AnsweredMaybe this Layla ain't that bad ( though she is old..)

Author
Vilovilo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 335
2016/06/22 16:00:55 (permalink)

Maybe this Layla ain't that bad ( though she is old..)

Hi,
Sorry ,sorry ,I would like this post short and clear though I have the feeling I will go long and thick.

So, I posted a thread to mention crashes with my system and I had suspicions towards the old lady named Layla 3g.

Quite quickly,I had ( with surprise and satisfaction) a post from Noel Borthwick and after a real help from Cakewalk the result was everything should be all right ,which was not actually the case but as Noel mentionned it,I think it was a matter of plug-in uncompatibility.

As far as Noel ( again) wrote that there was a memory spike causing the crash I allways opened task manager when running Sonar trying to find clues about what was going on.

So I discovered some interesting things which are helping quite a lot the behavior of my set up allowing to run a project with about 50 tracks ,3 soft synths and some plug-ins with a buffer of 256 samples at 96 K which gives a latency of somewhat 3 ms ( which makes a piano for example quite usable) efficiently.

First one was the Nvidia graphics card was running tons of strange things( updates ,pannel and so on ) so I disabled all of them.

Second I disabled the window precision event timer( while timer resolution is allways working on my system)

Third ,as far as I still use 32 bits plugs,I discovered that J bridge receives a high priority setting by default ,lowering it to normal seems to make things better.

System is Dell T1600 ( because during the Roland area Cakewalk recommended Precision workstations)
16 gig ram ( hiunday and corsair ,I had some suspicions about that but ..I don't know)
Nvidia graphic card ( just to manage two screens which the old Xeon cannot handle)
Layla 3 g ( I also got the Dell because it has a pci slot though it seems to be a bridge)

So maybe this can help ,the Layla is a good lady but I am on the way to replace it with a Lynx E44 .

That is why I will let this forum away for a while ,just to go back on making music and to spare the boxes to get the expensive Lynx.

Thanks for the help which is given here.

All the best.

Olivier.
ChristoperS
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: Maybe this Layla ain't that bad ( though she is old..) 2016/06/22 20:43:05 (permalink)
Nvidia has been adding a lot of bloatware to their drivers lately. Indeed, it seems far too many 'system monitor' apps are starting to show up in the running process list these days.
Vilovilo
Re: Maybe this Layla ain't that bad ( though she is old..) 2016/06/23 03:54:34 (permalink)
With the buffer at 256 samples I'm actually at 6 ms but I wanted to type 128 which is 3 ms and which works.
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Maybe this Layla ain't that bad ( though she is old..) 2016/06/23 09:48:07 (permalink)
Vilovilo
Second I disabled the window precision event timer( while timer resolution is allways working on my system)

Third ,as far as I still use 32 bits plugs,I discovered that J bridge receives a high priority setting by default ,lowering it to normal seems to make things better...

I don't think I've ever heard of these two fixes.  (Although for the second one, admittedly, I only used jBridge for about 4 months).

Glad you got the Old Lady working well again.

Edit:  Well, after doing a search on the first fix, I found a thread that proves I not only heard of it but commented on it -- right here in this forum.  Sigh.  Apparently this Old Man ain't running as smoothly as your Old Lady.
post edited by JonD - 2016/06/23 10:15:01

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Maybe this Layla ain't that bad ( though she is old..) 2016/06/23 10:20:20 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Vilovilo 2017/02/06 11:39:12
FWIW, We found that the Echo PCI cards didn't work well in certain "bridged" PCI slots.  
They cope better in Asus motherboards (due to the bridge chip used) vs. other brands like Gigabyte.
This may or may not be the root of this particular issue, but it's a potential "open door" to problems.
BTW, You'll have the same dilemma the next time you upgrade the machine.  If the new motherboard has PCI slot/s, there's no guarantee the Echo will work with that bridge chip.

Older Lynx PCI card were the worst... refusing to work at all in bridged PCI slots.

RME and M-Audio PCI cards are the most forgiving.  These work fine in all bridged PCI slots that we've tried thus far.

Long-term, I'd liquidate the Echo... and go with a rock-solid replacement (the Lynx is a good choice).
That's one major step forward toward a rock-solid DAW.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Vilovilo
Re: Maybe this Layla ain't that bad ( though she is old..) 2016/06/24 08:04:46 (permalink)
"I don't think I've ever heard of these two fixes. (Although for the second one, admittedly, I only used jBridge for about 4 months."

Well I've Heard about timer resolution in this forum I think ,it said that modern PCs have bad clock and this utility was a great help,then I read posts on gamer's forum suggestions to disable the precision event timer which could make sense in some way ,so I gave a try and at least here,it seems to work.
The second seems also efficient here( I could not imagine why Jbridge would run under high priority)

"Long-term, I'd liquidate the Echo... and go with a rock-solid replacement (the Lynx is a good choice).
That's one major step forward toward a rock-solid DAW."

Hum,hum I'm afraid I do agree.....
post edited by Vilovilo - 2016/06/24 08:26:16
Vilovilo
Re: Maybe this Layla ain't that bad ( though she is old..) 2017/02/06 12:10:41 (permalink)
Hi,
Return in to this old thread to tell what happened since.
Following Jim's suggestion I went ahead to replace the Layla,and after searching I found the Mariann d4 to be a good candidate so I bought it...I struggled with this card because my system didn't like it,though for the few chances I had to make it work I could hear a real difference( it seems to be a very good tool) but I had to send it back.
So I had to carry on with the layla telling myself that I will have to change the whole system if I wanted to change the interface.
Time went by....
And recently I could find a Rme Hdsp aio at a very good price.
Installation went with ease but....the pc was freezing.
Then I flashed the card and it just works like a charm
Maybe it is not night and day compared to the Layla but it is at least foggy day vs clear day In all terms ( ease of use,sound ,stability etc...)
I'm also quite happy to see that my system though not recent ( Dell T1600,Intel xeon,16 giga RAM ,2 ssd) is decent.
Hope thoose experiences will help some of you.
I can close this chapter with a big thank to Jim Roseberry.
Jim Roseberry
Re: Maybe this Layla ain't that bad ( though she is old..) 2017/02/06 12:29:06 (permalink)
Glad all worked out in the end.
You won't regret the RME.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
quantumeffect
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2771
Re: Maybe this Layla ain't that bad ( though she is old..) 2017/02/22 23:52:00 (permalink)
I loved my Layla (I am pretty sure it was 16 bit) and if I remember correctly, I was on the wait list when they first launched the product ... used it from the mid to late 90's probably till about 2004 or so (I am guessing).  Great company too (at least at the time).  It was rock solid until it wasn't and when it wasn't it was long out of warranty.  I called Event electronics, they tried to trouble shoot over the phone and when we couldn't get things working they fixed it at no cost as it turned out to be a hardware issue.

I've been using a Delta 1010 now for several years along with a Studio Cat but am considering going to a RME.

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
Jim Roseberry
Re: Maybe this Layla ain't that bad ( though she is old..) 2017/02/23 11:58:15 (permalink)
quantumeffect
I've been using a Delta 1010 now for several years along with a Studio Cat but am considering going to a RME.

FWIW, The Delta series was more forgiving with Bridged PCI slots.
Many folks have gotten a lot of mileage (10+ years) out of the Delta series.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1