permalink)
    Hi
    I have done some homework on computers and ASUS comes out more reliable than than other machines for breakdowns etc  HP have gone backwards as many others have.

ALL THE BEST
    JOHN
    tenfoot
    Re: Deciding between two all-in-one PCs 2016/06/05 06:21:02 (permalink)
    igiwigi
    Hi
    I have done some homework on computers and ASUS comes out more reliable than than other machines for breakdowns etc  HP have gone backwards as many others have.

ALL THE BEST
    JOHN

Not my experience John, but of course YMMV. To be honest, beyond personal anecdotes (mine included!) I don't see much difference between major PC hardware manufacturers nowdays. They are all pretty reliable,  otherwise they wouldn't survive.  After sales service is really the only differentiating factor. HP in Aus at least seem to be as good as any. 

Bruce.

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Deciding between two all-in-one PCs 2016/06/05 06:35:09 (permalink)
    Keep in mind an All in One PC is basically a Laptop with a desktop screen and keyboard.  The CPU's are laptop type CPU's, not desktop types.

I do part-time PC support and do not see any significant reliability differences in brands.  I have more clients with HP and Dell's than other brands. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Deciding between two all-in-one PCs 2016/06/05 08:35:29 (permalink)
    its funny, ive built quite a few pc in my time, so id like to think I know my stuff. 
    if we are talking about consumer pc's. I think ASUS is crap.
    but then again, its like everything, sometimes you get a good product, sometimes you get a bad one. in my experences, ASUS, have been less then par.
    I have found Toshibas to be very reliable on the consumer stages. home use, exc.. but not in the daw world
    I will say this about ASUS, they make a good mobo ...but that's about it.

don't be a fraid to choose a 4th gen.
    I just built a new system with a 4th gen Intel I7 4790K.
    it is very fast and uses next to nothing in resources. you would be amazed how much it changes your work flow when you have a pc that gives you no issues and loads things fast.
    it allows you to be more inspirational.
    post edited by chuckebaby - 2016/06/05 08:57:31

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

MANTRASKY
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 170
    Re: Deciding between two all-in-one PCs 2016/06/05 08:48:05 (permalink)
    I would consider building my own, with Intel i7 core, SSD, Fractal R5 case (silent) it's great for a home studio, unless mobile is the criteria, Very easy to build & config.

Marshall
    Re: Deciding between two all-in-one PCs 2016/06/05 08:48:10 (permalink)
    Thanks. Appreciate I would get more from a tower, it's an aesthetics thing! Do you think the screen resolution/type as shown above would be any sort of consideration in terms of running Sonar?
    Zo
    Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5036
    Re: Deciding between two all-in-one PCs 2016/06/05 08:55:04 (permalink)
    Op try to find a refurbished z1 ( hp) the best thing you can get ...

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
    Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
    Softube Summit EQ
    IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
    EastWest Goshtwriter
    Soundforge Pro 12

tenfoot
    Re: Deciding between two all-in-one PCs 2016/06/05 22:56:27 (permalink)
    Marshall
    Thanks. Appreciate I would get more from a tower, it's an aesthetics thing! Do you think the screen resolution/type as shown above would be any sort of consideration in terms of running Sonar?

Both systems will run Sonar without issue - it is not particularly demanding with regard to video and they both have dedicated video cards. The Dell has a higher resolution screen so you can fit more on it, but as the screens are physically the same size,  obviously those elements will be smaller. The usefulness of this extra virtual real estate comes down to how close you will be to the screen, but as a general rule is certainly an advantage.
    On the ther hand, In my studio my screens are placed a bit further back than you would sit from a computer generally to allow for the near field/mid field monitor speakers to be unimpeded so a lower resolution screen suits my purpose (everything's bigger:))

I have not seen Sonar on that size/resolution screen so I can't really comment beyond that. The fact that the higher resolution screen has less video ram would not be an issue at all with regards to Sonar.

