Studio computer question

Author
Robert Penczak
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2016/06/09 16:41:14 (permalink)

Studio computer question

Hi.  I currently have Sonar Cakewalk X3 Producer, and will probably upgrade/update to lifetime updates soon.  I also have a Scarlett 18i8 audio interface, though I haven't used it much (so would welcome any tips in that area as well).

I'm going to be recording a weekly 1-2 hour show, often with a skype guest, and one or two people in the studio, filmed against a greenscreen.  i will also record music in the studio on occasion - mostly myself on an electronic keyboard with midi output, though may record kids and friends who use a mix of electronic and acoustic instruments.

I've been trying to decide between getting a laptop or a desktop for the studio, but am leaning towards a desktop since that generally gets more bang for the buck.  And if I get a desktop, trying to decide whether or not to get a silent, possibly fanless system, or just a regular box with large, slow fans, and an SSD drive to cut down on hard drive noise.

I don't have a specific budget.  Cheaper is certainly preferable, but I am hoping to do this long term in a fairly professional manner, and I've already invested in the audio interface, a camera, and an external recorder for the video, so it really comes down to weighing the benefits against the cost.

My external recorder does accept two XLR inputs, and I have a couple of okay condenser microphones.  (Have held off on getting wireless lavalier mics owing to cost - and open to suggestions on that as well).

Thanks for any advice,
Rob

3 Replies Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Studio computer question 2016/06/09 17:52:58 (permalink)
    Definitely get a desktop (you do realize nobody actually puts these on top of a desk these days) unless you need to do location recording. Laptops are generally very limited, not just in expansion but in BIOS accessibility. An 18i8 is waaay more than you need for the job you describe but OK. A fanless system is a possibility, but if you have the space moving the computer into another room and using extension cords for your controllers is another option. And if you can move the control room out of the recording room even better. Hard drive noise is generally a minor issue compared to fan noise, so an SSD to keep noise down is questionable. If you are recording MIDI, then the computer noise is a non-issue. If you are in a wired studio, then wireless mics do not make a lot of sense. A little routing under your guests' clothing or tape behind will do the job for less. unless they will be dancing. 
    Robert Penczak
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Studio computer question 2016/06/09 19:29:04 (permalink)
    Hi.  Home studio is roughly 21' long, 13' wide, and 8.5' high.  Has sound panels on three walls (not on the 13' greenscreen area) and on the ceiling above the area I'd use as my listening point about 40% down the room.

I do not have a separate control room.  Nor do I have a practical way to put whatever computer setup I use outside of the studio.  (I suppose I could drill through the drywall & the cinderblock between my studio and the basement room it comes off of and run cables for a monitor and keyboard through the wall)  But for convenience, I was trying to get a quiet computer that I could simply have in the studio with me.

Piano would be recorded as MIDI, but often will be accompanied by vocals - and will be some acoustic instruments as well.

I've thought about wired lav mics, and maybe that would be the way to go.  I'm trying to build in some flexibility, because I also put on and record educational programs outside of my home - hence the fleeting thought of getting a laptop that could do double duty.  But my main focus is on the home studio, and I'd rather be set up well for that, than having an okay setup for both home and traveling. 
    patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re: Studio computer question 2016/06/10 10:19:12 (permalink)
    You need to consult with Jim He builds fine studio PCs:
    Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1