Helpful ReplyStuck MIDI Notes

Author
GeorgeJL
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2016/06/20 16:21:50 (permalink)

Stuck MIDI Notes

I just purchased Music Creator 7 and am having trouble with stuck notes on MIDI playback. At some point in the track, the notes will begin to stick and stay on forever (all of the notes in a specific track, that is). There are certain points that it will start sticking anytime I play the track, but other spots will either start sticking or not start sticking without any discernible pattern. Specifically, copy-pasted sections will always cause it to begin sticking as will two overlapping midi inputs on the same track. The same problem occurs when I move notes in the piano roll. Hitting the panic button causes sound to stop as does stopping playback (though at first it didn't stop when I stopped playback). If at any point the sticking happens, it has about a 50-50 chance of continuing to stick every time I play anything on that track even if I reset the audio engine at which point the only way to get it to stop sticking is usually restarting the program.

I've experimented with buffer sizes, driver modes, driver updates, different sythesizers, and plenty of other things I can't remember anymore. I've tried 2 different MIDIs (Midisport 2x2 and M-Audio Fast Track Pro) and 3 different computers (Windows 10 laptop, Windows 10 desktop, Windows 7 laptop). I've seen several threads posted on this topic, but none of them were ever resolved. I have spent the last 3 weeks fighting the software and neither I, nor my composition teacher who uses Cakewalk products professionally, has been unable to fix it. Seeing that most of what I do requires MIDI, the program is essentially unusable at this point.
post edited by GeorgeJL - 2016/06/20 16:47:38
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Stuck MIDI Notes 2016/06/20 17:05:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby GeorgeJL 2016/06/20 20:17:49
Which plug-in(s) are you using as the synth? Which MIDI buffer sizes have you tried? Are you using some MIDI FX? Have you tied to analyze the data with TrackDiag from http://www.tencrazy.com/gadgets/mfx/ ? Do you have tempo changes in the project? Does that happens in strait play only, in looping only or in both cases?

Stuck MIDI notes mean "Note Off" event is either not delivered correctly or not processed correctly. The only other point can be sustain CC. So all that questions can be relevant.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
GeorgeJL
Re: Stuck MIDI Notes 2016/06/20 17:46:55 (permalink)
I just tried TrackDiag and it basically told me that there were random pedal marks throughout the midi track that were permanately sustained, even if there was no recording there. Erasing seemed to work, but I don't know what could have caused them. Is it possible that moving/deleting tracks can leave just the beginning of a pedal behind?
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Stuck MIDI Notes 2016/06/20 19:58:51 (permalink)
Wow - that's a pretty weird one.

I have had notes stuck on before from time to time - more usually I will have notes NOT play, because their midi note on events were earlier than when I started playback in the Now Time.

Besides the pedal events, each midi note is really composed of 2 separate events, the first being the note ON event, telling the instrument to begin playing whatever note number is attached to the event.  It will then play forever, unless playback is stopped OR it encounters a note OFF midi event for the same note number and instrument - so if you have copied midi data that includes one or more note ON messages without also copying over their corresponding note OFF messages, that could also result in stuck notes.

Hope that wasn't phrased too badly.  :)

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
GeorgeJL
Re: Stuck MIDI Notes 2016/06/20 20:13:15 (permalink)
That does make sense. That may be part of what happened with the pedal, though I don't know why it wouldn't go away even after resetting the audio. Maybe the pedal markings that I found floating around completely outside of the midi tracks just encountered some sort of glitch. Regardless, running TrackDiag and erasing pedal markings everywhere that they aren't supposed to be seems to be working. We'll have to see if that continues to be the case.
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Stuck MIDI Notes 2016/06/21 02:34:25 (permalink)
While that is true about Note ON/OFF, Sonar internally does not store Notes that way. It stores "Note + duration" instead. That way it is technically impossible copy "Note ON" separately.
Pedal is different, that is Continuous Controller. So "Pedal pressed" ( values 1-127) and "Pedal released" (value 0) are completely unrelated from Sonar perspective and can be copied separately.

If you see some CC-64 events randomly appear on there own, that is weird indeed. But if the performance originally has Pedal, the "effect" is easy to achieve by copy/pasting.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1