Perhaps someone else here is running a 27" @ 2560x1440 and can comment further.
    As I mentioned before I have had no experience with Dell all in ones, but can certainly vouch for the HP. They have many models and have been making them for a long time. I will say that despite the touch screen working perfectly under win 10,  I have not found it as useful as I thought. This could well be down to old habits and being very used to using a combination of mouse, keyboard and controllers though.

post edited by tenfoot - 2016/06/05 23:20:48

Bruce.

Marshall
    Re: Deciding between two all-in-one PCs 2016/06/06 06:18:29 (permalink)
    Also...Dell offers a Thunderbolt connection and multi touch. I called HP and they seemed to think their's only offers synaptics touch which they THINK means you cannot (for example) move two faders at once. How big a deal is the Thunderbolt vs. USB for recording audio? 

Thanks for all your input so far. 
    denverdrummer
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 278
    Re: Deciding between two all-in-one PCs 2016/06/08 00:22:03 (permalink)
    I have an HP laptop now, and I can tell you my next computer will probably be a Dell and/or Microsoft Surface.  The reason is HP went to a model where past the manufacturer warranty you cannot get drivers/BIOS updates without a paid support contract.  This is highway robbery in my opinion, and I will never own another HP product as a result, unless they change their business practice.  But I will say I've never had an issue with an HP computer, and they make some nice stuff.

As far as multi-touch, since Windows 8 and higher, 10 point touch is supported.  If the HP only supports 2 point touch they are using an older touch sensor that they used back on their Windows 7 touchscreen machines.  That is really surprising if they do that.

As far as Thunderbolt, a TB interface will be lower latency than a USB 3.0 device theoretically, but really depends on manufacturer and driver.  In real world situations either one will get you less than 10ms latency which is virtually undetectable.  But given everything else you've told me about, and plus what I mentioned about HP's update policy, the Dell sounds like the winner IMO.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
    tenfoot
    Re: Deciding between two all-in-one PCs 2016/06/08 10:38:13 (permalink)
    You might want to take a look at the cost of usb3 peripherals vs thunderbolt before you decide which direction to go. 

I am unaware of any change in driver support policy by hp except for servers. I have never had a paid support contract and have full acces to drivers/updates outside of warranty.

Bruce.

denverdrummer
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 278
    Re: Deciding between two all-in-one PCs 2016/06/08 13:16:38 (permalink)
    Sorry let me clarify.  HP support assistant will not work without a valid warranty or support contract, and wont even notify you of newer versions of your driver.  You can go to support.hp.com to download the drivers manually, but it's a mess.  On my envy laptop there are about 100 different models with varying components and navigating HP's website is a pain.

On the server side and workstation side, all updates are blocked without a valid warranty.  In all fairness though Hewlett Packard Enterpise which includes the Proliant severs Z-series workstations is a separate company from HP which is for consumer products and printers.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
    Marshall
    Re: Deciding between two all-in-one PCs 2016/06/08 16:53:09 (permalink)
    Thanks again all. I have gone for the HP and a Focusrite 6i6 USB...taken delivery today. The PC seems really quiet which is a bonus. The screen is gorgeous. However, it appears that touch is not working at all! Guess I'll be on to HP tech tomorrow. We will get there!
    tenfoot
    Re: Deciding between two all-in-one PCs 2016/06/09 03:42:31 (permalink)
    Oh no - what terrible luck Bill!

I am guessing you are on Win 10. If you right click on the windows start Icon on the bottom left of the screen and choose device manager>human interface devices, does HID Compliant Touch Screen show up on the list? If it does, double click on it and make sure the drivers are loaded and it is not disabled.

Bruce.

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Deciding between two all-in-one PCs 2016/06/15 14:56:43 (permalink)
    I have a hp touch all-in-one, 27 inch and it is very nice.  I have one of the pedestal mounted screen which works much better than a flipper on the back etc.  It works, and I got my very cheap last year.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1