Sonar Pro>Midi channels

Author
LWD1982
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2016/06/17 22:55:19 (permalink)

Sonar Pro>Midi channels

Unknown whether it is unable to capture the all output omni, however no sound in the volume meter displays, and neither does the midi.  The sound>sonar>pro midi channel does not record or capture the sound.     

10 Replies Related Threads

Base 57
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 249
    Re: Sonar Pro>Midi channels 2016/06/20 12:20:31 (permalink)
    -1 (1)
    ???
    Maybe I misunderstand the question.* Midi (Omni) outputs do not route to inputs. You would need to route a cable from an out to an in. Also midi tracks do not capture sound (audio) only midi data.

*I think there are some vst3 synths that support internal midi routing but I have not used them. Perhaps posting your questions in the SONAR forum will get more specific answers
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Sonar Pro>Midi channels 2016/06/20 20:14:53 (permalink)
    -1 (1)
    I too was quite confused by your explanation of your issues.

Can you please take another stab at describing what is happening with your midi routing assignments, the audio routing assignments, and perhaps a set of steps that we could follow to try to reproduce your issues on OUR systems?

Whatever is going on, we should hopefully be able to help you get things working :)

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    LWD1982
    Re: Sonar Pro>Midi channels 2016/06/27 15:32:43 (permalink)
    Keep counting on you guys... 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1, The new update failed midi>route, prior update >prompt Sonar>was working, yet again no sound> from external midi, although meter and AI interface readouts correct.  On the money.  Sonar Omni channels readout correct.  Playback should be correct.  No sound.  Again, again.  Keep counting guys.  Working on a 3/1 tempo 75.00 with "session drummer" instrument.  12 measure count in.  Matching Milliseconds with M:B:T exactly to division any hints?

post edited by LWD1982 - 2016/06/27 15:59:57
    robert_e_bone
    Re: Sonar Pro>Midi channels 2016/06/27 16:58:02 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I really have no idea of what any aspect of your content in your posts here means other than that you are expecting to hear sound and are not.

I AM trying to assist you, but unless you can describe EXACTLY what you have set up, and EXACTLY what tracks and settings are in the project, there is VERY little chance anyone will be able to assist you.

Do you have an external midi controller?  

If so, how do you have it connected to your computer - USB? Perhaps an old-style midi connector plugged into either a midi port on an audio interface or on some other device that is connected to the computer?

Are you using a dedicated Audio Interface?

What Driver Mode is Sonar configured to use?

What audio device is Sonar configured to use?

Do other sounds playback OK?

Do you have a soft-synth loaded into the Sonar synth rack?

What tracks do you have set up in this project, and what EXACTLY do you have set for inputs and outputs?

You indicated this is a playback problem.  That would seemingly imply that you have somehow captured some midi data.  IF this is correct, please confirm.  HOW was this midi data captured, and - do you SEE midi data in any clip for any midi track(s) involved with this issue?

Whatever other information you can provide that explains WHAT you have set up, HOW you have things connected AND configured, would really help me or anyone else in the forums be able to assist you.

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    LWD1982
    Re: Sonar Pro>Midi channels 2016/06/28 14:47:26 (permalink)
    My good intention were not to get into linguistical detail. When I read Cakewalk's forum guidelines I had interpreted as only troubleshooting issues that "pertain" to Cakewalk software, thus not extending into other hardware issues.  Therefore I can not answer your "how".

Re-occurring errors upon start up of Sonar professional and midi devices. Sonar Professional with latest upgrade.  Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.  Computer i7 24GB RAM, Windows 7.  Midi controllers> Alesis Fusion 6hd, M-audio keystation 49. settings 16-bit 44khz.

I contemplate any further issues being able to become resolved through the database, the reason was I required immediate urgent help for my mathematical calculations to discover compositions and arrangements.  Thank you for your efforts robert_e_bone

-LWD1982 
    post edited by LWD1982 - 2016/06/28 15:20:49

My Work>
    www.soundclick.com/lesterwaynedobos
    robert_e_bone
    Re: Sonar Pro>Midi channels 2016/06/28 17:36:44 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I understand that you are having errors with Sonar, and that is what I am trying to help you fix.

Sometimes, errors can happen with Sonar, but the CAUSE of the error is maybe that Windows Update has not applied all the maintenance, or maybe the drivers for the audio interface are not the most recent ones.

What I am trying to say is that LOTS of things outside of Sonar itself can still cause Sonar to have errors.  When that happens, it is important to understand EXACTLY what any errors are.  It is not enough to just say that Sonar has an error and have enough knowledge to fix anything.

This is why I was asking the questions I was asking.  For ANYONE to be able to help you, you have to provide more information than you have so far.

I work very hard to give good advice, and work hard to provide solutions/fixes to issues folks are having.

Please consider looking back at the earlier questions I was asking, and think about what someone else would need to know in order to help you.

If your CAR didn't work, and you called the mechanic, the first thing he would want to know is - What is the car doing that is a problem?  If all you did was tell him it just doesn't work right, he would have no way to know how to help you.

So - IF you describe what the problems are that you are having - maybe there is an error message, or it crashes, or when you insert a track and the program freezes, or you can't export data - whatever is happening - it is ONLY if you describe your issues that someone can help you.

I would be happy to help you fix your issues - I cannot do that without you participating in that process.

I will remain available to help you, if you want my help, 

Bob Bone

LWD1982
    Re: Sonar Pro>Midi channels 2016/06/29 14:28:46 (permalink)
    Greetings today Bob,

Sonar>midi is simply being in resolution by synth>Focusrite>input monitoring dial adjustments.  Although sometimes when Sonar>midi channels> are booted up, local control> is sometimes needed on the synth>channel and sometimes not.  I get a green midi level readout, and sometimes a sound level will playback along with the midi level readout.  And sometimes not.   Forgive me please on my lack of description EXACTLY. 

-LWD1982   
    post edited by LWD1982 - 2016/06/29 15:07:02

My Work>
    robert_e_bone
    Re: Sonar Pro>Midi channels 2016/06/29 15:10:24 (permalink)
    Alright - I will brew a whole pot of fresh coffee and try reading through the thread again, and see if I can understand enough to try to help you.  :)

I have some physical therapy people coming to my house shortly, but will come back to this thread later this afternoon.

Bob Bone

LWD1982
    Re: Sonar Pro>Midi channels 2016/06/30 09:50:15 (permalink)
    Hi Bob!  Cakewalk issues here have meanwhile resolute.  Derivative from an (eeprom) failure on Hard drive digital audio workstation routed via cables>AI>USB drivers>Sonar software.  Exactly how sonar pro stops>transport>record>midi> then needing to "close" .cwp and re-open to get the project to "play again" is an issue.  Audio dropouts, when recording long notes in duration have been an issue. 

Does the documentation for sonar have a master channel under console views?  There are 2 monitor speakers that were made with their volume knobs set excessively variant> so when the volume knobs are turned into a peak fixed position it's twin stereo monitor> knob is set at a different fixed level of volume position, it's difficult to calibrate.  Along with Audio interface monitor volume.  Gains 01 & 02>INST instead of line input.  And so on..

Basically balancing the stereo image is ongoing and cumbersome.  Sorry for bouncing>shuffling around problems randomly here.  I'm thinking of all the sonar issues I've encountered and putting them into 1.  Besides the further Cakewalk documentation I have yet to read there doesn't seem to be any other troubling hindrances preventing me from finding base tempo>setting meter/key signatures>record count in's>beat subdivisions>ticks>samples and other explorations to be yet discovered have a great day!  

post edited by LWD1982 - 2016/06/30 10:24:06

My Work>
    robert_e_bone
    Re: Sonar Pro>Midi channels 2016/07/05 16:53:26 (permalink)
    OK - Well, I hope your volume calibration challenges get resolved.  I would suggest you look at the videos on Cake TV and also YouTube has a whole bunch of videos on all kinds of techniques for doing things with Sonar.

Of course, the forums are here for you too :)

Bob Bone

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1